Log 11

Main Page
Logs Index
Log 10

You have gathered at the improbably expensive all-species inn that you’ve been staying at all week. You can only assume that your last two companions will return from their final shopping spree momentarily.
While you wait, you eat one last breakfast in the inn’s resteraunt.

  • Seiankornai is currently lazing on a sunning rock, just outside a big open archway to the main room of the inn
  • Malaina is about halfway done with her meal
  • Vari is lazing along side Seian, enjoying the sun
  • Jessaila decides to be a bit spendthrift with her last civilized meal for a bit, and orders extra bacon with her meal.
  • Malaina chuckles as she steals a piece of bacon from Jess
    Seiankornai: “So it’s off to those master riddlers today, right?”
    Seiankornai: “You’re from there, aren’t you ISabis?”
    Jessaila: “Hey!”
  • Malaina grins at her as she chews the bacon
  • Jessaila steals half of one of Malaina’s pancakes.
    Malaina: “Hey now!”
    Isabis: “Yeah, I’m a college brat. My dad’s been a professor there since I was little.”
    Isabis: “…of course, I studied there too.”
    Jessaila: “Steal my bacon, steal your pancake.”
  • Malaina sticks her tongue out at her as she finishs off her food
  • Isabis eats fruit salad and an omlette
    Isabis has connected.
    Isabis: “I’m officially and Honored Alumnus of the historical studies department.”
    Jessaila: “By the way, Malaina, your pancake was not as good as my bacon.”
    Grok has connected.
    Malaina: “Too bad, your bacon wasn’t all that crispy anyway.”
    Jessaila: “An Honored Alumnus? What does that mean – a fuzzy hat?”
    Seiankornai: “It means she graduated from the college.”
    You whisper to Grok: Welcome. This is where we are: You have gathered at the improbably expensive all-species inn that you’ve been staying at all week. You can only assume that your last two companions will return from their final shopping spree momentarily.
    Grok: ((hey all, sorry for being so late. Church stuff kept me busy))
    You whisper to Grok: Those who were waiting are eat one last breakfast in the inn’s resteraunt.
  • Malaina gets up to go give over her plate and cup
  • Grok loves his pancakes
    Dragonhawk: ((Ah, I understand.))
    Isabis: “Yeah, and that they aren’t sorry I did.”
  • Isabis grins at her own joke
  • Jessaila chuckles.
    Seiankornai: “Ah, the ogre awakes.” Woanish “Good morning, Grok.”
    Isabis: “That’s what the ‘honored’ is for, you understand.”
    Isabis: ((That, and one rank of scholarly renown ))
  • Malaina goes over to check up on Vari
    Grok: W “Good morning.”
  • Isabis waves her spoon thoughfully
    Grok: W “When are we going to beat something up?”
    Isabis: “Maybe I should pick up a book on Woanish for non-native speakers.”
    Seiankornai: “He asks when we shall beat somethign up? Shall I tell him that where we’re going he’ll be the one more likely to get beaten a lot, if only in terms of thinking?”
    Isabis: “Er. No need to antagonize him.”
    Isabis: “Tell him if we solve the riddlemasters’ riddle, they’ll send us to beat up something /very intersting.”
  • Thurirl slinks in for breakfast after his morning walk. Only three noticed him. He’s slipping.
    Jessaila: “Good answer.”
  • Isabis eyes Grok’s cannon and pack
    Seiankornai: You know, it’s lizards like you that make everyone think we reptiles are all slippery."
  • Seiankornai tells Grok what Isabis suggested
    Isabis: “I still can’t believe the royal armory sold him a /gunpowder siege/ weapon.”
    Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 8 + 10 = 18 » Notice
    Grok: W “What is the riddle?”
  • Seiankornai acts as translator
    Isabis: “They haven’t told us yet. We have to follow VenVellesin’s…er, clue, to get to the next, um, clue.”
  • Grok face’s falls on not having a riddle to solve.
  • Isabis misinterprets his face
    Isabis: “Don’t worry, I’m sure when we find something to beat up, it will be a fine battle.”
    Grok: W “Where riddle?”
    Seiankornai: W “At the riddlemasters, we’re going there as soon as everyone is done with breakfast.”
  • Malaina is lounging on Vari’s back, scratching at the spines there
    Isabis: “Well, when breakfast is over and Jamshid is back.”
    Isabis: “Does anyone know where he went? Last I saw him, he was saying something about borrowing a workshop.”
  • Malaina shakes her head
  • Grok goes upstairs to Jamshid’s bed, and drags him out of it and downstairs.
  • Thurirl orders a nice steak for breakfast, to go.
    Jamshid is not to upstairs, alas
    Jessaila: ((Can we just presume he’s with us and move on?))
  • Grok wanders around town, looking for Jamshid.
    Seiankornai: ((GM is calling him))
    Malaina: ((XD))
    Grok: ((if grok finds him, he is dragging him along to the Inn. Willingly or not.
    Seiankornai: ((he’ll be on in a few minutes))
  • Isabis looks bemusedly out the door Grok just disappeared through.
    Isabis: “Did I misunderstand, or is the ogre really excited about being told a /riddle/ ?”
    Thurirl: “Stranger things have happened, I am sure.”
    Seiankornai: “I think he’s excited that a riddle will lead to bashing.”
    Jamshid par-Bahadur has connected.
    Jessaila: “I think he was more excited about the riddle.”
  • Grok comes in with Jamshid struggling in his grip.
    Grok: W “Found him.”
    Jessaila: “Though the bashing might be an alternative explanation.”
  • Isabis finishes the last of her food and stands
  • Seiankornai shakes his head, “He didn’t interrupt your business too much, I hope.”
  • Thurirl quietly eats his rare steak, watching the proceedings with faint amusement.
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “Only a cup of fine coffee”
    Isabis: “Ah. Well, too bad about your beverage, but I do hope you are ready to go. We have another fair hike ahead of us, after all.”
  • Malaina hops off Vari’s back
  • Dragonhawk ((rolls dice…reads table…laughs the crazy GM laugh))
    Seiankornai: ((uh oh))
  • Grok attempts to take the table away from the GM.
    Thurirl: ((oh hell))
    Thurirl: ((do I even want to know which table she’s using?))
    Seiankornai: “It is a pity you humans, elves, and vessa lack wings, oh and ogres, or if we had more drakes, then we could just fly instead of walk.”
    Dragonhawk: ((random encounters: mountainous terrain))
    Grok: ((maybe we found a goat.))
  • Vari snorts, standing up and stretching, flapping his wings a few times before folding them down and following after Mala
    Dragonhawk: ((close. the table says “llama” ))
    Thurirl: ((a goat possessed by a powerful demon… of llama…))
    Jessaila: ((Ooh a llama.))
    Jessaila: ((I will capture it.))
    Dragonhawk: ((now I have to decide if this setting actually has llamas… ))
    Jessaila: ((Llama hair makes the most excellent wool for blankets.))
    Grok: ((Kill it! It’s worth exp))
    Jessaila: ((I have a llama wool blanket and it is so snuggly.))
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((it has camels … Llamas are a subcategory of camel after all))
    Dragonhawk: ((you have to get on the trail before you can randomly encounter something in the mountains ))
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((I can’t imagine it doing anything worse than spit on us however))
  • Grok gets on the trail
  • Seiankornai gets up and strechtes, and gives his wings a quick shake before folding them up again. “Let us be off then, we don’t want to delay Grok his opportunity to use that cannon of his, do we?”
  • Jessaila heads out.
  • Isabis shakes her head at the cannon one more time, shoulders her pack, and gets moving
    Jessaila: “Actually, some of us might…”
    Jessaila: “Depends on the sort of opportunity…”
  • Thurirl tries to ignore the cannon as he walks behind the others, finishing up his steak as he goes.
    The trail from Caskanneth to Arun goes over yet another high pass. You hike up steep slopes, already missing the city’s nice flat pavement (not to mention warm inns)
  • Grok leads the way
  • Thurirl pulls his cloak around him a little more, wishing the steak had been cooked longer.
  • Malaina riding on Vari’s saddle
    Late in the afternoon, you round the bend in a switchback and discover a large Rybou is currently in posession of the next leg of the path.
  • Rybou snorts at you suspiciously.
    Jessaila: ((What’s a rybou?))
    Thurirl: ((that ain’t no llama! D=))
  • Vari tilts his head, curious
    Rybou: ((“Related to elk and elands, rybou are tawny-gold grazing animals native to Anmai. Swift of foot and capable of incredible leaps, they are difficult to hunt and even more difficult to capture alive. Those that are caught can sometimes be trained to the saddle, but these powerful steeds are not for the faint of heart or anyone who is afraid of heights.”))
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “What say you Jessalia, shall we attempt to capture it alive?”
    Jessaila: "The way it’s looking at us? We could try, though it’d be quite the challenge.
  • Rybou shakes his magnificent, sprial horns at you
  • Thurirl regards the beast with curiosity.
    Grok: W “What is it?”
  • Vari asks if he can just fly, having no interest in the animal
  • Thurirl finds himself wondering how it would taste.
    Seiankornai: W “It’s a Rybou, humans use them for riding sometimes. Jamshid has stated interest in such.”
    Jessaila: “Yes. I’ve ridden one before. It wasn’t my thing.”
    Grok: W “How do they taste?”
    Seiankornai: “Grok is interested in knowing how they taste.”
    Seiankornai: “I’ve never tried them, so I can not comment.”
    Thurirl: “Perhaps we could attempt to discover its taste for ourselves.”
    Jessaila: “Actually, I think they taste pretty… oh no he’s going to use the cannon isn’t he.”
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((Jamshid’s player did, although that was technically before he discovered that riding things makes yyou easy to hit))
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur facepalms
    Thurirl: mutters “No appreciation of subtlety…”
    Isabis: ((on the other hand, you can make the mount absorb the damage for you.))
    Seiankornai: “I can tell him you think they taste terrible if you don’t want him to shoot his cannon.”
  • Vari flaps his wings and lifts off into the air to fly around a little, bored
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: W “Anything tastes terrible if you hit it with heavy artillery first”
    Isabis: “Actually, they’re not bad. He looks kind of tough to me, though.”
    Jessaila: “Tell him that if we capture it alive, we could probably sell it for more money than the meat’s worth.”
    Seiankornai: “Be careful not to scare it into attacking, Vari.”
    Seiankornai: W “They want to capture it alive and sell it for more money than the meat would be worth.”
  • Rybou retreats up the trail a way, to a place where it can hide under a scraggly bush.
  • Rybou seems nervous about Vari
  • Grok attempts calm it down.
    Grok: ((Survival roll?))
  • Vari keeps flying higher into the sky until he is pretty much a speck
    Jessaila: “Although seriously, rybous don’t taste too bad, either.”
    Seiankornai: ((Grok, do you have a combined career level and Survival bonus of 15?))
    Jessaila: “So if you want to save food money and don’t mind standing around while I butcher it to steaks, then we can do that.”
    Jessaila: “Or we can try to capture and sell it.”
    Grok: ((no, not yet))
    Seiankornai: ((ok, then you won’t be able to train it yet))
    Jessaila: ((I do have a bonus that high, however.))
    Jessaila: ((Survival 10, career level 5.))
    Rybou: ((works))
    Rybou: ((or you could sell it to a trainer, possibly as a “trade in” value against a fully-trained one))
  • Grok is still attempting to calm it down.
    Rybou: ((yes, survival))
    Grok: « 1d20+8 = 2 + 8 = 10 »
    Jessaila: “No, Grok, don’t get that close…”
    Grok: ((Darn, Grok isn’t a calming presence? Surprise.))
    Rybou resists Grok’s calming(?) influence « 1d20 = 16 »
  • Rybou seems even more nervous
    Jessaila: “Grok, I advise you to back slowly away.”
  • Rybou paws the ground uneasily and shakes his horns at you again
    Jessaila: “And don’t turn your back.”
  • Grok growls in response.
  • Thurirl leans against a tree and goes still.
    Seiankornai: W “Grok, move away from it.”
    Jessaila: “And don’t do that.”
    Seiankornai: W “You seem to be scaring it. Let the elf handle this, elves are natural when it comes to animals, except eating them, then it’s you and me.”
  • Grok looks back at Seiankornai, and slowly backs away.
  • Jessaila glances at Isabis. “Wonderful. An ogre’s growl sounds just like a rybou bull’s mating challenge.”
    Isabis: “…that’s not something you find in the natural history books.”
  • Seiankornai passes that along to Grok
  • Rybou looks for Vari but doesn’t see him any more.
    Jessaila: “No, it’s something you learn by wandering around in a forest.”
    Jessaila: “Rope, please.”
    Rybou: ((survival check if you’re trying to calm it.))
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur hands her some rope
    Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 6 + 10 = 16 » Survival
    Jessaila: ((Argh. ))
    Seiankornai: ((remember action dice))
  • Thurirl observes from the tree, checking that his knife is free in case the beast needs killing.
    Rybou resists Jessaila’s calming(?) influence « 1d20 = 13 »
    Seiankornai: ((if you really, really want to try for higher))
  • Rybou eyes the rope nervously, but stops with the pawing and the snorting
  • Rybou retreats slowly to the upper bend
  • Jessaila puts the rope over her shoulder and leaves her hands free.
    Jessaila: “Okay. It’s still confused by receiving a mating challenge, I think.”
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur assists Jessalia’s roll 5
  • Jessaila gives a series of soft, low whistles.
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ….or not
    Rybou: (( Thinking something like “A Rival! …wait. Is that a Rybou? It doesn’t smell like another Rybou.”))
    Seiankornai: “Don’t spend too long on this, Jessaila. There’s other things we need to do today, or tomorrow at the latest.”
    Jamshid stumbles on a rock and falls behind Jessaila. 1 pt. vitality damage from badly stubbed toe. ((1 DM action die))
    Grok: ((Rybou 1, Party 0)
    Rybou: ((Are you planning to sneak that rope around it’s neck? That will be prestidigitation.))
  • Jessaila keeps moving slowly and unthreateningly towards it.
    Jessaila: “You like nose rubs, don’t you? Yes, all rybous like nose rubs. And can you smell an apple? I have one.”
  • Rybou backs a step, notices that there’s a cliff behind it, and ends up dithering about which way to jump until Jessaila is right on top of it.
  • Rybou sniffs
  • Jessaila stops a few feet short and waits for the rybou to come the rest of the way.
    Jessaila: “Come on, want a nose-rub?”
    Jessaila: “I’ll give you a nice, soothing nose-rub. I know you want one.”
  • Rybou sniffs some more, then steps forward a step and sniffs at Jessaila’s pack. You think he is more interested in the apple than the nose-rub right now
    Jessaila: “Ah, you’re hungry. Yes, you want the apple, don’t you.”
  • Jessaila slowly opens her pack and pulls out the apple, but takes a step back from the rybou, leading it to follow her.
  • Rybou jerks back and eyes Jessaila when she talks – what’s with the noises? – but follows a few steps, trying to reach the apple.
  • Jessaila puts her free hand out while withholding the apple just a bit. The rybou will have to brush past her hand to reach the apple.
  • Rybou thinks about this one for a looong moment, then darts his head forward for the elusive fruit.
  • Jessaila brushes the rybou’s nose while opening her hand to let the rybou take the apple.
  • Jessaila avoids losing any fingers, fortunately.
  • Rybou snorts and retreats a step
  • Jessaila waits while the rybou chews.
  • Rybou looks at you all again. He’s decided you are not hungry drakes, apparently.
  • Rybou flicks an ear.
  • Jessaila reaches out a hand again, not all the way to the rybou but much of it.
  • Rybou looks down the switchback trail (as in, over the side)
  • Grok takes out his rope and makes it into a lasso
  • Grok then readys an action to throw rope over neck if it flees.
  • Rybou eyes Grok, then Jessaila, then whatever is below again.
    Jessaila: “I don’t know what you people are doing behind me, but it’s making the creature nervous.”
    Seiankornai: “I’m just sitting here.”
    Jessaila: “I swear if you people get me gored by this thing I’m going to come back from the dead just to beat you over the head.”
    Grok: ((Violent elf.))
  • Thurirl is not moving an inch. He doubts the Rybou can even see him. The ogre, on the other hand…
    Isabis: “Gored isn’t the most dangerous thing you could get that close to the edge of a cliff.”
    Jessaila: “That’s true.”
  • Jessaila decides to take a short step back.
  • Rybou is still looking below. Something down there is more interesting to mountain ruminants than you all are.
  • Seiankornai is curious
    Seiankornai: “What’s it looking at?”
    Jessaila: “Don’t know.”
  • Vari still flying high up in the sky
  • Jessaila looks.
    Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 16 + 10 = 26 » Notice
    Rybou: ((tasty tasty grass, maybe?))
  • Malaina flying with him
    Thurirl: ((I have a bad feeling about this))
  • Jessaila slowly takes a step forward again and puts her hand on the rybou’s nose.
  • Rybou snorts at you and backs up
    Grok: ((How far away is Grok from the Rybou?))
  • Jessaila lets it back up. The key, she knows, is not to rush and not to force the animal into a place where it feels cornered.
    Thurirl: ((brb; making bed))
    Rybou: ((about 40’ I guess.))
    Grok: ((Darn. O well))
  • Rybou steps down onto a …ledge? You didn’t notice a ledge there, but then, you aren’t a giant mountain goat
    Jessaila: “Bah.”
    Seiankornai: “It finds you… boring. Let’s go on to more interesting riddles.”
  • Rybou starts picking it’s way down the cliff face.
    Jessaila: “Well, bother.”
  • Vari starts is descent
    Rybou: ((if you want to rope it, this is you last chance))
    Grok: ((out of range))
    Rybou: ((Jessaila))
  • Seiankornai approaches Jessaila
  • Jessaila pulls the rope off her shoulder and tosses the lasso.
    Rybou: ((presti))
    Jessaila: « 1d20+7 = 19 + 7 = 26 » Prestidigitation
    Rybou: ((that doesn’t happen to be a crit threat, does it?))
    Jessaila: ((Um, dunno.))
    Seiankornai: ((do you have a basic skill mastery for Presti?))
    Jessaila: ((I don’t… think so. How would I check?))
    Grok: ((if you don’t think so, you don’t have it. It’s a feat))
    Jessaila: ((Then I don’t have it. ))
  • Rybou can’t duck that, especially not while he’s pinned to the ledge.
    « 1d20+3 = 12 + 3 = 15 » crit reflex save?
    Jessaila: “Going to need help now!”
    Seiankornai: WGROK! Rope for you!”
  • Rybou jerks against the rope, trying to get himself to a place where he can leverage his weight properly, and ends up back on the trail proper
  • Grok rushes up and grabs the rope.
    Rybou: ((grapple check to subdue an unwiling animal))
    Seiankornai: ((which is athletics))
    Grok: ((me or her?))
    Jessaila: ((You, please.))
    Seiankornai: ((any circumstance bonus for the rope?))
    Rybou: ((I’ll give that a +2))
    Grok: ((Got to see if the DM would allow it first.))
  • Vari lands close by
    Rybou: athletics « 1d20+9 = 4 + 9 = 13 » to resist grapple
    Rybou: ((Oh, yes, you said you were grabbing the rope and all))
  • Grok grapples with the rope « 1d20+21 = 6 + 21 = 27 »
    Seiankornai: ((how do you have a +21?))
  • Grok starts pulling it in.
    Grok: ((She said +2 for rope))
    Seiankornai: ((how do you have a +19 then?))
    Rybou: ((how do you have a +19?))
    Jessaila: “Be careful, if it tries to go for you, let it go past. Beware the horns.”
    Grok: ((10 ranks atletics, +4 Str bonus, Str path gives +5 to athletics checks))
    Rybou: ((I have your grapple check down as +10 O.o ))
    Seiankornai: ((ahhhh))
    Rybou: ((…ah, ranks, not bonus. so noted.))
  • Rybou is sullenly subdued
    Jessaila: “Okay. That didn’t go like I wanted, but not as badly as it could have.”
    Seiankornai: “Well, this is fortunate, in some ways, though the thing will probably slow us down a little.”
    Isabis: “Maybe we can trade up for a trained one in town.”
  • Vari makes his way over, stopping to let Mala down
    Malaina: “I see you finally caught it.”
  • Grok is keeping a hand on the rope, just in case the Rybou tries to make a break for it.
    Jessaila: “Yeah. More trouble than we’d hoped, however.”
  • Rybou startles and tries to flee the new drake, only to get caught up against the rope again
  • Jessaila slips another noose on it just for safety.
    Isabis: "Well, they’re practically famous for being hard to catch.
  • Thurirl moves from his tree, hoping they can make better time now that the thing is caught.
  • Vari snorts at the Rybou and goes on past it, giving it no more attention
    Malaina: “Heh, I hope it was worth it.”
  • Isabis digs out another apple, ties it to her pack, and leads the way up the path.
    Jessaila: “Well, I could start training it, if you wish. Makes it worth more.”
  • Malaina catchs up to Vari and walks by his side
    Jessaila: “It’d take awhile, though.”
  • Rybou shakes it’s head and follows the apple up the trail
  • Grok continues after the Rybou
    Seiankornai: “Best to just sell it I think. We Sunchasers don’t stay in one spot for too long.”
    Seiankornai: “Unless those riddlemasters tell some very difficult riddles that even I would have trouble with.”
    You walk up the trail, talking riddles and old adventures.
    Very late that evening, you drag a tired and recalcitrant rybou into the inn yard. To be fair, most of you are feeling tired and recalcitrant yourselves by that point.
    The next morning looks rosier, however. Everyone is less tired, the valuable animal is still in it’s stall and eating hay almost like a proper mount, and anwers (or at least more interesting riddles) are probably just ahead.
    Dragonhawk: ((answers, even))
  • Seiankornai has at times during hte journey, been tempted to bite the things head off. But he’s a good drake, and has resisted
  • Isabis is up early, chatting up the inkeeper
  • Vari has been told by Mala to leave it alone and so he has, ignoring it
    Seiankornai: “It’s been awhile since I’ve visited here. Maybe five years?”
    Dragonhawk: ((Someone can try to sell the Rybou with a haggle check. Jessaila or Jamshid, I would think? ))
  • Grok is ready to begin the day
  • Jessaila can try to sell it, sure.
    Jessaila: ((But my haggle check is low.))
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur will sell the Rybou
  • Thurirl is out watching the sunrise.
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: Haggle 8
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((if that doesn’t bring a decent price, Jamshid votes we keep it and move on))
    Thurirl: ((Jamshid is offered a cardboard cut-out of a llama =P))
    Jessaila: « 1d20+2 = 9 + 2 = 11 » Haggle
    Grok: ((i’d suggest that won’t be a decent price))
    Dragonhawk: ((that will get you a rather low price. You could pay the guy to train it for you, instead, and pick it up as a riding mount.))
    « 700*.4 = Invalid expression: 700*.4. »
    « 700*0.4 = 700 * 0.4 = 280.0 »
  • Jessaila talks it over with the others and recommends declining the offer.
    Rybou Trainer: “I could give you mebbe 200 for ‘im. He looks scrawny. If you like him that much, I’d be willing to train ’im for 260.”
    Seiankornai: ((he needs to make a haggle check, though))
    Rybou Trainer: « 1d20+8 = 13 + 8 = 21 »
    Seiankornai: ((buyer wins by 10, so 50% of asking price))
  • Rybou Trainer stands under a sign offering Rybou Mounts for sale at 700s
    Rybou Trainer: ((OK, so you can work him up to 350 ))
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((I vote we sell at 350))
    Jessaila: ((Wait, so. We could get 350s or pay 260s to have him trained.))
    Jessaila: ((In which case, it’d be worth more than 350s, I’d suspect.))
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((not more than 700, I say we take the 350))
    Seiankornai: ((technically, the 700 would be for a trained one))
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((unless someone really wants the mount))
    Seiankornai: ((weren’t you interested in a Rybou mount, Jamshid?))
  • Jessaila will go along with whatever people decide, then.
    Seiankornai: ((may as well sell it))
  • Malaina is with Jess on this
    Grok: ((sell it))
    Seiankornai: ((anyone opposed to selling it?))
    You sell the rybou for 350s, or 50s each.
    Then you head out to the riddlemasters’ college
  • Jessaila will be glad to get there.
  • Isabis leads the way to the listed office, and presents the card to the secretary there.
    DepartmentSecretary: “Oh, of course. You want to see Professor Serche.”
  • Seiankornai remembers that the halls, while not small, are a tad on the tight size for him
  • Jessaila follows Isabis.
  • Vari follows behind Mala, not liking the tight space at all
    Isabis: “Ah, I know the way to his office.”
  • Grok joins in, and is wearing his red fez
  • Malaina follows after the others
  • Isabis turns to the others
    Jessaila: “It’s okay, the ogre’s with us.”
    Seiankornai: “Civilized ogre, what a surprise.”
    Isabis: “Who do you want to see first? Prof Serche, or my father?”
  • DepartmentSecretary looks moderately nervouse, but not panicky.
  • Thurirl follows the others with hardly a sound.
    Seiankornai: “Let’s check with your father, and see if he knew about that lady’s methods.”
    DepartmentSecretary: “Heh, he can’t be worse than an undergraduate on die-day.”
    Seiankornai: “‘Die-day’?”
    Jessaila: “Isabis, perhaps we could find a place to wait while you drop in on your father? I’m sure you’d prefer a few moments alone without all of us trying to cram into an office.”
    DepartmentSecretary: "The last day for written work. It’s “do or die” on that day…the students who have trouble with deadlines tend to shorten the phrase on the morbid end, as it were."
  • Isabis shrugs
    Seiankornai: “Yes, that might be best.” ((then we can fast forward time a bit))
    Isabis: “It’s not as though I hadn’t seen him in years or anything, and I’m just going to ask the questions you all want to hear.”
    Isabis: “But if you’d prefer it, that’s OK too.”
    Jessaila: “Well, say hello, then say we’re here and you can rejoin us.”
    Isabis: “Heh, OK. You should wait on the green, then, and I’ll bring him down there to talk where it’s less crowded for the drakes.”
    Jessaila: “Good idea.”
  • Isabis points out a good meeting tree through a window, then jogs down the hallway across from the secretary
    Jessaila: “…where’s the Green.”
    Thurirl: “I doubt he would even notice me in the room, except when I came in and left.”
    Seiankornai: “Very well.”
    Seiankornai: “It’s out in the back.”
    Jessaila: “Ah.”
    Seiankornai: “Follow me. We’ll meet you there, ISabis.”
  • Jessaila heads that way, then.
  • Thurirl follows to the meeting place with the others.
    Seiankornai gets you out the right door, and then you recognize the tree. Isabis and her father join you ten minutes later
  • Isabis introduces everyone.
  • Jessaila bows and gives a traditional and slightly formal (stuffy) elven greeting.
    Isabis: “Jessaila, Jamshid, Malaina – you should interview her sometime – Vari’s with her, this is Seiankornai, and Thurirl is… Thurirl, come out and shake hands, please?”
  • Thurirl steps forward, taking care to make himself obvious.
    Isabis: “And the Ogre is Grok, Jamshid or Seian have to translate to Woanish for him.”
  • ProfEstolin shakes hands all around
  • Thurirl is not used to shaking hands, but does his best, adding in a polite bow.
    Isabis: “Everyone, this is my father, Professor Lord Halwell Kennard Estolin.”
  • Malaina nods her head in greeting
  • Seiankornai nods his head to him, a drake equivelent of a polite small bow
  • Jessaila speaks in Kamil: “Good fortune and favor on you and your house.”
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur bows deeply
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “A pleasure to meet you sir”
    ProfEstolin: “Thank you, the pleasure is assuredly mine. Now what is this question you all wanted to ask me?”
    Seiankornai: “I am Seiankornai deev’Ornhysvear. We might have met once, briefly, about five years ago.”
  • Jessaila will let Isabis ask that question.
    Isabis: “Er, yes. Well. Basically… What’s with VenVellesin and the fake ruin-delving job? Did you /know/ it was fake? Why did you suggest it?”
  • ProfEstolin blinks
  • Malaina folds her arms, almost glaring at him
    ProfEstolin: “Fake? What…you did get paid, did you not?”
    Seiankornai: “We did, but this Norn person sets it up.”
    Thurirl: “Payment is not the issue. We were led to believe one thing and found truth to be another.”
    Jessaila: “Not fake – set up under false pretenses.”
    Malaina: “My drake almost died because of the position she put us in!”
    Jessaila: “Indirectly, yes.”
    ProfEstolin: “I find that very surprising. The whole point of the test job is that it is a relatively controlled situation, with known risk factors, which will typically drive the insufficiently skilled to retreat without getting them killed.”
    ProfEstolin: “I believe the theory is that the work ethic, relic handling ethic, preparatory ability, ect, of the group under evaluation is best determined when they think it’s an ordinary job and not a test.”
    Jessaila: “I must reluctantly agree with that assessment.”
  • Malaina gives Jessaila an almost hate filled glare and goes to stand beside Vari, wanting to put some distance between her and the elf
    Isabis: “Oh…preparatory abilities. That…does make sense. Anyone will be ready for a grave-bane if they /know/ it’s there, but if you need someone who can handle it when you /didn’t/ tell them in advance…”
    ProfEstolin: “The low-risk nature of the task is actually part of the department’s requirements. Please, tell me what happened that brought a mature dreak near to death – we may have to ask Norn to revise the job, or remediate the site.”
    Jessaila: “Unfortunately, the difficulty was with the ‘relatively controlled situation’ turning out of control.”
    ProfEstolin: “In what manner?”
    Jessaila: “It seems that the wolves on the site were led by a… forgot the word.
    Isabis: “Vargr.”
  • Malaina folds her arms and looks away from everyone, now in a bad mood since being reminded
    Seiankornai: “Plus a member or two of the group being partial to wolves, was a bit distressful, particularly after the nature of the thing was discovered.”
  • Vari hangs a wing over Mala, lowering his head to nudge at her
    Jessaila: “When we arrived, the wolves attacked us before the vargr could rally and withdraw the pack, as he is wont to do in these situations.”
    Jessaila: “As such, we… ah, cut a swath through them.”
    ProfEstolin: “Unfortunate for him and the animals, I suppose. Er…you didn’t kill Raulf himself, did you?”
    Seiankornai: “No, he ran off.”
    Jessaila: “The vargr was angered and informed a group of bandits that we had significant silver; The bandits proceeded to ambush us in the night.”
    Jessaila: “It was during that fight that Vari was severely injured.”
    Seiankornai: “That’s when this young drake here got a bit banged up.”
    ProfEstolin: “In a fight with bandits? I thought sunchasers ate highwaymen for breakfast.”
  • ProfEstolin squints at Vari
    Seiankornai: “He’s still a bit on the young side.”
  • Vari growls and glares at him
    ProfEstolin: “How old are you, then?”
    Grok: ((no, we eat arrogant professors for breakfast))
    Jessaila: ((Now now!))
  • Vari growls louder, smoke coming from between his teeth
  • Isabis winces at the “highwaymen for breakfast” comment.
    Malaina: “His age is none of your business….”
    Seiankornai: “And he really wasn’t that badly hurt either. Didn’t even have a wound with flowing blood.”
    Isabis: “Dad, no fair quoting what I told mom on her /death bed/. I was just trying to be reassuring.”
    Seiankornai: ((he just took vitality damage, after all, no wound damage))
    Seiankornai: “Granted, it could have been worse if it took too much longer to dispatch the bandits.”
    Malaina: ((Do not try justifying that to Mala, ever))
  • ProfEstolin seems genuinely puzzled as to why Vari and Malaina are so upset
  • Malaina half tempted to leave and wait for the others
  • Jessaila thinks she will need to have a private conversation sometime with Mala.
    Jessaila: ((A nice conversation, not a lecture. ))
    ProfEstolin: “Hmm. Well, I’ll have the hiring committe re-evaluate the site, at any rate. And mention it to the knightly orders. If there are such large bandit groups there that they are a serious threat to large sunchaser groups like this, then someone needs to raid a few bandit camps.”
    Jessaila: “I left a full report of the incident with the captain who took care of our prisoners.”
    Seiankornai: “Anyway, I think that’s all we wanted to ask you about, isn’t it?”
    ProfEstolin: “Ah, a wise move.”
    Seiankornai: “we ought to go talk to that other professor, who has the real job.”
    Jessaila: “Indeed, we ought.”
    ProfEstolin: “Ah, good, do speak with him. Between you, me, and the bricks, I really think this job needs careful handling.”
  • Jessaila nods.
    ProfEstolin: “That’s why I was so anxious for Isabis to get the VenVellesin ruin test out of the way.”
    Isabis: “I guess we should go speak with Professor Serche then?”
    ProfEstolin: ((all opposed say ‘nay’ before I’m done typing ))
    Jessaila: ((Yay!))
    Malaina: ((What?))
    Seiankornai: ((off to the professor!))
    You take your leave of Professor Estolin and return to the hallways, where Isabis leads you down the hallway next to the secretary this time. Prof. Serche looks at your group, and immediately suggests a conference room, but after only a little more walking around hallways you are all comfortable seated around a scarred table, Norn’s card before you.
  • Malaina doesn’t sit, but instead leans against Varis neck, arms folded and not looking happy
    ProfSerche: “So. I’ve heard from Researcher VenVellesin regarding you. Not entirely a positive report, if you weren’t aware already.”
  • ProfSerche frowns at a notepad
    Grok: W “He say riddle yet?”
    ProfSerche: “Still, passable, hardly the worst she’s ever had to send me. And of course, we know Isabis from her previous work with the department.”
    Seiankornai: W “Not yet.”
    Jessaila: “We passed her test and a bit more besides.”
    Seiankornai: “we were just unhappy not being told the full truth of the matter.”
    ProfSerche: “Yes, she wrote me about the bandits. And the young drake. I will keep to myself my opinion of taking children, even drakish children, on a ruin-delving mission…”
    ProfSerche: “Ahem.”
  • Malaina keeps her mouth shut before she says something insulting and orders Vari to burn this place down
    ProfSerche: “So you are wanting to hear about the job. I’m sorry to say the full truth of this matter is a bit…sparse.”
    Seiankornai: “Just as long as you tell us the truth that you know.”
    Seiankornai: “And only that.”
    ProfSerche: “Indeed. Well. I’m sure you’ve all heard about the supposed cycle wherin the Crone is enabled to attempt a breakout once every 77th local year.”
  • Jessaila nods.
    Seiankornai: “Yes? Will this involve destroying goblins?”
    Jessaila: “Shh.”
    ProfSerche: “And anyone who cares to do the math will realize that the next opportunity is in 231, just a few years away.”
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “Indeed”
    ProfSerche: “Some among us are attempting to solve the riddle of the 77th-year weakness, and yet others of us are attempting to research a less vulnerable seal. As you can imagine, these lines of research have taken on increasing importance as the year approaches.”
    ProfSerche: “There is a certain ruin where we believe a significant research facility was once sited. It is alleged to have been one of the last sites of high-elven magical research to operate at any level, however limited.”
    ProfSerche: “There is some reason to think that someone was still there at the time of the first opening of the Bitterwell. ‘Natually’ it’s right on the edge of the High Tombs, far to close to gaunt elf territory for a regular archaeological expedition.”
  • Jessaila nods, her interest piqued.
    ProfSerche: “…not to mention, way to close to the bitterwell.”
    Jessaila: “Ah.”
  • ProfSerche sighs heavily
  • Isabis , on the other hand, sits up straighter
    Jessaila: “I know the place you’re talking about.”
    Isabis: “Do you mean that you’re planning to send out a sunchaser group /alone/ to search for information?”
    ProfSerche: “The last time a researched tried to tag along on a trip up there, we had to find substitutes for all his classes for a full semester while he recovered.”
    Jessaila: “He’s lucky that was all that happened.”
  • ProfSerche sighs again
    ProfSerche: “Yet I’d go myself, if I thought I’d get to see the ruin before they shot me full of arrows or whatever it is they do.”
    ProfSerche: “At any rate, basically, we want you to go to the ruin, recover anything with words on it, and come back.”
  • Isabis cocks her head.
    Isabis: “Carvings?”
    ProfSerche: “Make rubbings, if you please.”
    Isabis: “Hmm.”
    Seiankornai: “Sounds easy enough.”
  • Seiankornai tells Grok that he wants us to go to some ruins and find writings. There’ll likely be plenty of things that need bashing, such as gaunt elves and minions of the Crone
    Jessaila: “I walked past the place once.”
    Isabis: “Well, we won’t have trouble finding it anyway.”
    Jessaila: “No, just getting there.”
    ProfSerche: ((anything else to say before we close up?))
    Malaina: ((Nope))
    ProfSerche: “That’s really all we know. The location of the ruin, what it supposedly was, and what we think we’re looking for.”
    Jessaila: ((Jessaila wants to clear the air with Malaina, but that doesn’t necessarily have to be now.))
    ProfSerche: “If you care to take it on, you will want to see the university employment office, and show them this card again.”
    The professor shakes your hands again (except Thurirl, whom he doesn’t know exists ) and sees you out.
    Game Saved
    Log Saved

Log 11-S

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 11

Sunchasers DH drgnhawk