Log 17

Main Page
Logs Index
Log 16

  • Seiankornai breaths fire on a cauldron of milk and chocolate, “Hot chocolate anyone?”
    Jessaila: Ooh, thanks.

Dragonhawk: ((now that’s an efficient way to make a hot beverage))

Thurirl: I’m good, thanks.

  • Malaina raises her hand
  • Thurirl pours her a mug
  • Malaina sips from her mug
  • Seiankornai pours himself a bowl of it and starts lapping it up
  • Grok eyes the cauldron

Dragonhawk: well…it’s been 5 minutes twice

  • Jessaila suggests we light them on fire.

Dragonhawk: light….the minlutes? on fire?

Malaina: yea!

Grok: sounds good to me

Jessaila: Yes. They should burn nicely.

  • Malaina hands her a clock
  • Dragonhawk wonders how much cold medicine her players have been drinking
    Malaina: Not enough!

Thurirl: XD

  • Thurirl offers more Nyquil.
  • Jessaila has the forty-proof stuff, but thanks.
  • Dragonhawk could probably use some, but not until she’s /ready/ to go to slee
    Jessaila: Yes. It’s not time to slee.

Thurirl: think we lost the GM

  • Thurirl pokes her with a stick
    Dragonhawk: ahem

Thurirl: eep

  • Thurirl is now suddenly in the corner
    When last we left our heroes, …
    Jessaila: Next Wednesday, I presume no game?
  • Malaina baps Bandit and then gets IC
    Dragonhawk: ((email from Jamshid, not able to make it tonight))

Thurirl: ((nuts))

Dragonhawk: ((and no, no game on Thanksgiving eve. I am assuming people will be traveling.))

Jessaila: ((I shall be, yes.))

Malaina: ((I will be home, but probably gone from the laptop all day))

Dragonhawk: ((heh, yeah, travelling or hosting.))

Dragonhawk: ((anyway))

…they had finished doing away with a number of ruin-haunts and were busily scattering throughout the ruin once more.

  • Vari keeping Mala close and not having her running around until he is 100% sure she is ok

Dragonhawk: Oh, and Jessaila had just translated a Seller’s Mark on a crate that caused her to seriously doubt the sanity of elvenkind.

Jessaila: “People, we ought to stay together!”

  • Grok hears some werid noises from the elf, but ignores her. As usual.
    You whisper to Grok: I believe Jamshid told you to check with Isabis or Jessaila about your recipe find
    You whisper to Grok: Now you know where she is, if you’re inclined to care
  • Grok thinks very hard about how to open the door in front of him. After a long while, the answer hits him. He will use a hard object to break it down. Grok backs up, and rams the door with his head.

Malaina: ((Grok….never went to college))

Thurirl: ((Sure he did. He graduated in University Studies.))

  • Seiankornai translates for Grok
    Grok gains a ringing headache and a -1 to skill checks, should he choose to make any, but the door does cave in.
  • Thurirl stays near Malaina, feeling a bit distressed that she was hurt in combat.
    The searchers in the inner courtyard are clustered around the rubble the broken crate was in; the searchers upstairs are on level three.
  • Grok searches this new room « 1d20 = 11 »
    The room Grok just opened seems to have been some sort of storeroom, perhaps, much the worse for time and fires.

Dragonhawk: Grok doesn’t find anything exciting.

Jessaila: “Come on. Let’s catch up to those people who are just madly rushing ahead. That way we’ll be all together if more trouble shows up…”

  • Vari makes a distressed noise
    Seiankornai: “Perhaps we should head back upstairs.”

Thurirl: “You two may go ahead. I wish to stay with Malaina in case she has need of me.”

Like Grok, the drakes can squeeze through here if they aren’t claustrophobic.
Seiankornai: ((claustrophobia is for big fat elders))

  • Jessaila heads on upstairs.
  • Vari isn’t leaving Mala’s side at all
  • Grok sees if there are any doors in this storeroom
  • Seiankornai suggests they take Mala outside of the castle, where it’ll likely be safer
  • Jessaila searches. « 1d20+8 = 16 + 8 = 24 »

The next door isn’t so much a barrier as a suggestion of barriers past…

  • Jessaila finds something!

Malaina: ((XD))

  • Seiankornai bumps Isabis in the small of her back with his snout, “Could you let me in.”
  • Vari lays curled around Mala, wing covering her from view

This badly burned book benefitted from ((alliteration! erm, I mean, from)) being boldy bound all the way around. It will be worth more if you can open it without breaking off the carbonized leather layer that used to be the cover, though you aren’t sure if that lock is still in working order or not.

  • Thurirl stays close to Malaina, standing still as a tree and observing his surroundings.
Jessaila: “A book!”

Isabis: “Ooh, looks like a diary. Or a locking ledger… Do you see the key?”

Seiankornai: “That should be quite valuable.”

Jessaila: “A didn’t see one, no. We can look, though…”
  • Jessaila searches for a key.
  • Jessaila searches. « 1d20+8 = 17 + 8 = 25 »

The upper courtyard displays a profound stillness, probably due to the former inhabitants having died noisily under your blades and breaths.

Jessaila discovers the key under a pile of what might have been paper once, but is currently a pile of flaky, layered, carbon.

Isabis: “Wow, you got the mother lode. Be careful with it, if we take our time opening it later we might be able to preserve part of the binding.”

Isabis: “I just hope it’s still legible in there.”

Jessaila: “I hope so.”

Seiankornai: “Hm, I wonder what caused the fire.”

Grok has now learned that the storeroom wraps pretty much all the way around something the same size and shape as the stairway in the eastern tower, but there are no more doors here.

Jessaila: “A drake, perhaps?”
  • Seiankornai sticks his head out the window, “How are you doing down there? We found a book up here.”
    Seiankornai: “There’s not enough burnt for it to have been a drake.”

Isabis: “Or an enemy or another sort. A lot of the old-but-post-cataclysm ruins are burned out.”

Seiankornai: “…Unless it was an innocent sneeze.”

Isabis: “An innocent sneeze…in every room?”

Thurirl: “Nothing to report so far!”

Seiankornai: ((oh, though it was just this one))

  • Grok continues to sort through junk
  • Jessaila packs the book away somewhere it’ll be safe.

Isabis: “What have you seen so far? Didn’t I hear you translating something for Malaina earlier?”

Jessaila: “Yes, a shipping crate.”

Isabis: “Oh? Did it have addresses we’ve never heard of or anything?”

Jessaila: ((I can’t find it in the logs.)) Jessaila: ((And I don’t remember what it said. ))
  • Seiankornai squeezes through the dorr (knocking it down if necessary) and looks in another room

Dragonhawk: ((The crate said “mad magic co” I believe. Although I was actually asking about the cage/plaque/thing, partly because I think she left the actual item sitting where she found it instead of collecting it as we were instructed ))

Seiankornai: ((search « 1d20+3 = 1 + 3 = 4 »))

Jessaila: ((I thought Mala had it.))

Seiankornai discovers another room, much like the one north of him, but with fewer pieces of carbonized wood. He finds it boring.

Seiankornai: ((what about the ratio of carbonized wood to uncarbonized wood?))

Isabis: ((that’s kind of what I was tyring to confirm or disprove. Maybe I’ll go down and ask her ))

  • Thurirl keeps a watch out for anything out of the ordinary. (Notice: « 1d20+8 = 5 + 8 = 13 »)
    Whoever burned this place didn’t do a very determined job of it. Every room you’ve seen so far has had fires set it in at some point, but many things are burned only halfway through, like the frames of what were probably beds, or that book with the full-surface cover
Jessaila: ((I’m pretty sure Mala kept that stuff. If she didn’t, I would have – but it was not my presumption.))
  • Jessaila follows Seian into the next room after explaining the other finds to Isabis.
    You whisper to Thurirl: You are convinced that there is nothing left alive in the courtyard larger than an insect. Also, it’s still walled, so nothing’s just going to wander in.
  • Seiankornai rests his bulk down in the middle of the clear portion of the room
    Player “You” is not connected.
  • Jessaila searches. « 1d20+8 = 4 + 8 = 12 »

You whisper to Thurirl: You can’t make the same guarantee for the stables or that room to the east, but the courtyard itself is utterly lacking in both students and instructive materials.

Jessaila notes that the people in this room had more floor-space per bed, but finds nothing with writing

Jessaila: “Hm. Probably an upper-level student’s dormitory here, I’m guessing.”

You whisper to Malaina: Are you just lying there still? I thought you were largely healed, though not 100%
Isabis: “Or professors, perhaps, if they stayed on site.”

  • Thurirl considers exploring to ensure nothing else is around to attack Malaina.
    Malaina whispers: Vari won’t let her
    Isabis: “Where’d Grok get to? We’re already at the top of the stairs, aren’t we?”

Seiankornai: “I hear him rummaging around in the other room.”

Thurirl: ((Grok seems busy trying to puzzle out why he can’t get to the middle of the room =P))

  • Jessaila goes looking for Grok.
  • Jessaila finds Grok and returns.
Jessaila: “He’s in the other room.”

You whisper to Grok: Even Grok can figure out that if you’ve seen 4/5 of a circular room without finding a door, the next step is to check the 5th 5th.

Thurirl: “Malaina, I feel the need to explore our surroundings a bit. I will leave you in Vari’s capable claws. Be sure to signal me if you need assistence.”

  • Malaina calls from under Vari’s wing “Go ahead. I will if something happens.”
  • Jessaila searches this part of things.
  • Jessaila searches. « 1d20+8 = 18 + 8 = 26 »

You whisper to Malaina: Heh, Vari’s going to be booored.

  • Thurirl gives a nod of thanks and respect to Vari then proceed to investigate the stable.

Malaina whispers: That’s ok
You whisper to Malaina: I can see why, of course.

  • Thurirl searches for foes or clues. « 1d20+10 = 18 + 10 = 28 »

Thurirl finds the big ruin-haunt’s little hoard. There are (the contents of 4 loot rolls) and a pair of odd tubes joined together by a short length of chain.
Each tube of thin metal has been cut in several places on the non-chain end, and the metal bent up sideways in irregular flaps.

  • Thurirl finds this to be curious and considers if this is some kind of weapon or tool.
    It’s awfully thin metal for a mace, though you suppose it would hurt if you hit someone. They’re also a little small for that. Further examination reveals small complicated runes etched into them near the holes where the chain links into them.
Jessaila: ((Anything from my roll?))

Jessaila finds some wadded paper stuffed into a box. Whatever was inside rotted out, but some of the papers shows faded but possible legible markings

  • Thurirl realizes this may be an important item. He considers pocketing them to show someone who can translate the runes.

Dragonhawk: ((wadded newspapers used as packing material ))

Jessaila: “Found papers!”

Isabis: “Oh, you’re on a roll!”

Jessaila: ((“That’s your horoscope for today-” “Dear Annie, my husband and I fought…”)
  • Isabis is inspired to search further in: « 1d20+11 = 10 + 11 = 21 »

Malaina: ((XD))

  • Grok hands book to Isabis

Isabis finds more of the same, this time coming with a bunch of broken glass

Seiankornai: ((“Today would’ve been a good day not to participate in those magical experiments.”))

Seiankornai: “So is this the top floor then?”

Jessaila: “There’s floors above this, I’m pretty sure.”

Dragonhawk: (It’s the top of the stairs you came up, but your external tour suggests there should be more, yes)

Isabis: “Wasn’t there a tower that went higher than the rest? I don’t think the stairs we came up can have been that.”

Seiankornai: “Hmm, yes, there is.”

  • Thurirl attempts to pocket the thin tubes with chains, or at least carry them on his person.

Thurirl can carry them easily, but they’re a little big for pockets – almost a foot long, and perhaps 2" in diameter on the smooth sections

Malaina: ((Thurirl is that an ancient tube with runes in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me? x3))

Seiankornai: “Hmm, yes, there probably should be a way up in this central area that we cant’ find a away into…”

Dragonhawk: (( 9.9 ))

Malaina: ((Someone had to say it))

Thurirl: ((blushes and looks away))

Jessaila: ((Oh dear.))

Thurirl: ((I don’t think he’d be ready to answer that XD))

Thurirl: “I appear to have found an artifact. I will have to ask the others to help translate when they are done exploring.”

Isabis: “Hmm, if it’s the same overall floorplan as downstairs, there should be another hallway, no?”

  • Jessaila goes to look.
    Jessaila: ((Is that a door there?))

You whisper to Thurirl: THANK YOU for finding the loot from the big fight, btw. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was even going to look in the stables.

Isabis: ((point again?))

Isabis: ((yes))

Thurirl whispers: No problem. I figured he’d want to investigate for more than just enemies.

  • Grok finds a new door!
Jessaila: ((Hey, offa me!))

Grok: ((go ahead, try to move me))

Jessaila: “Yup, here we go. Found it.”

Thurirl: ((whoa, hey, no molesting here! =P bad ogre, down!))

“It” is a hallway leading to staairs

  • Grok moves up the new stairs

Seiankornai: “Hmm, a tight squeeze, but doable…”

Dragonhawk: ((anyone following him?))

Grok: ((hey, where Grok go?))

  • Isabis follows the people going upstairs

Isabis: ((one moment, I want to get everyone who’s going in one step))

  • Thurirl continues to investigate, this time the room to the east.

Thurirl: ((I’ll hold off on my search roll for now))

Dragonhawk: ((Jessaila, going up?))

  • Jessaila is going, presumably.
    Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 3 + 10 = 13 » Notice

You exit the stairwell into a tower room, and there are things to see here…
The first thing is a huge bell.

Seiankornai: “This room looks important.”

The bell stand is part of a system of carvings in the floor, describing a precise elipse. Complicated glyphs are carved into designates spots around the elipse, and you can see strands of gold wire that someone tried to pull out of the grooves in several places, though not terribly effectively.

The crystal of the walls is oddly clouded compared to the crystal in other standing portions of the ruins.

Seiankornai: “Any writing on hte bell?”

  • Jessaila glances around the room.

And there is writing on the bell, yes.

  • Jessaila searches. « 1d20+8 = 13 + 8 = 21 »

Jessaila sets of a spell trap

Jessaila: ((Oh bugger.))

The bell rings loudly, shaking your very bones, and doing « 8d8 = 37 » sonic damage, falling off by halves from the bell itself

Malaina: ((Ouch))

Jessaila: ((So I set off the trap, but didn’t get any of the damage?))

Grok: Grok shakes his head to clear the noise damage

Dragonhawk: ((lets see, 37, 18, 9, 4, 2, 1))

Jessaila takes 1 damage

Thurirl: ((“Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and save us the trouble!”))

Isabis 4, Grok and Seian 18 each, Jamshid 9
Malaina: ((XD))

  • Grok considers using Jessaila to ring the bell
  • Vari lifts his head up a bit, he thought he heard something

Seiankornai: ((ouch))

The bell is audible all over the area, Vari definitely heard it.

  • Thurirl pokes his head out of the doorway and up toward the tower.

Thurirl: “…a rather ominous sound.”

Dragonhawk: ((reflex for half, fort to avoid deafness))

Seiankornai: ((ref « 1d20+6 = 16 + 6 = 22 », fort « 1d20+9 = 11 + 9 = 20 » ))

  • Thurirl considers whether he should search the room he’s in or seek to help his allies.

Grok: ((who doth the bell toll? The bell toll for thee.))

Dragonhawk: ((savs are vs 16))

Grok: « 1d20+7 = 10 + 7 = 17 » reflex « 1d20+8 = 10 + 8 = 18 » fort

Jessaila: ((Do I need to roll too?))

Dragonhawk: ((just the fort))

Dragonhawk: ((half round up of 1 is still 1))

Jessaila: « 1d20+4 = 15 + 4 = 19 » Fort
  • Thurirl searches the room as quick as he can. « 1d20+10 = 10 + 10 = 20 »

Thurirl: ((if there’s anyone or anything in here, I’m pretty sure I found them or it =P))

Thurirl finds half a leather harness, with some runes stamped into the leather. It probably says “pretty pony” or something, but at you’ll get paid for it.

  • Thurirl takes it anyway, returning to Malaina to consider his next move.
  • Grok opens this new door
  • Jessaila ducks for cover.

Grok sets off the spell ward again

Thurirl: ((one bitten, twice shy XD))

Dragonhawk: « 8d8 = 36 » sonic

Isabis: “Cursed Ogre, you don’t have the excuse of not knowing it would happen!”

Jessaila: “GROK, STOP!”
  • Vari wonders what is going on with all that noise
  • Grok is still attempting to figure out waht makes big noise
  • Thurirl looks up at the tower.

Thurirl: “Somehow, I know the ogre is the cause of that.”

  • Isabis squints at the bell over Seian’s shoulder, trying to translate the writing without getting any closer
Jessaila: “Seian, tell Grok that when we cross the line, it sets off the bell!”

Isabis: « 1d20+5 = 6 + 5 = 11 » ((int check with interest bonus))

Jessaila: “And nobody cross the line again!”

Isabis: “I…think it’s a riddle. On the bell.”

  • Seiankornai does so
  • Malaina peeks out from Vari’s wing “Did they find a belltower or something?” looks up at where the noise is coming from

Isabis: “Of me are a thousand castles built, With me are a thousand hours marred, I can drive men blind, but help others…um, search? Speak my name and the bell shall blink.”

  • Isabis sounds uncertain of her translation

Seiankornai: “odd.”

  • Seiankornai translates for Grok
Jessaila: “I can’t read it from over here, and I’m not sure I should cross the line again.” Jessaila: “What’s the original?”
  • Isabis reads the original to Jessaila

You whisper to Jessaila: Of me are a thousand castles built,
With me are a thousand hours marked,
I can drive men blind, but help others see,
Speak my name and the bell shall hark.

Thurirl: “As that was a bell, I would say so. However, I believe it may have been a trap. It sounded far too loud to safely stand beside.”

  • Grok pulls out his red fez, and puts it on his head
  • Jessaila corrects Isabis.
Jessaila: Of me are a thousand castles built, With me are a thousand hours marked, I can drive men blind, but help others see, Speak my name and the bell shall hark. Jessaila: “May I suggest you stand as far away from the bell as you can? I have a possible answer.”
  • Thurirl watches the bell tower, unsure if he should go upstairs and help.
Jessaila: ((Seian?))

Dragonhawk: ((he can’t get that much further away, actually. Maybe one step out by going south))

  • Jessaila says the Kamil word for “Dreams”.

Dragonhawk: « 8d8 = 40 »

Jessaila: ((That’s apparently a no. ))

Dragonhawk: ((40,20,10,5,2,1))

  • Thurirl sighs as the bell sounds again.

Grok: ((Jess 2, Grok 1))

Jessaila: “…sorry.”

Dragonhawk: ((Jamshid and Isabis 5 each, 20 for Seian))

  • Grok contemplates using a cannon on the bell

Isabis: “At least you gave us warning that time…”

Jessaila: “I guess I’m not good at solving riddles.”

Malaina is disconnected.

Isabis: “It’s painful, but maybe we should just step over the line and call it good. Er, at least for now. Spend some time solving the riddle in the next room, shout our answers from that hallway over there to check.”

  • Grok pokes Jamshid. “What word for sand?”

Jamshid doesn’t know it in Kamil either, so he asks the girls.

Jessaila: “Um, I would hesitate to pronounce it unless we’re sure of the answer.” Jessaila: “But actually, it might be a decent idea…”

Isabis: “Can’t be worse than what we’ve had already, can it?”

Grok: ((though Seian may want to move))

Grok: ((Like downstairs))

  • Seiankornai goes back downstairs, "I don’t think I’ll be too helpful here right now
    Grok: ((good drake. Leave this to the smart ones.))

Seiankornai: ((then aren’t you coming?))

Grok: ((Grok solve riddles))

Jessaila: “What about hard work, or education?” Jessaila: “Learning?” Jessaila: “Wasn’t this some sort of academy? I’d think the answer might be learning-related.”

Isabis: “You seriously going to stand there and guess?”

Jessaila: “No, I want to discuss it before we set it off again.”
  • Grok fashions some crude earplugs out of blanket and rope

Isabis: “I don’t know how this thing determines what’s a try and what’s discussion… maybe we should all go downstairs…”

Jessaila: “We need to speak the elven language, I think.”

Isabis: “Oh…well, yes, probably.”

Isabis: “So…education builds castles?”

Jessaila: “Wisdom? Knowledge?”
  • Thurirl contemplates going upstairs to check out that room on the balcony…

Grok: ((castles are made out of education ))

Isabis: “Mark hours? I can see why that would make Grok think of sand… hour glasses and all.”

  • Seiankornai shouts up, “Try ‘riddles’”

You whisper to Grok: hehehe…everyone thinks Grok stupid, not trying Grok’s word

Jessaila: “…that’s just twisted enough it might be the case.”
  • Grok pokes Jamshid again. “Sand.”

Isabis: “I don’t know…of /riddles/ are a thousand castles built?”

Jamshid: "Our large companion would like to reiterate his guess is “sand” "

  • Jessaila glances at Grok. “Let’s try the ogre’s answer.”
Jessaila: “If it’s not right, then…”
  • Isabis shugs

Isabis: “We’re all at…well, safer distances now.”

  • Jessaila speaks the Kamil word for Sand.

The bell shivers but remains silent, and a glow sweeps around the circle. Interestingly, it’s the carven crystal itself that is glowing, not the inlaid gold.

  • Isabis steps across the glowing line before it fades
Jessaila: “…!”

Grok: ((Who da Ogre? Who da Ogre? Grok!))

Isabis: “That’s it! That’s it! …Grok? Does riddles?”

Seiankornai: ((oh this won’t go to his head or anything :P ))

  • Grok puts his thinking cap back in his pack, it’s job now finished.

Seiankornai: “Wait… the ogre got it??!?”

  • Jessaila stands there for a few seconds with her mouth open.

Grok: W “Now dat was proper riddle. Good one, too.”

  • Jessaila is rendered momentarily speechless.
  • Jessaila turns to Grok and makes a well-performed bow. “Very well done, I must say.”
  • Grok goes through opening with Isabis
  • Jessaila follows.
  • Jamshid steps out onto a broken platform, the not-quite complete top of the lesser tower

Grok: W “High up here.”

  • Grok looks for something to drop over the edge

The broken remnants of stairs climb to a platform above.

Thurirl: ((not it!))

  • Grok tries to peek up on to the platform above

Dragonhawk: ((acrobatics vs 10 to get up them, -2 for large characters because the stairs are so short))

  • Seiankornai comes back up

Grok: W “Who wants boost?”

Dragonhawk: ((remember to say the password as you come across, you’ve taken more damage than anyone))

Jamshid accepts a boost

  • Grok throws Jamshid up to the platform above.

Jamshid: “There’s a door up here, but it’s locked solid. And it’s stone, so I think perhaps Grok’s head is not the best tool to gain entry.”

Grok: W “Need cannon door opener?”

Jamshid sees an odd carving where a door handle would be more expected, the outline of a rayed sun done in deep grooves on top half, shallower ones on the bottom, and flaking paint in the middle.

Dragonhawk: ((and with that, I think we’re going to call it until next…er, make that two weeks from now.))

Grok: ((Ok))

Dragonhawk: ((Jamshid’s player really needs to be here when we open the door))

Game Saved
Log Saved

Log 18

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 17

Sunchasers DH drgnhawk