Log 25

Main Page
Logs Index
Log 24

The Party has earned a total of 5564 XP since the first gaunt ambush, which is 2360 above what I told you about last week.
Grok: Yeah!
Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((what does that bring the total to?))
Malaina: ((Shoot, now I have to open up my sheet!
Dragonhawk: ((I have 20564)
Dragonhawk: ((which gives us 4436 xp remaining to level 7))
Malaina: ((I have 18204 on my sheet))
Seiankornai: ((only a little less than 4.5k to go till level up :) ))
Dragonhawk: ((Mooch, add in teh 2360))
Grok: ((Someone raise all the enemies we just killed so we can kill them again and level.))

  • Dragonhawk adds up coinage
    Dragonhawk: « 252+754+464 = 252 + 754 + 464 = 1470 »
    Jessaila: I have 11325XP
    Dragonhawk: I think you missed a set
    Jessaila: Must have. Should I be equal to others?
    Seiankornai: ((yes))
    Dragonhawk: yes
    Jessaila: So 20564 XP
  • Malaina edits her sheet
    After looting the bodies and digging up your loot cache from the ambush (a few hours down the road from the most recent battle) you have the following pile of loot:
    Dragonhawk: 39x Partial leather armor
    14x game (about half and half grubby cards and bone dice) 22x short sword
    14x long sword 2x long knife
    56x dagger 4x longbow 18x arrow 50 feet silk rope from a gaunt that ambushed you
    1 battleaxe
    1 set teeth “flawless trophy” valued 4s
    18 servings anvil water 14 sm, 1 med containers
    1 bullwhip
    2x “ointment” (in one-dose vials) (see pg 162)
    4x Jar body paint. 3 Uses/jar; 2 jars plains, 1 forest, 1 caverns/mountains
    4x viatily potion
    1 mana potion
    1 Mage’s pouch
    1 piece of art – pottery worth 30s
    5 lbs of crystalwear
    The illusion of a large gem. The illusion is worthless, if amusing. It is projected from a small ordinary rock). The illusion appears about 6" to the right and above of the source rock; Thurirl found the source rock using detect magic.
    40s worth of metal (copper and gold in weight-certified bars, though the ancient kamil runes might not impress bankers or traders as much as they would scholars)
    180 worth of incense
    2 “shattering” vials
    broken hurled weapon: flash bombs, 5. The powder is contained, but the egg shells are broken. 3d6 flash damage, no threat, RI 15 × 3, blast 1.
    1 unbroken weapon: fire lance. This odd-looking weapon uses an overcharged firework as a deadly Roman candle, belching shrapnel and flames at nearby enemies. This weapon is not easy enough to use, but rarely seen; you must craft powder and shot into fireworks to use it (chemistry, complexity 15D, costs 10s, purchased powder and shot count as raw materials). 3d6 fire, threat 20, RI 15 × 2, load 9, spread.
    1 Elven blowgun with 8 darts. Blowgun: negates “inaccurate” quality of darts, load 1, +2 gear bonus to Impress. Dart stats: 1d4, threat 20, RI (with blowgun) 20 × 3, AP2; on their own darts are inaccurate, poisonous, RI 10 × 3. The darts are dipped in something that stings like fire, but isn’t actually poisonous – bad alchemy on somebody’s part
    1 ornate mirror with mosaic case in semi-precious stone worth 350s
    1 cape worth 15s (from one of the elves)
    3 obscuring oils
    Isabis: “There’s no way we can carry all that. It’s too bulky.”
    Seiankornai: ((whoa, big list of stuff))
  • Isabis shakes her head at the pile of armor
    Isabis: ((well, that was the first set of gaunt, the garamats’ lair, the second set of gaunt, and the ogres, all in one go))
    Seiankornai: ((we’ll skip the armor and such))
    Isabis: ((it’s basically the treasure list for the whole adventure))
    You also have your valuable old-Kamil writings, of course, including one burned and one highly magical book.
    Isabis: « 1470/6 = 1470 / 6 = 245 »
    So you have 245 silver each, a pile of other stuffs of varying value, and a long way to walk.before you get paid by the Riddlemasters
    Dragonhawk: So is it safe to assume nobody needs partial leather armor or mercenary standard issue swords for personal use?
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((I’ll take one of each))
    Dragonhawk: ((OK))
    Malaina: ((Hmmm, nope, I am good with armor and weapons, unless the armor is better then one i have on now))
    Dragonhawk: ((Isabis will take a few of the ogre throwing daggers))
  • Seiankornai has no need of armor or weapons
    Grok: ((grok takes one as a back scratcher
    Dragonhawk: OK, Grok takes a long sword from a fallen Ogre; Jamdhis takes longsword, short sword, and armor formerly belonging to an elf.
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((will also take 2x longbow 18x arrows, bullwhip, 1x long knife, and the 50’ rope unless anyone else wants them))
    Dragonhawk: ((fine by me))
    Grok: ((don’t care either))
    Malaina: ((Have no use for them, so I don’t mind))
    Dragonhawk: do you all want to spend some time converting leather armor into more compact trade-good leather?
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((Yes, and Jamshid can contribute his skill in leatherworking — 17 to speed things along))
    Malaina: ((Sure, I guess, though I would like to get better armor for Mala and Vari down the road))
  • Jessaila takes one of the elven blowguns for conversion into a flute.
    Dragonhawk: …didn’t you find an ACTUAL flute??
    Grok: ((Music item of some sort))
    Jessaila: Did I?
    Jessaila: Idunno. Don’t recall.
    Jessaila: Maybe she’s trying to turn it into bagpipes or something.
    Dragonhawk: Oh, I forgot to list it. Yes. You found 1 flute and 1 blowgun (with a few poisoned darts)
    Dragonhawk: You cannot convert 1 blowgun into a bagpipes
    Dragonhawk: you can convert leather armor into trade goods at the rate of 50s per hour if Jamshid works along
    Dragonhawk: alone
    Grok: Grok volunteers to stomp leather flat
    Jessaila: Well, what if I took the flute and made a rainstick out of the blowgun?
    Dragonhawk: you’re seriously converting an item with an impress bonus into something else entirely? Do you have an appropriate craft feat?
    Jessaila: Uh, no…
    Dragonhawk: you’ll ruin the workmanship bonus if you try, then.
    Jessaila: Maybe I’ll take a longbow instead.
    Dragonhawk: heh
    Dragonhawk: OK, Grok and Isabis helping can convert 1 armor into 25s at the rate of 3 armor per hour
    Dragonhawk: *Wtih Grok and Isabis helping Jamshid, the three of them can
    Dragonhawk: how long do you want to spend on this? It is maybe an hour before noon when you get this all laid out.
    Seiankornai: ((I suppose))
    Dragonhawk: let’s see, I assume you want to sell the trade goods (metal bars and incense)…
    Dragonhawk: Grok claimed the toothy trophy (ick)
    Anvil water is a type or spirits brewed in the high-temperature environment of the desert. Ogres invented it; gaunt elves claim to make it better, but really it’s hard for anyone else to tell the difference.
    Dragonhawk: Thurirl claimed the illusionary gem
    Vari found something shiny while everyone else is packing up and promptly added it to his minature hoard.
    Grok: Dibs on anvil water then
    Grok: and trophy, of course
    Unknown command: “self[1d20]”. Try /help for a list of commands.
    « 1d20 = 2 »
    You whisper to Malaina: It’s a tiny saphire worth 50s if Vari could ever be convinced to part with it
  • Vari checks out his new shiny
    Fragment also pecks something off of the battlefield without showing the PCs
    For the record, he found an ancient signet ring from one of the noble Elven households, which was an especial treasure of a certain gaunt archer.
  • Seiankornai takes mostly just coin and art type items
  • Isabis collects the cards and dice, hoping someone in the anthropology department will be interested in them.
    Seiankornai: ((though we should probably deal with the treasure out of session; let’s move on with the plot :P :) ))
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur will take one set of dice
    You whisper to Grok: The anvil water comes in no less than 14 “battle flasks” – small metal flasks that hold enough anvil water to give a warrior courage, and not enough to ruin his aim. One of the elves had a larger bottle of the stuff.
    Grok: ((you mean the treasure isn’t the plot?))
    Isabis: OK, OK>
    You spend most of the afternoon converting some of the armor into « 24*12 = 24 * 12 = 288 » s worth of leather, then wrap your more valuable goods in the scraps, load up the pack-ogre (without calling him that of course) and move out.
    Seiankornai: (without calling him that in Woanish at least)
    You bury the rest of the armor along with the common weapons (swords, daggers, the battleaxe) that you might not resupply the enemy.
  • Grok takes a good crack at breaking them 1st
    A couple extra-long walking days gets you to the Sideways Sun just in time for Grok to meet an interesting bard, who buys the flute off of you and brags on Grok’s behalf.
  • Jessaila liked the money more than the flute anyway.
    Isabis: (see Log 24)
    You spend a full day in town, selling your bulkier trade goods, hanging out with other sunchasers at the tavern, and spending some of money (that your prudence levels aren’t high enough to let you keep).
    The better part of the next week will consist of going upriver to Caskannath again, and hiking back over the pass to Arun again.
    Malaina: ((So I add the 250 to my stake?))
    Isabis: Do you all want to pay for river passage? It’s 30s each going upstream right now.
    Isabis: ((to coin in hand for now, Malaina))
    Malaina: ((kk))
    Jessaila: ((I don’t, unless it’s the blatantly obvious way to go.))
    Isabis: ((well, it’s faster, easier, and lets you get more reading done; if you don’t pay, you’ll be hiking along said river))
    Seiankornai: ((I see no need for passage, as long as our feet/wings can get us to our destination in reasonable time))
    You hike at a more liesurely pace along the river paths; it takes you a little longer, but the magic-users in the party are all exicted about the book anyway and want time to finish it before you hit the city and have to decide whether to keep it, pay a scribe to copy it, or just turn it in.
    You also have the question of the burned journal; Isabis is pretty sure it’ll be worth more if you can get it open, but that looks like a complex task.
    Isabis: ((in fact, it is a multiple-skill-check task with a small reward in XP and silver if you succeed))
  • Jessaila evaluates the sort of work necessary to open it.
    The book had a laced leather cover and a metal lock attached to two flat bars that attached through the leather. It has been burned, such that the outside is a solid layer of brittle charcoal.
    Grok: W “Grok can open it.”
    Jessaila: “No thanks.”
    To open it without damaging the inside, you will have to undo the lock (Presti DC 25 or metalcraft DC 20), then remove the charcoal from the parts that need to fles (leathercraft DC 20 or presti 25). You wil then have to find the actual seams and ties (search 15) and undo them carefully so as not to tear the thinned material (presti 20)
    Seiankornai: W “No, Grok, this isn’t a riddle, this is something else.”
    Jessaila: “I’d like to have a go at it myself.”
    Isabis: ((you can just roll the skills if you want, or describe your actions and go for a circumstance bonus for creative problem solving))
    Isabis: ((anyone can try any given step, it doesn’t all have to be one person))
  • Seiankornai will be quite useless for that task
  • Jessaila pokes carefully at the book to make sure she knows where to start.
    Jessaila: ((I’m pretty sure that I can’t do metalcraft DC 20 with just a 2 crafting.))
    Seiankornai: ((nope, but do you have presti?))
    Isabis: ((does anyone else have metalworking?))
    Isabis: ((Jamshid can help you with the leather))
    Seiankornai: ((Thrurirl has presti +11))
    Seiankornai: ((and search +10))
    Isabis: ((roll for him to try the lock, then?))
    Seiankornai: ((So I guess I’ll roll for him))
    Seiankornai: ((presti « 1d20
    11 = 6 + 11 = 17 »))
    Grok: ((action die))
    Seiankornai: ((and hope it exploads? I guess; spends a Thurirl AD « 1d6 = 3 »))
    Grok: o well
    Jessaila: ((Can he get a circumstance bonus with me helping him?))
    Thurirl finds the lock too rusted (or full of ash) to open.
    Isabis: ((OK, people can help by rolling vs 15; each person who succeeds adds 1 to the main person’s result))
    Seiankornai: ((hmm, yeah, we can make a coop check to assist; DC 15 for us))
    Isabis: ((natural 20s from the helpers are worth +2, but if anyone rolls a 1 the whole thing fails))
  • Isabis tries to help Thurirl « 1d20+6 = 7 + 6 = 13 » vs 15
    Seiankornai: ((up to five hlpers on a check, each success is a +1, and each critical success is +2))
    Jessaila: « 1d20 = 15 » plus I don’t know what modifier.
    Isabis: ((it’s a dex skill, so at least that, but you succeed vs 15 either way))
    Jessaila: ((Then +3))
  • Seiankornai places and pulls his claw as Thurirl directs « 1d20+1 = 20 + 1 = 21 »
    Seiankornai: ((I’ll activate :P :) ))
  • Isabis uses a PC action die « 1d6 = 1 »
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur advises with his leatherworking knowledge 26 as does Arxhar 30
    Isabis: ((need two more points of help to succeed))
  • Grok fans Thurirl’s brow
    Isabis: ((OK, that works))
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((activating Arxhar’s critical success if needed))
    Seiankornai: ((doesn’t look like it’s needed))
    Thurirl finds that knowing how the metal connects to the leather helps, among other things, including Jessaila’s belated recollection that she has the key for comparison of what should move inside.
    The lock grinds open with a sifting of ash.
    Isabis: ((now leatherworking to clear the char and render the folds foldable once again))
    Seiankornai: ((Jamshid, can you use your craft(leatherworking) for the next step?))
    Isabis: ((Jessaila can work on finding them, search vs 15))
  • Jessaila searches. « 1d20+8 = 15 + 8 = 23 »
    Jessaila easily finds all the critical parts that need to be flexible to open the book properly
    Isabis: ((I think Jamshid’s falling asleep at the keyboard, maybe we should just go ahead and roll for him))
  • Jessaila carefully works everything over.
    Jamshid works on all the places she points out « 1d20+10 = 10 + 10 = 20 » (leatherworking)
    Seiankornai: ((woot, just enough))
    Soon, the blackened cover is much thinner, but supple enough to fold once again.
  • Thurirl then does the last step of undoing the pages from each other very carefully « 1d20+11 = 16 + 11 = 27 »
    To your surprise, the outside turns out not even to be connected to the inside; it was a secure /cover/ instead of a secure /book/ and the ordinary journal inside, while old and brittle, comes out whole and little worse for wear than any other book you might find in a ruins library.
    Seiankornai: “Ooooh.”
    Jessaila: “Oh my. That’s clever.”
  • Isabis tries her hand at reconditioning the paper a bit using her skill with inscriptions (28 vs 20 for a 10% quality bonus to your eventual payment)
    The book is in excellent shape for its age and location of discovery, and you are going to make a researcher or three very happy.
    Seiankornai: “…So what’s it’s title? I can’t read even modern Kamalil.”
    Isabis: “It says, Journal of Riclamin Stokryrs”
  • Jessaila gets out some notepaper and begins taking notes.
    Isabis: “I guess he must have been a student or researcher… ah, here. It’s an advanced student’s personal journal, combined daily reflections and personal research notes.”
    You finally reach Caskannath on Cadulemet 25, nearly three (9-day-long) “weeks” since you set out.
    Here you can find competent scribes to help copy the writings you want copies of, and spend some downtime if you prefer. Of course, you can also come back after you get paid.
    While you wait for the copyists, you discuss what you want to do after you get your money from the Riddlemasters
    Isabis: ((and if you want to have anything to do next week, you need to come to a basic concensus here ))
    There’s always the old Sunchaser standby of “walk into a sunpool and see what happens next,” but word in town has it there’s good money to be made escorting traders and travelers downriver at the moment.
    Grok: ((Grok wants to hunt down knight
    Seiankornai: “Well, after we get paid for this, shall we enter the nearest sunpool and see where it takes us?”
    Jessaila: “We could do that, yes.”
    Seiankornai: W “I’ts been a week since we saw it, Grok, I doubt he’s still there.”
    Grok: W “Where knights go to rest when they been badly beaten?”
    Dragonhawk: ((If by “there” you mean “in the heart of the Bitterwell” then I’m sure he’s there…))
    Seiankornai: W “You presume they rest.”
    Isabis: “Tell him they go into the Salt Weep where the crone’s army can protect their cowardly undead hides.”
    Grok: W “Let’s go to Salt Weep then. Smash him good.”
    Seiankornai: W “From what I understand, they are not like mortal men or ogres, but are some sort of unliving thing.”
  • Isabis doesn’t think much of a “leader” who lets his followers get slaughtered, laughs, and walks away – but then, she’s not evil
    Seiankornai: (obviously they weren’t strong enough for him to care :P )
    Grok: W “If I pull head off, he stop moving?”
    Isabis: ((well, yeah. nor loyal enough for him to care, for that matter. Plus he’s generally too evil to really care))
    Seiankornai: W “It’s a possibility. Though it might not be the case, nor an easy task, even for an ogre.”
    Seiankornai: ((I suppose other knights might be more loyal to their minions, though still evil of course))
    Isabis: “Supposedly they can’t really be killed; if they get stopped the just re-integrate somewhere, or take over a new body, or somethign like that. Grok should be careful, that one might take over another ogre if that theory is right.”
    Seiankornai: “I thought it was that the Crone just elects a new one, and all the others move up in rank.”
    Isabis: “Well, people aren’t sure which theory is true. It’s not like the Knights ever talk to anthropologists, you know.”
    Seiankornai: W “Hey, Grok, Isabis says that some anthropologists might like a captured knight to study.”
  • Isabis give Seian a suspicious look
    Seiankornai: (and only Jamshid will be able to contridict him :P ;) ))
    Seiankornai: ((ah, and I missed the stated plot hook of escorting trades downriver))
    Isabis: “Seriously, though, there’s a notice in the Sword Guild that everyone from the university to the local merchant’s association are looking for armed escorts at the moment. I’m not saying it’s necessarily better than stepping into a pool and seeing where Avva drops us, but it’s more certain money.”
    Grok: W “They can have a body.”
    Seiankornai: “I could go for coin myself.”
    Seiankornai: W “Grok, interested in a river cruise? There could be fun trouble.”
    Jessaila: “That would be acceptable to me.”
    Seiankornai: W “Can’t promise a knight though, with whatever we do.”
    Jamshid par-Bahadur whispers: does Jamshid or Arxhar have any reason to disagree with the facts being presented?
    You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: Are you asking about the knights, or about the local market for sell-swords?
    Jamshid par-Bahadur whispers: the knights
    You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: If you have a study in the Knights, you know this: "No one knows what they Knights look like under their black shrouds and armor. Even when defeated their bodies decay and turn to dust, denying their killers a glance at their true faces. Indeed, it’s been said that they cannot be permanently killed — that only the Crone has the ability to claim their lives. "
    Grok: W “River holds terrible monsters from the deep?”
    You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: So no, the anthopologists can’t have a body
  • Isabis responds if someone translates that: “They say it does. And they also say there are sneaks on the docks that need their heads bashed together.”
  • Malaina wouldn’t mind playing escort since she used to hold that job
    Grok: W Grok to Seian “Tell her to research ways to attract such monsters.”
  • Jessaila comments to Isabis. “I’m going start to learn Woanish so I can keep the boys honest.”
    In fact, the word on the street has it that the big trading houses are getting unusally cut-throat, some of them to the point of hiring actual cut-throats to thin out the competition. Some say these people are responsible for several mysterious boat sinkings in the Gronver, while others swear it’s a Soregg’s monster.
  • Grok is looking to hire some scribes to find ways to attract Soregg’s monster.
    Isabis: “I’m considering that myself.”
    Jamshid par-Bahadur whispers: I have studies in Goblins and Undead, but those probably aren’t specific enough for that level of information
    The magic book will cost 180s per mundane copy; the journal will cost 100s; the research notes Jessaila found behind a desk will cost 40s per copy.
    You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: ah, if you don’t have a study in the Knights, then you might not know about the body-going-to-powder issue. You will have heard the rumors that they can’t properly be killed, and probably know that nobody ever sees their true faces.
    Seiankornai: To Jessaila: “Oh, Grok is being perfectly honest when he speaks. I’m not sure the brute is capable of a falsehood, really.”
  • Seiankornai conveniently doesn’t mentioned anything about himself
    Dragonhawk: “I was talking about you!”
    Dragonhawk: ^ Isabis says
  • Grok needs to get to bed. Good night all. Don’t let the river monsters bite
    Dragonhawk: OK, we’ll end it here then. I understand that you want to hire on as river guards for the sure money, and will prepare accordingly. Next week: getting paid, and finding a new job.
    Grok is disconnected.
    Game Saved
    Log Saved

Log 26

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 25

Sunchasers DH drgnhawk