Log 32

Main Page
Logs Index
Log 31

  • Grok is looking for crime and criminals in our current location.
    Dragonhawk: “100s each plus travel expenses.”

Grok whispers: email sent, don’t feel the need to answer immediately.
Seiankornai: Grok the Bounty Hunter?

Dragonhawk: that sounds realistic

  • Jessaila is going to get some ice cream.
    Dragonhawk: hehe

Seiankornai: that sounds realistic too

Dragonhawk: you can get a lot of ice cream for 100s

Malaina: There are docks where they are, right?

Dragonhawk: river, yes

Seiankornai: yep, major river goes through it

  • Malaina been standing on the docks all day, using her whistle to call for Vari because he has been gone all day
    Seiankornai: (perhaps coin and downtime calculations should happen on IRC, and we can RP here uncluttered)
  • Dockworkers give Malaina odd glances, but leave her alone as long as she doesn’t impede traffic to the warehouses.
    Malaina: ((Yea, you can use Karma))
  • Malaina doesn’t care/pretty much ignores the dockworkers
  • Seiankornai goes out in search of an inn that caters to his kind. He isn’t finding too much luck. They don’t get nearly as many drakes in these parts.
  • Grok is also looking for those who have been victims of crimes
    I would be remiss in not mentioning that among the other wonders of the largest city in the thousand-river valley, Faer Padris also boasts the only known “Sunchasers’ Guild.”
  • Malaina isn’t leaving the docks until Vari comes back
  • Seiankornai finds signs for the guild and decides to head there. Maybe they know a place for a Drake to stay. Also they might have other interesting things.
    Technically, the “guild” is a business. It has a tavern, a rooming-house wing, stables both for those guesting and for purchases and sales, a goodly supply of other equipment and exotic items on sale, a stage, and a large room panelled entirely in cork and neatly arranged in all sorts of message boards: Seeking Help, Seeking Work, Northgoing, Southgoing, goods available, goods wanted, goods to carry, space for goods…
    Jamshid par-Bahadur has connected.
    Seian can get a properly-sized and outfitted room there. Grok can probably find PI/bounty hunter work there too.
  • Thurirl decides to follow Seian and visit the guild as well. He might as well look into work while he’s here.
  • Grok visits guild to find criminals to stop
    Seiankornai: “At last, someone has sensible business practices!”

You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: Welcome, we’re just getting started. You earned 100s and 1860xp from the previous adventure, we are now beginning downtime in Faer Padris

  • Seiankornai enters in and looks around.
  • Jessaila decides to go clothes shopping, as her current garb is getting a bit too worn.
    Seiankornai: “Oh, I see the ogre made it here first.”

Grok: W “Smell good food. Followed nose.”

The Bulletin Board for “Bounties and Crime Suppression, Local” lists two districts that are suffering from pickpockets, a rich woman who wants help finding a lost bracelet, a general posting for help from the Dockmaster, and literally dozens of requests for river and/or caravan guards.

  • Grok goes to districts suffering from pickpockets, and attempts to rectify the situation
    Seiankornai: “… What’re pockets?”

Malaina: ((Everyones typing!))

Those are just the ones misplaced…they belong in “Trade Guards and Anti-Banditry,” but to be fair, there’s no more room to post on that panel; it’s wallpapered in requests from floor to celing already.

  • Thurirl regards the board in silence, trying to consider if he should take up a job or just rest for a little while in town.
    Jamshid par-Bahadur whispers: do I get to make downtime skill checks with my lieutenant?
    Player “I’m” is not connected.
    Seiankornai: ((the “X is typing…” messages can get stuck on occasion.))
  • Jessaila looks around for her companions before shopping, and finds Mala at the dock.
    You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: I’m not sure; check the rules and if they don’t say anything then I guess you can. He can’t earn you reputation, though.
  • Malaina standing at the end of the dock, looking tired cause who knows how long she has been standing there
    Jessaila: “Mala? What’re you doing here?”

Thurirl: “Fascinating. There appears to be a substantial need for guards upon the waterways. Perhaps that goblin raid we prevented is not an uncommon occurance.”

You have agreed to spend a month here, giving mail a chance to catch up to you and so forth. That will be late Cadulemet to late Dulanmet, right into the beginning of winter, but you’re far enough north that winters are fairly mild here.

  • Malaina lowers her whistle, licking at her dry lips, “I’m waiting for Vari…”
  • Jessaila uncorks her hip flask. “Here, drink this, little sis. You’re not looking well.”
  • Malaina looks hesitant, but takes the flask and sips at it, coughing a bit
  • Jessaila sits down next to Mala.
  • Malaina drinks a little more, hands shaking a bit
    Jamshid par-Bahadur whispers: what if Arxhar and Jamshid go into business together making different skill checks in pursuit of a common activity? I’m thinking that Arxhar could perform magical feats (Spellcasting) with Jamshid acting as his agent (Haggle) — this could be anything from street performing to helping farmers grow crops (Arxhar has Control Weather II).
    Dragonhawk: ((your stake is available to you. Your 100s is subject to panache/prudence losses. You can buy…pretty much anything you care to spend the time to find.))

Malaina: ((well, if we get the 100s, I want to use it for Vari’s armor upgrade))

You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: You can make money that way, sure, just not reputation.

  • Seiankornai spends most of his wages on frivalities! Drake’s know how to throw a party when they want!
    Jamshid par-Bahadur whispers: hmm, reputation was what I wanted …. what if one skill check goes towards reputation and one towards cash?
    Jessaila: “You look like you need a friend to sit with you.”

Malaina: “I just wish….I knew where he was….”

  • Thurirl shares his observation about the guarding requests with Seian and (through the Drake) even Grok. He feels it may be an important fact later on. He also notes that such facts may prove profitable if shared with the right people…
  • Seiankornai makes plans for the party
    Seiankornai: “Hmm, but where to host the party. Oh! I know, where’s the biggest section of crime? W Grok, want to host a party to attract criminals to capture?”

Jessaila: “And I wish I could tell you, or help you find him.”

You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: Basically, my rule of thumb here is that you can make reputation only for what YOU do. So Axhar can make cash to keep you in stay-awake potions and coffee while you generate masterwork mundane leather items for reputation, or somethign like that; but you don’t get rep yourself for brokering his services.
Jessaila: “He’ll come back, don’t worry.”

Jamshid par-Bahadur whispers: ok
Malaina: “But we’ve never been apart for this long, what if he needs me, what if something has happened to him and I’m not there!”

Jamshid par-Bahadur whispers: are there situations in this town where Jamshid could gain reputation through Haggle?
Grok: W “Good idea. Maybe some valuable loot, then Grok grab them!”

  • Jessaila puts a hand on Mala’s shoulder.
    You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: Yes. Feel free to suggest what they might be
  • Thurirl finds his opinion to be lost amongst the planning for the party. This irks him a little.
  • Malaina staring straight ahead, looking like a worried mother
  • Arxhar earns some extra cash casting weather control spells for local farmers, travelers, and couples planning weddings ((Spellcasting 18))
    Seiankornai: “Oh, what was that Thurirl? OH, yes, I’m sure we’ll want to take part in guarding one of those guard jobs. Which one would you prefer?”
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur does some pro-bono work representing local merchants in a legal case ((Haggle 14))
    Jessaila: “Have I ever told you about Ardun, Mala? My husband?”

Dragonhawk: ((ouch. want to put an action die on that downtime check, Jamshid?))

  • Malaina wipes at her eyes to hide her tears, coughing a bit “The one who got killed?”
    Jessaila: “Yes.”

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((depends on how much downtime we have … it probably wouldn’t matter unless we have a month))

Dragonhawk: ((if you roll a two or better you can gain 1 reputation, otherwise you fail))

Dragonhawk: ((this is a “per month” check))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((spending action die 10))

Thurirl: “You misunderstand. I was not expressing a desire to seek more employment, though I applaud such prudent thoughts. I was merely remarking on the vast number of requests.”

  • Jessaila looks off at the water. “He was a hunter – a Sharos. Trained me to read sign and stalk animals.”
    Dragonhawk: ((er…you can’t get a 10 on “1d6” ))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((I thought we were 1d4, are we 1d6?))

Thurirl: ((but you can on a 1d4e apparently e_e))

Malaina: ((Yea, should have upgraded when we got to level 6))

Dragonhawk: ((I think we advanced to d6 when we gained level 6))

Dragonhawk: ((right, like she said ))

Seiankornai: ((or, that’s how you make dice explode in maptool automatically))

Seiankornai: ((*oh))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((ah, in that case « 1d6e = 2 »))

Dragonhawk: ((OK, you just make it))

Jamshid gains a minor following in the markets as an entertaining haggler; his overall outcomes aren’t so spectacular, though. 1 Rep.
Dragonhawk: ((Anyone else who wants to make downtime skill checks may do so pwer page 68 (and table on 69 more to the point))

Grok: ((What would I do for my crime prevention methods? Intimidate? (I’m going for rep))

Isabis: ((I’ll let you use intimidate for that, yes. You’re making a per-month check, so you need a 16 or better for 1 rep, 26 for 2.))

Malaina: ((I guess I will be buying the armor during their month long stay))

Grok: « 1d20+10 = 14 + 10 = 24 »

  • Isabis discusses options with the scholar you were guarding and decides to stick to the craftsmen’s market this month; apparently there’s some academy-politics making things sticky for Riddlemasters in this town lately.
    Grok: action dice « 1d6 = 2 »

Grok gains 2 rep bullying pickpokets and street thugs for the greater good, and hiring bards to sing about it in the taverns.

  • Isabis makes masterwork bows, not unlike the one she enchanted for herself last year… « 1d20+12 = 8 + 12 = 20 » crafting to gain reputation
    Isabis: ((and action die « 1d6 = 4 » ))
  • Seiankornai tags along with Grok, taking a bite out of crime, occasionally literially. He skulks about in the shadows, in ambush of wrong doers. (Sneak « 1d20+12 = 7 + 12 = 19 » for coin)
    Seiankornai: « 1d6 = 3 » AD

Seiankornai: ((that’ll be a 150s, it seems))

Seiankornai earns 150s in bounties by hanging around the shadows and nabbing whoever runs away from Grok
Grok: ((no fair. everyone runs away from Grok))

Seiankornai: ((Thus Seian is happy ;) ))

Isabis: ((Grok wasn’t trying to earn money, so both got what they wanted ))

Grok: ((No bonus for our teamwork?))

Malaina: « 1d20+13 = 9 + 13 = 22 » Resolve for…whatever needs resolving?

Seiankornai: ((it was two seperate checks))

Malaina: « 1d6 = 3 » AD

Isabis: ((come on, you have to at least suggest something appropriate! ))

Grok: ((Mechanically, yes. Thematically, a team effort))

Malaina: [Between sellers)

Seiankornai: ((true; Seian will have Grok be his guest of honor at his party))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((Resolve skill is used in Downtime for relaxing … page 80))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((but it’s really intended for short downtimes not months))

Isabis: ((True…for healing faster in short downtimes, meainly))

Seiankornai: ((it can be used for that, but any skill can be used for the things on page 69))

Grok: ((Resolve is hard to find an appropriate use for, though))

Seiankornai: ((marathon race?))

Malaina: ((Forget I rolled))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((marathon would be athletics))

Isabis: ((I suppose you could use resolve for anything that requires keeping focus under pressure…potion tester? emergency room medic? guard duty in a hostile…nah, if it was that bad you’d all be working on it…sure, running a race, it is a con check.))

Grok: ((Standing up to bullying? Maybe she could be working with the pickpockets Grok is intimidating))

Isabis: ((eh, marathon is endurance not speed))

Isabis: ((or she can roll something more appropriate to the time period))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((athletics refers to “feats of endurance and speed”))

Malaina: ((Forget I rolled))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((for a marathon you could use Con in place of STR for the Athletics check though))

Grok: moving on…

Seiankornai: ((I guess that’d make sense))

Grok: ((we get any character rep recently for our activities? I mean besides what we just rolled up?))

  • Thurirl attempts to ascertain the cause of the large need for river guards, as well as determine if it has increased sharply in recent times. He reports his findings to the appropriate authorities to foster Good Will in case he passes this way again. (Investigate – « 1d20+6 = 15 + 6 = 21 »)
    Malaina: « 1d20+11 = 17 + 11 = 28 » Impress

Malaina: « 2d6 = 8 » AD

Grok: ((Most impressive))

Isabis: ((one action die only , please))

Seiankornai: ((She may have an ability that let’s her roll more))

Malaina: ((I can use 2 action die for Cha based rolls))

Isabis: ((ah, OK.))

Malaina: Double Boost: You may spend and roll 2 action dice to boost Charisma-based skill checks

« 28+8 = 28 + 8 = 36 »
Seiankornai: ((so, that’s either an extra 300s or 2 Rep, which did you want?))

Isabis: ((OK, money or reputation?))

Malaina: ((the 300s))

Malaina signs up to help arbitrate trade disputes, and earns a whopping 300s – there’s a lot of business going through that office this month, no wonder they wanted help!
Malaina: ((So can I add that to the 100s they earned, or have they not gotten that yet?))

  • Grok assists in investigating the river bandit rise « 1d20+1 = 17 + 1 = 18 »
    Pause Game
  • Grok freezes in mid conversation
    You should begin your money calculations this session by adding 100s to whatever your coin in hand was, and doing end-of-adventure accounting (so lose x% of coin in hand to general expenses and partying)
    Then add coin-in-hand to stake, and make purchases from stake.
    If you earn coin from downtime checks, that goes into your new coin-in-hand pool for next adventure
    Isabis: At the end of the session, you will earn your panache income, and add that to your coin-in-hand pool as well.

Isabis: I know this accounting stuff is complicated, but it’s how the system balances money, so please pause and actually do this now.

Isabis: ((BRB, I’m going to the restroom while you all do math))

Malaina: ((Ok, so Mala earned 300s from helping in the trade disputes))

  • Seiankornai dictates letters to be sent back to home to his friends and family telling them of the exploits he’s done with the group. He has gone up a little in their estimitation ((I have enough reputation to buy another rank of renown, so on to Noble 2: Baron, woohoo))
    Isabis: OK, has everyone added the 100s and 1860xp from the prev. adevnture to their character sheets?

Seiankornai: ((100s – prudence, of course))

  • Dragonhawk waits for answers
    Malaina: ((Just added the 100s, have already updated the xp))

Grok: ((working on money now))

Thurirl: ((I don’t have my XP listed on Obsidian Portal… weird. Still got it in a text file, though Heaven knows if it’s accurate.))

Malaina: (( 22424/25000 ))

Dragonhawk: ((22424 is correct))

Thurirl: ((…yeah, I don’t think I kept track of my XP as well. 15150 can’t be right. e_e Darn it.))

Dragonhawk: (( heh. It happens))

Thurirl: ((so I guess I’ll just steal Malaina’s numbers for my books… I’m sure the IRS won’t mind))

Dragonhawk: ((hehe, fortunately the IRS isn’t auditing these books, and I actually want these numbers to be the same ))

Malaina: ((Sure, you can look on my sheet on OP))

Dragonhawk: ((at least the XP. Silver accounting probably not so much))

Thurirl: ((Nah, I got the number. . Thanks, though.))

Dragonhawk: ((Everyone post when done, please))

Thurirl: ((I think I’m done. Just have to calculate my reputation result in and I’ll be good.))

Grok: ((I’m about done))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((done))

Jessaila: ((I’ve not started. ))

Dragonhawk: ((dooooo it! I want to know everyone’s done! Seriously, takes 2 minutes if you have to stop and ask questions.))

Dragonhawk: ((also, I’m pretty sure I owe you adventure reputation. Looking it up now))

Malaina: ((I’ve already updated my xp, taken out the silver from the stake, added a coin earned during downtime, I don’t know what else to do!))

Grok: Totally up to date. Now if there was only something I wanted to buy…

Seiankornai: ((not better armor?))

Grok: anything more and I get a defense penalty

Seiankornai: heh

Dragonhawk: need to take an armor feat, do you?

Grok: Love to, but don’t have room right now. Too many better feats available

Dragonhawk: heh

Seiankornai: need more feats, yes

Seiankornai: like, double :P :)

Grok: Now if I found armor with armor basics feat as an enchantment, that would work

You each gain reputation equal to 5 + your legend bonuse for completing the scholar-escort job; apparently the scholar really talked you all up. Or maybe it was the boat crew you rescued from the sea serpents
Grok: ((Awesome. Heroic renown level 2!))

Malaina: ((Ok, my legend is +8, so it is +13?))

Grok: ((Yes))

Seiankornai: ((nice))

Malaina: ((Wow))

Malaina: ((goes to ask in IRC))

Dragonhawk: OK, that’s enough time for bookkeeping. PLEASE get this up to date for next time.

UNPAUSE
Malaina: ((I am done))

  • Grok continues talking and investigating the uptick in river attacks. ((rolled an 18))
    Thurirl makes a surprising impression on the local constabulary (they Noticed him!) looking into the river-traders’ fears, and learn quite a bit, with some help from Grok and Malaina.
    So far you have learned that yes, this is a recent and serious upswing, although sudden might be overstating the case. Lately there have been an awful lot of bandit attacks, goblin attacks, monster attacks, unexplained damage to ships, wagons, and cargos, etc.
    As Malaina observed working with the arbitration office, theres a lot of bickering, backstabbing, and general ill will going around the trade associations.
  • Thurirl doesn’t like what he hears. It’s all too convenient.
    Dockmaster: “Convenient if you’re a greedy tradesmaster with a bloomin’ army at your disposal, maybe; otherwise it’s dang inconvenient all around.”

Grok: ((any pointers towards a root cause?))

Jessaila: ((The Black Erron are always the root cause.))

Seiankornai: ((hehehe))

Grok: ((let’s go burn down a forest then))

The Ganren League traders might fit that description, corporately at least. House Savinar of the Black Peaks might count, too. For that matter, the House of Iron might might well have such a trademaster. The dockmaster knows his clients, it would seem.
Thurirl: ((Thurirl might take offense to that =P unless it’s all moving trees))

Grok: ((so it seems that one of these groups may be seeking to raise conflict for their own benefits, right?))

Thurirl: ((people of power are known to do that; it’s called “profiting off misery”))

Thurirl’s investigation suggests that tension has been building between the three trade houses for some time, though if this is more of the same, those who are instigating the actual violence and vandalism are doing a decent job of covering their tracks.
Grok: W “Tracks? Grok a good tracker.”

Grok: ((sounds interesting, but this is too subtle to interest Grok, so someone else is going to have to take point. Thurirl?))

  • Vari eventually returns and has his ear throughly ‘chewed off’ by Mala when he finally catchs up to her
    So far, the independents are having a little less trouble than the big trading houses, though they also have fewer resources to deal with it.
  • Thurirl makes a point to investigate further and bring his results back to the authorities. There may be more to this than mere politics.
    Seiankornai: “Hello Vari, where did you go?”
  • Dockmaster reads Thurirl’s notes over a constable’s shoulder
  • Jessaila presents the cow she and Mala bought for Vari, though.
    Dockmaster: “Oy. We haven’t seen this much trouble in years, but unless we actually catch someone – in shape to answer questions, you know – we’ll never prove it’s anything special.”

Constable: “Well, this many goblins didn’t suddenly get a thirst for caravaneer blood for no reason, that’s sure enough already!”

Dockmaster: “Yeah, OK, but is someone paying them off? And are they paying them to attack caravans, or just to stay off of whatever they were raiding before?”

  • Vari grumbles to himself as he now seems to be sticking to Mala’s side, pouting when all she gives him is glares
  • Thurirl listens intently to the conversation.
    Seiankornai: “Oh, goblins, they’re causing you people trouble as well?”
  • Jessaila whispers in Mala’s ear and suggests that Mala remind Vari that, even though she’s been upset and worried, to make sure she tells Vari that’s because she cares for him.
  • Malaina sighs and lets out a huff, wanting to remain annoyed, but knowing she really can’t, even if she tries
    You whisper to Thurirl: it’s hard to say, but it looks to you like there are a several discrete groups operating; one focusing on banditry, one focusing on sabotage, and at least one, probably two more mixing it up a bit more creatively.
    Thurirl: “It is quite possible that there is more than one group involved. In war, it is a common practice to disable both your enemy’s ability and desire to fight, and to force him to fight on one more front than he is able to handle.”

Dockmaster: “Hmm. Is it a trade war, then? Four or five sided…that would explain why it seems like there must be a plan behind it, but we can’t pick it out. It’s three or four or five plans.”

Thurirl: “I concur. Each may even have its own unique goal, instead of working at the same one or in a concerted effort. The result is the same: an unfavorable environment for business.”

  • Seiankornai listens in on the conversation with interest
    Constable: "Well, there’s one way to get answers…you and your sunchaser friends can always hire on with someone and try to catch “someone in shape to answer questions.”

Seiankornai: “It sounds like it’s your sort of thing, Thurirl.”

Constable: “Your work so far is impressive, though, and we’ll certainly continue to look into things here.”

Seiankornai: “And Grok makes for a great distraction.”

If you want to try the constable’s plan, you have many choices: mainly, river or land route, and Ganren League / House Savinar / House of Iron / independent
Seiankornai: ((destinations? what interesting places would we go to?))

Thurirl: “Indeed. I will look into this; it may prove enlightening. Although… we may need to ensure the ogre understands we need one of them in one piece, and with a sound mind.”

Grok: ((use smaller words, then))

Constable: ((you can pretty much go where you want, actually; any major city on the map has traders going there. Do you care?))

Constable: ((Grok! No break prisoners! Need them to talk lots, not die while talking.))

Constable: (( ))

Seiankornai: ((I have a feeeling that Grok would be “sottle” like this http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20100609 ))

Thurirl: ((“H’okay! Now I’s gonna ‘sottle’ yor head right off!”))

Constable: ((For reference, House Savinar contacts would give you an in with one of the noble families in the black peaks; House of Iron with the dwarvish territories, Ganren league is an Anmai-based trade concern.))

Grok: ((Grok votes for Ganren League))

Grok: ((Grok also votes for bedtime soon.))

  • Jessaila has no preference.
  • Seiankornai is one of the noble families of hte Black Peaks :P ;)
  • Malaina doesn’t really care
    Constable: ((So is Isabis. This is a different one ))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((Jamshid second’s Grok’s motions …both of them))

Seiankornai: ((I’m good with those, sure))

Constable: ((OK, we’ll stop here and you will find a Ganren League trader looking for caravan escorts first thing next week.))

Thurirl: “I have not visited the dwarves in quite some time. Perhaps it’s best I do so now. I feel a strange compulsion to consult my financial advisor on the matter of investing in this town’s trade.”

Thurirl: ((well, we can visit the dwarves later then =P))

Constable: ((…and the caravan will head for Moru’s Mirror. Everyone who stated a preference wins! ))

Thurirl: ((heh; works for me))

Game Saved
Log Saved

Log 33

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 32

Sunchasers DH Moochi