Log 53

Main Page
Logs Index
Log 52

You are face to face with creatures you have never encountered before. They are bluish purple, with three legs coming out from their smooth skinned body. The legs are on the ground forming a triangle, except when they move, where the three legs go up like a tripod, and then go back down, moving the creature in the direction it wishes to go. The part of the body which seems to be the head has several dark slits, and it has several appendages that remind you of tentcles. However, objects “held” in these tentcles seem to defy the law of gravity as the tentcles do not wrap around the objects but instead are on the sides of the tentcles, seemingly stuck there. A slit communicates in a trilling sound “YEckticole?”
DM: (( to remind the players, this is a first contact challenge. How will first contact go when there isn’t even a common language?))

Isabis: “Greetings?”

  • Isabis displays empty hands in hopes of at least staving off any spear-happy reactions
    Creature: “Urfelotge”
  • Jessaila similarly displays empty hands.
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur stands very still
    Some of the slits seem to take in the empty hands, then look at the rest of their group.
  • Thurirl is standing still as well, hoping he does not come across as a threat. Not until or unless it’s necessary.
    Creature: “Wabnvtsc Rqboxivm Pasqnm.”

Isabis: “I think we need to give each other a vocabulary lesson.”

  • Seiankornai does not offer empty claws, since they’re still dangerous
  • Isabis looks around; what is in this environment besides non-humanoids with spears?
    Seiankornai: ((also the DM should come on Skype))

Seiankornai: “Perhaps offer them some food?”

  • Jessaila doesn’t think she’d be very good at this, so stays quiet.
    Isabis: “I would if I knew what they ate…”
  • Malaina also stays quiet with Jess
    Seiankornai: “Start with vegitables and move on to meat.”

Isabis: “Would that work well with you, oh carnivore?”

The creature are standing in front of a gap between two trees. The gap is covered with leaves and vines, creating a dark area from which they came from. You are in a forested area, with a slight slope to the ground.
Seiankornai: “If meat was offered afterward, yes. An herbivore might be offended by the offer of meat., a carnivore just recognizeds a mistake.”

Thurirl: “They may still perceive the gesture as a gift. Though we must be careful: food for us may be poison for them.”

Isabis: “Maybe we should try something less prone to complications first; names, for example.”

Seiankornai: “Actaully ,offer them both, let’s just sit down and gesture for them to join us, buffet style.”

Seiankornai: “Fine, names.”

Thurirl: “I am uncertain if they are capable of ‘sitting’, or if they even consider the act desirable.”

Seiankornai: “They can relax how they wish.”

  • Jessaila sits down.
    Seiankornai: “Anyway…”
  • Isabis starts by pointing to herself and saying her name
  • Seiankornai points to himself and says his name
    The creatures seem to recoil at the sound of Seiankornai. One points a spear at him threateningly, doing this even while recoiling
    Thurirl: “We seem to have run into a small problem.”
  • Seiankornai goes silent
  • Seiankornai backs off just a little, and lays down, to show he’s not a threat
    Isabis: “Nervous types, aren’t you? Not that I blame you, drakes are powerful people.”

The creatures carefully watch Seiankornai move. It’s clear that this is something new to them
Creature: ((dm getting microphone, 1 second

  • Axhar stays invisible for now
    Thurirl: “If they know the language of Drakes, they may have had dealings with them.”

Thurirl: “…though perhaps not pleasant ones.”

  • Seiankornai says quietly, “Mala, how about you hug Vari? Show affection to him.”
  • Malaina gives Seian a look
  • Seiankornai gives Mala a counter look
    Isabis: “At least he’s not asking you hug /him/ Malaina.”

Seiankornai: "And she’

Seiankornai: s hugged Vari before."

  • Malaina rolls her eyes a bit, but has Vari lower down to her level and she hugs his head, smiling when he gives a happy rumble in his throat
    The creatures are again reacting to the sound coming from the drake, and there seems to be a little bit more nervous.
    Isabis: “Maybe they just don’t like your voice for some reason?”

Thurirl: “We should take their focus off of the drakes. Otherwise, we will get nowhere.”

  • Seiankornai nods
    Creature: “Uxykil Fekal sincatli Ssnmerz!” proclaims one creature, pointing to the left with his spear."
  • Seiankornai looks that way
  • Thurirl looks where the fellow is pointing.
    He/she/it is pointing in the slightly upslope direction, off into the forest.
  • Jessaila looks the opposite direction.
    Creature: DM offers a hint for one action die. ((meaning I gain an action die if you take the hint.))

Seiankornai: ((sure))

Seiankornai: ((any opposed?))

Thurirl: “Strange. I wonder if that direction is related to their fear of drakes.”

Isabis: “Do you want us to go there?” gesturing as though pushing the group that way

Creature: ((Hint: These creatures have seemed to react to certain noises. Their speech seems to have various frequencies to it. Also, sense motive may be your friend, even if it is difficult due to language barriers.))

Seiankornai: ((can I have a bonus for knowing all but one of the standard languages?))

Jessaila: « 1d20+3 = 12 + 3 = 15 » Sense Motive

  • Isabis tries to sense whether they want us to move, or just look in that direction « 1d20+12 = 9 + 12 = 21 »
    Malaina: « 1d20+6 = 4 + 6 = 10 » Sense Motive

Creature: ((you can attempt a knowledge languages check to potentially learn something about their language.))

Creature: Isabis senses that currently the creatures want you to move off, because you big nasties scare them.

Seiankornai: ((Sense Motive « 1d20+5 = 1 + 5 = 6 », 5 languages known as well as far as that goes))

Seiankornai: (( ))

Seiankornai does not sense anything about these creatures. They are a total mystery to him.
Creature: “Patrefki Kilshe Kitla” the creature exclaims.

Creature: ((Make a notice check))

Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 11 + 10 = 21 » Notice

Isabis: ((knowledge check « 1d20+9 = 17 + 9 = 26 » plus any additional bonus granted by knowledge of 4 languages))

Malaina: « 1d20+8 = 7 + 8 = 15 » Notice

Seiankornai: ((Notice « 1d20+7 = 14 + 7 = 21 »))

Creature: Jess and Isabis notice that this time, the language has a deep baritone to it, different from before

Also, the agitation of the creatures has increased as you do not seem to react to them.
Isabis: “I think they want us to leave…odd change in his voice, I wonder if the language is tonal?”

  • Isabis speaks in a high voice
    Jessaila: “I think that the deeper the sound, the more threatening it may be to them.”
  • Seiankornai gets up and starts walking in that direction, looking over his should every now and then at the creatures to confirm this is what they want
    Isabis: “We don’t understand you, won’t you try some other method of communication?”

Thurirl: “If they wish us to move, we should do so. We can communicate from a distance.”

  • Thurirl follows Seian, turning around when he decides he has walked far enough.
    The creatures now focus slits on Isabis. There seems to be some head cocking going on as well.
  • Malaina follows after Seian as well, having Vari follow her
    Isabis: “They wish us to move /away from the sunpool/ which makes me nervous…” (soprano!)

The creatures seem to be ignoring the rest of the group at this time.

  • Malaina has Vari lay down at a distance and sits down against him to watch and listen
  • Thurirl defers to Isabis, only speaking up if he has a suggestion or an insight.
    Creature: “Pstsik fechk tristtt?” the head creature speaks, this time in a more neutral tone.

Isabis: “Oh, look, I have their full attention. Don’t go too far, everyone.”

  • Thurirl also makes sure to pay close attention in case there’s something the creatures do that could help. (Notice: « 1d20+9 = 10 + 9 = 19 »)
    Isabis: “Oh, Jess, Malaina, do you know any good songs in a high register?”
Jessaila: “Well, I know a few. Should I get out my instrument?”
  • Seiankornai nods
    Malaina: “Only thing I have is my whistle.”

Isabis: “…whistles are high pitched, anyway…”

Malaina: “Should I try it? Deep sounds make them nervous and high pitched ones get their attention.”

Isabis: ((is this a slide-whiste instrument, or just a safety whistle?))

Thurirl: ((I dunno if they make slide-whistles in this universe…))

Malaina: ((Like a signal whistle, its what she uses when she needs to call Vari when he is far away))

Isabis: ((Let’s start with Jessaila’s then. She can play and we can sing ))

  • Jessaila unpacks her pipes.
    Thurirl: “Perhaps deep sounds are used to signal threats, or to intimidate. Perhaps they have not had dealings with drakes, but only fear their deep voices.”
  • Thurirl turns to Seian. “How is your vocal range?”
    Isabis: “It’s quite possible. Growling tends to be a deep sounds, too.”
  • Seiankornai attempts his highest pitch, “I can vary it somewhat.”
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “Not everything interprets growling in the same way, however”
  • Jessaila takes a deep breath and starts puffing into her pipes, then starts playing a tune.
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “Cats, for example, growl to express pleasure”

Seiankornai: ((Using Charming while you play music and sign, for an extra benefit of +5 to Disposition))

Thurirl: “Yet they seem to react with fear to deep sounds. Or at least nervousness.”

Jessaila: ((Jessaila plays something like the tsabouna – the Greek version of the bagpipes.))
  • Isabis sings along with Jessaila’s tune.
  • Malaina sings along as well
    Creature: ((Jess, you can make an impress check, to attempt to affect their disposition. Singers can attempt to assist))
Malaina: « 1d20+12 = 4 + 12 = 16 » Impress to Assist

Isabis: assisting a good impression? « 1d20+6 = 16 + 6 = 22 »

Creature: +4 so far

Jessaila: « 1d20+3 = 19 + 3 = 22 » Impress Jessaila: ((Also, I have an Interest in playing it.))
  • Thurirl is not sure he can sing along, instead paying attention to the creatures and their general reactions. (Notice: « 1d20+9 = 16 + 9 = 25 »)
  • Seiankornai attempts to look as non-threatening as possible (Impress « 1d20+6 = 1 + 6 = 7 »))
    Seiankornai: ((CURSE YOU DICE BOT!!! D:))

Creature: impressing by being non threatening. Interesting attempt. But fails.

Seiankornai: ((maybe sneak would’ve been better, don’t attract notice))

The disposition towards the females of the party has increased to intrigued. To the drakes, the disposition is cold

  • Vari is dozing, so doesn’t care
    Creature: ((does Vari snore?))

Malaina: ((No))

Thurirl: ((probably a good thing at this point… drake’s snoring would probably startle them… .;; ))

  • Seiankornai decides it best to follow Vari’s lead, and settles down for a watchful nap
    One of the creatures moves towards Isabis. The creature carefully uses her as a shield against Seiankornai, but approaches her.
    Thurirl: ((sigh darn emoticons won’t work here))
Jessaila: ((Some do, not all))
  • Isabis is fine with having Seiankornai at her back
    The creature reaches out with a tentcle towards Isabis
  • Isabis holds out a hand in similar manner, but doesn’t touch the creature herself
  • Jessaila keeps on playing her pipes.
    Creature: “Pyskil flwd’ss?” The creature ignores the hand, and touches her shirt. The creature pulls back after contact, and the shirt seems to be stuck to the tentcle.
  • Malaina archs an eyebrow
    Thurirl: “Fascinating. I do not believe these creatures have ever seen clothing before.”

Isabis: “Ah…that’s attached to me, more or less…please let go?”

  • Thurirl is rather intrigued now, leaning forward and watching with intent.
    Jessaila: ((Clearly, we should not try to hug them as we might get stuck.))

The shirt falls from the creature’s grip. It touches again, and the shirt is seemingly stuck to the tentcle again.

  • Malaina giggles a bit
    Isabis: *When next the creature is not gripping her shirt, Isabis gets an extra out of her pack and displays it to …him?it?her?

Isabis: “See, it’s like this. You can pull on this one.”

The creature grabs it like it has been, and then the tentcle whips around, releasing the shirt into the air. The shirt floats back into it’s grasp.
The other creatures are watching the shirt as it falls back to the creature.

  • Jessaila takes a break from her pipes.
    Thurirl: “They are learning. They are certainly rational.”

Creature: “EStilkils. Sweckl rastil.” The other creatures speak in a soprano tone

  • Malaina wonders if she should blow her whistle a few times
    Isabis: “Heh. High voice – I guess he likes it.”
Jessaila: “Can we have an exchange of gifts?”

Thurirl: “If we can make them understand it is a gift, then perhaps. Provided their culture holds such concepts.”

Isabis: “Well, they can keep the shirt, I guess, and we can see if they offer us something back.”

  • Seiankornai wishes he had telepathy right now
    The creature takes the shirt back to the group, and they surround it, with all of them touching it.
    Low volume conversation insues among the group
  • Malaina just waits
  • Thurirl does not make a sound or move at all.
  • Isabis waits for them to finish their conversation
    The creature who recieved the shirt moves back to Isabis, and presents her with a vine. Before her, the creature uses two tentcles to break open the vine and presents it to her.
    Creature: sure
  • Isabis takes the vine and looks inside (is that what is meant by “open” in this context?)
    Creature: ((Split along it’s length.))

Isabis: ((OK. What does the inside look like then?))

Isabis looks inside, and notices a strong, but sweet smell coming from the vine.

  • Isabis takes it to the others, mimicing the “gather around and talk quietly” behavior of the strangers
    Isabis: “It smells good – food? Perfume?”
  • Jessaila smells it.
    Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 8 + 10 = 18 » Notice

Creature: ((anyone have any alchemy or other related crafting type skill?))

Isabis: ((Pharmacy?))

Creature: ((Good enough. You got that?))

Jessaila: ((I have an Interest in Cooking.))
  • Isabis tries to figure out if it would make anything healthy « 1d20+13 = 4 + 13 = 17 »
    Isabis: ((Pharmacy is my 2nd focus, yes))

Isabis recognizes it as a scent akin to a perfume used occasionally in the royal household.
Isabis: “Huh. You know, it reminds me of that perfume my cousins get so excited over. It might actually be more valuable than the shirt.”

Malaina: “Well, they like high pitched noises. Maybe they might like my whistle?”

Isabis: “Oh, there’s a good idea!”

Isabis: “We can get another one next time we’re in town.”

  • Malaina digs out her whistle and blows it a bit
  • Seiankornai imagines himself trying to use the whistle in conjunction with speaking, and figures it’d be like someone alternating shouting angrily one moment then talking sweetly the next.
  • Vari blinks his eyes open, but seeing there is no emergency, closes them again
    The creatures look around, but do not seem to understand where the sound is coming from. They start to crowd around Malaina, looking over, under, and around her for the source of the sound.
  • Malaina blows the whistle again and then holds it out for them to see, to show them that the sound came from the device in her hand, though she squeaks a bit when they somehow get under her
    One creature touches the whistle, and puts it up to one of it’s slits. ((unfortunately, this doesn’t help, as it is currently holding it up to it’s visual organ))
    Jessaila: ((Snerk))
  • Malaina giggles a bit and gestures for him/it/she/notsure to give it back and if they do, she points to her mouth, puts the whistle to her mouth and blows it to make the sound, pointing to her mouth and then its mouth
    The creature tries another slit, and this time the whistle disappears inside the creature. Another one, however, has the cord, and is pulling on it as well
    Isabis: “Maybe try blowing without it so they can see what you’re doing, then with it so they can hear the result?”

The creature that ingested the whistle starts to make some strange noise
Malaina: “Oh dear.”

  • Jessaila blows into her pipes to demonstrate the blowing motion.
    Another creature uses an appendage to wack the swallower on the body area, and pulls out the whistle. This one then shakes the whistle, making a noise with it.
  • Seiankornai picks his head up, wondering if the creature is choking
    Isabis: “Hehehe, I guess they don’t go in for wind instruments much.”

The former swallower then moves off, and puts some leaves into the orfice that the whistle went down.
Malaina: “Oh dear, hope he is ok.”

Another creature comes by and gives more greenery to the creature

  • Isabis tries to figure out if the green stuff is anything healthy « 1d20+13 = 15 + 13 = 28 »
  • Seiankornai hmmms to himself, noting they seem to be herbivores at least
    Creature: Is that survival?

Creature: or knowledge?

Isabis: ((craft: pharmacy again))

Creature: ((works for me. The greenery is edible to humanoids, but is more along the lines of survival food rather than any delicacy or even anything you would eat unless you were rather desperately hungry.))

Isabis: “Hmm. I hope that’s medicine and not food – it’s non-poisonous, but not my idea of a delicious salad.”

Creature: ((You guys are close to sealing the deal here, you just need to do a little bit more to finish this one.))

Malaina: ((Perhaps another song?))

  • Jessaila digs in her pack for some cheese she had stashed earlier.
  • Jessaila breaks the cheese in half and holds a piece out to the closest Tripoid.
    The creature takes hold of it, and looks at it. It also throws it up in the air, and catches it.
  • Jessaila eats her piece of cheese, making sure she’s seen eating it.
    The creature seems to watch, and puts it in a slit. The creature starts squeeling.
    Behind you, the sunpool turns green
    Seiankornai: ((hehe, it likes it))

Isabis: “Ah, green waters. I guess it’s a hit.”

  • Seiankornai tries to whistle
    Malaina: “Why not give them the rest of your cheese as we leave?”
  • Jessaila takes out the rest of her cheese.
    Jessaila: “Not much, but let’s pass it out.”
  • Malaina stands up and heads for the sunpool, glad they will enjoy the whistle
  • Seiankornai nudges Vari, and gets up himself
    Isabis: “Goodby. I hope we meet again under more repeatable circumstances – nobody will believe us otherwise!”
  • Vari gets up and follows after Mala
    Creature: +1 AD for Isabis for realizing the tonal connection with the languages of the triploids

Isabis: ((Thanks ))

Malaina: ((Woohoo!))

  • Seiankornai enters the sunpool, before attempting to try any bad ideas of his
  • Malaina also enters into the sunpool, Vari right behind her
    DM: (Where’s the fun in that?)

Seiankornai: ((how would thye have reacted to hissing? a bit higher pitched than regular talk))

You return to the temple, another symbol has been completed

  • Jessaila takes up the rear of the party.
    DM: ((Not well. Snakes hiss sometimes, and they are forest dwellers, so…))

DM: ((3 symbols remain))

Isabis: ((OK, so which one were you advocating for last time when we accidentally went ahead without you?))

Seiankornai: “Well, we’ve done enough to secure the future of sunchasing. Shall we go for the bonuses?”

Isabis: “May as well. It’d be nice if we also got, say, enough silver to replace a shirt, a signaling whistle, and some cheese.”

Jessaila: “I want this to be worth my time, certainly.”

Malaina: “Hehe, true.”

DM: ((you guys have control of the hand. DM is getting water for a sec though

Isabis: “Besides, this has been kinda fun. Lots of different things to do, and always knowing there really is an escape if you need it.”

  • Malaina goes to check on the ogres by peeking outside
    Seiankornai: “So, the runner, the drop, or the skull? Which shall it be?”

Malaina sees that the battle continues. Or at least, it looks like a battlefield. Currently though, you don’t know where the ogres are.
O wait, there they are. They are chargeing the archway with a logram. And bouncing off, incidentally.

  • Malaina sighs and shakes her head, going back to the others
    Seiankornai: “Are they still at it?”

Thurirl: “I would not be surprised. With any luck, we will not have too much difficulty in returning.”

Malaina: “Yes they are, makes me wonder if we will be able to get across when we are done.”

  • Seiankornai hears votes for the green drop, “Sounds fine to me.”
    This time, you find yourself in a stone carvern. Inside this room is a table with several vials on it, and there is a doorway leading out of the room, covered by a blue sheen. The red sunpool is behind you.
  • Seiankornai steps forward, waiting for the voice
    Isabis: “Alchemy?”
  • Thurirl observes the room, waiting for the voice before he begins examing things more closely.
    The Voice speaks "Explorers not only must do difficult feats, but they must do so while under difficult conditions. Such as being poisoned, diseased, tired, or all of the above. Now we could give you a disease, and let it’s take it’s course. Or you can drink these vials, and show you have the fortitude to complete the tasks which explorers have to do while under these conditions.
    Malaina: “So we have to drink what’s in the vials and hope we survive?”

Seiankornai: “….”

Isabis: “So…we’re supposed to poison ourselves on purpose?”

There are six vials on the table
Isabis: “What in…eh. We have healing magic, and I know how to make cures. It probably won’t kill us.”

Seiankornai: “Go ahead then…”

The vials are purple, orange, green, burgandy, pink, and brown.
Malaina: “Well….maybe I should go first, I’m not a healer like you casters, and if something goes wrong, I have you guys to take care of me.”

  • Vari protests this in a somewhat violent manner
  • Isabis tries to identify the types of poison « 1d20+13 = 13 + 13 = 26 »
    Jessaila: “No, I’ll go first. You’ve got Vari to take care of, Mala.”

Isabis: “Just a second, let me see if I can figure out what we’re getting ourselves into here. Wouldn’t want to give an enraging poison to a drake.”

DM: Isabis recognizes taht these aren’t normal poisons, but instead magical potions made to mimic certain effects

Thurirl: “It would be best to examine the vials should any of us have knowledge of disease or poison.”

Isabis: “…argh. Nevermind, this isn’t the kind of stuff I have experience with.”

Thurirl: “What are they then?”

Isabis: “They’re /potions/ not just /poisons/.”

DM: ((Hey, what’s the point of being in a fantasy world if you don’t use the “it’s magic” excuse every so often?"

Seiankornai: ((heh))

  • Jessaila has a look at the bottles.
    Malaina: “And that is why I have all of you, in case anything happens to me. I trust all of you to know what to do. So I am going to go first.”

Jessaila: “Green is an elven color, but I like the look of this pink one instead.”

  • Malaina goes up to the table and picks up the green vial
    Seiankornai: (((but does Vari trust all of us? ))

The vials are all about half full, in bright colors.
Malaina: ((If he didn’t, he wouldn’t let Mala travel with any of you.))

Isabis: “OK, Ok. I’ll take brown.”

  • Malaina drinks the vial
    Seiankornai: ((hehe, fair enough))

DM: ((Why does he let Mal travel with Grok?))

  • Jessaila observes the immediate effects before drinking.
  • Seiankornai will take a blue one if present
    Malaina: ((He may not like the way he acts, but he hasn’t done anything to harm her))
  • Seiankornai will wait a moment, first though
  • Thurirl consider which vial to choose…
    Isabis: “What color do you want, Thurirl? No, strike that. What color do you intend to put up with?”
  • Malaina drank the green one
    DM: purple, orange, green, burgandy, pink, and brown

Malaina: “Vari, you be good for the others if anything happens”

Thurirl: “There is no way to know the effects of the color until it is drunk. Therefore, I cannot accurately say.”

Seiankornai: ((make that the purple, instead of blue))

  • Vari looks ready to cry
    Isabis: “Don’t worry Vari, it’ll be OK.”
  • Isabis drinks her vial of brown stuff
    Seiankornai: “This should be survivable as a test, no point in just killing someone outright.”
  • Jessaila downs the pink bottle.
    Isabis: “Right, the dangerous part will be on the other side of the barrier, and you can protect her like always.”

After Malaina drinks her vial, the others remain stubbornly in their holders.
Isabis: “…odd”

Seiankornai: “Oh, only one?”

Seiankornai: “How do you feel, Mala?”

Jessaila: ((Query for clarification.))

Malaina feels very tired, ((1 level of Fatigue)) and sick to her stomach. ((She is currently suffering from Anthrax -4 str, -4 con))

  • Malaina leans against the table heavily, her skin looking quite pale
    Jessaila: ((Are you implying that we all have to either drink the same bottle, or need to take turns, or were all supposed to drink together?))

DM: ((Each vial will relate to a challenge in the other room. You will be weakened while attempting this challenge. So, one at a time, Malaina 1st))

DM: ((one at a time))

Isabis: ((aah, OK))

The blue sheen is now green
The one covering the door to the next room.
Jessaila: “Be careful, Mala!”

  • Malaina looks up at where the sheen in and gulps sickly, but pushs herself up and heads for it
    The Voice speaks, “You may want to take the vial with you.”
  • Vari will probably have to be held back
  • Isabis tries to put a hand through the blue barrier
  • Malaina grabs a hold of the vial and heads for the door
    Isabis is unable to get through the doorway, but Malania sees a lit rock face in the next room. Other areas are dark, but at the top, she sees a small hole, perhaps vial shaped, high up.
    Seiankornai: “Do we all go in?”
  • Seiankornai watches Isabis, “Ah, no.”
  • Malaina gulps again, but heads over to where she sees the lit up place
  • Vari tries to peek in, scratching at the wall a bit in frustration
    The wall looks climbable, but might be a little bit of a challenge in your condition.
    Malaina: ((What do I have to roll?))

Seiankornai: ((Athletics most likely))

DM: ((Depends. If you are climbing, athletics))

Malaina: « 1d20+7 = 16 + 7 = 23 » Athletics

DM: ((that counting the negative -4 strength and the -2 fatigue penalty?))

Malaina: ((I did take off the 2 from my Str, I guess take 2 off for Fatigue?))

DM: ((Yeah, you made it up the 1st section, now you have to make one more to get to the top))

Seiankornai: ((Fatigue is -2 to Str, so a -1 mod penalty))

Malaina: ((So I roll a 6 instead of a 7?))

Seiankornai: ((so in total it’s a -6 to Str))

Seiankornai: ((so a -3 mod to the skill))

Malaina: ((So I roll a d20+7-3?))

Seiankornai: ((so yeah, +6 instead of +7))

DM: ((Yep, sorry. Got confused with another later one.))

Malaina: « 1d20+6 = 5 + 6 = 11 » Athletics

DM: (Tactics isn’t an explorer base skill))

Malaina: « 1d6 = 3 » AD

DM: Malania finds herself unable to make progress

DM: ((She may attempt again, though))

Seiankornai: ((but at least not falling))

Malaina: « 1d20+6 = 11 + 6 = 17 » Athletics

This time, she makes it to the top.

  • Malaina inspects the hole and puts the vial in
    Her fatigue and disease fade away, and she feels whole. However, an iron barrier slides down, leaving her unable to access the rest of the room.
    DM: ((who’s the next victim?))

Jessaila: ((I was going to drink just after Malaina.))

Seiankornai: “Hrm, guess I’ll go next, purple it is.”

  • Malaina blinks at feeling a whole lot better, but groans at being trapped in the room and yells at Vari to calm down and stop trying to break the wall
    The sheen turns blue again
  • Seiankornai drinks the poistion
    Seiankornai suffers under the effects of typiod fever and also feels sickened
    Seiankornai: ((specific effects?))

DM: ((-2 str and con, -2 to all skill checks))

  • Seiankornai uneasily walks through the door
    DM: ((Sorry, disease and conditions are widely seperated in the book

Seiankornai: ((open the PDF twice?))

Seiankornai sees a river lit up. The river goes under a cavern wall, and the lit portion seems to extend deep beyond the wall. It is against the current, too.
Seiankornai: “Blah…”

  • Seiankornai examines the wall and river closer
    The water flows towards him, away from the wall, and off in the distance. The lit portion illuminates the river bed, and it looks like it might be a tight fit for a drake
  • Seiankornai tries entering the river, seeing how strong it is, and trying to look for a spot to put the vial
    After sticking his head in, he discovers the current isn’t that strong. It should be possible to swim against it. The lit area extends under the wall, but you can’t see any place for the vial
  • Seiankornai heads towards the wall and tries looking around past it
    There is a solid wall for the river. He sees Malina up high, and other areas unlit
  • Malaina waves down to Seian
  • Seiankornai waves his tail at her, as he continues his focus at the river
  • Seiankornai follows the light as far as he can
    DM: ((swim check please))

Seiankornai: ((Athletics « 1d20+10-3 = 20 + 10 – 3 = 27 »))

Seiankornai: ((If I spend a few ADs can I complete the challenge outright?))

DM: ((If you spend 2, yes))

Seiankornai: ((consider them spent))

Seiankornai is just as comfortable under the water as he is in the air, and swims like a fish through the river. He finds a place for the vial on the under side, and he is healed of his condition
Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((afk 1 min, will have to log in about 10))

The sheen is blue again
DM: ((who next?))

Isabis: ((Jamshid, so he can finish up and go?))

An iron barrier blocks off his access to the river
Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((back))

DM: ((pick your poison. Literally))

  • Jamshid par-Bahadur randomly picks a vial without looking
    DM: « roll 1d4 = Invalid expression: roll 1d4. »

DM: « 1d4 = 3 »

DM: Jamshid chooses pink

Jessaila: “Oy, you picked my poison!”

  • Jamshid par-Bahadur chugs the potion
    DM: Jamshid is blaffed (-2 to skill checks) and Encephatlitis (-2 wis)

Isabis: “You’ll have to go with the burgandy one, Jess.”

Jamshid par-Bahadur: “Wow, that kicks like a camel”

Stepping through the door, you see a table with many objects on it. He gets closer, and then the light shuts off. Befuddled, he stumbles around, and then the light turns back on.
Isabis: “Sounds painful.”

Seiankornai: “I think I would’ve prefered a camal kick.”

The Voice speaks “So, what is different, my brave warrior?”
DM: ((Make a notice check to find the difference))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: Notice 11

“No, it isn’t the red sash” says the Voice. “Perhaps a differnet set?”
The light goes on, gives him a moment, and then flickers off again, to return to seemingly the same objects
DM: ((another notice check))

  • Jamshid par-Bahadur examines the objects more carefully (Notice 16)
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((wait, that wasn’t including the negative modifiers — that should be 13))

DM: “Perhaps you aren’t such a great explorer. One more chance.”

Thurirl: ((You’re not supposed to remind the GM of your difficulties. =P He’s supposed to catch you ignoring them.))

The whole routine repeats one last time.
Jamshid par-Bahadur: “Axhar, help me out here”

Axhar: apparates

Axhar: Notice 19

Jamshid par-Bahadur: Notice 4

Jamshid par-Bahadur: “What am I missing?”

What Jamshid failed to notice this time was the blowgun pointed towards him. The dart hits him
Jamshid par-Bahadur: “*@&%)@!”

Seiankornai: “Oh, that colorful desert tongue.”

  • Jessaila winces.
    Jamshid falls unconsious. The blue sheen is restored to the doorway
  • Malaina winces
    Jessaila: “Well?”

Jamshid’s area is barred by another metal gate.
Thurirl: “I believe it is someone else’s turn.”

Isabis: “Let’s hurry up, so we can heal him.”

DM: ((if you can get him to appear and disappear at will, yes. If he can’t, and has to pass through the doorway, then he can’t.))

DM: ((another dimensional decanter?))

DM: ((He can get through then))

  • Axhar attempts to heal Jamshid
    Axhar: Cure Wounds III

DM: ((Since it isn’t damage but instead poison, that doesn’t help))

DM: ((who drinks next?))

  • Jessaila picks up the burgundy liquid and downs it swiftly.
  • Axhar meanwhile attempts more mundane measures to help Jamshid (Medicine 27)
    DM: Jess is also baffled and intoxicated ((Total -4 wisdom))

Jessaila: “Wooooo, I’ve totally drank that before…”

Jess goes through the door, and her challenge seems to be a mushroom patch. "So, which ones of these are edible for a starving explorer?
DM: ((i’d recommend that))

Jessaila: « 1d20+9 = 13 + 9 = 22 » Survival

Malaina: “Jess, you look like that time you had too much at that bar and you punched a guy in the face for touching your rear!”

Jessaila: “Well, duh, that’s easy. This one, this one, and definitely not this one.”

Seiankornai: “And she missed.”

Isabis: “To be fair, that’s a perfectly reasonable response to a guy touching ones rear even when one is /not/ intoxicated.”

Malaina: “But her leg didn’t miss!”

Seiankornai: “No, but it slipped first.”

Jess is able to find the edible mushrooms there. Next, different piles of moss appear. “Same question, dearie”
Jessaila: « 1d20+9 = 19 + 9 = 28 » Survival

Isabis: “Is it just me, or is the voice talking a lot more than usual?”

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((I’ll be heading out now, later all))

Seiankornai: “…. hmm, I guess she has had this before and is used to it.”

Malaina: ((Later))

Seiankornai: ((goodnight Jamshid))

Isabis: ((goodnight))

Malaina: “Well, she is older then us.”

Jamshid par-Bahadur is disconnected.
Jessaila: “This one, if you’re desperate, and that one too. If you’re going to get me drunk and ask me questions, then I want a damn cheesecake for my time!”

Jess knows her mushrooms, fungus, and other stuff. A area lights up that has a vial hole in it. A barrier also leaves her with her mushrooms
Malaina: “You better save me a slice! You’re so greedy with the desserts!”

Jessaila: “I’m an elf, we need our chocolate to survive!”

Malaina: “That’s no excuse!”

  • Seiankornai cocks his head, “I’ve heard of cheesecake from some men in the taverns we’ve visited… and I thought you already have it…”
    Jess puts in her vial, but unlike the rest, her condition doesn’t improve. “Some things don’t have an antidote.”
    Jessaila: “You’re right, I’m so ashamed that next time I’ll share.”

Malaina: “I can’t tell if your tone is sarcastic….”

Jessaila: “And I’m still Moru-damned drunk you * of a voice!”

Isabis: “Oh, my. Jessaila, don’t cuss out the mysterous voice!”

Malaina: “Jess, watch your language!”

Isabis: “…I’m going next, I could use the distraction.”

Malaina: “I’m going to have to hold your hair out of the way again when you eventually throw up, aren’t I?”

Seiankornai: “It’s interesting how she managed to pick a word that is pretty foul in multiple languages, all of which are somewhat appropriate.”

  • Jessaila sings. “I’ll watch my language with my shaaaarp elven eyes…”
  • Isabis ingests the brown potion
  • Thurirl is not sure if this is good for party morale.
    Isabis is infected with Leprosy (-2 dex) and disorientating (-2 dex)
    Isabis: “Ew. I hope this one does cure up. Yuck.”
  • Isabis walks carefully through the barrier
  • Thurirl looks a bit horrified. He’s heard terrible things about leprosy…
  • Malaina winces a bit at Isabis
    Seiankornai: ((wonder what made it brown >.> ))

Thurirl: ((let’s not go there))

Isabis is faced with a chest.

  • Jessaila starts singing a song about shepherdesses – in Woanish.
  • Isabis examines it for locks, traps, holes that would fit a vial, etc « 1d20+13 = 1 + 13 = 14 »
    ISabis is faced with a perfectly normal chest that she just wants to open
  • Isabis tries to open it then
  • Malaina just shakes her head at Jess
    Gas explodes from the trap, and Isabis is also unconcious
    Inside the chest is the hole for the vial
    Malaina: “Oh dear.”
  • Jessaila casts Drench on Isabis.
    Jessaila: “Hey Sunshine Princess, wakey-wakey!”

Malaina: “Jess!”

Isabis: ((does that wake me up? ))

Thurirl: “No worries, Vari. It is only logical that, whether I succeed or fail, we shall all be allowed to leave, some a bit worse than others.”

Malaina: “I swear, it’s like all your barriers just come down and you become a wild child! I’m banging a pot to wake you up when you eventually fall asleep!”

DM: ((nope))

Jessaila: “Aw.”

  • Isabis mumbles something in her sleep
  • Thurirl picks up the final vial and regards it.
  • Jessaila casts Breeze to dry Isabis off.
    DM: burgandy colored

Thurirl: ((No, that was the liquor. =P))

DM: opps

Jessaila: ((I drank that one.))

Thurirl: ((Jess can vouch for that.))

Malaina: ((Thurirl drunk….that would be interesting to watch))

DM: orange then

Thurirl consumes the last vial, and he is under the effects of a slow acting knockout poison. He had best act fast.

  • Jessaila shouts out “I love you all, you know. Not in the creepy way, though. HIC!
  • Thurirl recognizes the effect, actually. He moves through the barrier quickly.
  • Malaina is so banging a pot over her head to wake her up
    Moving through the doorway, he encounters bookshelves. On the table in the middle is a sketch of an unknown monster. “So your party needs to know how to deal with this creature. You might try to help them.”
  • Thurirl begins to wonder if it was wise choosing this potion… but he forges on and does his best to figure out what the monster is.
    DM: ((invesigate would be logical))

DM: *Investigate

  • Thurirl investigates the books for answers. « 1d20+7 = 2 + 7 = 9 »
    Thurirl finds out nothing
    The poison is acting on him, but he still has time
  • Thurirl redoubles his efforts, trying to slog through despite the oncoming sleep. « 1d20+7 = 4 + 7 = 11 »
    Sleep doesn’t make Thurirl very useful
    He is about halfway under the effects of the poison
    Thurirl: ((it does when he’s gotten it; not when it’s over-taking him))
  • Thurirl yawns and keeps looking, trying to keep his eyes open. « 1d20+7 = 3 + 7 = 10 »
    DM: Thurirl is almost unconscious, but not quite yet. Unfortunately, he needs to be very lucky to collect all the information he needs

Thurirl: ((this is all because I didn’t make the daily sacrifice, isn’t it?))

DM: Critically lucky, one might say

  • Thurirl makes one last effort, desperate to find the answer! « 1d20+7 = 7 + 7 = 14 »
    DM: going for the hail mary?

Thurirl: ((AD: « 1d6 = 4 »)

Thurirl tries to find out information, and is starting to get somewhere, when a book drops from the ceiling, finishing off the work done by the poison

  • Thurirl is outdone by the library’s Book Fu.
    Isabis: (( Isabis wants to inform the voice that in normal conditions, she would have passed off a trap-finding test to someone else even if she DIDN’T have a nerve-deadening skin condition))

DM: The blue sheen goes down, and Vari is able to collect the party. The sunpool back in the other room remains stubbornly red

Seiankornai: (Awww))

You whisper to Malaina: Have Vari put in my vial, since he can see the slot
DM: technically yes. Doesn’t do much though. You will recover going through the sunpool

  • Seiankornai moves out of the somewhat cramped area, and into the main room, “Well, that didn’t go as well as it could have.”
  • Vari goes and collects Mala first, but is instructed to lay Jess on his saddle and then goes to collect everyone else
  • Jessaila is still ridiculously cheerful due to the effects of the liquor.
  • Seiankornai amuses himself before they leave by whispering various song inspirirations into Jess’ ear
    DM: Want to choose next symbol and call it a night?

Jessaila: “Vari, have I ever told you that you’re the best HIC! drake in the whole world? Er, along with Say-a-corny?”

Malaina: “Seian, do NOT encourage her!”

Jessaila: “I just want to give everyone a giant hug!”

  • Thurirl is enjoying a blissful slumber, but will have a headache when he wakes up.
  • Isabis comes to on the other side of the sunpool, looks at the two remaining choices, and says “Oh please not the skull.”
    Seiankornai: “I’m not encouraging her, just directing her.” he says with a grin
  • Vari carrying Isabis, Thurirl and Jess
    Thurirl: ((do the effects disappear on the other side of the pool?))
  • Seiankornai picks up Jamshid
    DM: ((yes.))
  • Malaina glares at Seian to cut it out
    Thurirl: ((except for Jess, right? =P))

DM: leaving you with leprosy seems a little extreme

Thurirl: ((depends on the DM… some people look fondly at the Tomb of Horrors…))

Jessaila: “I had a horse and his name was Dave; we rode all night his apple to save! Oh yes my horse he was very BRAAAAAVE!”

  • Jessaila collapses.
    Seiankornai: “Awww, my music elf broke.”
  • Thurirl wakes up to noisy and off-key singing. He prefers the headache.
  • Vari dumps everyone off his saddle when they are back on the other side of the sunpool
    Seiankornai: “So death or running next?”

DM: ((only sadistic DMs. If I wanted to do that, I have a dungeon in mind. Very tempting actually))

  • Jessaila wakes up an hour later with a headache of her own.
    Isabis: “Not the skull! Er, not next anyway. Well, next resting and making sure everyone’s fully cured.”
  • Malaina bangs the promised pot over her head, “WAKEY WAKEY!”
    Jessaila: “…what.”

Jessaila: “…are you doing that for.”

Malaina: “Because I promised you I would!”

Jessaila: “…when?”

Seiankornai: “When you got drunk and started singing.”

Jessaila: “Oh.”

  • Malaina nods and puts the pot away
  • Jessaila groans and rubs her head.
    Malaina: “I hope you have learned you lesson.”

Jessaila: “I remember we were in the cavern and I ended up with a vial of that insane akdov liquor.”

DM: ((you guys get attached to your characters. I wouldn’t want to kill them all.))

Isabis: “Now, now, her musical inclinations helped us a lot with the tripod village.”

  • Thurirl hopes so too. The pot did not help his head.
    Malaina: “It wasn’t her singing, it is the fact you are so gosh darn greedy with the sweet foods! I’ve told you time and time again to share!”

Thurirl: ((Not that kinda pot! &lt.<;))>

Log 54

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 53

Sunchasers DH Moochi