Log 59

After the surprise sunpool in a sinkhole, you needed a day to get cleaned up – but now you are all rested, clean, and ready to go impress some Dawnbringers
Grok: ((quick, someone make an impress check))

Dragonhawk: ((might want to go to the temple first ))

Thurirl: ((that’d help))

  • Grok carry temple to where we are
    Dragonhawk: (that would make an impression all right…possibly not the one you intend, however)

Seiankornai: ((then again, it might, it all depends on the impression we want to make ))

Grok is disconnected.
Thurirl: ((Grok fall down; go boom))

Thurirl: ((small earthquake))

Seiankornai: ((so what should we do? just walk right up to them and ask?))

HazelighterGuard: ((well, first of all, does anyone want to do anything else first?))

HazelighterGuard: ((If not, then you might start by going to the temple and asking to see the Temple Leader.))

Thurirl: ((…drawing a blank here.))

Grok has connected.
HazelighterGuard: ((WB))

Seiankornai: ((let’s just do that then, and wb Grok))

  • Jessaila would like to scout the temple first.
    HazelighterGuard: ((connection problems?))

Seiankornai: ((scouting works, too; should Thurirl do it?))

HazelighterGuard: ((what does Jessaila want to find out?))

Grok: ((little bit. So i just shut off my bro’s computer, and now it’s working.))

  • Jessaila evaluates the strength of the visible guard force, the entrances and exits to the temple, and other tactical variables that may arise.
    Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 10 + 10 = 20 » Notice
  • Jessaila evaluates the tactical options. « 1d20+10 = 1 + 10 = 11 » Tactics
    Grok: ((anyone want to investigate the new attitude of the Hazers?

Seiankornai: ((talk among the populace, see what their impression is?))

Grok: ((Something like that. Maybe someone knows something))

Seiankornai: ((sure, that would make sense))

Thurirl: ((I can scout the area if someone needs me to.))

Jessaila observes a sizable guard force; naturally it is composed of the famed Hazelighters, the guardians of the Sharos temples and their pilgims.
This main temple has a high wall around a complex campus – besides the temple itself there are assorted living and working areas for the Dawnbringers and Hazelighters inside.
Jessaila can easily determine that getting beyond the main temple take more than just ‘keep walking and act casual’ tactics, though…and now at least one guard knows her face.

  • Grok goes looking for catapults or other siege weapons in the city that he can point in the direction of the temple.
    HazelighterGuard: “And don’t let me catch you wandering around the meditation gardens again! This is private property!”
Jessaila: “Sorry!”

Grok finds out that all the city’s siege (and there’s really not much) is pointed towards the river.

  • Jessaila backs away carefully and returns to the group.
    Jessaila: “Yeah, they’re paying close attention.”
  • HazelighterGuard imagines Jessaila as another dratted ignorant tourist.
    Malaina: “So it wouldn’t be a good idea to try to storm the castle. Why don’t we do like we did last time, ask for a meeting with whoever is in charge and ask?”

Thurirl: “Valuable knowledge. We must find a way to either gain audience with them, or infiltrate the premises while escaping notice.”

Seiankornai: “They seem a bit uptight, so either way is likely to be difficult.”

You whisper to Jessaila: you know that there are a lot of priests in this central temple of the region; the one in charge locally will be called “temple leader” and the one in charge regionally is “Avva’s Voice”
Thurirl: “I submit we try Malaina’s proposal first. They may be reasonable enough to allow some of us entry.”

Jessaila: “There’s going to be a lot of folks in the central temple, since it’s rather their regional headquarters.” Jessaila: “We’d probably want to talk with the temple leader, or the chap called Avva’s Voice.”

Seiankornai: “I’ll agree with Malaina and Thurirl at the moment, let’s just ask them.”

Malaina: “I don’t have to change my cloths again, do I?”

Thurirl: “Perhaps not all of us… I am not sure how they would respond to a Vessa asking entrance. Especially if I am not of the faith.”

Seiankornai: “Eh, a number of Vessa converted, and I’m sure you’ve noticed the not insignificant population in this city, either.”

Player “Jessaia” is not connected.
You whisper to Jessaila: In your (adopted) hometown, Dawnbringers loved to have Vessa come in, so they could preach at them
Jessaila: “Oh! I know!”

Malaina: “What?”

Thurirl: “Yet if I am not a pilgrim or a practitioner, they will expect me to worship the Dragon Kings. Which I do not.”

Jessaila: “That reminded me!”
  • Thurirl turns to listen to Jessaila.
    Jessaila: “Dawnbringers always loved to have Vessa come in, because they liked to preach at them.”

Thurirl: “…I am suddenly reluctant to hear the details of this plan.”

HazelighterGuard: (LOL)

  • Grok sees about the possibility of pointing siege weapons in the other direction, or perhaps borrowing some for a short time.
  • Seiankornai laughs loudly
    Jessaila: “Oh. I see you caught the gist of my plan already.”
Malaina: “It was kind of easy to see where you are going with it Jess.” Jessaila: “But why don’t we go speak to them anyway – I don’t think Thurirl’s Vessaness will be a problem.”

The folk who oversee the city’s defenses feel strongly about allowing people to move them. They don’t all speak Woanish; Grok manages to learn Melios for “no” by sheer weight of repitition

  • Thurirl has a blank look on his face. He’s not sure he can stand listening to someone preach at him for hours. Again.
  • Isabis caughts to supress laughter, and promises “Don’t worry Thurirl, if they look like taking all day we’ll rescue you.”
  • Jessaila buys some earplugs at the market for Thurirl.
  • Seiankornai translates Jessaila’s idea for Grok so he understands
    Thurirl: “Please do. Long-winded sermons declaring how every action in my life has led to this moment of ‘my salvation’ are very nerve-wracking.”
Isabis: “Sadly, I understand all too well.” Isabis: “Lectures on the dangers of heretical thinking are even worse.”

Thurirl: “Indeed. I hope they have forgotten my off-hand comments from the last time. The acolyte was not pleased with my logical deconstruction of his faith.”

  • Grok goes away, disappointed that he can’t play with their toys, and rejoins the others.
    The group returns to the front gates, earplugs in hand.
    Hazelighters, unarmed or bearing long staves, stand at the entrances to the main courtyards. The way into the main temple is clear, however.
    It looks like the noon prayers will begin in about an hour; there are people about, but it’s not terribly busy.
    Grok: ((So do we have any idea where the scroll is, or are we just going to ransack until we get find it?))

Seiankornai: “Hmmm, wonder if any of the priests would be interested in discussing the difference and relations of the Dragon Kings and their Eyes of Heaven.”

Isabis: ((you don’t know where it is; you only know that the Dawnbringers are its official guardians, and this is their headquarters))
  • Thurirl continues to wear a blank face, but he’s having trouble disguising his body language. He doesn’t really feel comfortable being here.
  • Seiankornai relaxes in an available public space near/in the temple grounds when we get there
  • Malaina is sent to hang around with Seian, even though he doesn’t look all that happy at leaving Mala in a place he doesn’t know
  • Isabis unconsciously sidles closer to Thurirl as they walk
    Isabis: ((You mean Vari is? Also, why aren’t you coming in? This place is big enough for the Erron, it’s big enough for you.))
Malaina: ((Yes, meant Vari, thought I clicked his token))
  • HazelighterGuard helpfully points out the sundial that tells time to service, when you all pause uncertainly in the courtyard
  • Seiankornai sees fewer spots for a drake to set himself down, as opposed to plenty of patches of bare earth for the rootwalkers, but he settles himself and listens to the priests
    The drakes can fit anywhere in the temple, though they do take up two Erron “seats” in the sanctuary
  • Jessaila keeps an eye out for Really Important People.
    Grok: W “Bring Grok scroll.” Grok tells the guard
Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 13 + 10 = 23 » Notice
  • Isabis sketches the interesting variations on the sundial displayed in the courtyard
  • Thurirl does his best to insert the earplugs without notice.
    Grok is disconnected.
    As service time approaches, you begin to see a lot of Dawnbringers; accolytes in three species walk purposefully around the back of the sanctuary, and you catch gimpses of someone in more complex raiment in the robing room as they bustle in and out of it.
    Grok has connected.
    You whisper to Grok: As service time approaches, you begin to see a lot of Dawnbringers; accolytes in three species walk purposefully around the back of the sanctuary, and you catch gimpses of someone in more complex raiment in the robing room as they bustle in and out of it.
  • Grok goes up to other Dawnbringers. W “Bring Grok scroll.”
    Seiankornai: W “I don’t think they can understand you, Grok.”

Accolyte: *M" “Er, can I help you with something?”

Grok: W “Tell them if they bring Grok scroll, he no beat them all up.”

  • Accolyte edges away from Grok
    Jessaila: “He requests a scroll.”
  • Jessaila translates helpfully.
  • Accolyte blinks bemusedly at Jessaila.
    Accolyte: “Um…OK. What language is that?”

Seiankornai: “Woanish.”

  • Accolyte shrugs
  • Thurirl is blissfully unaware of the exchange, earplugs in and eyes closed. He looks like he’s meditating.
    Seiankornai: “It’s a rather specific scroll, though, could we arrange to talk with the high priest?”

Accolyte: “OK” vidoss, loudly, to someone out of sight “Hey, do we have those give-away copies of Scroll of the Skies in Woanish?”

Seiankornai: W “They’re seeing about getting you a scroll, Grok.”

  • Accolyte didn’t hear Seian, or didn’t realize that was directed at him, as he joggs out a side-door of the sanctuary
  • Malaina looks around to see if there is anyone important they can talk to about the scroll they are looking for
    ErronAccolyte: “Pardon, but did I hear you asking to speak to a priest? I think Bren missed the question.”

Seiankornai: “I did, yes.”

ErronAccolyte: “Service will be starting in less than 10 minutes, so we are all rather busy now, but I would be pleased to arrange a meeting with someone after service is over. Shall I tell them you wish to discuss the larger Scrolls?”

  • AccolyteBren comes back at a job, and hands a scroll to Grok with an abbreviated bow.
  • AccolyteBren says “May Avva enlighten your reading of it sir,” all in one breath and joggs off to whatever task you interrupted
  • Grok gives scroll to Jess. W “Grok got it.”
    Seiankornai: ((what does he mean by “the larger Scrolls”? is that something Sharos specific and not the fragment that we’re after?))

Seiankornai: “I’m not sure what exactly you call it, Jessaila, do you know?”

Jessaila: “The scroll Grok received was an abbreviated version; the larger Scrolls is the entire holy book.”

Seiankornai: “Ah, then that’s not exactly the scrolls we wish to discuss about, but another.”

The Scroll of the Skies is basically a star map and tract; it happens to be worth +1 to navigation checks that involve determining the position of the sun and/or starts
Grok: ((Grok’s willing to threaten to burn the larger scrolls unless we see the scroll we are after, btw.))

Seiankornai: ((of course he is, fortunately they don’t understand his threats ))

Seiankornai: “You can go ahead and read it, Grok.”

Grok: W “Grok don’t know how to read. That why he keep you all around.”

You whisper to Grok: It’s all about the greatness of the various wardens of the stellar bodies (and how to find them in their circuits)

  • Grok admire pretty pictures
    Seiankornai: W “Really? But there are so many puzzles and riddles in the written word. You really should learn how.”

You whisper to Grok: OK, in that case it’s a lot of pictures of humanoids in improbable clothing, apparently walking around on circles against a black background

  • Thurirl is still unaware of the events unfolding. He is contemplating how to get the acolytes to leave him alone forever. It is requiring considerable thought.
    Service starts when the sun is shining directly downward through the skylight. Familiar to the locals and sort of grandly formal, the praises of the sun are sung literally and figuratively.
    Malaina: ((What do we need to roll to find someone to talk to about getting a copy of the scroll?))

Seiankornai: ((I think we need to wait through the service first, then they’ll be less busy))

Grok: ((It might be best to wait until service is over. Or, while service is on, we might have a chance to sneak in and grab it while all at service))

Seiankornai: ((that’s assuming it’s stored here; it may not be))

The upside is, you can see all the dawnbringers in the temple complex right here in one place, and none of them are paying any especial attention to you yet. The downside is, you’re still getting lectured
Jessaila: ((I think we should wait.))

Seiankornai: ((who looks to be the most important?))

The highest status priests are off to the left of center; presumably Avva’s Voice and his immediate assistants, though you are going strictly on complexity of garments here. The Temple Leader is the one giving the homily, such as it is

  • Seiankornai nudges Mala, “I think you’ll want to put all your charm and wits on those ones, over there.”
  • Thurirl opens his eyes at the sudden noise, and finds exactly what he expected: people singing praises to the bright thing in the sky.
    Malaina: “Why can’t any of you speak to them?”
  • Thurirl is reminded of an acolyte who dared to call him “primitive” to his face… that was a fun discussion.
    ErronAccolyte: When the angle of the light changes enough for the bars of light in the ceiling cutout to slide off of their matching tiled pattern on the floor, the service ends on a prayer and everyone starts drifing out to their afternoon activities.

Seiankornai: “You’re the one with the easy way with talking to people and being so charming.”

  • Thurirl stands up and removes his earplugs. “So, other than the long-wiinn…. uh… long-standing praises to the sun… what did I miss?”
    Isabis: “So far, just some confusion about what scroll we wanted. Grok got a free star chart.”

Seiankornai: ((Mala is, afterall, a Charismatic Human ))

Seiankornai: ((and she’s got the highest impress bonus))

Isabis: ((which means that she is, however ironically, the best at convincing people that we are VIPs))
  • Malaina refuses to wear a dress again
  • Seiankornai is fine with that
    The Erron accolyte who spoke to you before is talking to the VIPriest group; the leader nods, says something to one of the others, and departs. The other follows the accolyte over to you.
    Seiankornai: “OH, looks like they’re coming.”
  • Thurirl tries not to look important.
    Seiankornai: ((easy for him to do, just by not looking as if he’s there))

Bataro_Hideheart: “Greetings in the light of Avva. I am Battaro Hideheart. Wideleaf here tells me you are looking for something obscure among the greater Scrolls?”

  • Seiankornai nudges one of the women
    Jessaila: ((Don’t nudge me, I’ve got an abysmall impress score even if I am an elf!))
  • Battaro_Hideheart looks from one to another, trying to figure out who the spokesman for this odd group is
    Jessaila: ((Um…))

You whisper to Thurirl: blend check please, no racial penalty here
Thurirl: ((I dunno if Malaina is here…))

Malaina: ((I am ehre))
  • Malaina sighs and steps up
    Battaro’s notice « 1d20+6 = 6 + 6 = 12 »
    You whisper to Thurirl: DC 12
  • Thurirl tries to blend into the background: Blend « 1d20+4 = 10 + 4 = 14 »
    Jessaila: ((I’ll get more Impress points with my next level-up, but that doesn’t help us now.))
  • Malaina introduces herself and her group, explaining that they are sunchasers and the mission they have been given to complete
  • Battaro_Hideheart glances at Thurirl, then becomes distracted with introductions
  • Thurirl tries not to sigh in an obvious and noticeable manner.
    Battaro_Hideheart: “Ah, an obscure scroll indeed, though not among the Greater Scrolls. Surprisingly, it has been drawing considerable interest these days. As the keeper of the archives, I have the honor to tell all inquirers that the scroll was divided and hidden for a reason, and may not simply be copied out to whomever asks.”

Seiankornai: “What is the reason?”

Battaro_Hideheart: “As I understand it, Snowblade considered the knowledge dangerous in the wrong hands. Have you seen the Matha fragment? It is the Matha that are trying to assemble it, not so?”

  • Battaro_Hideheart looks you all in the eyes.
    Grok: ((he not tall enough to look Grok in the eyes.))

Seiankornai: ((an interesting last name for a priest, Hideheart; what’s hidden about his heart?))

Battaro_Hideheart: “I see you have not. The four fragments are not mere pages, as in a book. The lines of the text cross the full length, so that each line is divided into four parts.”

B. Hideheart suffers an embarassing last name, which to the best of your research so far, does not actually reflect his character
Seiankornai: “We have not seen the Matha’s portion of it, no, as theirs is currently in the possesion of an elder drake.”

He also suffers a famous father, one S. Hideheart, also known as Avva’s Voice. He has heard /all/ possible jokes, amusing and snide, about his name.

  • Battaro_Hideheart snorts
    Battaro_Hideheart: “So they’ve lost their part, and yet they want everyone else to give them ours?”

Battaro_Hideheart: “This is the very reason we require that those whould would gain this knowledge /prove/ themselves worth.”

Battaro_Hideheart: ((er, worthy))

  • Thurirl is wondering what the requirements are, and if he’d pass.
    Jessaila: “Prove their worth?”

Battaro_Hideheart: “Yes. Those who would demonstrate themselves worthy to poses Snowblade’s knowledge must prove the folowing:”

Battaro_Hideheart: "Firstly, that they are of good reputation. Then, that they are strong enough to protect the treasure from the unworthy, and patient enough to persevere through the trials that will result from doing so. That they are skilled enough to handle the treasure safely, and wise enough to use the it well. "

Grok: ((Dibs on the str part))

Battaro_Hideheart: “Sadly, the last two persons sent by the Matha to gain it failed quite rapidly – one by outright refusal of the test of strength, and the other when his character witnesses turned out to be frauds.”

  • Battaro_Hideheart shakes his head
    Battaro_Hideheart: “Understand, also, that it is not enough to have one strong person, one wise person, and one patient person. Either one of you must pass all the tests, or your group must pass them all together.”
Jessaila: “Huh. We didn’t hear about that.”

Grok: W “Grok pass all tests.”

Jessaila: W “It would be better to pass them all together.”

Seiankornai: W “You might have difficulty with the wisdom test, Grok.”

Battaro_Hideheart: “No? And here I’d heard that every traveller from here to the Jungles was telling the tale of the scholar that claims the Hazelighters wanted to beat him up…”

  • Battaro_Hideheart sighs deeply
    Seiankornai: “We did hear that, actually.”
Malaina: ((I am going to use Charming to improve his disposition so he stops acting so morose))

Grok: W “Grok wise ogre. Me do tests.” To Battaro W “When test begin?”

Seiankornai: W “I have no doubt you’re wise for an ogre, Grok.”

Battaro_Hideheart: “To be fair, the scholar himself seems to have actually said something more along the lines of ‘they wanted me to fight the hazelighters, and they just would’ve beaten me up the first minute, so I declined.’ Very unpleasant, though, to be so maligned.”

Battaro_Hideheart: “Er, what /is/ your large friend saying?”

Seiankornai: “Ooooooh, that makes so much more sense.”

Jessaila: “He wants to try to pass all of your trials… solo.”
  • Battaro_Hideheart blinks
  • Jessaila quietly adds “I’m not entirely sure we want him to try solo.”
    Battaro_Hideheart: “Well, you are welcome to attempt it, individually or as a group, or as partial groups if you so prefer.”
  • Seiankornai adds, less quietly, but no less opaquely, “I am entirely sure we don’t want him to try it solo.”
    Battaro_Hideheart: “We do ask that you demonstrate your reputation and strength first, however, as it takes more effort to prepare the other tests.”
Jessaila: “What precisely do you mean by ‘reputation’, just for my clarification?”

Grok: W “All know Grok.” ((Attempting to use heroic rep level to be recognized, DC 20 check with a +2 to it.))

Grok: ((DC 20 knowledge check, that is))

Battaro_Hideheart: “Ah, a fair question. To be clear, we require three witnesses to your good character and general probity. The test of strength consists of a non-lethal combat between the candidate and an equal number of Hazelighters.”

Battaro_Hideheart: ((as in, the NPC should make a knowledge check?))

Thurirl: “It may be wise to attempt the trials in a group, although not with all of us. It should maximize our potential to win while minimizing our chances at failure.”

Grok: ((if translated, yes.))

  • Battaro_Hideheart wonders if he recognizes these people…sunchasers after all… (Grok) « 1d20+10 = 11 + 10 = 21 »
    Thurirl: ((nonlethal? Grok may be disappointed))
Jessaila: “I agree with Thurirl.”

Battaro_Hideheart: ((Grok gets to bash hazelighters unconscious; what’s not to like?))

  • Battaro_Hideheart recognizes Grok as that ogre that has become famous for trying to attract river monsters.
  • Battaro_Hideheart is uncertain if that counts as “good” though.
    Seiankornai: ((hey, at least he’s not famous for raiding villages and eatign people ))

Battaro_Hideheart: ((you may gain character references using the “favors” mechanic))

Grok: ((for an ogre, it’s a sterling rep. no mention of my cannon?"

Jessaila: ((Hum. Goes to look that up.)) Malaina: ((Should I try to roll Impress to see if we can get any more information?))

Grok: ((how much rep for a character reference?))

Thurirl: ((I’ve got 29 left to spend…))

Battaro_Hideheart: ((favors are on 188-189; see especially “support.” Grok: In this island city, the seamonster bit is even more rivetting a tale.))

Seiankornai: ((I would think so, or maybe for a discount on the favors, if that could be allowed?))

Grok: ((Support is actually getting someone to do something for you based on a skill.))

Battaro_Hideheart: ((current TL is 9; you want people to make an impress or diplomacy check on your behalf.))

Seiankornai: ((ahhh))

Seiankornai: ((could Mala do one on her own behalf as well?))

Grok: ((Is 9 enough to succeed?))

Battaro_Hideheart: ((but you may feel free to make a case for other ways of crunchifying the task if you wish))

Battaro_Hideheart: ((the character who is hearing these witnesses rolls 1d20+6))

Grok: ((Grok spend 5 rep for a roll.))

Battaro_Hideheart: ((who are you asking for this reference?))

  • Grok goes and grabs random man on the street who knows him
    Seiankornai: ((why not the handy coincidence of a visiting Pech that Grok knows?))
  • Grok is going to find who knows him, and brings them in.
  • Grok brings in the Ogres who we traveled with then
  • Grok says “Tell them how awesome Grok is.”
  • Grok goes and gets them then.
  • Jessaila wonders if any of her adoptive relatives are in town.
    Seiankornai: “How long do we have to do this?”

Battaro_Hideheart: ((ok, let’s put it this way: if you want to use action dice you may, but they count against your action dice pool for the test of strength))

Battaro_Hideheart: ((you Must track this pool; in the test game, action dice were flowing like water, so to speak))

Grok: ((in that case, Grok is going back to plan A, and finding people on the street who both know him and speak Woanish, and getting them to come and give a good report.))

Malaina: “How long do we have to prepare for these trials?”

Battaro_Hideheart: “As long as you wish.”

  • Battaro_Hideheart seems slightly amused
  • Malaina is glad that depressed look on his face is gone
    Battaro_Hideheart: “The scroll isn’t going anywhwere, after all.”

Seiankornai: “Well, no more than three years, at least.”

Grok: ((Can you be specific when we get action dice reset? I want to make sure I know how many we have.))

Seiankornai: “Kinda pointless after that time.”

Malaina: “Yes, lets not take 3 years to prepare. Perhaps a couple of days?”

Seiankornai: “Well, if they want character references, I’m going to have to write for a couple…”

Battaro_Hideheart: ((Yes, I’ll tell you when they reset. Normally it’s per session, but since we take so long to do things I’m breaking it more by scene or pair of related scenes…in this case, it’ll be after the test of strength and before the third test))

Grok: ((Cool, thanks.))

Jessaila: ((What can I get for more than one AD?))

Seiankornai: “I suppose you’ll want to verify that we send letters to the actual people of importance that I write to. Probably best for you to send the letters then, to be sure.”

Grok: ((Does this city have an embassy or some type from Isabis’s home? As royality, she should be able to get a vouch that way.))

Malaina: “How long does it take for the letters to get to where you send them?”

Battaro_Hideheart: ((for one action die, you can get a dubious reference – someone who has heard of you before as Sunchasers. For two action dice, you discover that someone who you have actually helped in the past, or who really truly knows you, is in town at the moment; they provide a strong reference.))

Battaro_Hideheart: ((If you actually have a contact on your sheet as a “prize” then you can call on them for free, no AD required.))

  • Thurirl decides to send a letter to the dwarves. Better than trying to get one to his family.
    Thurirl: ((right… that’s my next goal…))
Jessaila: ((I’ll use two action die to come up with a good reference.))
  • Grok spends 2 action dice to get one of the crew of the ship we fought the river king on.))
  • Jessaila finds the great elven harper Berrathion, who knows of the party.
  • Battaro_Hideheart listens to the captain of the ship, and concludes that while they think Grok is nuts, they agree that the group as a whole are nice people and honorable sunchasers. He notes that the captain also verifies your contact with the Riddlemasters.
    Grok: ((Should we choose our group now of who’s taking part, or are we all going to do it?))

Battaro records one character witness for the group.
Seiankornai: ((non-lethal stuff, right?))

Thurirl: ((yeah))

Seiankornai: ((makes it a bit more difficult for me to take the test then, I’m too dangerous ))

Seiankornai: ((actually, wait, I can use wing buffets, and that’s subdual damage))

The captain of the local Hazelighter contingent stops you after the boatmen leaves to ask if you want them to make “pads” for your weapons for the test of strength. It turns out they are willing to let you use your own weapons for the test, if you allow them to put blunt covers over the blades and so forth.
Seiankornai: ((oh, do they have drake sized boxing mitts and mouth guards? ))

  • Thurirl consents to this, though he inquires if their opponents will quit the fight due to “slit” throats.
  • Jessaila asks if there are any padded fencing blades she could evaluate; if not, then she will use a padded saber.
  • Grok gets them to pad his cannon
  • Malaina doesn’t mind if they pad her weapons
    Seiankornai: ((sheepskin with paint?))

Seiankornai: ((*waterskin))

Seiankornai: ((paintballl cannon!))

Grok: ((Works for me))

  • HazelighterCaptain manages to keep a straight face while you order “Subdual dentures, 2” and “nonlethal cannon shot, 10 rounds” along with more ordinary blunts for fencing blades (a wooden ball on the point) and hand claws and such like.
    HazelighterCaptain: ((bag of birdseed I should think. Canvas or leather. Something that’ll thump the opponent good but not kill them outright.))
  • Seiankornai writes a letter to his mentor, one of the higher ranking drake priests, requesting a character reference.
  • HazelighterCaptain informs Thurirl that the fight is not that fake; you actually have to render your opponents unable to continue battle.
    HazelighterCaptain: “We just require it to be done in such a way that they can get back up the next day, eh?”
  • HazelighterCaptain eyes the drake-dentures nervously
    HazelighterCaptain: “You too, of course.”

Malaina: “If you want to instruct me how to put them in, I will handle that part for you.”

Seiankornai: “Of course. But I’ll need some assistance putting them on.”

Malaina: “That is what I am offering Seian.”

Seiankornai: “Ah, thank you.”

  • Isabis fills a quiver with “bird” arrows, and asks what the terrain will be like.
    HazelighterCaptain: "Oh, it’s an arena. Flat and open, except in the corners, where there’s a bit of a rise for getting in and out, and for throwing and shooting.

HazelighterCaptain: “The test of strength isn’t really about woodsmanship, you know.”

Your learn from the Hazelighters that most of these tests are closely related to tests their own people take before moving up in rank or duty.

  • Thurirl gets some “bird” arrows as well, along with some blunt covers for his sword and knives. He turns down any coverings for his claws and teeth. If suggested he might use them on accident, he looks offended.
  • HazelighterCaptain laughs and tells the Guard insulting Thurirl that he can leave it along or wear padded gloves to the test. The junior Hazelighter turns very red and immediately clams up.
    HazelighterCaptain: ((leave it alone, even))

Seiankornai: “Thooth howth Hoo I Hookth?”

  • Malaina has her Halbred, Katana, Rostislasi and Chakrams padded, figuring her Bolas would be fine
  • Thurirl gives Seian a rather bemused look.
  • Vari looks indignant at having his teeth padded up, finding it hard to close his mouth
    HazelighterCaptain: (aside to Thurirl) “Pulling our punches is one of the first skills we teach.”

Malaina: “Oh don’t make that face, you will get them taken off after the fight.”

HazelighterCaptain: (thoughtfully) “Well, after we teach them how to punch hard enough to need it, anyway.”

Grok: “Who we fighting?”

  • Vessa Accolyte grins at Vari and puts in a smaller version
    Seiankornai: “Cahn I geth a haith ho ceanth the hrool?”

Thurirl: “Indeed. It is the second lesson in violence: Learning how to do only enough for the task at hand. The first is knowing how and that you are capable of it.”

  • Vari does not like that grin, does not like it at all, snapping his tail back and forth
  • Jessaila is more familiar with Grok’s Rules of Violence.
    Vessa Accolyte: “THsee? It’th no’ tho bad. Taketh fo’eve’ to lear’ to talk aroun’ em though.”

Seiankornai: ((Seian said “So how do I look.” and “Can I get a maid to clean the drool?”))

  • Vessa Accolyte spits the thing back out
    VessaHazelighter: “Yeah, and now that you’ve demonstrated, you can go wash your drool out of MY mouthpiece, youngling.”

Vessa Accolyte: “Eep. Yessir.”

Jessaila: ((I laf!))
  • Vessa Accolyte runs off to clean the device
    Vessa Accolyte: “Accolytes…Avva love them, they get into EVERYTHING around here.”

VessaHazelighter: “Accolytes…Avva love them, they get into EVERYTHING around here.”

Seiankornai: “Tho Hen Ho ee Tharth?”

Grok 1: Grok acts quickly, with a roll of « 1d20+9 = 14 + 9 = 23 »
  • Grok pulls out his piece of chalk, erases the line in front of him, and draws it up next to the foe
    Malaina 1: « 1d20+10 = 10 + 10 = 20 » Malaina and Vari’s Initiative

Seiankornai: Init « 1d20+7 = 6 + 7 = 13 »

  • Jessaila 1 springs into action. « 1d20+13 = 5 + 13 = 18 » Initiative.
  • Dawnbringer Referee points out the lines carved into the walls of the arena and makes Grok redraw his line to match them.
  • Grok grumbles, but complies
    Thurirl 1: Initiative: « 1d20+8 = 13 + 8 = 21 »
  • Grok also considers throwing a rock at the ref for spoiling his plan
    Dawnbringer Referee: Isabis « 1d20+7 = 6 + 7 = 13 » Guards « 1d20+6 = 14 + 6 = 20 » scouts « 1d20+7 = 14 + 7 = 21 » captains « 1d20+11 = 8 + 11 = 19 »

Seiankornai: Jamshid « 1d20+6 = 20 + 6 = 26 »

The referee shouts “begin”
Grok: Grok smashes the foe down with brute strength! « 1d20+13 = 9 + 13 = 22 » for « 1d4+10 = 4 + 10 = 14 » damage

Grok: ((vs captain)) Grok: Grok smashes the foe down with brute strength! « 1d20+13 = 8 + 13 = 21 » for « 1d4+10 = 2 + 10 = 12 » damage

Dawnbringer Referee: miss

Dawnbringer Referee: and miss again

Seiankornai: “Hath oo e’er oughth a thrake an’ ohre hohegar?”

Jamshid par-Bahadur has received initiative.
Grok has received initiative.

  • Grok is surprised the captain moves
    Thurirl 1 has received initiative.
  • HazeCaptain sways aside like a leaf
    HazeCaptain: ((they are special characters, in fact. They will be fair game as contacts after this, though they’d be expensife for that ))
  • Thurirl heads for a more tactical advantage with one of the corners, joining Isabis as he takes out his bow.
  • Thurirl takes out an arrow and aims for one of the scouts.
    HazeCaptain: ((being at least halfway up the “hill” sections gives you line of sight to the rest of the field))

Thurirl takes a stance
Thurirl: ((he also takes a stand, but that’s beside the point))

  • HazeScout 144 climbs the nearest hill and throws bolas at Grok, hitting « 1d20+11 = 11 + 11 = 22 » for possible « 1d6 = 4 »
  • HazeScout 780 makes and unarmed attack agains Grok, now that he is flanked, hitting « 1d20+12 = 8 + 12 = 20 » for possible subdual « 1d4+4+3 = 3 + 4 + 3 = 10 »
  • HazeScout 491 makes and unarmed attack agains Grok, now that he is flanked, hitting « 1d20+12 = 8 + 12 = 20 » for possible subdual « 1d4+4+3 = 1 + 4 + 3 = 8 »
    HazeScout: all miss

Malaina 1 has received initiative.
Malaina 1: « 1d20+10 = 7 + 10 = 17 » Bola; Cavalry, Trip, 19-20 Threat (17-20 for Favored Foes) @ HazelScout 780

HazeScout: miss

Malaina: ((done))

Malaina is disconnected.

  • Seiankornai is all fired up and no-one to burn
    Unresolved value “which”.
  • HazeScout 325 slings a bag of seed at Malaina hitting « 1d20+10 = 1 + 10 = 11 » for possible « 1d4 = 4 » subdual
    Unresolved value “target”.
  • HazeScout Guard
  • HazeGuard 555 slings a bag of seed at Malaina hitting « 1d20+10 = 8 + 10 = 18 » for possible « 1d4 = 2 » subdual
  • HazeGuard 922 slings a bag of seed at Seian hitting « 1d20+10 = 2 + 10 = 12 » for possible « 1d4 = 2 » subdual
  • HazeGuard 981 slings a bag of seed at Thurirl hitting « 1d20+10 = 11 + 10 = 21 » for possible « 1d4 = 1 » subdual
  • HazeCaptain beats on Grok, hitting 34 for possible 9 subdual, 29 for possible 12 subdual,, 26 for possible 12 subdual,
    Grok: Grok endures! « 1d20+9 = 16 + 9 = 25 »
Grok: Grok endures! « 1d20+9 = 13 + 9 = 22 » Grok: Grok endures! « 1d20+9 = 20 + 9 = 29 »
  • HazeCaptain 717 beats on Grok, hitting 15 for possible 11 subdual, 17 for possible 86 subdual,
    Seiankornai 1 has received initiative.
  • Seiankornai chomps down on the captain
    Bite hits « 1d20+12+2 = 7 + 12 + 2 = 21 » for « 1d20+8 = 6 + 8 = 14 » subdual damage, AP 1, threat 15
    Seiankornai: « 1d6 = 1 » AD boost

Isabis has received initiative.

  • Isabis shoots her foe, hitting « 1d20+6 = 4 + 6 = 10 »
  • Isabis shoots her foe, hitting « 1d20+6 = 13 + 6 = 19 »
  • Isabis wastes two bird arrows
    Grok is disconnected.
    Game Saved
    Log Saved

Log 59

Sunchasers DH Moochi