Log 69

Main Page
Logs Index

Log 68

When last we saw our heroes, they were dispersing from the Path of Wisdom (and the municiple courtrooms).

Jessaila tracks down the apprentice to place a last-minute comission; Seiankornai FLIES AWAY after being stuck indoors for most of a week; Thurirl makes a sneakiness exercise of examining the kodo breeder’s boldly-marked wares without getting their attention.
Seiankornai: ((Seian and Vari, you mean? ))

  • Kodo1 flicks a tongue out but can’t seem to put an eye on the new smell
    Kodo1: ((Malaina hasn’t told me what Vari’s doing ))
    Seiankornai: ((Ah))
  • Kodo1 hisses in annoyance at the invisible scent-maker
  • Jessaila sees if her commission can be completed before the apprentice leaves.
  • Grok goes shopping
  • Thurirl makes a note to work on hiding his scent as well.
    Apprentice: “Oh, I don’t think so ma’am – but I can mail it back to you in, say, a week?”
    Jessaila: “I can handle that.”
  • Kodo1 tries to convince his trainer to let him go hunt the invisible scent, but is ordered to heel instead and reluctantly departs for home.
  • Vari goes flying with Mala, glad to stretching his wings
    Kodo1: “Hss. Ssssss.”
  • Apprentice grins hugely and makes a production of writing out a standard contract of comission under his master’s eye.
  • Apprentice Father
  • Apprentice humphs and fidgets impatiently.
  • Apprentice ’s father humphs and fidgets impatiently.
  • Isabis reads a book on “Rituals of the Hazelighters”
  • Jessaila pays the apprentice slightly extra due to the father’s humphing.
  • Apprentice is Extra Professional, except for grinning like a loon
  • Master slips a padded mailing envelope into the apprentice’s luggage while the father isn’t looking
    Seiankornai: ((what’s next on the schedule for our test?))
    Jessaila: “Thank you very much. I hope to see more of your work in the future.”
    You have been given the night off from testing, with instructions to appear at the main temple at first light tomorrow.
    Dawnbringers do love their dawn and dusk ceremonies
    Grok: ((when do they have time to sleep?))
  • Thurirl is happy to occupy himself before finding a safe place to sleep until the morning. Or pre-morning, it would seem.
    Master: ((when it’s dark, obviously))
    Grok: ((it’s dark at both dusk and dawn))
    Master: ((except for the ones on star-watch, but they get special exception))
  • Jessaila is ready.
  • Seiankornai sleeps well through the night after a good long flight
    Fortunately, being winter, the nights are a bit longer these days.
    Master: ((midsummer, the place is practically uninhabitable to rational beings between the steaming heat and the crazy priests making noise at insensible hours of the day ))
    Master: ((Isabis for one doesn’t know how Jessaila ever did it ))
  • Isabis reads over the breakfast table
    Jessaila: ((It involves daily swimming and wearing of clothes not made of fur.))
    Isabis: ((Hehe. Yeah, and probalby mid-day siestas too))
    Isabis: “Ooh, I bet this is it…”
    Malaina: “Hmmm?”
    The hour drawing close, you all muddle each other out the door of the inn and get on the road to the temple
  • Isabis walks behind Seian, where the path is always clear, and keeps reading
  • Jessaila does confide in Isabis that she doesn’t like the heat all that much any more.
  • Thurirl keeps to the rear, though not far apart from the others. The crowds might think there’s empty space behind the group.
    Isabis: “This book talks about the test they’re giving us – its a variation on the test they give their own people when they go up a grade in rank.”
    Grok: ((so does that mean we get a rank in hazelighter?))
  • Seiankornai ‘s sweeping tail helps keep people from pressing in behind
    Isabis: “Test of combat against hazelighters of rank desired, Path of Wisdom, and Path of the Innocent.”
    Seiankornai: ((a rank of renown in an appropriate category? could make for a decent Instant Reward))
    Malaina: “Path of the Innocent?”
    Seiankornai: “The judging? Or was that part of Wisdom?”
    Grok: ((hmm, depending on how they define innocent, this could be rather interesting…))
    Isabis: "Mhmm. No, the judging thing was part of Wisdom. Innocent is a guarding task, you know protecting the innocent and succoring travelers and all that. Care to bet that’s what they assign us to next?"
    Malaina: “I wouldn’t take that bet.”
    Isabis: “Apparently this guarding and guiding pilgrims thing is a biggish part of what hazelighters do.”
    Jessaila: “Very true.”
    Thurirl: “A test of guarding the innocent on their way.”
  • Thurirl wonders if that includes eliminating the threats before they find the travellers…
    Isabis: “Yeah. Most common version is a walk through the swamp with a bunch of Dawnbringers doing /their/ rank tests.”
    Seiankornai: “Ahhh.”
    Jessaila: “Although the one time I did anything pilgrim-ish, the Hazelighter who was supposed to guard us needed a bit of help.”
    Dragonhawk: “Oh?”
  • Jessaila chuckles. “Yes.”
    Malaina: “Hehe, that sounds a bit embarrassing.”
    Jessaila: “He overturned the boat while trying to open a jar of marmelade and nearly drowned and got eaten before we pulled him out.”
  • Isabis snerks
    Malaina: “Oh…my…”
    Isabis: “Someone should’ve spent more time on the balance beams, hehe.”
    Jessaila: “Fortunately no one but the water snake was hurt.”
    You arrive at the temple and are duly Noticed.
    Malaina: “Well, lesson learned, never try to open jars on a boat.”
  • Thurirl still doesn’t feel comfortable in the temple.
    Accolyte: “You are to meet with the council of masters right after service. That hallway, second door on the right.”
  • Seiankornai nods and follows the way
  • Malaina asks Thurirl if he is ok
  • Thurirl follows the drake, hoping they can get this over with.
    Thurirl: “I am adequate, Malaina. Thank you for your concern.”
  • Thurirl tries not to be too cold to her… he’s just… uncomfortable.
    Isabis: (very quietly) “I wonder if we’d have lost points or something if we’d just come after service in the first place?”
    Thurirl: ((probably waiting for some acolyte to pop out and being proselytizing at him =P))
  • Grok wanders into the door now
    Thurirl: ((should’ve opened it first))
    You suffer through the Dawnbreak service again. It’s no more annoying for the non-Avva-worshipers than last time.
    A young erron stands next to Grok and keeps looking at him. Either he’s wondering how anyone converted an Ogre (his mistake) or Grok’s just making him feel like a twig…
  • Jessaila has been through enough of these services to be just fine in them.
  • Grok takes a nap in the room during the service
    Afterwards, most of you head for the council room with notable promptness
  • Thurirl tries to look either observant or at least not stand out enough to cause offense… or worse, someone testifying to him.
  • Isabis stops to prod Grok awake
  • Grok rolls over and wakes up. “Time of meeting?”
    Isabis: “I really have to learn woanish one of these days.”
  • Isabis gestures to the doors
    Seiankornai: “Soon, Grok.”
    Grok: “Time for more sleep?”
  • Isabis gets moving before someone tries to get her talking about Avva worship.
    You discover that the second door on the right is the Peon entrance to a Grand Chamber.
  • Thurirl looks around to see if anyone is there, or where they might come from.
  • Seiankornai thinks that’s silly, most of us aren’t Peons
    The room features a large dome with many narrow openings in the dome for the sun-clock and general lighting, and an arc of raised stone desk-seats accessible by a door at the back, and a recessed circle of floor from which people (like you!) can stand and look way up at the council.
  • Grok looks for biggest chair in the place, and claims it
    Thurirl: “They are adept at the psychological advantages of position and presentation.”
    You’d guess this was designed to make human Dawnbringers look impressive to wild erron troublemakers.
    Thurirl: ((I just said that =P))
    You whisper to Grok: Did you intend to claim that Grok is climbing the walls of the raised arc? Even if said chair is occupied? There are no chairs in the lower circle.
    Councilor: ((true. post overlap ))
  • Seiankornai sits up straight as he can with his head held high on his long neck. (Possibly being able to look down on them? )
  • Grok looks up at the seats up there, climbs up and takes one
  • Thurirl doesn’t care about being looked down upon. He’s used to it with the drakes and the ogre.
    Councilor: (level if he stretches a bit. Humans in the circle may get neck cramps. Very annoying place that way)
    Thurirl: “…Grok, I don’t believe that seat was meant for you.”
    The chairs are all occupied by old-looking people. The one Grok is now accosting is a dawnbringer priest with lots of heavy embroidery on his stole.
    Councilor: “what…what…In all my…never…”
  • Councilor sputters
    Malaina: “…Well, this is going off to a great start already…”
    Seiankornai: “Grok, no! That’s their seats, we’re over here!”
  • Jessaila facepalms.
  • MasterScholar chuckles
    Grok: W “Where my seat?”
  • Thurirl reconsiders admitting that he knows the ogre.
    Seiankornai: “Next to me.”
    MasterScholar: “I told you he was resourceful. If you don’t give him a resource, expect him to get it some other way, I said.”
  • Grok looks at Seiankornai. “that seat not high enough.”
    Councilor: “GET HIM DOWN FROM HERE!”
    Malaina: “Seian, we are supposed to pass this test, not get kicked out, get him down!”
    Seiankornai: “That’s the point. Now COME
    Seiankornai: “I’m trying.”
    Thurirl: mutters “We are going to be lectured for hours on the proper conduct of Hazelighter acolytes…”
    You whisper to Grok: The councilor makes lots of loud not-woanish noise
  • Grok examines if the seat is removable. If so, he carries it down. If not, he leaves it there and jumps down. And if he can pull up the seat, it’s removeable.
    The chairs appear to be carved out of the stones they are attached to.
  • Grok grumbles but descends down
    Isabis: (like someone took a stone block 4’ on a side and carved a chair out of the upper 3’ but left the bottom for a platform, then they set that stone into the floor.)
  • Thurirl resolves to “disappear” if at any point it looks like someone might try to make them into permanent acolytes. He can’t imagine a worse punishment right now.
  • Isabis whispers to Seian “Tell him those chairs are only for people who admit Avva is more important than Grok. I bet that’ll …actually, nevermind, he’d probably do something worse.”
    Grok: ((Too bad he doesn’t have more time, or he’s remove the seat from the rock and move it down.))
    Seiankornai: W “Those seats are for the priests of Avva. Are you a priest of Avva, Grok?”
    Grok’s stunt does have the ‘benefit’ of making it obvious where the various council members stand on you-all. Some of them look thoroughly disgusted, some sort of thoughtfully amused, some purely distressed.
    Malaina: “I swear Seian, if we fail this, I am blaming you.”
    Among them are the Master-Scholar and the Lead Judge from the Path of Wisdom, and the Hazelighter Captain from the test of Strength.
  • Thurirl would blame the ogre, but is fine if the drake priest shares in it.
    Grok: ((I love that Seian gets blamed for Grok’s actions.))
    Councillor: “a-HEM. Harumph. AS we were saying.”
  • Councillor pauses in a sort of “I can’t believe I have to say this” sort of way, and the Master Scholar interrupts.
    Seiankornai: ((Seian is less thrilled about it when he’s wanting to be serious and had no part in causing said actions ))
    MasterScholar: “Congratulations, sunchasers of the Piercers of Darkness. You have passed the test of the Path of Wisdom. Notwithstanding certain objections regarding the firing of seige-weaponry in confined spaces, you did surprisingly well.”
    Jessaila: ((AFK))
    Grok: ((Show me in the rules where you can’t fire siege weapons anywhere you want.))
    MasterScholar: ((well they can’t, that’s why the people making the objections couldn’t fail you ))
    Jessaila: ((Back.))
    MasterScholar: “Also notwithstanding the firing of siege weaponry indoors, the repair bill is actually less than for the usual group, since walls turn out to be cheaper, if not precisely easier, to repair than complex blade mechanisms.”
    MasterScholar: “The masons guild thanks you for our business.”
  • Seiankornai makes a polite draconic bow
  • Councillor “harumphs” again
  • Jessaila evaluates Mister Harumph.
  • Jessaila tries to find the truth and motives of the issue. « 1d20+3 = 19 + 3 = 22 » (Sense Motive)
    Jessaila: ((Woohoo!))
  • Thurirl wonders if perhaps he should have helped them haggle the price lower. He still remembers his estimate for the damage.
    You whisper to Jessaila: The head councillor Just Can’t Believe that a group of rag-shadow sunchasers – with an ogre in tow! And tow, TWO, known religious non-conformists! – has someone gotten this far. He’s not entirely happy about it either, but mostly, you’re just blowing his mind.
    You whisper to Jessaila: Wherefore he fully expects to discover that you cheated or, or, or something. Any hour now.
    You whisper to Jessaila: He just can’t see HOW though. So it’s kind of driving him nuts, and he can’t show it either, ‘cause that would be Bad Form.
    You whisper to Jessaila: Oh, and he can’t forget the dragon-worshipers. Those people are kinda sketchy as a religion all around.
  • Jessaila wonders how to get Councilor Harumph in a better mood.
    Malaina: ((Want me to help?))
    Jessaila: ((Nah, I’ve got a few ideas to work into conversation.))
    Councillor: “If you are quite done, scholar?”
    MasterScholar: “I have business of the library, but it can wait until their Path is completed.”
  • MasterScholar sits back and folds her hands.
  • Councilor shakes his head in a sort of half-disbelief
    Councilor: “Well. You are not the first to seek the scroll, nor the first to enter upon the Paths of Testing, but you are the first to make it this far. The final path lies before you.”
    Councilor: “This noon, a pilgrimage leaves for a deep and holy shrine. It is the duty of – of those whould tread this path, to see these pilgrims safe through one of the great vortices of the hidden river to their destination, and again to see them safely returned who present themselves for the journey.”
  • Councilor was about to say “the duty of Hazelighters” but that’s a speech for /normal/ candidates…
  • Councilor gives you a doubtfull look “You…are familiar with the hidden river, correct? I mean, obviously some of you bear Moru’s blessing.”
    Malaina is disconnected.
    Seiankornai: “Maybe by another term?”
  • Isabis twists her trademark Mage’s Lock (of silver hair) around one finger
    Isabis: “He’s talking about magic Seian, the non-temple kind.”
    Seiankornai: “Ah, ok.”
    Isabis: ((Jessaila and Thurirl will already be familiar with that analogy for magic. “Whirlpools” and “rapids” are other ways of saying “wild magic area” ))
    Jessaila: ((Jessaila familiar with this hidden river?))
    Grok: W “Where rive flow to?”
    Grok: W “We need a boat? And my monster bait?”
    Seiankornai: “No monster bait this time, Grok. We need to keep the monsters away. That’s the goal.”
    Jessaila: ((Ah, I see the above.))
    MasterScholar: W “You will need a boat for the ordinary river. The hidden river flows across it with great turbulence in the area you will travel; the shrine was placed by intent under the whirlpool.”
    Grok: “Grok take out all monsters. Then river always safe.”
    Jessaila: “That’s not the task at hand, at least for now.”
  • Thurirl is not sure if he should be dreading or looking forward to this journey.
  • Councilor mutters something (what have we gotten ourselves into?) then flicks a bell like the one the judges used in the courtroom
    Councilor: “Be at the south gate of the temple at noon to meet your pilgims. Dismissed.”
  • Seiankornai gets up an leaves, pulling Grok along with him
  • Jessaila bows somewhat formally.
    The angry-disgusted councilors variously storm out; the others stay put and watch /you/ leave instead.
    Grok: ((about what’s the percentage of each faction?))
    Isabis: “So a swamp trek of undisclosed length involving boats and an unknown number of non-self-defenders. Fun?”
    Jessaila: “Fun.”
  • Thurirl doesn’t say a word, rather happy to get out of the temple.
    Jessaila: “This is the pilgrimage I haven’t done before.”
  • Grok looking forward to it. Grok tired of temple and city
    Dragonhawk: ((You estimate about 1/2 "I can’t believe this! It’s supposed to be impossible o.O ", 1/4 “This is terrible, I hope we can fail them this time,” and 1/4 "I can’t believe this! It’s supposed to be impossible! " ))
    The benefit of instructions at dawn is you have all morning to prepare. Last-minute trips to the market are possible if you need them.
    Grok whispers: Grok is still going off and aquiring more monster bait. Also, I have a small shopping list in mind.
  • Jessaila suggests to Mala and Isabis that the three girls share the price of an insect repellant.
    You whisper to Grok: Noted.
  • Isabis is on board with that
    Isabis: “Get extra, in case the passengers forget.”
  • Jessaila also offers to cast the spell “Endure Elements” on people.
  • Thurirl discusses provisions and weapons with Seian to see what he thinks they might need.
  • Grok goes and makes a few purchases himself
  • Isabis shops for a few necessities, and touches up the waterproofing on her pack.
  • Seiankornai isn’t the best one to ask for weapons, he’s get his own since birth.
    Isabis: ((Thurirl should be giving everyone else advice around here, most likely))
  • Grok spends the rest of his time wandering the city looking for something interesting.
    Jessaila: ((Do we need to get our own boat?))
    Isabis: ((no))
    Noon sees you at the “south gate” which is also known as the “temple docks”
  • Thurirl does his best to help others prepare for the swamp, though he leaves out the part where he hopes they don’t run into his tribe.
    There you find a number of the small, extra-light-weight canoes used by travelers that expect to have to hand-port over the drier patches of the swamp.
  • Jessaila arrives early to inspect the boat.
    These three-person vessels take a streersman (provided by the Hazelighters) a paddler (you!) and a passenger in the middle (provided by the dawnbringers, as expected). Everyone has a pack, and there is very little gear beside; this is a pilgrimage, not a camping trip.
    Vari and Seian are let out of paddling duty, but still have a pilgrim each to guard.
    Malaina has connected.
  • Seiankornai was thinking of just pushing the boat from behind while swimming
    Isabis: ((wb))
    Seiankornai: ((wb))
  • Jessaila suggests that the steersmen go away and the paddler sit in back and steer both.
    Thurirl: ((hope the drakes are okay with swimming next to their charges))
    Jessaila: ((Wb))
    Seiankornai: ((we’re getting ready to go out on the test))
  • Thurirl accepts the steersmen. He doesn’t want to complicate things.
    Hazeligher: "I don’t think so miss. You haven’t passed this test yet. We have to send Someone along to protect these pilgrims if the trial group fails.
    Seiankornai: “That makes sense.”
    Jessaila: ((Putting the steersman in back, the passenger in the middle, and the paddler in front means that the paddler’s going to be working extremely hard.))
    Jessaila: ((And the canoe will be harder to steer as well.))
    Hazeligher: ((That’s how canoes work, yes. It’s not that the steersman isn’t also paddling, just that he’s the one responsible for direction. As my GirlScout instructors put it, the back paddle is the “steering wheel” and the front paddle is the “engine” ))
    Thurirl: ((have you ever been in a canoe? both people paddle))
    Seiankornai: ((I’ve been in one once or twice))
    Hazeligher: ((lousy analogy, as it turns out, but the point is that the person in back has to Know What He’s Doing, and the person in front mostly just has to put their back into it and not do anything funny without being asked))
    Jessaila: ((Yes, I’ve been in a canoe. That’s why I’m saying leaving the steersman in the back not doing anything isn’t going to work.))
    Hazeligher: ((the steersman isn’t ‘not doing anything’ that would result int he canoe going in circles 9.9 ))
    Hazeligher: ((bad word coice I think, you’re all getting the wrong idea of what this person is supposed to be doing))
    Hazeligher: ((my mistake))
  • Thurirl is not sure why Jessaila assumed the Hazelighters wouldn’t be doing any work…
    Jessaila: ((I’m apparently misunderstanding, yes. If all they do is steer, they work harder, we work harder, and it just doesn’t work.))
  • Grok gets in his canoe, and works to get his canoe hydroplaning
    Jessaila: ((Canoes can’t hydroplane – they don’t have a stepped hull.))
    Seiankornai: ((I somehow doubt Grok will be successful))
    Grok: ((Doesn’t mean Grok won’t try.))
    Hazeligher: ((the idea is that the Hazelighters don’t want to waste time testing all of your canoing skills on top of the rest, so they chose peple who know their way around canoes and put them in charge of keeping you off of sand bars. You are to sit in front and make the things go faster, and jump out to charge the monsters first if needed.))
    Jessaila: ((Ah, I see now.))
    ErronHazelighter: M “Slow down you crazy ogre! We forgot out pilgrim!”
    Seiankornai: “He only speaks Woanish!”
  • Jessaila shouts the instructions to Grok.
  • Seiankornai repeats the message for Grok
  • Seiankornai looks over to Mala and Vari, “How are you two doing? Water’s not too cold for you, Vari?”
  • Vari ignores him, doing as instructed
  • Thurirl nods to his passenger and steersman, then gets in the canoe without a word.
    Eventually you get the pilgrims arranges so that Grok has someone who can speak to him in his boat (a pech Accolyte looking to gain his first rank of priesthood), the erron pilgrim is with someone big enough to handle his size (Seian) and everyone who can’t swim is still with someone who knows lifesaving (why don’t these swamp people learn to swim?!?)
    Your first evening goes smoothly. Grok tells his passenger that rope over the side is monster bait, and the passenger tells the loud erron that Grok is fishing for rare foodstuffs. (Hey, there’s that wisdom. Maybe.)
  • Thurirl is completely mystified at why anyone living in the swamp wouldn’t learn how to swim.
    That evening, the head Hazelighter hands Jessaila a map and turns over navigation to her.
    Grok: ((It’s true. Monsters are pretty rare food stuff.))
  • Jessaila has a look at the map.
    Seiankornai: (uh huh)
    HazelighterCaptain: “It’s part of the test. You can do it yourself, as a group, hand it to whoever’s your specialist – you just can’t get help from those of us who aren’t testing.”
    Jessaila: “Oh, I see.”
    Isabis: “Not too surprising, considering they print star charts right into their holy books.”
    Jessaila: “Does it count as cheating if I grew up six river channels east of here?”
    HazelighterCaptain: “Darkness, no. If it did, half the people who do this would be cheating. Well, a quarter anyway. I bet you haven’t spent much time in the wild magic zone, though.”
    Thurirl: “Only if it’s ‘cheating’ to be born in the swamp and grow up swimming.”
  • HazelighterCaptain snorts at Thurirl
  • Thurirl gives him an odd look.
    Jessaila: “Not that much time.”
    HazelighterCaptain: “I’ll never understand why some people won’t take their kids down to the docks and teach ‘em the basics like sensible folk. You’d think the water had teeth or something.”
    HazelighterCaptain: “…”
    HazelighterCaptain: “Speaking of which, do keep in mind we’re in river-king territory.”
    Jessaila: “Yes, that’s why Grok threw out bai… wait a minute…”
  • HazelighterCaptain goes off to string a hammock in a high fork of a tree
    Jessaila: W “Grok, get that bait out of the water, please!”
    Dragonhawk: So how are you arranging camp?
  • Thurirl would be more surprised, but it’s Grok.
  • Thurirl considers setting up primitive alarms that will make plenty of noise if jostled…
    Seiankornai: ((reptiles sleep during the long cold night (after having been in a cold river) ))
  • Jessaila suggests a prudent campsite placement and arrangement.
    You camp as far from the water as possible on all sides, and it is on all sides. Most of the pilgrims have hammock-based bedrolls, and tie up literally high and dry in the trees around the fire pit.
  • Grok looks for a tree to sleep in.
    Grok sees a shortish but thick tree near the water.
  • Jessaila takes a few moments to discuss the map-work with the others.
  • Isabis get out her compass and helps
  • Grok climbs the tree and settles in for the night, making any adjustments needed to branches and such.
    LoudErronHazelighter: “Augh! Get yer mits outta my twigs ogre!!”
  • Seiankornai curls around some of the hammoks, keeping the occupants safer away from the water. Still pretty close to the fire for his own comfort.
  • LoudErronHazelighter relocates closer to the fire
    Seiankornai: (( XD ))
    Jessaila: “Oops.”
    You whisper to Grok: It’s a NOISY tree.
  • Thurirl wonders if he should start planning the heist of the scroll now or when they get back.
    Grok also sees a taller, less noisy tree leaning out over the river just a bit. It’s sturdy enough to hold him.
    And it’s Much to tall to be another tree-person. Sheesh. Those erron just don’t seem to recognize Mightiness when they see it.
    LoudErronHazelighter: ((too tall, even))
    You whisper to Thurirl: You still don’t know where the scroll is
    Thurirl whispers: That’s all part of the heist. =P
    Dragonhawk: (Your camp is well arranged. Anything else?)
  • Grok contemplates beating the tree into submission, but decides others might not like it.
    You whisper to Grok: What will be the status of your bait overnight?
  • Jessaila has one last look around the camp to check it’s defensibility.
  • Jessaila evaluates the tactical options. « 1d20+10 = 8 + 10 = 18 » Tactics
    Jessaila figures as long as people are paying enough attention not to let river-kings wander right up to the fire, you should be in reasonable good shape.
    Grok whispers: I left some out on the river from the canoe if I can get away with it without Jess catching on. The rest is in my pack with me in the tree
  • Jessaila offers to take the first watch, as elves need less sleep.
    Seiankornai: ((perhaps make alternate fires for them to wander up to further away from us?))
    The pilgrims all go promptly to sleep. Standing watch is definately the guards’ job, after all.
    You whisper to Grok: roll sneak for me
    You whisper to Jessaila: roll notice please
    Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 5 + 10 = 15 » Notice
    Grok: « 1d20+5 = 19 + 5 = 24 » Sneak
    Dragonhawk: Jessaila sees nothing. Nothing!
    Thurirl: ((wait, what?))
    Malaina: ((Someone pm if something happens))
    Dragonhawk: ((for future reference, if I ask you for a roll with whisper, you can respond with “/rollgm”))
    Jessaila: ((Ah.))
    Grok: Will do, captain
  • Jessaila yawns a bit.
  • Grok rolls to you: « 1d245231+2 = 55680 + 2 = 55682 » => Invalid expression: « 1d245231+2 = 55680 + 2 = 55682 ».
    Dragonhawk: ((or put the normal code in a whisper. But yes, Grok, like that.))
    Dragonhawk: ((and I don’t even want to know what Grok is doing that involves as 245K sided “die” ))
  • Jessaila keeps looking around for worrisome things.
    The person standing watch at midnight hears some odd sounds, but not very loud – it could be the winds whistling a little in the branches or something.
  • Jessaila eventually finishes her watch shift and hands it over to someone else.
    Dawn sees the Hazelighters and Dawnbringers up and about in irrationally cheerful moods, already almost ready to move
    You whisper to Grok: notice roll please
  • Seiankornai slits an eye open
    Grok whispers: « 1d20+8 = 14 + 8 = 22 » Notice check. Unless you’ll let me use my D245k
  • Thurirl slept well enough. He can always catch up on sleep later.
  • Seiankornai sees the fire has burned down a bit, though there’s still fuel. He shoots a bit of flame at it to get it going again and scoots a bit closer.
    Player “Your” is not connected.
    You whisper to Grok: Your bait has attracted something. Into the tree. It’s one of those funny lizards that that erron in the courtroom claimed were eating his geese.
    Something: “Hiiisssss”
  • Jessaila sits up abruptly.
    Somethings: “Hiss.” “Hisss” “Hhhhhisss.”
  • Jessaila looks carefully around.
    Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 9 + 10 = 19 » Notice
  • Thurirl has a blade drawn immediately.
    Somethings: hide « 1d20+1 = 5 + 1 = 6 »
    Grok whispers: If it’s in my tree, I try to catch it.
    Seiankornai: ((Notice « 1d20+11 = 11 + 11 = 22 » ))
    Oh look, it’s a cute little kodo – not as boldly marked as the ones that guy brought to the courtyard.
    Er. But with lots of friends.
    Malaina: ((Is there a map for this?))
    Thurirl: ((There will be.))
  • Kodo in the tree swipes the bait bag with his claws, spilling delicious meat at the base of Grok’s tree.
  • Grok makes Kodo go squish for messing with Grok’s bag.
    Thurirl: “Remind me to construct a thorough lecture in Woanish on the idiocy of keeping raw meat around in the swamp.”
    Seiankornai: “You wanted to attract a monster Grok, that’s one.”
    Grok: ((It was in a tree! With me! If my snores weren’t scary enough to get rid of it, nothing would!))
    Grok: W “That one too small. No challenge for mighty grok.”
    Kodo: ((attack roll, Grok?))
    Grok: Grok smashes the foe down with brute strength! « 1d20+13 = 10 + 13 = 23 » for « 1d4+10 = 1 + 10 = 11 » damage
  • Kodo saves for « 1d20+7 = 9 + 7 = 16 » vs 15
    Seiankornai: ((so is there a map for this?))
  • Kodo squalls and falls out of the tree
    Kodo: ((one moment, brb))
    Kodo: ((eh, forget it, I forgot the trees but I’ll just add them as we go.))
    Kodo: ((we’ll say if tree locatio matters to you, you can buy the right to place one for an action die.))
    Kodo: ((please bring your tokens to “Kodo Island”0)
    Seiankornai: ((and roll init?))
    Kodo: ((and roll init))
    Grok: Grok acts quickly, with a roll of « 1d20+9 = 16 + 9 = 25 »
    Malaina: « 1d20+10 = 5 + 10 = 15 » Malaina and Vari’s Initiative
    Seiankornai: init « 1d20+5 = 4 + 5 = 9 »
    Jessaila: « 1d20+15 = 2 + 15 = 17 » Initiative
    Thurirl: Initiative: « 1d20+8 = 6 + 8 = 14 »
    Kodo: init: « 1d20+5 = 14 + 5 = 19 » and Isabis « 1d20+7 = 7 + 7 = 14 »
    Grok: ((Why did we camp on Kodo island again?))
    Kodo: ((it didn’t have a name until now ))
    Seiankornai: ((because it’s the largest landmass in the local swamp?))
    Kodo: ((least waterlogged, more likely, but yeah basically that))
    This pack of kodos is lean, wild, and hungry – and entirely willing to rise to Grok’s bait.
    Kodo: Grok’s turn – you’re in a tree, remember.
  • Grok jumps out of tree and attempts to land on the one he just knocked out of the tree.
    Kodo: ((attack roll to aim your feet ))
  • Kodo dodges the feet for half-damage? « 1d20+5 = 15 + 5 = 20 »
    Grok: Grok smashes the foe down with brute strength! « 1d20+13 = 17 + 13 = 30 » for « 1d4+10 = 2 + 10 = 12 » damage
  • Kodo saves for « 1d20+7 = 1 + 7 = 8 » vs 18
  • Kodo almost dodges…but while Grok’s left foot misses it’s torso, his righ lands on its neck.
  • Grok attempts to intimidate the others with his massive size and a large roar.
    Grok: « 1d20+12 = 11 + 12 = 23 » Intimidate
    Kodo: resolve « 1d20 = 8 » « 1d20 = 5 » « 1d20 = 9 »
    Kodo: (( … this fight could be even shorter than I expected…))
    Grok: WFOOD MINE!”
    Thurirl: ((shorter than any of us expected))
    Seiankornai: ((Grok done?))
    Kodo: ((OK, that’s a “threaten” action, right?))
    Kodo: ((you do 1d6 stress damage to a Kodo in “close quarters”))
    Grok: ((I wasn’t thinking in terms of action, rather just intimidate to make them run away. I figure an angry ogre should hopefully scare most of them away.))
    Grok: ((threaten fits, though))
    Kodo: ((If you defeat them with stress damage, that’s the mechanical description of ‘scare them into running away’ for this system.))
    Grok: ((That’s what I’m going for.))
    Kodo: ((OK, so the one closest to you then?))
    Kodo: « 1d6 = 6 » Scary Ogre!!
  • Kodo saves for « 1d20+7 = 15 + 7 = 22 » vs 13
  • Kodo has his pack at his back…right guys? Hisss!
    Grok: ((Dumb lizards. They go squish now. Done))
    Grok has received initiative.
  • Jessaila strikes out at the approaching enemy. (Ref save DC 15 to avoid « 1d10+1 = 6 + 1 = 7 » damage.)
    Jessaila: ((En Garde trick.))
    Kodo: reflex « 1d20+5 = 17 + 5 = 22 »
    Hungry Kodos try to surround their prey – hiss, look, there’s more where that came from…
  • Kodo 31 attacks Grok hitting « 1d20+6+4 = 20 + 6 + 4 = 30 » for possible « 2d6+1 = 8 + 1 = 9 » damage
  • Kodo 12 attacks Grok hitting « 1d20+6+4 = 12 + 6 + 4 = 22 » for possible « 2d6+1 = 5 + 1 = 6 » damage
  • Kodo 54 attacks Grok hitting « 1d20+6+4 = 19 + 6 + 4 = 29 » for possible « 2d6+1 = 5 + 1 = 6 » damage
    Seiankornai: ((these bites?))
    Kodo: ((yes. No AP ))
    Seiankornai: ((ouch, two crit threats though))
    Kodo: ((standard characters can’t crit ))
    Seiankornai: ((oh right))
  • Kodo 49 attacks Vari biting « 1d20+6+4 = 10 + 6 + 4 = 20 » for possible « 2d6+1 = 5 + 1 = 6 » damage
  • Kodo 80 attacks Vari biting « 1d20+6+4 = 5 + 6 + 4 = 15 » for possible « 2d6+1 = 6 + 1 = 7 » damage
  • Kodo 11 attacks Jessaila biting « 1d20+6+4 = 11 + 6 + 4 = 21 » for possible « 2d6+1 = 9 + 1 = 10 » damage
  • Kodo 13 attacks Jessaila biting « 1d20+6+4 = 2 + 6 + 4 = 12 » for possible « 2d6+1 = 5 + 1 = 6 » damage
  • Vari sidesteps one coming at him and shakes off another, hissing at him
  • Kodo hisses back. Somehow, it lacks something compared to the resonant voice of the much larger reptiloid.
    Kodo: ((Grok and Jessaila, you taking note of damage? Not that it’s much, but still, I think a few points got through there))
    Jessaila has received initiative.
    Kodo: also, Jessaila’s turn
    Grok: ((yep. Considering it’s late and both I and the monsters have gone, I’m calling it a night. Good luck all))
    Seiankornai: ((goodnight))
    Kodo: ((OK. Goodnight.))
    Kodo: ((the rest of us will stop after Seian’s turn))
  • Jessaila strikes at Kodo 11.
  • Jessaila strikes with elfin speed and her fencing sabre. « 1d20+7 = 3 + 7 = 10 » tohit, « 1d10 = 10 » for damage. Touche! (If your target is a standard character with a lower Dexterity score than yours, he immediately fails his Damage save. 1/round.)
    Kodo: ((you have to hit for Touche to come into play, right?))
    Jessaila: ((Yes.))
  • Jessaila strikes with elfin speed and her fencing sabre. « 1d20+7 = 16 + 7 = 23 » tohit, « 1d10 = 6 » for damage.
    Kodo: ((that one hits))
    Jessaila: ((Second normal attack.))
  • Kodo saves for « 1d20+7 = 2 + 7 = 9 » vs 13
  • Kodo yelps and doubles back on his tail – this one’s not interested in eating you any more.
    Malaina has received initiative.
    Malaina: ((Could I take on the one that Jess just hit?))
    Grok is disconnected.
    Kodo: ((It’s already out of the fight, but if you want it for stewing or something I guess you can.))
    Kodo: ((It can’t attack again though. It’s running away.))
    Malaina: « 1d20+11 = 4 + 11 = 15 » Halberd; AP 5, Reach 1,Trip, Bleed, Hook, 19-20 Threat (17-20 for Favored Foes) Skull Crack (Polearm Attack Trick): If the target is a standard character with a lower Wisdom score than yours, he immediately fails his Damage save (damage isn’t rolled). @ Kodo 80
    Thurirl: ((maybe give it to Thurirl for a snack =P if he doesn’t find it insulting or weird))
    Vari: « 1d20
    8 = 18 + 8 = 26 » Bite Attack, Threat Range 17-20 (increases to 15-20 w/Favored Foe) @ Kodo 49
    Malaina: ((Spending an AD for that Crit))
    Kodo: Malaina misses. Vari has a snack.
  • Vari shakes the little hiss faker about in his jaws
  • Kodo 49 will never hiss again. Also, its kind of tasty in a stringy sort of way.
    Thurirl has received initiative.
  • Thurirl notes he is rather far from the pack of encroaching lizards.
    Kodo: ((oh, wait, I think Vari has another action? You could roll to threaten the other kodo with your food-shaking.))
    Vari: « 1d20+9 = 20 + 9 = 29 » Intimidate Menacing Threat: The NPC may Threaten up to 3 opponents at once. He only rolls once for the action while each opponent rolls to resist separately
    Seiankornai: ((Oooh crit))
    Malaina: ((Haha, lovely, I guess I am spending another AD))
  • Kodo 80 suddenly decides that he is on the wrong end of the food chain here, and turns to run.
    Kodo: ((now Thurirl for real))
    Seiankornai: ((two more targets for Vari))
    Seiankornai: ((from the Threaten))
    Kodo: ((which ones do you want to shake your trophy at, Vari?))
    Malaina: ((Uhhh, 54 and 19?))
    Kodo: *((OK))
  • Thurirl considers his tactical options…
  • Vari hopes the little hiss faker has learned his lesson…whilst he is probably eating his brother
    Thurirl: ((I need an action that helps me protect our charges from any kodos wandering south…))
    Thurirl: ((I suppose I could try tangling them…))
    Kodo: ((that, or move north one movement and threaten the ones there, perhaps. ))
  • Thurirl decides he should be between the wildlife and the people they’re escorting.
    Thurirl: ((that’s more than my normal ground speed, so I think that ends my turn))
    Kodo: ((OK))
  • Isabis is in agreement on “Between the wildlife and the pilgrims”
  • Isabis tries waving her bow and yelling: « 1d20+5 = 20 + 5 = 25 » “Rar! Go away you lousy scale-dogs!”
    Seiankornai: ((I think she succeeds))
  • Kodo is intimidated by Isabis? « 1d20 = 4 »
    Kodo: Scary Human! « 1d6 = 4 »
  • Kodo saves for « 1d20+7 = 4 + 7 = 11 » vs 12
    Isabis has received initiative.
    Seiankornai 1 has received initiative.
    More than half the pack is now in retreat
  • Seiankornai makes a wing leap over by Grok, roaring at the lizards
    Threaten « 1d20+10 = 13 + 10 = 23 » at 31 for « 1d6 = 3 » Stress
  • Thurirl isn’t sure whether to approve… or be miffed that his own presence wasn’t frightening enough.
    Seiankornai: ((maybe they haven’t noticed him yet?))
    Thurirl: ((probably not, but he’s still conflicted =P he forgets how invisible he can be))
    Seiankornai: ((or maybe they think he’s one of them?))
    Malaina: ((So invisible….death doesn’t notice him…))
    Kodo: scary drake? « 1d20 = 13 » taking possible « 1d6 = 1 »
  • Kodo saves for « 1d20+7 = 4 + 7 = 11 » vs 11
    Seiankornai: ((spend an AD to boost hte “damage”? ))
    Kodo: ((mmm…OK))
    Seiankornai: ((« 1d6 = 5 »))
    Kodo: ((but I’m rerolling if you do))
    Kodo: ((since you’re supposed to put the AD on before I roll the save, I think.))
  • Kodo saves for « 1d20+7 = 20 + 7 = 27 » vs 13
  • Kodo 31 jumps init to attempts something unusual, tumbling for « 1d20+7 = 8 + 7 = 15 »
  • Kodo bumps his nose on a tree.
    Game Saved
    Log Saved

Log 70

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 69

Sunchasers DH drgnhawk