Log 108

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 107
Log 109

Seiankornai has connected.
Host has connected.
Malaina has connected.
Jessaila has connected.
Thurirl has connected.
When last we saw our heroes, their journey to visit Crazy Jillintkivan had been joyfully interrupted by the discovery that Malaina /does/ have a surviving relative after all.
Last night, you all stayed up late talking, then Malaina and Helga stayed up /later/ telling family secrets and such like.
It is, therefore, perhaps less early in the morning than it might be when you all finally sit down to breakfast, and Helga gets around to asking you all what exactly brought you this way.

  • Seiankornai happily noms his breakfast
  • Malaina explains to her aunt (she is so very happy she can say that now) the mission they are on, letting the others interject if they need to
  • Jessaila listens and combs out her hair.
  • Thurirl is doing a fair imitation of a stone pillar, listening intently to the conversation.
    Helga: “So I follow the sunchasing bit, and the part about the scroll, but what are you doing halfway to the Wind Maw? It’s not exactly the center of human civilization down here.”

Seiankornai: “There’s supposed to be a large, cranky drake there that has the last fragment.”

  • Vari is enjoying a breakfast of wild goat with his twin
    Thurirl is disconnected.
    Helga: “Large cranky…oh, tell me you’re not going to see Jillintkivan.”

Malaina: “Is that his name?”

Thurirl has connected.
Helga: ((yes, yes it is ))

Seiankornai: ((were we told the name before?))

  • Isabis reads from the documents they gave you at the Riddlemasters’ College when you were hired
    Malaina: ((Mala leaves the paperwork to Jess and Isabis))

Isabis: “Jillintkivan, Son of… the Forgotten? What kind of name is that?”

Unknown command: “nick Helga”. Try /help for a list of commands.

  • Helga sighs deeply
    Malaina: “Auntie?”

Helga: “It’s the kind of name you give yourself when your whole village gets eaten by goblins, I guess. I feel sorry for the fella, but he’s crazier than a dwarf in a longboat, and twice as tightfisted.”

  • Jessaila raises an eyebrow.
    Seiankornai: “…I’ve never seen a dwarf in a longboat.”

Helga: “…and I don’t care how historically relevant it may theoretically be, I don’t care to be called ‘Goblin-bringer’ by anyone.”

Jessaila: “What to the what now?”

Thurirl: “I have not either. However, they do not react well to the presence of large bodies of water.”

Thurirl: “Something about very dense bones and swimming.”

Malaina: “So we probably need to have our wits about us when we finally meet him.”

Helga: “Yeah, and your patience too. He call /all/ humans ‘Goblin-bringer.’ Nice fella. Hope I never cross paths with him again.”

Seiankornai: “Hmm.”

  • Malaina sighs as she pokes at her breakfast now, not liking to think about what goblins do to villages
    Helga: “They say he has a hoard to rival the dragons themselves though, so maybe that’s why they think the scroll is there.”

Thurirl: “A logical choice, provided that he considers rare sections of parchment to be valuable.”

Seiankornai: “Spell fragments are more likely than any old piece of parchment.”

Seiankornai: “After all, we know a bunch of people already who think them valuable.”

Jessaila: “Hoard to rival dragons? All I’ve heard tell of dragon hoards is that they are ‘beyond immeasurable’…”

  • Helga shrugs
    Seiankornai: “Well, yeah, it’s not like they’d let just anyone in there to measure them.”

Thurirl: “Do not mention that to the dwarves. They would see it as a challenge.”

Thurirl: “There is a reason banking is considered an honorable career among their people.”

Helga: “Who knows what Powers the Be hoard? Maybe the souls of men and drakes. As for Crazy Jillinth, he hoards everything.”

Seiankornai: “They’re welcome to it, the more people looking for the Dragon Kings, the more likely they are to be found.”

Seiankornai: “Crazy? I thought he was just cranky.”

  • Jessaila turns to Thurirl. “It’s my understanding that banking involves the money being dispersed rather than hoarded…”
    Malaina: “Perhaps it depends on the day and his mood.”

Thurirl: “There are some who would fail to see the difference.”

Helga: “Oh, he’s cranky too.”

Seiankornai: “Crazy and cranky… great.”

  • Thurirl looks at Jessaila with a raised eyeridge. “You do not know bankers very well, do you?”
  • Helga finishes her breakfast
    Helga: “I gotta go feed Bonny-Abby. Don’t leave without saying goodby!”
  • Jessaila looks slightly peeved. “I know bankers well enough, just of the gaunt elf variety.”
  • Helga walks off in the direction of the stable
    Malaina: “Of course not!”
  • Malaina gets up to clear the table and clean the dishs
    Seiankornai: “And we wouldn’t think about not stopping on the way back, either…. unless we have a giant angry drake chasing us, then we won.t”
  • Thurirl gives Jessaila a curious look. Didn’t he just make a joke?
  • Jessaila apparently missed the joke in the deadpan delivery.
    Isabis: “Jillinth… crazy memory, she’s calling him. Wonder if he’s actually some kind of confused, or if that’s just how she shortens his name?”

Thurirl: “The mind can be broken if the proper stressor can be found. Perhaps something caused him to remember things wrong.”

  • Malaina starts to clean up the dishs while the others talk
    Isabis: “Maybe…it makes me wonder if his first name is as assumed as the patronym, though. It could work out to ‘memory hoarder son of the forgotten’ – I didn’t think anything of it until now, but…”
  • Jessaila moves to help Mala.
    Seiankornai: “Hoarding everything? All the memories?”

Isabis: “I guess we’ll find out.”

  • Seiankornai offers to help dry the non-wooden dishes
  • Isabis gives over playing with the last of her oatmeal and eats it so Malaina and Jess can have the dish
    Seiankornai: (dry and sterilize ;) )

Isabis: “Here, I’ll stack the clean ones for Seian.”

  • Isabis starts arranging dishes against the stone wall
    Malaina: “Thanks.”

Malaina: “I still can’t believe my aunt is actually here…”

  • Seiankornai gives the dishes a few pass overs with a small amount of fire
  • Thurirl ponders the concept of hoarding memories in silence.
    Isabis: “So are you ready – well, ready enough – to move on, Malaina? I know you must want to stay the season, what with thinking your whole family was gone and suddenly finding one alive, but…”

Seiankornai: ((Matha inns/taverns with drakes on staff never get any complaints about their dishes being dirty :P ;) ))

  • Malaina grows quiet as she looks down at the slightly, sudsy water, a frown on her face
    You can hear Bonny-Abby whinnying from the far side of the cottage
    Malaina: “Perhaps….perhaps when we are done finding the scrolls, I can take a break from being a sunchaser and stay with my aunt for a while? Would that be ok? It wouldn’t feel right to just not finish this mission now that it is so close to being completed.”

Jessaila: “I think that would be a good idea.”

Jessaila: “It’s important to reconnect with family.”

Thurirl: “I am not aware of any contract any of us have signed. You no doubt wish to restore family bonds thought long lost.”

Isabis: “I think after all /this/ we’ll /all/ be needing a break anyhow.”

Isabis: “I mean, we’ve been the length of the valley, /twice/ now.”

Seiankornai: “We’d need some place to settle down in for a break. Some place big. (particularly if Grok shows up again…)”

  • Thurirl gives Isabis a curious look. He has no intention of recreation after this matter is settled.
    Malaina: “Well, if we do take a break, why don’t you guys take the time to fix up that cave with the sunpool in it?”

Jessaila: “Good idea!”

Isabis: “Hey, what’d we register claim to that ruin for, right? That’s certainly where /I’m/ going for down time, if we finally get some. There’s an ancient library there just begging for someone to read it. Speaking of things and people forgotten.”

  • Isabis is literally rubbing her hands together in glee at the mere thought of all those old books and scrolls
    Thurirl: “An excellent course of action. It will provide us with a suitable staging point for further endeavors.”

Malaina: “And I know where it is, so me and Vari would be able to find it easy.”

Thurirl: ((…and now I’m thinkin’ with Bat-Vessa here, this means we’re getting a Cave of Justice… =P))

  • Malaina goes to dry her hands, “I’ll go let Auntie Helga know!”
    Watcher has connected.
    Seiankornai: “Perhaps we could make a dedicatd study on how those goblins got the sunpool working at command and change it to come to other places we’d prefer.”
  • Malaina leaves the others to talk cave renovation talk and goes to find her aunt and Bonny-Abby to tell her their plans
    Isabis: “That’d be useful. Though between you and me, if the goblins don’t change it themselves, they have rocks in their heads. Right now, we have a free entrance into two or three of their holes, you know?”

Jessaila: “Assuming they don’t re-occupy the cave now once they know we’re gone.”

  • Helga is saddling Bonny-Abby in the stable
  • Malaina makes her way over, “Auntie!”
    Seiankornai: “I’m just worried they may have decided to scout things out first before trying something like that and discovered we left, and then restrengthened their hold on it.”

Helga: “Hey there.”

  • Helga hugs Malaina
    Thurirl: “Strongholds would be a better term, perhaps. They did not seem to be scarce for recruits in the other locations.”
  • Malaina hugs back, smiling
    Helga: “I have to ride patrol sometime today. You lot going to stick around long enough to join me, or do you have to be going?”

Malaina: “Well, we will probably be leaving soon to go find this drake. But after that, we will probably be taking a long break, perhaps for a month or two, and I was wondering if I could….stay here with you during that break?”

  • Malaina looks a bit unsure and anxious
    Helga: “Well of course you could! Heck, you’d probably be useful. The local goblins are dumb as rocks, they keep trying to come back where I’ve rooted them out already. They’ve been all stirred up the last week or two, too.”

Malaina: “Hehehe, if there is anything I can claim to be good at, it is wiping out goblins!”

Helga: “Good girl!”

Malaina: “Especially after….well, Isabis says I need to calm down about that. Anyway, I’ll go check to see when the others are ready to go.”

Helga: “Yeah…listen, hold onto your temper with that crazy drake. Remember, he may have lost most of his marbles, but some of ‘em goblins stole, and you know what that’s like.”

Malaina: “Only too well….”

Seiankornai: “Perhaps we should do a bit of goblin hunting, and bring their corpses to him as a gift.”

Malaina: “But we will do our best.”

  • Malaina pets Bonny-Abbys shoulder gently
  • Seiankornai waits for comment on his idea
    Helga: “Ok, well…. OK. Just you come back soon.”
  • Helga gives Malaina a rib-creaking hug
    Thurirl: “I cannot begin to speculate on what reaction that would elicit. Until we have seen his demeanor for ourselves, we cannot guess as to whether such a gift would endear us to him, or be taken as an insult.”
  • Malaina hugs her back, almost wanting to cry, but holds it in, “You be careful on you’re patrol. I’ll see you soon.”
    Seiankornai: “I suppose you’re right.”
  • Seiankornai starts heading away, whispering to Thurirl “Perhaps we should leave them for their moment.”
  • Malaina pulls away, eyes looking mysteriously misty looking, but she smiles before backing away and turning to head back to the house and inform the others
    Helga: “See you soon. Tell the others I said Wind’s Speed to you all.”

Thurirl: ((I was under the impression that they were not in our vicinity, hence we’re not privy to their private conversation. =P))

  • Helga mounts up and rides off before anyone can ask what she’s got in her eye, because millitary commanders (retired or otherwise) don’t cry.
    Thurirl: ((D’awwwww….))

Seiankornai: ((oh, thought we were all gathered))

Helga: ((you were until Helga went to feed her ember-strider, and Mala went to find her.))

Seiankornai: ((ahhh))

Jessaila: ((I thought we were still in the house washing dishes.))

Helga: ((everyone else is))

  • Malaina quickly wipes at her eyes as she goes to join the others, but gives her Vari’s a reassuring smile when they look at her with concern, especially since she didn’t cry very often
    Thurirl: “A thought occurs to me… if he is capable of hoarding memories, perhaps the effort has driven him insane. Especially if they were not his own. The task of keeping all such memories in order would be disorienting, perhaps too much even for a drake.”

Seiankornai: “The dishes are all nice clean and dry, anything else before we go?”

Seiankornai: “I’m wondering if we should start out by having him tell us some stories.”

Seiankornai: “(WEll, besides my other idea of starting out with a gift of dead goblins.”

Isabis: “I like the stories idea better.”

Isabis: “I know goblins are…well, goblins, but still.”

  • Malaina shakes her head once she is with the others, “No, she is going out on patrol, so she doesn’t mind that we will be leaving soon to find this drake.”
    Thurirl: “If it is not inconvenient, I do not wish to introduce myself nor handle the negotiations. It would be best to have someone to observe him for signs of hostility, or perhaps clues in his body language.”

Malaina: “So I guess we better get going while we still have daylight.”

Seiankornai: “Yes.”

  • Seiankornai turns to the path with a stylish swish in his tail
    Thurirl: “Agreed. We would be at a severe disadvantage if we were to appear to him at night.”
  • Malaina goes to gather up her things
    Thurirl: “And with a human in our party, and two elves, he may mistake it for a raid. If his mind has been compromised, he may not notice the ears in the dark.”

Jessaila: ((Two elves?))

Malaina: ((I think you mean two human and an elf))

Isabis: ((Yes. Isabis and Mala are both Matha humans.))

Thurirl: ((Huh. My mistake. I always thought Isabis was an elf.))

Thurirl: ((And after I edited it from “humans” because I thought I was mistaken… =P))

Thurirl: ((Just pretend he got it right.))

Seiankornai: “Perhaps Mala and Isabis should wait outside for a bit, while Vari, Thurirl, Jessaila and I start the talking?”

Seiankornai: ((gives Vari some more spotlight time, and the GM doesn’t have to be talking to herself :P ;) ))

Isabis: ((Oh yes please ))

Jessaila: ((I sympathize.))

Malaina: (Hehe, ok)

Isabis: ((ready to move on?))

Malaina: ((Yep))

You set out again, and reach the territory described in your directions in late afternoon. It’s pretty distinctive, really.
Isabis: e Most drakes will do a certain amount of landscaping around and within their lairs; in general, style points go for reshaping the landscape to perfectly reflect one’s goals while still making it look natural (if you have to ask whether they really did it themselves, they “win” as it were).

  • Jessaila scouts ahead to prevent ambushes.
    Jillintkivan’s lair features…interesting landscaping. It actually looks like two or three…dozen…people all did patches, each in his own way, and someone else cut out bits of each and transferred them here, laying them edge-to-edge with no respect for boundary effects.
  • Isabis runs a foot along an uneaven spot in the hillside
    Malaina: “Huh, interesting.”
  • Seiankornai is flabbergasted
    Isabis: “Hmm…I wonder how he keeps grass from growing on the edge of the cut?”

Seiankornai: “… … ….”

  • Seiankornai might be broken, too
    Isabis: “…after you?”

Thurirl: “Fascinating. There is a distinct and obvious break between each patch.”

Seiankornai: “…yeaaaaaah, I can see he might be just a tiny bit… fractured in the head.”

  • Thurirl kneels down to examine one of the breaks, casually investigating it for subtle magic.
  • Malaina keeps going
  • Seiankornai shakes himself from the daze, and continues on
    You whisper to Thurirl: Your instinct is good – the patches are maintained by subtle magic, emanating from what appears to be hair-fine wires laid under the boundaries. The small hole you dig looking for the wires fills itself in moments after you remove your finger.
    Thurirl: “Fascinating! This magic would be quite useful for our own ends…”
  • Vari has not lair, knows nothing about how lairs are supposed to look, so continues to follow after Mala
    The patchwork landscape leads up the ‘dry waterway’ constituting the front path (that part was well done, anyway), no patch square but all neatly fitted together
    Jessaila: “Looks nuttier than the feast-lunch of a squirrel convention.”

Isabis: “So many colorful metaphors today…what magic, Thurirl?”

  • Thurirl notices the others leaving and gets up with a longing sigh. He really wants to know how this works!
    Thurirl: “The ground is interlaced with enchanted wire. It prevents the landscape from being manipulated. We would have to dispel it before we could even hope to dig through.”

Malaina: “Well, seeing as we don’t know how he would react to that, I think it’s best we leave his home the way it is.”

Isabis: “…huh. So that’s how he’s keeping the divisions sharp, then. Do you think it’s actually meant as an anti-tunneling ward?”

You whisper to Thurirl: (no, it would have to be deeper for it to act as a serious defense)
Seiankornai: “That’s interesting, so it’s very deliberate.”

Thurirl: “Unlikely, though I imagine it could be purposed for such. I believe he simply does not want wandering visitors to disparage his lawn.”

Thurirl: ((cue cranky dragon waving his cane at a bunch of teenaged goblins… =P))

  • Malaina takes a look around
    Isabis: ((LOL))

Isabis: “Hmm…”

  • Seiankornai looks for the cave
    Isabis: “If he doesn’t want disparagement, he might have done something less…less bizarre looking.”

Thurirl: “If this is atypical of drake lodgings, then I believe it is testament to his mental state.”

Thurirl: “Fractured… yet kept in place.”

Thurirl: “It gives me hope for our negotiations.”

Seiankornai: “It is very atypical of drake homes.”

Seiankornai: “very very very very very.”

Isabis: “Eccentric isn’t really identical with insane, though.”

  • Thurirl looks at Seian in curiosity. “Repeating adjectives is unnecessary. If once is insufficient, you should look for a stronger word.”
    The cave entrance is a baffled archway, very good workmanship. Someone spent money on this one, and it’s good craftsmanship too. The ragged state of the curtain would generally indicate harder times have since come upon the inhabitants, though.
  • Malaina makes her way towards the cave entrance
    Thurirl: “He appears to have excellent taste.”
  • Seiankornai looks near the entrance for a bell
    Seian has a choice of three bells, each one mounted in a perfectly logical location. It must be noted that most drakes take advantage of only /one/ of these logical possiblities…
    Isabis: ((top, left, and right basically)
  • Jessaila has a look at the three bells.
    Thurirl: “I assume this is also atypical. It is also redundant.”

Jessaila: “Redundancy is redundant.”

You whisper to Jessaila: One of them might be old elven workmanship. The larger one on top is clearly drakish make. The one of the right is dwarf-cast, though the design suggests it was made for a drake or for the drakish market generally.
Jessaila: “Also, one bell appears to be elvish, one drakish, and one… dwarvish for a drake?”

  • Isabis taps gently on the bells, smallest to largest, and discovers a minor chord
    Isabis: “Hm. Musical, after a fashion.”
  • Thurirl blinks and examines the bells, and… yes, that’s dwarven work all right. It should be here at least as long as the other two, if not longer.
    Thurirl: “Curious. Perhaps one needs to ring the bells in the correct order?”

Malaina: ((Would we need to roll something to find the correct order?))

Voice: “Per-/haps/ one needs to go away and leave the bells alone!”

Seiankornai: “Oh, hello, venerable one.”

Thurirl: “Ah. We have announced our presence without trying. A serious social mistake, I am sure.”

  • Malaina jumps a bit
    Jessaila: “Unless our purpose is to speak with the owner of the bells…”

Voice: “Venerable yourself. Go away.”

Voice: (notice checks if you want)

  • Thurirl notes that the adjective of “cranky” is being proven as they speak.
    Malaina: ((Guess it’s too late for that))

Thurirl: Notice: « 1d20+11 = 7 + 11 = 18 »

Seiankornai: ((Notice « 1d20+11 = 13 + 11 = 24 »))

  • Jessaila has keen elven senses. « 1d20+13 = 17 + 13 = 30 » Notice
    Malaina: ((All the high rolls are taken!))

Malaina: « 1d20+13 = 10 + 13 = 23 » Notice

Those at just the right angle (at least 20) can see a large eye and just the tip of a claw ever-so-slightly pulling back an edge of the curtain. The scales around the eye are black, as advertized.
Thurirl: ((drat my luck))

  • Isabis stays back, as requested
  • Seiankornai tries to estimate how much bigger they are than your typical adult drake
    You whisper to Seiankornai: He’s about one size category larger than you – so big, but not unheard of in size. The drake king is that big too.
  • Thurirl prefers to let others negotiate, while he stays attentive to whatever clues he can gather… unaware that he just missed a big one.
    Seiankornai: “We were wondering if perhaps you could tell us a particular story.”
  • Vari stands behind Mala protectively
    You whisper to Thurirl: from this position, looking back over the ‘landscaping,’ you can see a sort of pattern
    Jillintkivan: “…you mistaken me for a scribe, kid?”
  • Thurirl happens to glance behind him… and blinks.
  • Thurirl turns back around and tilts his head.
    You whisper to Thurirl: The more distant bits almost look like a mosaic. Up close the effect is occluded, but maybe it’s meant to be seen from the air.
    Seiankornai: “Um… not a scribe as such, no, but one who knows much, yes.”
  • Jillintkivan sniffs
    Thurirl: “Forgive the repetition, yet… fascinating. I do not believe these patches are random.”

Jillintkivan: “OF COURSE THEY AREN’T RANDOM! RAAH! TAKE YOUR PET GOBLIN-BRINGERS AND GO AWAY !”

  • Thurirl tenses from the shouting, but otherwise does not react.
    Thurirl: “…Seian. I believe I have upset our… ‘host’ would be too strong a word, as we have not been welcomed…”

Seiankornai: “They are goblin-slayers.”

Jillintkivan: “Says who, them?”

Vari: “Yes!! Seeing as goblins killed her family and home!!”

  • Jessaila thinks we can take him.
  • Thurirl walks closer to Seian and taps his flank.
  • Vari does not like this older drake
  • Seiankornai glances back at Thurirl
    Thurirl: “I require your assistance in gaining a new perspective on this situation.”

Seiankornai: “Uh… how so?”

Jillintkivan: (quiet and bitterly) “…goblins do that.”

Thurirl: “Vertical. I believe it will provide new insight.”

  • Thurirl goes to climb onto Seian, wanting to waste as little time as possible.
    Seiankornai: “sigh Fine.”
  • Seiankornai takes to the air to give Thurirl (and himself) a better vantage point
  • Jessaila has no idea what anyone is doing here.
  • Jillintkivan cranes his head around, trying to see who’s talking to the red guy. The curtain outlines his head
  • Seiankornai doubts the “rudeness” of it will affect anything, it’s practically what the big drake requested
    Vari: “So don’t bring up bad memories for her!! Bad enough we haven’t found the tribe that killed them…and you haven’t even really asked why we are here! Grumpy old drake, are we sure we are supposed to be here!”

Jillintkivan: “…huh. They did go away…”

  • Thurirl looks down at the landscape as soon as they’re high enough, attempting to discern the pattern he spied earlier.
  • Jillintkivan looks back at Vari
  • Vari turns away from the older drake, wanting to leave
    Jillintkivan: “You know what, kid? You’re probably not. Big mistake. Better go back home and figure out where you belong.”

Jessaila: “Oookaaay…”

Vari: “I know where I belong, where do you belong?”

You whisper to Thurirl: From high enough, you can clearly discern a drakish name-rune. The phonetics are a little hard for you – Vessa don’t use this script for draconic much -

  • Jillintkivan hisses at Vari
  • Seiankornai flies around for a few moments until thurirl has a good enough look then heads back
  • Vari scratchs at a small itch under his chin
    Jillintkivan: “I belong in my home, hatchling!”

Vari: “Seems lonely.”

Thurirl: “Fascinating! I believe I now know why the landscape is shaped as it is.”

You whisper to Seiankornai: From high enough, you can clearly discern a drakish name-rune picked out in darker foliage types. The phonetics are a little hard for you – Vessa don’t use this script for draconic much –
Jessaila: “Jillintkivan, we’re here seeking a scroll that you may have in your collection. It contains knowledge that will help us and others destroy the goblin menace.”

  • Thurirl seems excited. Well, for him anyway.
    Jillintkivan: “…”
  • Seiankornai notes Thurirls’s tail is twitching just a little
  • Seiankornai returns to the group
    Seiankornai: “I presume you could read what I did, Thurirl?”

Player “Seain” is not connected.
You whisper to Seiankornai: translated from Drakish, “Cloud-river’s Delta” …poetic? Sounds like a place name.
You whisper to Thurirl: translated from Drakish, “Cloud-river’s Delta” …poetic? Sounds like a place name.
Thurirl: “Yes, though it was difficult. My people do not use that dialect anymore, if they ever did.”

  • Jillintkivan sniffs at jessaila
  • Jessaila sniffs back at Jillintkivan.
    Jillintkivan: “…elf…”
  • Seiankornai wonders if he and Thurirl came back in time for the explosion
    Jessaila: “Perceptive.”
  • Thurirl is not sure where this situation is going to go…
    Jillintkivan: “…always think they can fix what’s a thousand years broken…”

Jessaila: “Some of us think that. I prefer to try solving more immediate problems.”

  • Jillintkivan fidgets with the curtain – this might be how it got so frayed
  • Thurirl looks ready to intervene if need be, though he’s not reaching for a weapon.
    Jillintkivan: (suspiciously) “What’s that got to do with story telling?”

Jessaila: “We’re searching for information from an old story.”

Jillintkivan: “And this information will kill goblins?”

  • Thurirl holds his tongue, despite his misgivings about lying by omission.
    Jessaila: “It will help us kill many. Perhaps, in time, for us to kill them all.”

Jillintkivan: “…nnnng.”

Jillintkivan: “All…allright…”

  • Jillintkivan is veritably dripping reluctance, but he steps back from the curtain; you can hear him moving deeper inside
  • Jessaila follows, presuming that is an invitation.
    Jillintkivan: (From further in) “Well? You don’t expect me to stand at the entrance all day do you?”
  • Seiankornai hesitates, but steps inside
  • Thurirl follows, now that permission has been given.
  • Malaina gestures for Vari to go in with the others, planning to stay outside
  • Jessaila is already trotting along behind.
  • Vari frowns, snorts and whines, but is the last to go in
  • Isabis follows at the very end, trying to be quiet and unobtrusive as Thurirl has been teaching her
  • Jessaila presses on. If the others are reluctant to follow, meh!
  • Jillintkivan leads you down an oddly curved hallway (that’s pretty normal for a drakish entrance, keeps the windout) to an open area with an assortment of benches and platforms seemingly growing out of the walls and floors; it’s old stonework, but like the arch very well done in the highest pseudo-natural masonry style
  • Jessaila shall not insult the drake by complimenting the decor.
  • Thurirl appreciates their host’s taste, though he says nothing yet. He is certain he is not skilled enough in diplomacy, and besides, Jessaila is handling negotiations.
  • Vari honestly doesn’t see what the big deal is
    Jessaila: “The scroll we’re looking for was divided into four parts by the human who wrote it.”
  • Seiankornai thinks the placeinside looks fairly good, actually
    You whisper to Seiankornai: A ‘flow’ of orangey stone on the floor catches your attention, and you put that together with the oval shape of the chamber and realize this is the ‘head’ of a traditional “Dragons’ Lair” – that is, a drakish home laid out in the shape of a dragon; the receiving room is the head, and behind it will be three clusters of rooms representing the body and wings, respetively, if it’s the fully traditional layout. A back entrance will be the ‘tail’
    Jillintkivan: “Scroll with four chapters. Sounds reeeal dangerous, elf.”

Jessaila: “It was written by a human named Lady Snowblade.”

Jillintkivan: “Yay for her. Did she melt?”

Jessaila: “The contents reveal all she knew about the nature of the Moonpools, through which the goblins come from Underheart.”

Jessaila: “Possibly. I’m unacquainted with her manner of death.”

Jillintkivan: “GOBLIN-BRINGER!”

  • Seiankornai thinks “uh oh”
  • Jillintkivan roars loud enough to make you all wince, and digs his claws in under his seat with a shrieking scrape (nails on chalkboard anyone?)
    Seiankornai: ((I expect drakes probably don’t mind the nails on chalkboard sound, as they probably here it or similar things alot))
  • Vari looks unimpressed by this temper tantrum
    Jessaila: “Yes.”

Jessaila: “We are working to prevent any more goblins from crossing into this world – and perhaps someday we shall take the fight back to them, and destroy them.”

  • Jillintkivan growls
    Jillintkivan: “There’s always someone thinks they can close the moon pool. Always! Rrrrrr. What makes you think you’re any different than the ones 70 years ago?”

Seiankornai: ((we’re PCs, not some nameless NPCs from the past, that’s what))

  • Isabis mutters, “We have 3/4 of the scroll instead of 1/4”
    Jillintkivan: ((BRB))

Jessaila: “We may not be any more blessed in that regard than our predecessors in this quest. But someday, it SHALL be closed. Who’s to say it shan’t be by us?”

Seiankornai: “We have made some progress in this task already. What did those who came before us lack?”

Jessaila: “We have determined to do what we can. A pebble may not turn aside a stream, but a thousand pebbles might.”

  • Jillintkivan gets up and paces restlessly, lashing his tail as he circuits the room
    Jillintkivan: “…don’t have Lady Goblin-bringer’s scroll. Just as well, would’a burned it. What makes you think I have it?”
  • Thurirl is a little distracted. He’s gone back to pondering the name crafted into the ground outside.
    Jessaila: “We were told that you won it from a Matha in a game of riddles.”

Jessaila: ((IIRC?))

Jillintkivan: “…don’t remember. Could be. Used to play the riddle game sometimes to get rid of people.”

Jillintkivan: ((not what I remember, actually…))

Jillintkivan: ((but then, I’m not sure I had the character telling you this stuff fully informed anyhow ))

  • Jillintkivan paces the other way
    Jillintkivan: “What’s it look like?”
  • Seiankornai describes the other fragments we’ve found
  • Thurirl doesn’t know why, but he feels the name they found is important. What could it mean?
    Jillintkivan: "A PIECE OF PAPER! How’m I supposed to find a piece of paper in everything?? I can’t read every piece of paper I own looking for this, this…

Jillintkivan: “Well, I could try. Take forever, though.”

Jillintkivan: “And THEN what? You read it you go and close the salt weep?”

Thurirl: “We are unsure of the exact consequences of using the scroll. We have only the word of scholars that it may provide a solution.”

Jessaila: “Perhaps it could be that simple. I’d doubt it, though.”

Jillintkivan: “It’s only a quarter of a scroll. It’s not a /magic/ scroll is it? You can’t have it.”

  • Jillintkivan shakes his head
    Jessaila: “We can leave it with you, so long as we’re able to transcribe it.”

Jillintkivan: “…so not magic then. That’s ok, maybe. …maybe. Go away. I’ll look for it.”

Thurirl: “You have carved a name into the landscape outside. May we know the reason for it?”

  • Jillintkivan goes suddenly very, very still
    Jillintkivan: “Name of the place… … …I… belong.”

Thurirl: “….I see.”

  • Jillintkivan stands, striken, for a frozen moment…
  • Vari makes his way out
  • Thurirl hopes he did not just destroy their chances for the sake of his curiosity.
    Jillintkivan: (full-out roaring) “GO AWAY!!!!!”
  • Jessaila twitches an ear in curiosity.
    Seiankornai: ((I think you did :P ))

Thurirl: “My apologies. I shall do as you request.”

  • Thurirl makes his way out of the cave, believing he is no longer welcome.
  • Jillintkivan turns and practically flees through the inner door, slamming it with a resounding BOOM before Thurirl can finish his apology
  • Seiankornai steps back
  • Thurirl blinks in surprise, pausing with his mouth open.
    Isabis: “Yikes. Apparently you touched a nerve.”

Thurirl: “………I believe I may have stirred unpleasant memories.”

Isabis: “…didn’t he say he ‘belonged’ in his home?”

  • Vari is glad to be out of that stuffy cave, plopping down in front of Mala who is trimming the ends of her hair
    Thurirl: “He did. Curious.”

Seiankornai: “Perhaps a similar story as Mala’s, but without one to comfort him as she had.”

  • Jessaila half-bows to the drake before departing, walking in a manner of ‘I-don’t-care-if-you’re-yelling-at-me-I’m-going-to-complete-myquest’ fashion.
    Isabis: “Hmm. Maybe we can find out something about it elsewhere. He, ah, doesn’t seem to want to talk about it.”

Isabis: ^ dust-dry irony voice

  • Isabis makes her way back outside, before Jillintkivan gets over his improbable fear(?) and comes to be sure they leave.
    Malaina: “I wouldn’t want to either if all anyone saw it was a story and not a part of who you are.”

Seiankornai: “The landscape makes a rune, which translates to ‘Cloud-river delta’.”

  • Malaina puts her razor away and then puts her hair back up into a ponytail
    Isabis: “Hmm. Sounds like a drake’s idea of a pretty place-name, all right.”
  • Thurirl goes outside as well, not one to tempt fate (or cranky drakes).
  • Isabis gets out her map
    Thurirl: “Are we intending to journey to a place we have only just learned of?”

Isabis: "Well. The local human village is called “Three Springs” – you want to go see how their inn is, maybe come back tomorrow?"

Isabis: "I don’t see any “Cloud-river Delta” on this map."

Thurirl: “It may be old, or perhaps the name of his home that was destroyed.”

Thurirl: “Names change as the locals do, and the language with them.”

Isabis: “Yeah. We can check the library, if Three Springs has one, or write to the drakish royal archives.”

  • Seiankornai tries to recall if he’s ever heard of it from other drakes ((knowledge « 1d20+7+1 = 7 + 7 + 1 = 15 »))
  • Malaina looks at all of them, shakes her head and then hops into Vari’s saddle, “I’m going to fly back to my aunts place, maybe she knows….poor guy, maybe all he needs is someone to talk to…of course, none of that really concerned any of you now, did it?”
  • Vari spreads his wings and flies off
    Isabis: “it would only take four days for the letter to travel from here – benefit of the twice-royal mail system.”

Seiankornai: “That’s probably a good idea, Mala.”

  • Isabis watches Malaina fly off
    Isabis: "That was uncalled for… "
  • Isabis sighs
    Thurirl: “Mmm. And yet, she may have a point. Yet I do not know who would be able to talk with our host and help him deal with his past.”

Isabis: “We have a hard enough time with /her/ and she admits we’re friends.”

Thurirl: “Then we are unsuited to the task.”

Seiankornai: “Perhaps Mala should have been the one to talk to him first.”

Isabis: “Yeah, well, if I was ‘suited’ to politics I’d be in Arun playing secretary to my uncle or something. I went into sunchasing so I /wouldn’t/ have my life depending on other people’s crazy whims all the time. …only just so effective, and no more, I admit.”

  • Seiankornai is regretting his suggestion from earlier
    Jessaila: “Hey, if a drake doesn’t want to talk about the past, then I’m not going to try to dredge it up.”

Jessaila: “But we do have an objective here.”

Isabis: “Well, let’s find somewhere, not on his property mind you, to sleep and think it over.”

Isabis: “Maybe he really will find it.”

Jessaila: “Good enough for me.”

Thurirl: “Indeed. I apologize that my curiosity got the better of me. It was not my intention to compromise our mission.”

Isabis: “Eh…I’m not sure you exactly did. I mean, if it /is/ his old hometown, and goblins did take it, maybe you just added more emphasis to the need and he’ll spend the night tearing his library apart looking for scrolls, eh?”

  • Jillintkivan attempts a difficult task, succeeding on 100 « 1d100 = 98 »
    Seiankornai: “I’m usually an optimist and I think you may be reaching a bit there, Isabis.”

Seiankornai: ((can we AD that? :P ;) ))

Malaina: ((I’ll spend an AD to help it succeed))

Isabis: “…yeah, I’m reaching. But for tonight, let’s get some rest.”

  • Seiankornai leads the way out of the old sad drake’s land
    Isabis: ((nope. Can’t action die the 1-chance-in-a-thousand die roll. Have to RP the difficult part now. ))

Frustrated but not defeated, the party retreats to Three Springs to plot their next move
Game Saved
Log Saved
Thurirl: plotplotplot

Isabis: verily

Dragonhawk: you’ve heard of the wall of text; this was the wall of plot

Thurirl: Preferably to the Wall of Total Party Kill.

Malaina: well, that was fun

Dragonhawk: heh

Thurirl: Indeed. =)

Dragonhawk: so…you all have any ideas what you plan to try next week?

  • Malaina shrugs
    Thurirl: Though I wish I had a better word for Thurirl… XD finding everything so “fascinating”…

Dragonhawk: I mean…/should/ I finish this guy’s combat stats?

Malaina: why would we fight him?

Jessaila: We can invade his cave, fight him, and loot the body.

Malaina: he hasn’t done anything

Malaina: thats just rude

Thurirl: If you want to, but I’m not about to fight some poor ol’ drake who’s lost his home.

Seiankornai: well, Mala will be talking with her Aunt for certain, you mentioned there’s a nearby Matha village, so we can check their for historic clues

Jessaila: In fairness, probably a tough fight for a ridiculous payoff…

Seiankornai: that is rude :P

Thurirl: I say we investigate first. I don’t want to fight this guy unless it’s absolutely necessary.

Dragonhawk: heh

Thurirl: Though that’s more out of a moral imperative than a pragmatic one.

Seiankornai: he’s got wounds that need healing, not finishing off :P

Malaina: i still say he needs someone to talk to, and not to dredge up his past, just to talk to someone that wants to listen, not someone that wants something from him

Thurirl: Agreed. Wish I knew a good therapist or counselor.

Dragonhawk: Like the folks in Faer Padris, you have at least three general options: diplomacy, sneakiness, and frontal assault

Dragonhawk: non-equal options, of course

Thurirl: …… makes off with Option Two

  • Seiankornai votes for diplomacy
    Dragonhawk: and in this case, complicated by the fact that whereas the tolks in Fair padris knew exactly what you wanted and where to find it, Jillinth here is not nearly so organized

Jessaila: Diplomacy is probably going to be the toughest option, but the least morally repugnant.

Jessaila: Which is saying something.

Dragonhawk: oh, by the way, I’ll tell the rest of you something that Seian found obvious, and any Matha would have a reasonable chance of getting on a knowledge check (harder check for others)

  • Seiankornai would like to end up with getting him to smile again
    Jessaila: Well sure, we get at him with riddles.

Dragonhawk: Sein knows, within two or three major variations, how this home is laid out, because it’s a common layout.

Jessaila: Ah, that.

Dragonhawk: heh, it is, very logically called a “Dragons’ Lair”

Dragonhawk: as opposed to a “Crescent Lair” or a “Starcross Lair” you see

Thurirl: Of course. X3

Seiankornai: as the floor plan resembles a dragon

Thurirl: Oh! Is it shaped like a dragon then?

Dragonhawk: Mhmm

Thurirl: Hah, got it. X3

Dragonhawk: so the receiving room is the head, and it’s where you bring people to talk

Dragonhawk: a back entrance usually forms the tail

Dragonhawk: the body will have the utility areas

Dragonhawk: and either one or two wings represent the wings and contain rooms with higher functions

Dragonhawk: if it conforms to the typical, anyway

Dragonhawk: Anyway, tune in next week to hear Jillinth say, “Scroll, yeah,I got lots of scrolls, found hundreds of scrolls – quarters of scrolls I didn’t find.”

Watcher is disconnected.
Malaina is disconnected.

Log 107
Log 109

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 108

Sunchasers DH The_Grand_User