Log 30

Main Page
Logs Index
Log 29

You are 5 days along in a 7 day waiting period, and some fun has been had – also some profit, and a little wild goose chasing.

  • Thurirl continues to keep a low profile, which isn’t so hard for him.
    It’s morning at the inn – not /early/ morning, but not so late that they won’t serve you breakfast food. Most of you are in fact breakfasting.
  • Seiankornai wonders if there’s another group of Sunchasers in town as well
  • Grok wanders around looking for trouble or something interesting. Not that he doesn’t find trouble interesting.
    The innkeeper gave you a note from your charce last night, informing you that he has decided to stop in Faer Padris on the upriver trip (instead of going all the way to Caskannath); you may stop there or continue on your employer’s dime, since this is a revision of the contract.
  • Thurirl eats his daily meal of fresh meat prepared in the traditional way.
    Fall is starting to shade into winter, though up north here it never gets all that cold ((you are in the southern hemisphere))
  • Seiankornai observes the preparation of said meat, interested in how the Vessa do so
  • Malaina is hoping it won’t get too cold
  • Thurirl pauses and gives the Drake a look.
    Jessaila: ((Raw?))
    Seiankornai: “What? It’s meat. I like meat.”
    Thurirl: “Be that as it may, it is mine. I confess I feel a little hostile and nervous with another predator observing my dinner habits.”
  • Vari enjoying whatever meat the cooks gave him
    Seiankornai: “I’m just intereest in how it was prepared, I know it’s yours, and that if I thought otherwise you’d educate me on the matter.”
    Isabis: ((Drakes often have “goat quarters” …it’s kind of like when humans are served “chicken quarters” ))
    Thurirl: “It is a simple process, as you can see.”
  • Thurirl indicates the cuts of raw meat covered in salt and spices, just enough to flavor it.
    Thurirl: “The difficult part is attaining the proper temperature without cooking the meat. Doing so alters the flavor.”
    Seiankornai: “Ah.”
    Isabis: “We should think about what we want to do after we get the honored scholar to Faer Padris. Should we stop there? He’ll need to know so he can buy the right tickets.”
    Thurirl: “While the meat would be quite delicious and flavorful cooked, especially in these spices, I prefer it raw. It reminds me of home, which I do not see very much these days.”
    Seiankornai: “We’re not too far from it, are we?”
  • Jessaila observes. “It’s interesting – Vessa do their meet similar to us Sharos, but we cook it a lot more, and use four times the seasonings.”
    Seiankornai: “There’s two days left before we leave, I bet I could fly you over there!”
    Malaina: “Why don’t we stop there? Not like we will be paying for it and it should be interesting.”
  • Thurirl makes a face of disgust at Jessaila’s description… which doesn’t look much different from his usual face.
    Seiankornai: “They probably learned it from them when they first arrived in our world.”
  • Jessaila laughs at the face.
    Isabis: “…and decided the ‘raw’ bit needed some adjusting, yes.”
    Jessaila: “Yes. Carnivores can enjoy it raw, but we omnivores need a bit of help.”
    Isabis: “Although I’ve heard of people eating fish that way, with the right spices.”
  • Malaina just waits
    Isabis: “Anyhow. Do you all want to find the nearest sunpool after we get paid, or hire on for river guards again? Or shall we take a break?”
    Thurirl: “I suppose it would be difficult to appreciate a dish that may prove more alive then one’s digestive tract can handle. A pity. Many of our dishes are quite good, and better when the meat is fresh.”
    Isabis: ((you should plan on at least a week of downtime there, and may get up to a month if you’d rather))
    Grok: ((Grok votes for closer to the month
    Seiankornai: “Maybe we could stop in Faer Padris, it’d be interesting to visit a major human city.”
    Jessaila: “I’ve never been there, myself.”
    Isabis: ((indentally, be aware that I am timing this session by the real clock; something happens at the turn of the hour))
    Jessaila: ((Uh oh.))
  • Isabis gives Seian an odd look
    Isabis: “SAeian, this IS a major human city. Different subculture, of course.”
  • Malaina never really ventured all that far from the Black Peaks
    Thurirl: “I don’t not recall visiting that city in my travels. I believe a visit there would be quite fascinating.”
    Isabis: “I admit, I’ve always wanted to visit the Library of Kings, and all the korret that hang out there, but I’ve never found an opportunity as yet.”
    Malaina: “So, is that a vote to stop at Faer Padris?”
    Jessaila: “It is from me.”
  • Grok hurries up in his efforts to find trouble in his current location
    Isabis: “And from me.”
    Thurirl: “I also vote to stop.”
    Grok: ((Grok, when asked, also likes the sound of Faer Padris))
    You whisper to Grok: There’s a lot of humans getting real excited near the docks…
  • Grok goes down to the docks
    You whisper to Grok: Lots of people talk loudly in Melios, waving their hands in gestures indicating something large – no larger! You’d think it was fishermen telling each other what got away, but they seem more upset than that.
    Isabis: “So how long do you want to stay, then? Long enough to find another guard slot, or long enough to get a feel for the city?”
  • Grok looks for a halfling to translate as to what happened down by the docks
    Seiankornai: “That is true that this is one of their major cities, Isabis, but I can still fly up not too high and see it’s limits. I’ve heard from some of my friends who visited Fear Padros that you have to fly up very, very high before you can catch sight of the edge.”
    Dragonhawk: Grok, roll investigate per page 76, Canvassing
  • Malaina blinks and looks around “Where is Grok?”
  • Thurirl finishes up his meal and looks ready to go at a moment’s notice.
    Seiankornai: “Ummmm, I think we lost track of him…”
    Dragonhawk: ((er, ignoring the time values on that table))
    Seiankornai: “Shall we go on a new quest, The Search For Grok?”
  • Malaina sighs and stands up from her seat
    Grok: « 1d20+1 = 19 + 1 = 20 »
    Thurirl: “He cannot have gotten far. We should be able to find him easily enough.”
    Isabis: “Heh. Sure. Let’s search the market! We might find something else interesting while we’re at it.”
    Seiankornai: “It shouldn’t be too hard to find an ogre with a cannon strapped to his back.”
    Thurirl: “If all else fails, we can simply wait until a calamity occurs, then follow it to its source.”
    You whisper to Grok: You find a pair of halfling merchants and their translator just in time to catch the story as told to them: apparently the docks are in an uproar over the sinking of a ship by water serpents a but closer to the delta.
  • Grok asks the halfings for the direction to where the ship is
    You whisper to Grok: On one hand, shippers are worried about reports that the serpents in question were huge – Huge! – and still at large. On the other hand, a lot of people are hoping the insurance company will write off the cargo, freeing the enterprising to dive for it themselves and keep their finds.
    MeliosInterpreter: “What the – don’t sneak up on people like that! Didn’t your mother teach you not to eavesdrop on people?!?”
    Grok: W “Where ship go down? Grok go help.”
  • MeliosInterpreter jumped nearly out of his skin when the ogre suddenly entered the conversation
    Seiankornai: ((I take it this is a meanwhile with Grok))
    MeliosInterpreter: ((yes))
    Grok: ((Something like that.))
    MeliosInterpreter: “North-east about a half hour they tell us. I don’t know more detail than that, but as soon as the Insurance underwriters decide whether to salvage or write-off, there will be lots of people going there.”
    Grok: W “Any survivors need rescuing?”
    MeliosInterpreter: “Nah, everyone’s off. It sank last night. Some people are talking about finding those sunchasers that’ve been hanging around the temple quarter and asking them to hunt the serpents, though.”
  • Isabis pauses to examine armor in the market square
    Isabis: “Hmm. No ogres hiding behind this stand. Ooh, nice bracers.”
    Grok: W “Grok need boat for serpent hunting.”
    Isabis: “Talk to…eh…hmm. I don’t see where they went.”
    Isabis: (( >.))
    MelioInterpreter: “Talk to…eh…hmm. I don’t see where they went.”
  • MelioInterpreter looks around for someone
  • Jessaila looks at armour with Isabis.
    MelioInterpreter: “Well, the dockmaster would know if anyone’s getting up a hunt. Wild goose chase if you ask me, there’s always serpents around the delta. They come in from the mirror, and go back out on their own as often as not.”
  • Thurirl prefers to slink through the crowd, remaining unnoticed and listening to snatches of conversation.
  • Grok asks where dockmaster is
    Player “Thuril” is not connected.
    You whisper to Thurirl: You mostly succeed…except for that excentric-looking guy with the sign, standing on a busy corner of the marketplace getting ignored. He’s starring at you. You have no idea how he’s keeping track of you at all.
  • MelioInterpreter points out the dockmaster’s “hut”
    MelioInterpreter: ((is anyone still in the tavern?))
    Jessaila: ((I’m not.))
    Malaina: ((I thought we were all out looking for Grok))
  • Grok goes over to the hut looking for dockmaster
  • Thurirl gets the disturbing feeling that someone is actually tracking him. A disconcerting turn of events.
    As you approach the docks, (or the dockmaster’s hut in Grok’s case) a loud cheer goes up on one of the piers. Disgruntled-looking men in business attire depart the epicenter of the noise, and the crowd begins to break up, adding a lot more “excited” to the existing “worried” mood of the docks.
  • Seiankornai is flying overhead, keeping an eye out for the ogre
  • Malaina wonders what is going on
  • Thurirl hears the noise and heads that way, hoping to lose his pursuer in the crowd.
    Player “Seain” is not connected.
    Seain can see Grok two piers down from the center of the crowd, approachign the dockmaster’s office.
    He can also see people running to ships, taverns, and other sites, spreading some kind of news.
  • Malaina tries to stop someone to see what is going on
  • Seiankornai swoops around to go back to the others and makes a flyby shout, “I found him, he’s down a couple mroe docks!”
    On the ground, you can learn this news by ducking into any tavern or keeping your ears open: a trade ship sank (bad) at the coils of water serpents (really bad) but the insurance company has written it off, (good?) so treasure hunters can dive for the cargo if they want to (that’s what the cheering was about).
  • Seiankornai flies up high again and then angles to intercept Grok
  • Thurirl notes the news and keeps heading for the docks… hoping he’s not being followed anymore.
    From high up, Seian can just spot a red bouy (spelling?) off to the NE
    Jessaila: ((Buoy.))
    Isabis: ((ah, right. Thanks))
  • Seiankornai noted somethign was going on, but has no idea as to what, at least not till he lands in front of Grok and then gets some clues
    From water level, Seian can hear Grok trying to converse with the dockmaster without an interpreter
    Seiankornai: W “What are you doing, wandering off alone?”
    Isabis: ((Grok not baby, not need baby-minder ))
    Grok: W “Big seaserpents need squishing. You coming to help squish?”
    Seiankornai: ((Grok scare the real baby-minders without his handlers :P ;) ))
    Seiankornai: W “Sea serpents? What ever for?”
    Grok: W “They attack ship. People need a hero. People need a Grok.”
    Dockmaster: “You can talk to him? Please, master drake, tell me what he’s trying to get at!”
  • Seiankornai looks around at the totally not terrified people, “Yes, I’m sure they do. But what are you doing exactly?”
    Grok: W “Grok need ship to go get to drakes.”
    The people in the crowd are not terrified…but some of the folks by the ships look decidedly stressed
    Grok: ((err, sea serphents))
    Seiankornai: W “… Teh drakes are a long way away in the mountains. Did you mean the sea serpents?”
    Seiankornai: W “Granted, many of my kin could help, but I doubt they’d all want to come all this way.”
    Grok: W “We not need more drakes. We have me.”
  • Isabis sees Seian over the crowd and heads towards him, leading the rest of the group as necessary
  • Malaina follows after
  • Seiankornai glances down and realizes Grok was trying to talk to the dockmaster, “Ah, excuse me, but we had lost track of our friend here. What’s going on?”
  • Seiankornai spots them and waves a wing
  • Jessaila follows along.
    Dockmaster: "Eh, some serpents sank a trade ship. It happens maybe two, three times a year. If the water’s shallow and the wreck isn’t too silted up, they hire people to salvage the cargo; when conditions make it too expensive they write it off and the local “treasure hunters” have a field day diving for bits and pieces."
    Dockmaster: “That’s what the crowd and the cheering is about. This one’s a write-off, so all the diving teams are going out to find out what’s retrievable. Sounds like a really eclectic load, maybe some of them will get somethign useful and not too ruined.”
  • Thurirl arrives while the dockmaster is talking, sidling up right next to Grok and standing as if he had always been there.
    Grok: ((And no one notices either way…))
  • Malaina shows up a little bit after Thurirl does
    Dockmaster: “For the river traders and other ship owners, though, they’re all in a knot over the serpents and afraid to leave port. Who knows if the scorched things are even still around? Every stinking time…”
    Thurirl: ((Pretty much. .))
  • Dockmaster trails off muttering about cowards and shortage of ancorage
    Dockmaster: “Ahem. Anyway, some of them are making noise about asking those sunchasers that’ve been hanging around the temple quarter to go hunt the serpents, but hunt them where says I? It’s a big river. But I sent a runner up to that inn they’ve been seen at to ask ’em all the same.”
    Seiankornai: “Oh, that’s us.”
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur eyes the water suspiciously
    Dockmaster: “Oh! Well, if you want to go serpent-hunting, we’ll pay bounty on any heads bigger’n this…”
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “and people are diving in that?”
  • Dockmaster points to a bronze serpent-head over his door
  • Thurirl examines the head carefully to fix the size of it in his mind.
    Grok: W “Grok could dive too. Get loot.”
    Dockmaster: “…but if you ask me, you’d have better profit from diving – yes, in this, though the ship is more in the main channel, so it’s a smidge clearer there.”
    Dockmaster: “Er. …truth be told, I’d rather you went out to the wreck for another reason too. Wild treasure hunters don’t always have safety first in mind, and might look tasty to a big water-snake, you know? It’d be a load off my mind if someone with a sense of self-preservation was there in case of emergency.”
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur shudders
    Seiankornai: “Hmm, how are the wild treasure hunters in relation to each other?”
  • Dockmaster whispers “I’ll give you a silver each to go and pretend it was your own idea. I don’t want the sailors’ guild on my back about diverting you, see.”
  • Thurirl stands quietly and listens to the dockmaster.
    Dockmaster: “Each other? Competitive, but not so much as to be putting blades in each other’s backs. Usually.”
    Dockmaster: “I don’t think this ship was carrying anything unusual that way. We had some trouble once when they got a gold shipment, but that wasn’t written off, either, and out-and-out thieves are a different issue altogether.”
  • Dockmaster suddenly notices Thurirl “Gah! How long have you been there?!?”
  • Jessaila sees no reason to object to this idea.
    Seiankornai: “He’s probably been there awhile.”
    Thurirl whispers: Is that guy still following me?
    Grok: W “How we get there?”
    Isabis: “Tell you what, Jamshid, you can stay up in the boat and play lifeguard, someone else can dive.”
    You whisper to Thurirl: roll spot
    Thurirl: “I have been observing the conversation for… a sufficient length of time.”
    You whisper to Thurirl: Er, search in this case
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “How about I stay here on the docks and ‘play lifeguard’ (whatever that means)…
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: …there is no way I’m going out in or among serpent-infested waters …. how do you know what lurks beneath?”
    Seiankornai: “Not interested in meeting a big snake?”
  • Seiankornai examines the bronze head, “Eh, they’re probably smaller than me.”
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “If the snake comes here on firm ground I’d be happy to make it’s acquaintance”
    Seiankornai: “Just a little, though.”
  • Grok appears anxious to get off and protect the treasure hunters and fight the sea snakes
    Isabis: “All those people wouldn’t be going swimming and diving if it was likely that a serpent would show up. The wreck happened nearly 12 hours ago. Strap on your courage, sand man!”
  • Thurirl looks for his earlier pursuer. (Search: « 1d20+10 = 19 + 10 = 29 » )
    You whisper to Thurirl: You see him, closer actually, sticking his head and a corner of the sign out from behind the nearest warehouse. He looks awestruck, and he’s still looking right at you.
    You whisper to Thurirl: He’s a terrible sneak
    Seiankornai: “How deep are the waters out there right now? Low tide, high tide?”
  • Thurirl looks over at the corner of a warehouse, giving it his sternest gaze.
    Dockmaster: “Tides outbound and not quite to low, but we don’t get a very big drop this far up the delta anyhow.”
  • CrazySignGuy nods solemnly at Thurirl
  • Thurirl faceclaws.
    Seiankornai: ((do I notice that Thurirl seems preoccupied? « 1d20+7 = 15 + 7 = 22 »))
    Seiankornai: “What is it, Thurirl?”
    CrazySignGuy: ((I think so. I’d give it a DC of 20 to notice anything about Thurirl, but you made that.))
    Thurirl: “I apologize, but I must… look in to a certain matter. I shall return when I am done.”
  • Thurirl wears his fiercest look and heads for the Crazy Sign Guy. He looks like he’s determined to get some answers.
  • Malaina watchs him, looking concerned
  • CrazySignGuy stops trying (failing) to hide, and just stands there waiting while Thurirl approaches
  • CrazySignGuy speaks when Thurirl is within reasonable conversational distance
  • Seiankornai is confused by Thurirl’s behavior (more than usually)
  • Thurirl walks up within reach of his own claws, looking (down?) at this fool. “May I assist you?”
    CrazySignGuy: “The light is on you, shadow-seeker.”
    Thurirl: “…I have never sought the shadows. They were always there for me.”
  • CrazySignGuy shrugs
    Thurirl: “Is there some business you have with me?”
    CrazySignGuy: “The light is on you.”
  • CrazySignGuy looks around Thurirl at the rest of the group
    Thurirl: “…….indeed. And does this ‘light’ have a name?”
    CrazySignGuy: “It is on some of those, too. But I saw it on you first.”
    Seiankornai: (do we see his sign?)
    CrazySignGuy: “It’s more noticable when you’re not in the sunlight. The light disguises the light, you see.”
  • Thurirl looks up to the sign to see what it reads.
    CrazySignGuy: ((you see Thurirl talking to a ragged oldish human with a rough sign.))
  • Jessaila reads the sign.
    The sign reads “Avva is under judgement – seek the mercy of the judge” in crookedly stenciled letters
    Thurirl whispers: Am I familiar with that name?
    Thurirl: “Fascinating.”
    You whisper to Thurirl: It doesn’t look like a name per say, more of a title. You get the sense the guy’s not quite tracking the conversation normally.
    You whisper to Thurirl: Or did you mean “Avva” ? That’s the sun “god” who burned the desert into being and destroyed the elven nation.
    Thurirl whispers: Yeah, that one. Avva. I don’t know it, but Thurirl might.
  • Jessaila moves closer.
    Seiankornai: “Hmm, why would that be, I wonder, and who would do the judging?”
    Thurirl: “A strange thought… who, exactly, would have the right to judge a god?”
    Dragonhawk: ((Keep in mind, the Gronver is the big hotbed of Avva-particular religion. This guy can’t be popular around here.))
    Thurirl: “I am amazed you are still alive. You cannot be well-loved by the people in this city.”
  • Thurirl decides to test something and looks for a shadow to step into…
    CrazySignGuy: “The creator speaks, I obey. Who is Avva to ignore the creator? But all I am told to do is make the words known. I don’t have to fight over them.”
    CrazySignGuy: “They think I’m crazy.”
  • CrazySignGuy watches Thurirl
  • Thurirl steps into a shadow, though he frowns at the mention of a “creator”.
  • Jessaila creeps closer. “So, um. Who’s the judge?”
    None of the rest of you see anything odd about Thurirl except that he’s talking to a crazy street guy for some reason.
  • CrazySignGuy watches Thurirl
    CrazySignGuy: “You seek a shadow?”
    Seiankornai: “It might be your appeance. So who exactly is this ‘creator’?”
    CrazySignGuy: “The….the creator is the creator.”
  • CrazySignGuy looks vaguely confused by the question
    Thurirl: “I am merely testing your words. You claim the light hides the light. Is it more visible now?”
    CrazySignGuy: “Oh. Yes. It’s easier to see in shadows.”
    Nobody but the guy with the sign sees any light on Thurirl
  • Thurirl is a little confused, yet interested. “Fascinating.”
    Seiankornai: “Do you mean Morru? Oh, wait, of course, The Faces of Creation whom the dwarves revere.”
    CrazySignGuy: “No!”
    Thurirl: “A new and unheard of religion then? I must confess, it does peak my curiosity.”
    CrazySignGuy: “Not the masks. The creator himself.”
    Grok: ((Grok is going to have to go to bed soon, fyi.))
    Thurirl: “…masks?”
    CrazySignGuy: ((heh, I didn’t expect this bit to distract people for quite so long. What do you all want to do next, out to the sunken ship?))
    Seiankornai: “Interesting, that is a new way to put it.”
    Malaina: ((You know alot of things distract them))
    CrazySignGuy: ((if people need to leave, we can leaved the crunchy bits of that for next week))
    Jessaila: “Do you know the name?”
    CrazySignGuy: ((just so I know which scenario to set up.))
    Seiankornai: ((sure, ship next week, world discovering tonight :P ;) ))
    Thurirl: ((world discovering?))
  • Seiankornai translates for Grok what the man is saying, if Grok followed us
  • CrazySignGuy shrugs at Jessail “He never told me a name.”
    Grok: ((Ship discovering more important. It has see serphents.))
    Seiankornai: ((rather than world building))
    CrazySignGuy: “….he told me to hold the sign in the market. I suppose I should go back to the market with it.”
    Grok: ((Grok doesn’t follow. Grok doesn’t see a ship or serphent in CrazyGuy’s direction.))
  • Jessaila thinks.
    Thurirl: “This is most strange. I may need to investigate this further. That is, when business permits.”
    Jessaila: “I hope then that the Creator rewards your efforts, sir.”
    Grok has found a barge going out to the wreck with someone he can talk to aboard. Now he just has to convince them to let him on.
  • Thurirl realizes something.
    Thurirl: “This light… you called me seeker of shadows… yet I never sought out this light.”
  • CrazySignGuy bows to you all and turns back towards the market.
    Seiankornai: “Sought of the light?”
  • CrazySignGuy says over his shoulder, “The creator puts his light on you. He doesn’t always wait for you to ask.”
  • Thurirl blinks. “He… I… what do you mean? Why do you persist in riddles?!”
    RandomPedestrian: “Leave the visitors alone, you nutcase!”
    Jessaila: “You know, that’s… surprisingly providential.”
  • Seiankornai gives the random pedestrian a look “I find him intrigueing.”
  • CrazySignGuy is gone, more or less, out of speaking distance and cut off by the crowd.
    You whisper to Grok: roll diplomacy or haggle to secure spots on the barge for yourself and the party.
  • Thurirl is speechless.
    Seiankornai: “Oh well, we can find him again. He said he’d be in the market. But right now we have an ogre pushing his way on a barge with the guy yelling.”"
  • Thurirl continues to stare after the man long after he loses sight of him.
    You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: If you are refusing to go out on the water, you have two days downtime to make ordinary downtime checks in.
  • Malaina puts her hand on Thurirl’s shoulder
    Thurirl: “I…”
    Malaina: “Let’s go…”
    Isabis: “I’m just amazed he actually noticed Thurirl standing there.”
  • Thurirl closes his eyes and makes an effort of will, sighing to himself.
    Thurirl: “My apologies… I confess… I believe his words were… have left me somewhat confused and uncertain.”
    Thurirl: “However. I will not let it distract from my duties. I will pursue him further when time permits.”
    Malaina: “Well, it won’t do you any good to stand here and ponder them….Grok is getting into trouble again.”
    Isabis: “Yes, well. Are we taking the dockmaster’s silver, then?”
    Thurirl: “Indeed. Let us be off. I have subdued the thoughts for now.”
  • Seiankornai dashes over to Grok and the bargeman’s aid
    Isabis: “I’m not certain I qualify as a lifeguard, but I can throw a rope with teh best of them.”
    Jamshid par-Bahadur whispers: ok
    Grok: W “I be Captain Grok, yes?”
    The barge owner is speaking only slightly garbled Woanish to Grok. He wants a passenger fee.
    Grok: W “He giving me a boat.”
    BargeCaptain: “No I Am NOT. This is my barge, I’M the captain!”
  • Thurirl sighs and shakes his head. “I see my visitor did not dissuade the ogre from being his usual self.”
    Grok: W “But you follow my orders, yes?”
    Seiankornai: “He wants to be paid, Grok.”
  • BargeCaptain points vigorously but not quite threateningly at Grok to punctuate his statements
    BargeCaptain: “YOU are a Passenger, and passengers PAY the captain for passage! Double, if they’re oversized, and YOU ARE!”
    Grok: W “What about glory of serving under Grok? That not enough?”
    BargeCaptain: “I’m not SERVING under… you know what? Go find another diving platform. We’re full.”
  • Malaina sighs and rolls her eyes
  • Seiankornai doesn’t know whether to try to correct Grok, or just watch
  • Thurirl looks a bit amused, though he doesn’t quite yet understand Grok’s language.
    BargeCaptain: ((impress or haggle to change his mind ))
    Malaina: ((Who? All of us?))
    Grok: ((I think any of us who want to save the situation.))
    BargeCaptain: ((anyone who wants to try, roll a check and say something reasonably convincing ))
    Malaina: ((I could try to roll, but if it is bad, I’m not saying anything nor do I wish for my character to be talked down to))
    BargeCaptain: ((you’d have to roll a 1 to come off sounding crazier than Grok right now ))
    Malaina: « 1d20+10 = 10 + 10 = 20 » Impress
    Grok: ((ha! You’d have to roll a 0 to sound crazier!))
    BargeCaptain: ((also, ending in no later than 28 minues so people can get to bed before midnight))
    BargeCaptain: ((OK, Malaina, talk))
    BargeCaptain: « 1d20+3 = 16 + 3 = 19 » resolve
  • Malaina using her Charming special
    Thurirl: ((looks like she just manages to convince him… orrrrrr maybe more than that))
    BargeCaptain: ((OK, you succeed whenever you tell us what you said ))
  • Grok checks to make sure he still has some seamonster bait left over
    Grok: ((Say “You will make Grok captain.”))
    Malaina: “I do apoligize about the ogre captain, he can be a bit….much to handle. We would be ever so grateful if you would let us aboard your ship to go diving.”
    BargeCaptain: “What’s that? It smells like some fish somebody forgot to salt!”
    Malaina: (Not on your life)
  • BargeCaptain looks at Malaina
  • Malaina gives him a smile and tilts her head a little
    Grok: ((Hey, it’s hard to sink a barge. I want to give it a shot.))
    Thurirl: ((noooooooo…. nononononononono…..))
    BargeCaptain: “Oh, you’re one of those sunchasers aren’t you? Wait, how many is ‘us’?”
    Thurirl: ((we don’t want you making our fortunes shrink))
    Seiankornai: “I’ll be flying, but the rest of them at least.”
  • BargeCaptain looks around “Oh! You’re those sunchasers they wanted to hunt the serpents!”
    Seiankornai: “Oh, and she’ll probably be flying on him.” pointing to Mala and Vari
    Malaina: “There are 6 of us and 2 drakes that will be flying.”
    Malaina: “Yes, I will be lfying.”
  • BargeCaptain looks like he’s adding 2+2+2 = 60
    Thurirl: “Indeed. And we have a desire to hire your services for the time being.”
    Seiankornai: “The ogre just likes to think himself, um, special, since he’s trying to make a new trend for heroic ogres.”
    BargeCaptain: “Oh, well then. I would be honored to have you aboard. No serpent’s going to get a bite outta Flatso with sunchasers aboard!”
  • Malaina gives the captain a big, charming grin
  • BargeCaptain moves aside and lets everyone on
  • Jessaila thinks to herself “Oh dear.”
    Malaina: “Thank you so much captain!”
  • Isabis looks back at Jamshid
    Isabis: “Are you coming?”
    Grok: ((He named his boat Flatso? No way Grok is ever going to captain that."
  • Thurirl moves onto the barge without making much noise.
    Thurirl: ((the man is not paid for his creativity =P))
    Isabis: ((Score one for creative naming then __
    Isabis: ))
    Isabis: ((and barges being what they are, the owners of more agile craft think his name very fitting ))
  • Malaina goes and hops onto Vari’s saddle and blows the captain a friendly kiss before having him take off
  • BargeCaptain stares after Vari, then catches himself staring and blushes
  • Grok lumbers on board as well
    BargeCaptain: “Ahem. All aboard for salvaging diving…cast-off in 5 minutes!”
  • Jessaila says “Oh dear” aloud this time.
    Thurirl: “Is something amiss, Jessaila?”
    Jessaila: “Not yet, no.”
  • Seiankornai leaps off the pier himself, the wind of his wings blowing all your hair around (of those who have hair) and flies high over the water
    Grok: ((I offically have to go to bed. In the mean time, Grok will be trying to put out sea bait stealthily when we get in deep enough water, and try other means of attracting sea monsters.))
    Grok: ((night all))
    Grok is disconnected.
    The barg casts off, and his regular crew promptly identify themselves by producing long pole oars and guiding the craft into the main channel.
    It’s more like 45 minutes before you reach the site, easily identifiable by the red buoy and half a dozen small craft trailing ropes into the water.
  • BargeCaptain gets the barge positioned and arranges his load so that when some 20 people rush to the edge nearest the wreck and start tying ropes to whatever offers itself the barge stays mostly balanced.
  • Isabis fingers the silver coin the dockmaster gave her, and proceeds to check the divers, making sure everyone has a safety line and all of the lines are tied to the boat itself (not somethign that might be dragged overboard)
  • Thurirl observes the people and location, staying alert for any threats.
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((I’ve got to get to sleep too, and since I’m not on the boat you won’t need me anyway … night all))
    Isabis: ((Goodnight))
  • Vari circling above, watching
    Malaina: ((Night))
  • Isabis finally ties a line or two for the group.
    Isabis: “So…anyone want to go swimming?”
    Jessaila: “I suppose.”
    Thurirl: “I will join you. I require an activity to take my mind off of… recent events.”
  • Jessaila strips down to a garb which is suitable for swimming.
  • Seiankornai keeps an eye out on the water far below, particularly for large moving shadows (« 1d20+7 = 10 + 7 = 17 » notice)
    Isabis: ((make a swim check, followed by resolve check))
    Isabis: ((in the same post would be easiest for me))
    Seiankornai: ((swim = athletics))
    Jessaila: ((Swim = athletics, right?))
    Isabis: ((yes))
    Jessaila: « 1d20+1 = 9 + 1 = 10 » Athletics
    Jessaila: « 1d20 = 20 » Resolve
  • Malaina also keeping an eye from above
  • Jessaila is clearly highly resolved to go swimming.
  • Thurirl also strips down, looking forward to another swim.
    jessaila’s container: « 1d20 = 20 »
    Jessaila finds a Large chest
    Thurirl: Athletics: « 1d20+2 = 13 + 2 = 15 » Resolve: « 1d20+5 = 10 + 5 = 15 »
  • Jessaila ties her rope to the chest.
  • Jessaila returns to the surface. “Up rope, I’ve got something.”
    Jamshid par-Bahadur is disconnected.
    Seiankornai: ((GM is currently afk))
  • Thurirl enjoys the feel of the cool water around him as he dives down.
    thurirl’s art « 1d20 = 20 »
    Thurirl locates a picture, well protected from the water in a wax-coated tube. Unrolling it reveals a wood-block print of a sunrise over the delta, numbered 385 and woth « 1d20*5 = 1 * 5 = 5 » silver
    Isabis: ((not a popular artist apparently ))
    Thurirl: “Fascinating. Yet, a rather amateur attempt at the sunrise.”
    Jessaila: ((Did we get the chest up?))
  • Isabis helps haul up the first two finds, then takes a turn diving herself, swimming « 1d20+2 = 11 + 2 = 13 » and persisting « 1d20+10 = 14 + 10 = 24 »
    isabis’s art « 1d20 = 14 » worth « 1d20*5 = 4 * 5 = 20 »
    You suddenly hear someone shout “LOOK OUT!” followed by a very large splash.
    Jessaila: “Look out WHERE?”
  • Thurirl whirls on the sound, crouching into an attack stance.
    Isabis finds a large pot with a sealing lid and fancy decorative glaze worth 20s
    Moments later, Seian emerges from the water, clutching a large fish.
  • Malaina facepalms
    Thurirl: “…..”
    Isabis: “Seian! Don’t scare us like that!”
    Jessaila: “Seian!”
    Thurirl: “If you wanted breakfast, you should have purchased a meal before we left.”
    Seiankornai: “Oh, sorry. But this sifh was about to get away.”
    Seiankornai: “This isn’t breakfast, this is dinner.”
    You whisper to Jessaila: Your find turns out to be empty…it’s a brand new chest being taken to sale in the city.
    Thurirl: “Indeed. However, perhaps a modicom of warning for the less Drake-prepared on your next dive?”
    Seiankornai: *fish
    Malaina: “Seian, next time, do that where you won’t endanger everyone else!”
    Seiankornai: “Ok, ok, sorry.”
    You whisper to Malaina: If you want to treasure-hunt, you may substitute Vari’s checks for Malaina’s.
    You whisper to Malaina: Should you prefer
  • Seiankornai kills the fish and sets it on the barge. He then slips into the water, his head and wingtips bobbing up later as he paddles himself around
    Thurirl: “I believe we may have created a new water hazard for the divers.”
    Thurirl: “If anyone inquires, we should deny any and all knowledge of him.”
  • Malaina has Vari circle down and then carefully land into the water, paddling so he is next to the barge
  • Grok_GM takes a break from trying to bait seamonsters and brings up a crate: swim « 1d20+10 = 5 + 10 = 15 » resolve « 1d20+2 = 5 + 2 = 7 »
    Grok’s find: valued goods « 1d20 = 17 »
    Thurirl: ((oh dear; we’ll have to keep the bard from singing about this part))
    Seiankornai: ((did the ship have another cannon he could salvage? :P ))
    Grok finds a crate of mancles. (( O.o ))
  • Malaina watchs everything from Vari’s saddle
    Two hours pass. Malaina fishes out a swimmer who found another chest like Jessaila’s but wasn’t smart enough to bring it up on the rope. Isabis catches a toddler trying to follow Seian’s fishing example. Everyone gets hot and most of you get wet.
    There is not the slightest sign of water serpents. The divers have scared off a lot of the regular fish and eels and so forth too, for that matter.
  • Thurirl prefers to spend most of his time in the water to avoid overheating. Besides, he doesn’t get to swim enough.
  • Malaina helps the swimmer onto the barge and puts the chest with whatever else was hauled up
    Grok_GM: ((anyone who wants to try can make a check for the next two hours now))
    Malaina: ((Check for what?))
    Thurirl: ((serpents?))
  • Grok_GM takes another break from trying to bait seamonsters and looks for something: swim « 1d20+10 = 13 + 10 = 23 » resolve « 1d20+2 = 4 + 2 = 6 »
    Thurirl: ((is reminded of that bird from Alice in Wonderland))
    Grok_GM: ((no, I mean to find “treasure” or at least interesting cargo
    Malaina: ((I could try to roll for Notice))
    Thurirl: Athletics: « 1d20+2 = 12 + 2 = 14 » Resolve: « 1d20+5 = 7 + 5 = 12 »
    Grok_GM: ((you find something if you try; the rolls tell me what it is, not whether you find anything))
    Malaina: ((So roll Notice?)
    Thurirl: ((athletics and resolve, I think))
    Thurirl: ((depends on who’s doing the swimming though))
    Malaina: Athletics « 1d20+7 = 17 + 7 = 24 » Resolve « 1d20+13 = 1 + 13 = 14 »
  • Grok_GM finds a padded tin containing 4 unbroken vial(s) of viatilty potion
    Jessaila: « 1d20+1 = 9 + 1 = 10 » Swim « 1d20 = 5 » Resolve
    Grok finds a padded tin containing 4 unbroken vial(s) of viatilty potion
    Malaina: ((do I need to roll again?))
    Malaina also finds a padded tin, containing 4 unbroken vials of healing potion
    Thurirl: ((nah, don’t think so))
  • Malaina sits on the edge of the barge, totally soaked, looking at what she found
    Jessaila’s find « 1d20 = 18 »
    Jessaila finds a bottle of dwarven brandy (( 6 servings ))
  • Thurirl spots something and seeks it out.
  • Isabis dives in again, swimming « 1d20+2 = 9 + 2 = 11 » and persisting « 1d20+10 = 12 + 10 = 22 »
  • Malaina goes diving again, Athletics « 1d20+7 = 20 + 7 = 27 » Resolve « 1d20+13 = 19 + 13 = 32 »
    Isabis’s containers, 2: « 1d20 = 7 » « 1d20 = 6 »
  • Jessaila takes another dive. « 1d20+1 = 13 + 1 = 14 » swim « 1d20 = 2 » resolve
    Isabis’s containers, something that makes sense: « 1d20 = 18 » « 1d20 = 9 »
  • Vari dog paddling around the barge
    Isabis finds a small chest
  • Seiankornai keeps an eye out for serpents (search « 1d20+3 = 11 + 3 = 14 », notice « 1d20+6 = 9 + 6 = 15 »)
    Player “Jessaia” is not connected.
    You whisper to Jessaila: Did I say that chest was empty? My bad, I misread my chart. roll me 1d20 twice please
    Malaina’s 2 cat. at 27 items: weapon « 1d20 = 12 » and clothing « 1d20 = 12 » worth « 1d20*5 = 6 * 5 = 30 » s
    Jessaila: « 1d20,2 = 5 »
    Jessaila: ((Er.))
    Jessaila: « 1d20 = 12 » « 1d20 = 10 »
    Malaina finds a box of pants, now much in need of washing but otherwise undamaged (worth 30s) and Vari brings up a bundle of Javelins at the same time!
    Isabis: ((a bundle in this case being 3))
    Malaina: “Good job Vari!!”
  • Malaina scratchs the tip of his snout, smiling happily at him
    The day drags on, occasionally exciting for individuals but mostly boring and trending towards sunburn. Nobody drowns, and the sea serpents do not make an appearance. You finally return to dock, where you are spotted free drinks by various grateful rescuees – not a bad day’s work all in all.
    Only Grok is dissapointed, as his fight has still not yet materialized.
  • Malaina thanks the captain for letting them use his barge for collecting everything they could find
    Isabis: « 1d20 = 7 » « 1d20 = 19 »
    Seiankornai: ((I suppose there’ll be one more day of it tomorrow))
    Jessaila’s trunk proves to contain a bunch of spoiled food and a small bag of silver (12 pieces)
    Isabis: ((spoiled by the soaking that is))
    the chest doesn’t contain a container. instead it is « 1d20 = 6 »
    the chest doesn’t contain a container. instead it is something durable « 1d20 = 20 »
    Isabis’ chest proves to contain coin purses.
    Game saved
    Log Saved
    coin purses supposedly with contents: « 1d20 = 1 »
    One of the coin purses has 6 silver in it.
    Jessaila is disconnected.
    Malaina is disconnected.
    Thurirl is disconnected.
    Thurirls’ missed trade goods: « 1d20 = 2 » worth « 1d20*5 = 9 * 5 = 45 » s
    Thurirl found 2lb unusual metals in small ingots, worth 45s

Log 31

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 30

Sunchasers DH drgnhawk