Log 33

Main Page
Logs Index
Log 32

Thurirl has been pokign his invisible reptilian nose into the trade leagues’ business, and something smells.
Seiankornai: (and reptiles have such an excellent sense of smell ;) )

There’s an awful lot of banditry, and even wild animal attacks are mysteriously on the rise. Sabotage of cargo and vehicles is becoming unusually common as well.
This is good for exactly one kind of people: those looking for guard jobs. At the moment, you are such people.
Malaina: ((We are such people!))

  • Jessaila feels warm and fuzzy about protecting people from… themselves, usually.
    Seiankornai: “So you think there’s a conspiricy, Thurirl?”

After discussing it among yourselves, you have decided to seek out a Ganren League trade caravan heading north to Moru’s Mirror; you are now waiting for your prospective employer’s current meeting to end so he can interview you.
Seiankornai: (ah right)

  • Thurirl ignores the comment for now, indicating it would be best to save that conversation for a more private time and place.
    Secretary: “Mr Gannor will see you now.”
  • Jessaila whispers to Isabis, “Were we supposed to dress up for this interview?”
    Fendrel Gannor is a good find in an employer; his trade house is the most powerful in the Ganren league.
  • Isabis whispers back “As guards, yes, not as society flounces. Don’t worry, your armor’s clean.”
    Jessaila: “Oh good.”
  • Malaina happy with her brand new armor since it doesnt have any scratchs or burn marks on it
    FendrelGannor: “Come in, come in. My, you do have a large group. Sunchasers, if I remember rightly?”
  • Seiankornai scales are well polished, his spinechain shined, and his flowing drakecloak pressed.
  • Jessaila waits for Illustrious Leader to speak for them.
  • Vari scratchs a bit at his new armor
    FendrelGannor: ((who is that? ))
  • Thurirl has made sure his clothes are clean enough to pass inspection. He still tends to blend into his surroundings though.
  • FendrelGannor waves to his aide, and the man removes a canvas partition to make room for the drakes to sit down.
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur is well dressed in his best silks but he is wearing his dagger and scimitar
  • Jessaila is wearing… uh… armour, bracers, knee-high boots, a sleeveless shirt, and… Pants.
    FendrelGannor: “So. Sunchasers. Normally, I’d consider it overkill, but lately there’s been a lot of trouble.”

FendrelGannor: “There’s been a lot of bandit activity along the land routes and the river, but so far the coast is no worse than usual, bandit-wise, so we’re cutting west and hitting all the fishing towns, then island hopping it up to Tahr Muan.”

Jessaila: “Less direct, sir?”

  • Seiankornai nods and listens, looking intent
    FendrelGannor: “Eh. The coast doesn’t wind any more than the Morubraid, and it’s a market we’ve been trying to get into forever. Blasted House of Iron thinks anything with salt water is their personal property.”

FendrelGannor: “Goblins are a problem everywhere, though. Worse east of the Stones, but they’re getting to the coast at least as well as we are.”

FendrelGannor: “Then there’s the whole issue of why every animal from here to wherever you go seems to have it in for cargo carriers lately. I think we can make use of you all.”

  • Thurirl almost visibly perks up at the animal comment.
  • Jessaila nods.
  • Malaina tilts her head a bit
    FendrelGannor: ((BRB))

Seiankornai: “Animals are attack? How odd.”

Grok: W "what animals?

FendrelGannor: “Everything. Bears, wolves, water serpents, whatever lives near a trade route, all of a sudden they’re all stirred up.”

Malaina: “I can understand a few, probably looking for food, but it’s strange that all animales are attacking.”

FendrelGannor: “Not to mention goblins, bandits, and cronists. We’ve had more fighting along the trade routes this year already than the last two years combined. And it isn’t even midwinter yet!”

Thurirl: “An unusual turn of events. Perhaps someone will stumble upon the causes in due time.”

Seiankornai: “Does the Crone have any influence on animals?”

FendrelGannor: “The Crone? Beats me. Well. But this all is why I want you on my biggets house caravan. Good sell-swords are hard to find these days, what with every league trader and independent hiring for every route.”

FendrelGannor: "But if the Ganren league has a target on us, this caravan is the bull’s eye. I need people who actually know what to do with trouble, and who think beyond the next league, you follow me?

FendrelGannor: “If someone’s behind all this, I want to know who it is.”

  • Jessaila nods.
    Seiankornai: “We’ll keep our eyes open.”

Jessaila: “Will there be other guards assigned to the caravan?”

Jessaila: “If so, who will the guard commander be?”

FendrelGannor: “The usual house guards will be there. I think – well, let me check…”

  • FendrelGannor shuffles papers.
    FendrelGannor: "Yeah. Cousin Brom is the trade leader, that’s Brom Gannor, and the sword leader is Ulric Brandoren.

FendrelGannor: “Brom is my third cousin on the father’s side at every level, as they say. Ulric is four levels of cousin and a remove, and very experienced. There’s no team I trust more to lead a big caravan.”

  • Jessaila nods.
    Grok: W "how big cavern?
  • FendrelGannor hands over papers to whoever is nearest his desk.
  • Jessaila takes the papers, apparently being today’s spokeself.
    FendrelGannor: “Twelve wagons, which ordinarily means twelve guards. The wagon masters will be armed too, of course, but their responsibility in a fight is to protect themselves and any women and children; the guards are supposed to fight off the attack itself and protect the cargo overall.”
  • Jessaila nods. “Yes sir.”
    Jessaila has a contract, a boilerplate letter of introduction to the caravan master, and a sort of ‘employee handbook’ pamphlet titled “Swords of the Ganren League: SOP and Reputation Guidelines”
    Seiankornai: “Are we part of that twelve, or in addition to?”

FendrelGannor: “Addition. The usual twelve will be there too, one on each wagon when you’re moving.”

FendrelGannor: “The drakes can ride on the wagons; they have reinforced tops for it. Good deterant factor from lounging drakes, I find.”

  • Jessaila glances through the pamplet looking for anything interesting or potentially problematic, particularly given that there’s an ogre in the group.
    Seiankornai: “Hess.”

Malaina: “Hehe, you hear that Vari, you get to lounge around this time.”

  • Vari gives a rumble of approval
    You are enjoined from attacking customers or comitting atrocities that would cause negative publicity for the caravan. Your equipment is your own responsibility, yadda yadda. It’s a pretty standard set of guidelines for not preventing your employer from making a profit.
  • Thurirl glances at the papers over Jessalia’s shoulder.
    One thing you do notice is that it emphasizes a “people first, cargo second” priority for defense.
  • Thurirl approves of that priority.
  • Jessaila nods.
  • FendrelGannor has a lot of extended family in those wagons
  • Jessaila glances up at Fendrel. “Sir, if I may, I’d like to note this clause here about defense priorities; I am quite happy to see this placed in writing, sir.”
    Seiankornai: “I definitely think this shall do for us.”

Seiankornai: “When do we leave?”

Grok: W “How we fed? Good pech cook with caravan?”

FendrelGannor: “Ah. Yes, I’m afraid the whole league doesn’t agree with me on that bit, but I like my cousins to come home – not to mention my sons! Ahem. You leave day after tomorrow.”

FendrelGannor: “The caravan quartermaster will assign cooking duties on the road, and give you a tavern allowance when you’re close enough to the tavern to use it. You’ll be going through the Stones, so you’ll get to eat Pech cooking often enough.”

((That would be the Brenne Stones, Pecn home territories))
Seiankornai: ((also known as the Westfolk IC))

FendrelGannor: ((Yes. Because they live on the west edge of the continent here))

Jessaila: “I am not opposed to serving as a cook, if required. Whether people want to eat the food I prepare is another matter entirely.”

  • FendrelGannor shrugs
    FendrelGannor: “Take it up with Brom. You should check in with him tonight, let him know I hired you on for him. Then you’re free until an hour before departure. Check in at the hour and make sure there’s no last minute sabotage during final loading, and you’ll be on your way.”
  • FendrelGannor shakes hands all around
    FendrelGannor: “Brighteyes’ Luck to you all.”

Jessaila: “Thank you sir.”

Seiankornai: “And Eyes of the Dragons on you.”

Seiankornai: ((it amuses me that in most other settings, that’d be considered a bad thing :P ;) ))

  • FendrelGannor raises an eyebrow at Seian, but nods politely as you all file out and the aide sets the partition back up.
    Brighteyes’ Luck: not actually luck, but the product of skill and planning. Being aware of the unusual nature of all this, you’re a step ahead in that regard compared to the average sellsword.
  • Jessaila heads off immediately to find the caravan leader.
  • Malaina goes with Jess
  • Grok looks for food to take just case cook can’t make food worth a darn.
    BromGannor: ((LOL))

BromGannor: ((You can buy any kind of food you want in Faer Padris))

  • Thurirl follows along with Jess.
  • Jessaila introduces herself to the caravan leader.
  • BromGannor is a middle-aged Janno human-with-a-trace-of-elven-blood. He is busy and distracted, but not too distracted to counter-sign the contract for you.
    BromGannor: “Glad the old man managed to find us a few good swords.”
  • BromGannor looks y ou all over
    BromGannor: “…or whatevers.”

Seiankornai: “And teeth”

  • Seiankornai grins, showing them
    Grok: ((who uses swords?))

Malaina: ((I do))

Jessaila: ((Jess does.))

BromGannor: “Yeah, and teeth. Two sets even. I’ll be sure we’ve got the drake awnings aired out.”

Seiankornai: ((everyone except us and Vari, Grok))

Jessaila: ((A fencing saber, if you wish to be precise.))

BromGannor: ((Isabis uses hand-claws, not a sword Vari))

BromGannor: ((Er. Seian.))

Malaina: ((Mala has a katana))

BromGannor: ((Grok uses a cannon. So that’s half of you already not using swords.))

Thurirl: ((Thurirl will use whatever seems most effective at the time. =P))

BromGannor: ((now a Katana is a sword. but Mala has a polearm too, no? So anyway))

Seiankornai: ((oh, didn’t know Isabis used that))

Seiankornai: ((yes, but Grok asked “who uses swords”, not “who uses swords exclusively” :P))

Seiankornai: ((anyway))

Malaina: ((Yes yes, she has multiple weapons))

  • BromGannor steps away to yell at the stevedores not to put things in the wrong part of a wagon, then returns
  • Grok watches him yelling
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((Jamshid also uses a sword, which the book calls a saber and he calls a scimitar))

BromGannor: “Anyway. Glad to have you aboard. Be sure you’re here in time for load inspection – that’s third hour, day after tomorrow. We’ll leave room for your packs in wagon 8, check in with the wagonmaster whenever you put ‘em in. Chow’s on your dime tomorrow, but you can sleep in the wagon circle if you want….”

  • Jessaila nods.
    Malaina: “Alright.”

BromGannor: “Hey you with the barrel! Big stuff on the bottom! Where’d you learn to load? …sorry, where was I? Oh, right, you can sleep here but I don’t promise not to give you a watch if you’re around.”

Jessaila: “Understood, sir. Is Ulric Brandoren here?”

BromGannor: “Nah, he’s up to the Sunchaser’s Guild looking for sellswords who know which end to put in the goblin. I’ll give him the good news when he comes back for supper.”

Seiankornai: “Hmm, would it be possible to have a few extra cattle tag along?”

Thurirl: “Which end of what?”

Seiankornai: “Oh, that’s where we’re staying, perhaps we can tell him ourselves.”

BromGannor: “Wha…cattle? Do I look like a drover? Hmm. Gotta feed two drakes, though, maybe we’d better.”

Seiankornai: “It can just be a few goats, I think.”

  • WagonBoy stage-whispers at Thurirl “The sword, silly.”
    Thurirl: ((can I not play my character ignorant sometimes? =P))

BromGannor: “Yeah, I’ll make a note for our quartermaster to stock up on the walking meat a little.”

BromGannor: ((sure you can. And the wagon master’s kid can call your character silly for it if he wants to ))

Seiankornai: “We can likely catch some more on the way, but it’ll be good to have some around to start with.”

BromGannor: “Aye, and something for the pass too. Don’t wany anyone flying around when we go under the River of Snow.”

  • Seiankornai looks over the caravan, how many children and women are coming
    Thurirl: “Ah. Then it would depend on whether one wished to recruit the goblin as an underling or merely to the afterlife.”
  • Seiankornai looks at Thurirl, “Recruit a goblin?”
    WagonBoy: “Under what?”
  • Malaina sighs and shakes her head
  • WagonBoy is having his turn to be confused
    Malaina: “Thurirl…”
  • BromGannor snorts at the byplay
    Thurirl: “…I was merely remarking on the turn of phrase offered by our employer. Was I mistaken to do so?”
  • Malaina sighs and shakes her head, hiding her face in her hand
  • Jessaila wonders what the River of Snow is.
    BromGannor: “He means as a spy or something kid. Run along and make sure these nut cases don’t pack anythign in your bunk, OK?”
  • Thurirl is a little confused at the confusion. His statement was perfectly logical.
    WagonBoy: “OK!”
  • WagonBoy runs off and climbs into a wagon
    The caravan drivers aren’t all present, but it looks like most of the wagons are set up to sleep a small family.
    Thurirl: “A spy is certainly one potential form of employment for goblins. Most, it seems, prefer to be employed as… what was the phrase? Target practice?”

Seiankornai: “Hess.”

Jessaila: “Dinner.”

BromGannor: “Hahaha! Employed as target practice! That’s a good one.”

Jessaila: “At least for some of us.”

  • Vari licks at his muzzle
  • Thurirl nods in acknowledgement of the praise.
    BromGannor: “Between you and me, I think half the goblins in the valley are employed as goons for the other trade houses, and we’re just lucky we aren’t seeing their mountain cousins. But we can talk league politics on the trail, yeah?”

Thurirl: “Preferably away from the ears of the league.”

  • Malaina shrugs “A goblin is a goblin to me.”
    Seiankornai: “And lunch to us, right Vari?”
  • BromGannor replies (ignorantly, of course) “Then you haven’t had to stick that sword into to many of ‘em, or you’d know better miss.”
  • Jessaila visibly winces.
    BromGannor: “Anyway, I gotta go. See you day after tomorrow, or whenever you feel like checking in.”

Grok: W “Goblins no fun. They not worthy challenge for Grok.”

  • Malaina frowns at Brom, “I’ve killed too many goblins to count…they took something very precious to me…”
  • Thurirl frowns at the man too.
    Isabis: “I think he misunderstood what you meant by it, Malaina.”

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((will have to quit in 5 minutes btw))

Malaina: “So please, dear leader, do not speak to me as though I have never took the head off a goblin before….I will continue to take their heads until there are none left to threaten anyone…”

  • Malaina turns and heads off, clearly angry
    Seiankornai: ((ok))
  • Vari quickly turns and goes after her, tail almost smacking a few people or wagons
    You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: Leaving early tonight… is everything OK?
    Seiankornai: “Ah, goblins, they are a touchy subject for her.”

Brom isn’t quite following the conversation at this point; the stevedores are trying to put barrels on top of smaller boxes again, and he’s making them repack the wagon in question.

  • Thurirl sighs and goes after Malaina.
    Isabis: ((fast forward))

Jamshid par-Bahadur whispers: yeah, just really tired
You finish your shopping and spend your last night in the comfortable inn, and report for inspection duty the second day hence as ordered.
You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: I can understand that. Sleep well.
You patrol the wagons but observe no sabotage; so far so good.

  • Jessaila makes a very thorough inspection, and makes a checklist.
  • Grok looks for an interesting wagon to guard
    Grok: preferablly with pech
  • Jessaila speaks with Ulric Brandoren about the tactics and duties of a caravan guard.
    You whisper to Grok: finds the wagon with the caravan’s food in it. The wagonmaster is human, but this is still where the grub comes from (so to speak).
    Grok finds the wagon with the caravan’s food in it. The wagonmaster is human, but this is still where the grub comes from (so to speak).
  • Thurirl stands nearby in an out-of-the-way spot with a clear view of the wagons. It is possibly a rooftop.
  • Jessaila hypothesizes that the drakes take turns flying ahead a half-league or so of the caravan to look for ambushes.
  • Seiankornai tests one of the wagons for lounging on. When satisfied, he lets out a roar when it’s time to go
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((I’m off, night all))

Jamshid par-Bahadur is disconnected.
Ulric: ((Goodnight))

Ulric: ((missed. Oh well.))

  • Malaina leads Vari to one of the wagons that have the reinforced roofs and has him climb on top to lay down
    The wagon masters curse and rein in their spooked draft animal, everyone else laughs.
    Seiankornai: “Ah, sorry, though they had better get used to it.”

Ulric: “We usually put a few men with the lead wagon – most likely to find trouble first, obviously – and a few as rear guard, and maybe a couple of spotters from the families up on the wagons. I guess the drakes’ll be doing that this trip.”

Seiankornai: “Yes, spotting from the air has many advantages.”

Two “drake awnings” are set up, suitable for protecting a drake on the wagon roof from sun or rain. When you /want/ the sun, any other wagon will accomodate you.
Jessaila: “Indeed it does – and they’re much faster on the wing than a wagon on the ground.”

Jessaila: “One drake can scout ahead, and one can remain with the caravan for rest.”

  • Malaina will be sticking with the wagon Vari is on
    Ulric: “I don’t doubt it. Now I’d like the ogre with the lead contingent, and someone who from your group that can talk to him – there’s plenty of woanish speakers along, wer’re going through the Stones after all, but I don’t want any groups that can’t talk to each other.”
  • Thurirl walks up to the group without a sound.
    Grok: W “But won’t others see a mighty Ogre in front, and then not attack? How we beat enemy if they scared off?”

Ulric: (w) “We beat the enemy by keeping all our goods in our own wagons. If you scare them off, our goods are safe and we win. If they are too stupid to be scared off, you beat them senseless and we still win, eh?”

Jessaila: “The point of this exercise is to prevent any fighting to start with, Grok.”

Ulric: (m) "Yeah, and much luck to us…well, the boss’ll says “Brighteyes’ luck, but we’ll need more than that to avoid fighting at all, the way things have been lately.”

  • Jessaila nods.
    Seiankornai: “Torch the bruss on the side of the road?” :D

Seiankornai: *brush

Ulric: “So yeah. Two of you on vanguard, including the ogre. Three on spot, and we’ll keep the wagon ladies downside this trip – safer for everyone. One with the rearguard, and the others…say what?”

Grok: W “We can win without fighting?”

Seiankornai: “Don’t worry, I am not serious.”

Ulric: “Master dragon, please. We’re prepared for fighting goblins or bandits, but not for fighting brushfires!”

Jessaila: ((Wagon ladies?))

  • Ulric looks relieved
    Ulric: ((the wives of some of the drivers))
  • Grok is stunned by this concept and is seen traveling in a daze as his mind tries to understand this concept
    Seiankornai: W “Yes, Grok, if you have some other definition of winning, as they do.”

Jessaila: ((Ah.))

Ulric: ((they cook, mend, keep their kids occupied, make sure the traders shave before going to important clients, etc, and do lookout duty when things are less dangerous than now.))

  • Seiankornai waves a claw in front of Grok’s face
    Seiankornai: “I think we broke him.”

Ulric: “So yes. The rest on flank patrol, and four of our regulars will be too.”

Ulric: “…was it something I said?”

Seiankornai: “Yes, I think so.”

Jessaila: “Win without fighting.”

Ulric: “Huh. I thought everyone knew that was the best way.”

Malaina: “You’ve never met Grok.”

  • Jessaila volunteers for flank patrol, considering that it means a bunch of time traipsing through lovely nature.
    Ulric: “Never met any ogre that wasn’t under the crone’s banner, but if the owner vouches for him, I’ll believe it.”
  • Grok continues to stare into the distance, thoughts still rolling around in his head
    Seiankornai: “Someone take his hand and lead him along.”

Ulric: “…get him to sit on the lead wagon until he snaps out of it, will you?”

  • Thurirl would volunteer, but… it’s the ogre. He’s not sure he wants to be that close when he snaps out of it.
  • Grok mechanically gets into the lead wagon
    Thurirl: “Perhaps I can try to explain the matter fully while we are under way. I will need a translator though…”

Brom is willing to translate if you’re willing to try; he is driving the lead wagon.

  • Seiankornai could also translate, and would have more fun with it, but then maybe Thurirl wouldn’t want him for it
  • Thurirl sits next to Grok, though not that close, and nods to Brom.
    Seiankornai: ((should this be a side RP on IRC maybe?))

Thurirl: ((if you wish))

Thurirl: ((but I’ve got to find him on IRC first =P))

The day proceeds uneventfully. You keep watch, and see a lot of rolling plains and river. Then you turn away from the river and it’s just plains.

  • Thurirl tries to explain the idea of winning by not fighting in terms the ogre will understand. He talks a lot about “strength” and “respect” and generally defeating the enemy in their hearts and minds.
    Grok: getting to IRC

You stop for the supper at an inn, and this close to the Brenne Stones it’s no surprise they have a pech in the kitchen.
Seiankornai: “Ah, a pech to serve you food, Grok, thus victory!”

Isabis: “Don’t confuse him Seain, really.”

Grok: “Grok scare all enemy away, so that victory?”

Ulrich: (w) “Right, that’s a victory.”

Seiankornai: “It is an easy victory, not a crushing victory.”

Thurirl: “If the enemy runs, you have already proven your strength, and they acknowledge it.”

  • Ulrich says in an aside to Malaina “Have they really been going over this all day long?”
  • Malaina sighs and nods her head, “Yes, yes they have….just be happy Grok isn’t trying to lure something or someone to fight us.”
    Ulrich: “Has he done that? Uh, what kind of something?”
  • Thurirl is a little uncertain he can make the ogre understand. Sometimes, you just have to wait for the flower to bloom…
    Malaina: “Water serpants….let’s just leave it at that….”

Ulrich: “Water…wait…the owner hired the Crazy Ogre Sunchaser that tried to keep a sea serpent as a pet? As one or OUR caravan guards?!?”

Grok: ((and my legend spreads…))

Jessaila: “Oh dear.”

News travels fast, especially when it’s exciting enough to get free drinks
Seiankornai: ((hehehe))

Malaina: “…..I knew that was going to come back and bite us….”

Seiankornai: “Yes, that’s him. However, I don’t think we’re likely to encounter anything like that, other than maybe a Takern, but those are tameable.”

Ulrich: “I heard he fought a drake for it! … …wait, that wasn’t one of YOUR drakes was it?”

Grok: W “No, Grok took care of sea serpent. It not bite us now.”

Malaina: “Yes, it made Vari quite upset…”

  • Thurirl winces and looks around for a place to be scarce.
    Ulrich: (dubiously) “…well, you /can/ tame water serpents. Supposedly.”
  • Vari looks like he is frowning
  • Ulrich shakes his head
    Ulrich: “Man. What was the owner thinking? Uh, no offense.”

Seiankornai: “Eh, I don’t think it’ll be that bad on this trip.”

  • Malaina frowns at Ulrich, if he was refering to her and Vari
  • Ulrich considers Vari and adds, “Also, I absolutely promise not to take anything you hunt down without your permission.”
  • Ulrich isn’t an expert on drakish culture, but he’s heard that stealing a drake’s kill is a Very Bad Idea.
  • Vari stares down at Ulrich and then lets out a snort of sorts, it could be approval
    Ulrich: “Just…take out any frustrations you all may have on the enemy. They don’t usually come too close to Faer Padris because of the Order of Pearl, but now we’re a good day out we’re liable to run into something any time.”
  • Ulrich sighs “It wasn’t that long ago guard duty was a /boring/ job.”
    Malaina: “Well, here is hoping this journey is boring.”
  • Malaina doesn’t want to see anyone on this caravan hurt
  • WagonBoy pokes Thurirl
    WagonBoy: “Found you!”
  • Thurirl perks up and looks around, a little surprised.
    WagonBoy: (in a well lighted tavern it’s a little less impossible, and he was Trying Really Hard)

Malaina: ((Look, someone actually found him!))

Seiankornai: “Hess, seems you have a perspective student, one who ought to graduate.”

Jessaila: ((Prospective?))

  • WagonBoy dangles his legs from a bench and munches a roll “Nah, I’m not goin’ to schools until I’m bigger, an’ only then if I prove out good at maths or somethin.”
  • Malaina chuckles at Thurirl
    WagonBoy: “I’m still doin the reader with Mom.”

Seiankornai: ((er, yes))

Thurirl: “Hmm. I see I still have much to learn myself.”

Thurirl: “Thank you, child, for helping this ‘teacher’ stay a student.”

  • WagonBoy grins
    WagonBoy: “No problem mister. Anyway, I /like/ hide and seek!”

Supper is eaten, and those who were frugal on the subject of meat buy a last round of ale to fill up their meal allowance. Then
…the caravan rolls up the road another hour, since it’s a good road and the moon is bright.
You divvy up watches with the regular guards and each other, and get about the business of resting up for tomorrow, when the trail will start being uphill.
The next day starts out bright and sunny, and coupled with walking uphill, soon becomes hot and sweaty.

  • Vari decides to fly so he isn’t weighing down the wagon, taking Mala with him
    The road wends over, around, and occasionally between the foothills. A couple of times, you pause the caravan to inspect a narrow passage for ambushes.
  • Thurirl doesn’t mind the walk, though he finds himself forced to strip down a little. Sweat is a luxury his biology cannot afford.
  • Jessaila enjoys the walk.
  • WagonBoy makes a game of trying to find Thurirl, thogh his successes are rare and mostly occur when Thurirl was talking to someone or otherwise not hiding (as much)
  • Seiankornai flies back and forth over the road, keeping alert for any enemies
  • Vari also keeping watch with Seian
  • Thurirl becomes aware of the game and doesn’t mind, even joining in and surprising the boy when he can. Yes, folks, Thurirl does indeed have a playful side. You can all relax now.
    Malaina: ((Oh thank goodness, I was about to go into the bunkers))
  • Jessaila notes the game as well, and offers the boy a few occasional hints.
    WagonBoy: ((drakes make notice checks please))

Seiankornai: « 1d20+7 = 6 + 7 = 13 » notice

Malaina: ((What would I roll for Vari?))

WagonBoy: (9it’s vs 15…uh, probably comp plus wis for Vari))

Seiankornai: ((Comp bonus plus Wis))

WagonBoy: ((yes))

  • Seiankornai ADs it « 1d6 = 6 »
    Seiankornai: « 1d6 = 2 »

Malaina: « 1d20+1 = 16 + 1 = 17 »

Late in the afternoon, the drakes notice a lot of moving things off to the south; closer inspection reveals a group of plains goblins out hunting.
The goblins shake their spears at you.

  • Vari wonders if he should attack them
  • Seiankornai throws some fire at them in passing
    Seiankornai: (not close enough to actually get them, just enough so they know “I see you can bbq you right quick”)
  • Vari roars in warning and flies back to the caravan
    The goblins duck and cower. It’s like duck and cover, only even more cowardly.
  • Jessaila is scouting the left forward flank.
    Ulrich: “Are you sure they were just hunting? Did you see what they were stalking? How many were there?”
  • Seiankornai chuckles to himself and continues his patrols, “Vari, can you tell the caravan there’s goblins here? I’ll keep an eye on them.”
    Seiankornai: ((er, nvm))

Ulrich: ((Vari and Malaina can report. They were hunting mountain goats, they looked tasty, maybe 8 or 10 hunters))

Malaina: “No, they were definetely just hunting, though Vari and Seian did scare them a bit.”

Thurirl: “They know we are here now. We should be cautious should their leaders decide we may prove better prey.”

Ulrich: “Well…that’s something, I guess. We don’t have as much trouble with goblins as some traders, though we seem to make up for it in human bandits.”

Ulrich: “Maybe they’ll actually leave us alone.”

  • Ulrich sounds doubtful
    Malaina: “We’ll keep an eye out in case they decide to move towards the caravan.”

Grok: ((I’ve got to call it a night all

Brom: “Sure. And maybe I’m the Spirit of the Passes.”

Thurirl: ((g’night and take care))

Malaina: ((Night night))

Brom: ((OK, goodnight))

You whisper to Grok: Next week will see us fighting goblins
Grok: ((try not to get into too much trouble))

Grok: Sigh…

Seiankornai: ((goodnight Grok))

Grok is disconnected.

  • Brom does not look like a deity of trade, nor does he look like he expects the goblins to leave you all alone.
  • Malaina and Vari go back into the sky to see if any wayward goblins are heading their way
  • Seiankornai flies high and keeps his eyes on the goblins, if they look like they’re going to attack, he goes to warn the caravan
    Jessaila: “Maybe we should ambush THEM instead.”

Seian sees the hunting party catch a goat and haul it to some caverns.
The caverns have lookouts. They stick their heads out every few minutes and make faces at Seiankornai

  • Malaina reports back that the goblins seem to have their own caravans
    Seiankornai: (caverns, caves, not caravans)

Brom: ((cavern = large hole in the ground. Caravan = group of vehicles ))

Malaina: ((Oh, sorry, read it wrong, she reported caverns))

Thurirl: ((to be fair, I read it as “caravan” too))

  • Seiankornai flys away, in a direction not towards the caravan, and loops back around to meet it
    Seiankornai: ((it would be interesting if it was caravan))

Malaina: ((Yes it would))

Thurirl: ((yeah

Thurirl: ))

Seiankornai: ((so shal lwe stop for the night?))

Malaina: ((That is fine with me))

Brom: ((almost there))

When you report, they goblins are all in the cave. When you go back out to check on them, they are halfway to the caravan.
Thurirl: ((that figures))

Seiankornai: ((oh, that’s not good… unless you’re Grok))

And this is a /war/ party, not a hunting party; there’s more than 8 or 10 and they’re making a beeline for the road.
No ambush this time, anyway.
Game Saved
Log Saved

Log 34

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 33

Sunchasers DH Moochi