Log 34

Main Page
Logs Index
Log 33

When last we saw our heroes, Seiankornai had just reported that the reasonably-harmless goblin hunting party you saw before has stirred up a surprisingly large and business-like raiding party.
An estimated thirty goblins are bearing down on the caravan.
Jessaila: ((We have a map?))

So far, the caravan drivers have mostly followed the oldest maxim available on dealing with adversity:
Dragonhawk: “When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.”

  • Malaina has Vari fly back to the others to tell everyone about the goblins coming
    Dragonhawk: ((in a moment. It’s set up for, oh, 15 minutes in the future yet, when the goblins are within shouting distance of the caravan))
  • Thurirl wonders why so many humans choose to panic in dire situations. It is largely unhelpful and quite distracting.
    Dragonhawk: ((actually, go ahead and set your tokens up on the “road” map))

Grok: “Because it is fun?”

Malaina: ((Ok, I am not having any luck copying my tokens over))

Brom is getting everyone back in order, and all cars facing the same way again, so that’s something. The men are arming themselves, and all women and children are safely (you hope) hidden in the wagons.
Dragonhawk: ((Malaina, putting you at the head of the column, redeploy as you will))

  • Seiankornai is closer to the goblins and flying high
    Dragonhawk: ((OH! I just found three copies of your token, Malaina. You were having some lu ck after all.))

Malaina: ((Can you delete them?))

Dragonhawk: ((done))

Malaina: ((Thank you))

The drakes fly observation patterns on the dangerous side of the road.

  • Malaina stays with the first wagon
  • Jessaila suggests to Brom that the wagons form a defensive circle.
  • Seiankornai is ready to swoop down and flamebe any goblins who get too close to the caravan
  • Isabis posts herself near the middle of the caravan, just north of the steep rock that forced a bend in the road.
  • Thurirl notes that there may not be time to form a circle. Plus, a line may prove more difficult to flank or surround…
    Jessaila: ((But a circle cannot be outflanked. ))

Thurirl: ((And exactly what happens if the goblins arrive when we’re circling the wagons? =P))

Thurirl is right that there’s no time to form a circle. Also, the land on either side is unflat, making it problematic in more ways than one. In general, west (left) is going to be upslope from the road to the crest of the hill some 200 feet behind the rock; to the east it’s downhill for perhaps 100 feet before it starts up the side of the next hill over.
Dragonhawk: ((anybody else need help getting tokens over?))

Thurirl: “It would be wise to use the terrain to our advantage as much as we can. We should not give any help to our enemies that is within our power to deny.”

Dragonhawk: ((Giving Jamshid access to Grok’s token now))

Brom: “Indeed – and that is why I don’t want to drive the wagons off the road. If we end up fighting a retreat and somebody breaks an axle or even just pops a cotter pin trying to maneuver sideways to a soft slope, we’d be leaving people behind. And I wouldn’t want to explain that one to the boss.”

Grok: ((thanks))

Brom: ((go ahead and roll init))

Seiankornai: Init « 1d20+5 = 18 + 5 = 23 »

Malaina: « 1d20+9 = 13 + 9 = 22 » Malaina and Vari’s Initiative Thurirl: Initiative: « 1d20+7 = 13 + 7 = 20 »

Grok: 19

Seiankornai: ((ok, someone get 21))

Thurirl: ((Blackjack?))

Malaina: ((lol))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: 6

Brom: Isabis Init: « 1d20+6 = 17 + 6 = 23 »

  • Jessaila springs into action. « 1d20+13 = 5 + 13 = 18 » Initiative.
    Brom: Caravan Guards init: « 1d20+6 = 5 + 6 = 11 »

You wait for the drakes to signal the arrival of the goblins…

  • Malaina has her Halberd at the ready
  • Thurirl has his sword out.
    Brom: Caravan Drivers init: « 1d20+4 = 16 + 4 = 20 »
  • Jessaila leans up against a wagon eating a pear, though her rapier is loose in its scabbard.
    Brom: goblins init: A « 1d20+9 = 17 + 9 = 26 »
    B « 1d20+3 = 16 + 3 = 19 »
    N « 1d20+9 = 15 + 9 = 24 »
    S « 1d20+9 = 2 + 9 = 11 »

Soon enough, the warparty comes stomping over the crest of the hill. The leaders of the main group are…grotesque. Even for goblins. They are almost literally musclebound, as wide as they are tall and moving with an awkward power.

  • Jessaila finishes her pear then tosses the uneaten core into the air, drawing her saber and bisecting it before it hits the ground.
    Besides the usual bows and hatchet that are characteristic of planes goblins, the large ones carry spears.
    You are now realizing that the northernmost group isn’t just out of formation; they’re peeling off to attack the vanguard.
    Thurirl: ((hmm, 33 enemies… a respectable group))

The north company runs under Seian as fast as their leaders can lead them.
Isabis has received initiative.
Seiankornai: “ROAR!!!”

  • Isabis shoots her foe, hitting « 1d20+6 = 6 + 6 = 12 »
    Dragonhawk: ((gobln 3…miss))

Seiankornai has received initiative.

  • Seiankornai breaths fire down on the rear goblin
    Let the record show Seiankornai is 50’ above ground level
    Seiankornai: Fire breath « 1d20+8 = 11 + 8 = 19 » for « 2d6+3 = 5 + 3 = 8 » fire damage, Ref DC 17

Dragonhawk: miss

Malaina: ((As is Vari since he is still flying))

  • Seiankornai 5ft “flutters” down and to the side
    Seiankornai scorches a patch of ground at the heels of Goblin 6
    Malaina has received initiative.
    Dragonhawk: ((whoops, misread that attack line.))

Seiankornai scorches the heels of Goblin 6

  • Vari flies so he is in front of the group Mala is in
    Malaina: ((Can Mala ready her attack action?))

Thurirl is disconnected.
Thurirl has connected.

  • Goblin 6 dodges fire for « 1d20+6 = 15 + 6 = 21 »
    Thurirl: ((this is getting annoying))
  • Goblin 6 saves for « 1d20+2 = 3 + 2 = 5 » vs 12
    Seiankornai: ((Mala, I would tihnk you can ready the attack; what’s the specific condition you’re readying for? when the enemy gets within range?))

Malaina: ((Yes, since the Halberd has a reach of +1))

Seian gets the first “disable” of the fight, as the goblin falls to the ground, unable to continue running due to his burned feet and legs.
Goblin: ((OK, malaina, I see you readied to stab the first goblin that enters your reach. What about Vari?))

Malaina: ((Vari used his turn to fly over to the group, I am done, and he is still in the air))

Goblin: ((OK, and he’s still 50’ up, then?))

Thurirl has received initiative.
Malaina: ((Yes))

Goblin: ((noted))

You whisper to Thurirl: I hereby offer you an early spot check in honor of your general sneakiness. Notice roll, please.

  • Brom looks a bit pale
    Brom: “I’ve never seen such a big raiding party…keep them off the horses, they’re murder on horses, an’ we won’t get to the coast without ’em.”
  • Thurirl glances at the battlefield to assess the situation: Notice « 1d20+8 = 16 + 8 = 24 »
    The drivers deploy themselves to fight off horse-killers.
    thurirl You see another trio of those oversized muscle-goblins heading for the rearguard. They are trying to be sneaky, but not very har.
    Brom: >.

Brom: ((whisper failure. Oh well. last word type should be “not very hard.” ))

  • Thurirl notes this and passes the intel down the line so the guards and drivers won’t be caught unawares.
  • Thurirl then uses his magic to impede the enemy’s progress.
    Brom: ((oh dear. does that mean that entangling spell again?))

Thurirl: ((Indeed it does, if I can just remember the range on it…))

  • Thurirl infuses the plant life within an area with his magic, causing it to grasp at any who pass by. (Effect: Ensnares those in area or who try to enter; Large and smaller characters must make Saves to move.)
    Spellcasting « 1d20+11 = 20 + 11 = 31 »
    Brom: ((hah. they deployed not to be in short, straight, burnable lines, but they’re still close enough to get caught in that if the center of the group’s in range. Draw your area of effect.))

Brom: ((also: activating wild magic threat))

Seiankornai: ((spend an AD and either cast it for free, or have some critical success?))

Brom: ((page 326 for the table: « 1d6 = 1 » ))

Thurirls feels the flow of the hidden river attuning itself to his call…the spell point costs of spells he casts in this scene decrease by 1.
Thurirl: ((spending an action die))

  • Thurirl smiles in satisfaction at his good fortune.
    Brom: ((also, everyone who casts spells in this scene has threat and error ranges increased by 2))

Brom: ((spend 2 DM action dice. Normal crit success/failure responses also apply))

Brom: ((SPENT 2 action dice. Gah. Can’t type tonight, don’t konw why.))

You whisper to Thurirl: did you check your range to cast that spell?
Thurirl whispers: TGU claims it has a range of Remote; about 1000 ft… unless he misread.
You whisper to Thurirl: OK, I just wanted to be sure someone looked.
Dragonhawk: ((reflex saves for all in range, right Thurirl?))

Thurirl: ((I believe so, yes. Unless they’re at a size bigger than Large.))

Dragonhawk: Reflex saves: Big3 « 1d20+3 = 5 + 3 = 8 »; Big 4; Big 5 « 1d20+3 = 11 + 3 = 14 »
Goblin2 « 1d20+6 = 10 + 6 = 16 »; goblin5 « 1d20+6 = 7 + 6 = 13 »; goblin8 « 1d20+6 = 4 + 6 = 10 »
goblin1 « 1d20+6 = 4 + 6 = 10 »; goblin4 « 1d20+6 = 1 + 6 = 7 »; goblin7 « 1d20+6 = 10 + 6 = 16 »
goblin N « 1d20+6 = 10 + 6 = 16 »; goblin 3 « 1d20+6 = 20 + 6 = 26 »

Most goblins are “small” but the muscle-bound ones are almost as big as a dwarf (and even more spherical)
Seiankornai: ((DC is 15, btw))

Dragonhawk: big goblin 4 « 1d20+3 = 3 + 3 = 6 »

Dragonhawk: ((is it still reflex next round when they try again?))

Grok has received initiative.
Thurirl: ((looks like it; book says “repeatable”))

Seiankornai: ((mmhmm, they’re stuck till they make the save))

Dragonhawk: ((marking goblin company S with white halos in case they get mixed up with company N))

Thurirl: ((should last for about six minutes, or until I dismiss it))

Dragonhawk: ((Hmm. 100 rounds…I don’t think even this battle will go 100 rounds ))

Seiankornai: ((hopefully not!))

Dragonhawk: ((Jessaila, you’re on deck))

Seiankornai: ((and it’d be 60 rounds, actually, 10 rounds a minute for 6 minutes))

Dragonhawk: ((oh, right. Still. If it takes that many rounds something’s gone wrong))

  • Grok picks up a big rock and hurls it at @26 (11)
    Dragonhawk: miss
  • Grok picks up another big rock and tries again 16
    Grok: ((done))

Dragonhawk: ((misses 26 again))

  • Jessaila casts expeditious retreat on herself to increase her mobility, and then bounds forward to engage.
    Dragonhawk: ((casting check))
Jessaila: « 1d20+6 = 2 + 6 = 8 »

Seiankornai: ((oooooh))

Dragonhawk: ((crit failure: « 1d6 = 5 » ))

Dragonhawk: ((… DM doesn’t like that roll « 1d6 = 3 » ))

Seiankornai: ((heh, good call; this is more interesting))

Jessaila: ((To whom? ))

Seiankornai: ((all involved, hopefully))

Jessaila’s spell goes off but affects Grok instead for some reason.
Thurirl: ((oh dear))

Seiankornai: ((much better than you goign unconcious))

Seiankornai: ((Hyperogre!!))

Jessaila: ((Oh dear. ))

Dragonhawk: ((goind unconscious in the first round would be BORING. Boring is not appropriate to having fun in RPGs ))

Jessaila has received initiative.
Dragonhawk: Caravan guards are up

  • Jessaila moves forward, not immediately realizing her spell didn’t affect her.
    Jessaila: ((I’m done.))

The caravan guards respond as trained, forming up into groups to try to break up or delay the enemy formations. Those near the vanguard form up on Jessaila. One stays under the rock in case some goblins try to jump the miniature cliff. Two align themselves to attack the trio at the rear.
Jamshid par-Bahadur has received initiative.
Dragonhawk: ((then half the goblins, then the drakes))

  • Jamshid par-Bahadur throws a javelin at Big Goblin 2 while running toward it (29 for 8 massive, orc, ap4, bleed)
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((activating crit for autofail save))
  • BigGoblin 2 saves for « 1d20+8 = 7 + 8 = 15 » vs 14
    BigGoblin: ((oh, right. You want him dead or disabled?))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((dead))

Goblin group A doesn’t want to fight the trained line of warriors, and tries to flank their line.

  • Arxhar is casting a spell but it might take a while to read up on it so whoever is next should start .
    Goblin group N mostly just wants to escape the maddening vines
    Dragonhawk: Reflex saves: Big3 « 1d20+3 = 20 + 3 = 23 »; Big 4 « 1d20+3 = 18 + 3 = 21 »; Big 5 « 1d20+3 = 8 + 3 = 11 »
    goblin5 « 1d20+6 = 4 + 6 = 10 »; goblin8 « 1d20+6 = 16 + 6 = 22 »
    goblin1 « 1d20+6 = 16 + 6 = 22 »; goblin4 « 1d20+6 = 7 + 6 = 13 »;
  • Thurirl looks quite satisfied in his work.
  • Arxhar will just cast Fly on himself and fly up over Jamshid ((done))
    Dragonhawk: ((Axhar’s move noted))
  • BigGoblins 3 and 4 flank a caravan guard and stab him with their hunting spears: 3 hits « 1d20+17 = 20 + 17 = 37 » for « 1d8+5 = 3 + 5 = 8 » while 4 hits « 1d20+17 = 3 + 17 = 20 » for « 1d8+5 = 3 + 5 = 8 »
  • BigGoblins 3 activates a crit ((3 DM action dice used so far))
    Unknown command: “imPlainsHunter”. Try /help for a list of commands.
    Seiankornai: ((don’t you mean 4?))

Seiankornai: ((2 to activate wild magic, one to activate Jessaila’s critical failure, and one now))

  • GoblinHuntsman 1 and 8 each hack at their own guard: 1 hits « 1d20+7 = 15 + 7 = 22 » for « 1d20+1d6 = 20 + 4 = 24 » and 8 hits « 1d20+7 = 9 + 7 = 16 » for « 1d20+1d6 = 1 + 6 = 7 »
    GoblinHuntsman: ((ah, yes, 4 action dice. out of 11 in the starting DM pool))

Isabis has received initiative.

  • GoblinHuntsman shoots at goblin 8
  • Isabis shoots her foe, hitting « 1d20+6 = 2 + 6 = 8 »
  • Isabis shoots her foe, hitting « 1d20+6 = 10 + 6 = 16 »
    GoblinHuntsman: miss and miss

Seiankornai has received initiative.

  • Seiankornai swoops down lower to take a bite out of the bigger goblin
    Hits « 1d20+9 = 19 + 9 = 28 » for « 1d10+7 = 8 + 7 = 15 » damage, Threat 15-20, AP 1
    Seiankornai: (I activate the threat)

Seiankornai: (spending one of my free crit activations ;) )

Seian kills the big goblin, then uncharacteristically spits him out. Eyuch. It tastes absolutely foul.
Malaina has received initiative.
Malaina: ((is there anyway I can see with boxes so I can use the reach?))

You whisper to Seiankornai: That was more than just unwashed goblin taste. It tasted like poison and rot and something you can’t quite put a claw on. It makes you want to retch.
GoblinHuntsman: ((oh, sure. Press Ctrl+G ))

  • Seiankornai blechs and blechs, rubbing his tongue on his arm. “Don’t eat the big ones, Vari!”
    Malaina: « 1d20+9 = 17 + 9 = 26 » Halberd; AP 4, Reach +1,Trip, Bleed @ Goblin20 (Threat 17-20)
Malaina: ((Ummm, activating that crit?))

Seiankornai: ((go for it :) ))

Malaina: ((Activate the crit!))

GoblinHuntsman: ((now THAT would be a hit. Everyone keep track of your action dice, please ))

GoblinHuntsman: ((and I don’t even have to ask if Malaina is killing or disabling.))

Thurirl has received initiative.
Malaina: ((Hold on, Vari has to go))

Thurirl: ((on hold))

GoblinHuntsman: ((oh, right. Well, Thurirl isn’t attacking the same set, he can actually go in parallel))

  • Malaina flies down to bite down at Goblin 19
    Vari: « 1d20+4 = 9 + 4 = 13 » Bite Attack (Threat 17-20)

GoblinHuntsman: miss

Vari: « 1d20+4 = 7 + 4 = 11 » Bite Attack

Malaina: ((Done))

GoblinHuntsman: ((miss again, plus if he moved more than 5 feet he doesn’t have an action available this round to make a second attak))

GoblinHuntsman: ((Thurirl for sure now, and caravaneers.))

Brom: “Get those wagons tightened up boys, we’re too spread out for this!”

  • Thurirl decides the other goblins need to learn to slow down…
    Malaina: ((brb, I gotta clean up the kitchen, if it is my turn, go ahead and NPC me, if Vari gets hit, he has 8DR, if Mala gets hit, she has 4 DR))
  • Thurirl infuses the plant life within an area with his magic, causing it to grasp at any who pass by. (Effect: Ensnares those in area or who try to enter; Large and smaller characters must make Saves to move.)
    Spellcasting « 1d20+11 = 2 + 11 = 13 »
    Brom: ((on white group?))

Thurirl: ((aye))

Seiankornai: ((I’d roll an AD to boost that))

Thurirl: ((annnnnnd… hmm… think I can make another action…))

Thurirl: ((sure; action die))

Seiankornai: ((otherwise it’s a failure, and an error at that))

Brom: ((it’s a failure, with the wider failure range))

Seiankornai: ((ok, roll a 1d6))

Thurirl: AD: « 1d6 = 1 »

Thurirl: ((facepalms))

Seiankornai: ((…ouch))

Brom: ((and DM action die number 5: « 1d6 = 4 » ))

Seiankornai: (HA! you are lucky!)

Seiankornai: (sorta)

Thurirl’s spell backfires, inflicting …uh, no damage on him because of his atunement. The blast scorches the rock and spooks the nearby horses, however.
Thurirl: ((guess I should delete the circle then))

Seiankornai: ((and you got the GM to spend an AD)

Brom: ((yes, please erase the circle. then you have one more action available if you want it.))

  • Caravaneer 16 spends one action moving, then reserves his second action to advance with the guards.
  • Thurirl chooses to imitate the drakes instead. More than rocks should be burned before the day is out…
    Thurirl: ((brb quick))
  • BigGoblinVanguard moves up on the rear guard. Without the little goblins pushing them into a half-run, they move kinda slowish.
    Grok has received initiative.
    BigGoblinVanguard: ((thurirl still gets his second action when he returns))

Thurirl: ((are Level One spells free to cast? I think Entangle is in that group…))

Seiankornai: ((it is, yes))

Thurirl: ((nevermind; lemme get my bow…))

BigGoblinVanguard: ((not usually but for this scene your attunement makes them free.))

  • Thurirl draws his bow and takes aim at Goblin 8…
    BigGoblinVanguard: ((this scene being the battle))
  • Thurirl lines up and shoots an arrow at his foe!
    Attacks « 1d20+6 = 13 + 6 = 19 » for « 1d6 = 5 » damage, AP 4.
    BigGoblinVanguard: hit
  • goblinHuntsman 8 saves for « 1d20+2 = 14 + 2 = 16 » vs 12
    You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: You working on Grok’s turn here?
  • Grok draws a huge javelin and hurls it at #23 (12 for 5)
  • Grok draws another huge javelin and hurls it at #23 (23 for 14)
    Grok: ((done))
  • goblinHuntsman 23 saves for « 1d20+2 = 10 + 2 = 12 » vs 17
    It takes two tries, but Grok kills a little goblin.
    Jessaila has received initiative.
    Malaina: ((Back!))
  • Jessaila closes on the flank of the goblin line.
    goblinHuntsman: ((you’re in good time Malaina.))

Malaina: yay!

  • Jessaila strikes with elfin speed and her fencing sabre. « 1d20+6 = 10 + 6 = 16 » tohit, « 1d10 = 9 » for damage.
    Jessaila: ((Touche feat, please!))

goblinHuntsman: ((what is that again? Auto-kill if you hit?))

Jessaila: ((Yes.))

goblinHuntsman: ((Ok, but you missed the little bugger.))

Jessaila: ((Aw.))

The little goblins are slippery monsters.
goblinHuntsman: ((Jamshid is on deck))

Goblin company S repeats the out-flanking attempt of their northern compatriots

  • CaravanGuards 2, 3, and 4 gang up on Big Goblin 1
    CaravanGuards: #two hits « 1d20+7 = 2 + 7 = 9 » for « 1d12+1 = 1 + 1 = 2 », #three hits « 1d20+7 = 20 + 7 = 27 » for « 1d12+1 = 4 + 1 = 5 », #4 hits « 1d20+7 = 10 + 7 = 17 » for « 1d12+1 = 3 + 1 = 4 »
  • CaravanGuards 3 and 4 both hit
  • BogGoblin 1 saves for « 1d20+8 = 10 + 8 = 18 » vs 14
  • CaravanGuard 9 hits goblin 1 for « 1d20+7 = 18 + 7 = 25 » for « 1d12+1 = 12 + 1 = 13 »,
  • CaravanGuard 7 hits goblin 8 for « 1d20+7 = 13 + 7 = 20 » for « 1d12+1 = 6 + 1 = 7 »,
  • GoblinHuntsman 8 saves for « 1d20+2 = 7 + 2 = 9 » vs 16
  • GoblinHuntsman 1 saves for « 1d20+2 = 4 + 2 = 6 » vs 16
  • CaravanGuard 10 hits goblin 26 for « 1d20+7 = 5 + 7 = 12 » for « 1d12+1 = 9 + 1 = 10 »,
    CaravanGuard: (miss)
  • CaravanGuard 11 hits goblin 26 for « 1d20+7 = 15 + 7 = 22 » for « 1d12+1 = 4 + 1 = 5 »,
  • GoblinHuntsman 26 saves for « 1d20+2 = 1 + 2 = 3 » vs 12
    Jamshid par-Bahadur has received initiative.
    GoblinHuntsman: ((last action of the night))
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur draws his scimitar while flanking Big Goblin 1 and attacks (25 for 11 ap4, bleed)
    GoblinHuntsman: hit
  • BigGoblin 1 saves for « 1d20+8 = 18 + 8 = 26 » vs 20
  • BigGoblin is the luckiest monster in the region
    Seiankornai: ((tough big goblin))
BigGoblin: ((that too))
  • Seiankornai and Vari will be the last luckiest monsters in the region, though
    Seiankornai: (hit him again!)
  • Arxhar fires 3 scorching rays (at big goblin 1 until he goes down, then big goblin 0) 26 for 3 fire ap5; [t:1d20[t:1d20+17] for [t: 1d4] fire ap5; and [t:1d20+17] for [t: 1d4] fire ap5
    Arxhar: ((done))

Dragonhawk: ((something didn’t process right there))

Seiankornai: ((missed a “]”))

Dragonhawk: Axhar’s rolls: « 1d20+17 = 10 + 17 = 27 » for « 1d4 = 2 » adn « 1d20+17 = 2 + 17 = 19 » for « 1d4 = 1 »

Dragonhawk: BigGoblin 1 saves for « 1d20+8 = 9 + 8 = 17 » vs 21

Dragonhawk: BigGoblin S saves for « 1d20+8 = 16 + 8 = 24 » vs 10

So far, the “score” is Goblins 1, Caravan 9. Tune in next week to see if they can keep it up!
Game Saves
Log Saved

Log 35

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 34

Sunchasers DH Moochi