Log 37

Main Page
Logs Index

Log 36

The battle is over, but cleanup continues.
Dead and unconscious allies and foes litter the battlefield; notably, several allies are severly wounded and need immediate attention

  • Malaina helping with clean up
  • Axhar will provide healing
  • Vari herds the wayward horse back to the group
    The big goblins are dissolving into a disgusting mess, complete with stench of rot.
  • Seiankornai collects the still living goblins
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur goes to figure out why the goblins are dissolving
  • Grok goes to look for something to eat
    You’ll be stuck here for a while, as the lead cart has a broken axle.
    Seiankornai: “Ewww, I knew there was somethign wrong with those goblins when I bite them… I am so VERY glad I did not eat them.”
  • Malaina sees if she can assist Jess in patching up the knocked out driver
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((is the axle metal or wood?))
  • Isabis tries touch of light on her wounds, and finds them too serious for the spell to help. Instead, she settles next to one of the wounded guards and casts it on him for a while.
  • Grok wanders over to look at the axle problem
    Seiankornai: Woanish “Grok, can you help them lift that cart up so they can fix it?”
  • Jessaila is working on trying to save the life of the injured caravan leader.
    Isabis: ((the axle was wood with metal fittings. You can reuse the fittings if you’re skilled))

Jessaila: Healing « 1d20+8 = 17 + 8 = 25 »

  • Jamshid par-Bahadur does his best to figure out what is going on with the big goblins (Investigate 9 Medicine 8 Knowledge 21)
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((Jamshid is skilled at metalworking but he isn’t paying attention to the wagons right now, if someone wants help repairing them they can come get him))

The caravan leader stabilizes, and groggily asks for a situation report; there’s a leader for you.

  • Grok lifts up the wagon easily
  • Malaina goes to get Jamshid
    You whisper to Jamshid par-Bahadur: That looks suspiciously like Soregg corruption to you.
  • Malaina pants a bit, having to had to run all the way down to find him
    The live caravan guards start triaging bodies, sorting them into dead/alive and ally/enemy groups
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “Malaina, have you seen this before? Look something like Soregg corruption to me.”
  • Seiankornai collects the still living goblins up at teh head of the caravan
  • Malaina finally catchs her breath, shaking her head
    Malaina: “No, but we need your help, the axle of the lead wagon broke, we need you to come look at it to see if it can be fixed up.”
Isabis: ((everyone close up North))
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur heads over to the wagon
    Seiankornai: “I wonder if any more are coming?”

Jamshid par-Bahadur: “Seian, could you give us a nice hot fire?”

Thurirl hauls a live student up to the gathering area

  • Jamshid par-Bahadur gets a hammer and traveling anvil out of his pack
    Seiankornai: “I could, yes. What do you want burned?”
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur directs others to make a pile of wood that can be burned down to hot coals
  • Jessaila waits to see if she’s having any effect on the life-saving bits.
    Isabis: ((you stabilized the caravan leader above; were you working on the others now?))
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur will heat the fittings in the fire once it is good and hot and reshape them (Craft(metalworking)25)
  • Seiankornai breaths flame over the pile of wood
    Malaina: “How is he doing Jess?”

Jessaila: ((Dunno.))

Jamshid repairs the wheel fittings; now you just need a Big Stick for the axle itself
Isabis: ((he is awake, and demanding status report on his caravan, as stated above))

Jessaila: “Seems to be coming around, Mala.”

A reminder: You are in the hills, where plains begin folding up towards the mountains. It is not forested per say, but there are trees around and also farmhouses and villages not terribly far away.

  • Jessaila looks at the caravan leader. “We’ve got some men down, it looks like.”
    Malaina: ((Should I send Vari out to find a big enough stick or tree?))
  • Isabis heals Caravanguard 6 enough for him to be out of danger and moves over to Guard 7
    Jessaila: “But we repelled them, and took some prisoners.”

Seiankornai: ((sure))

Malaina: “Vari got the horse back then ran off.”

Seiankornai: “I should keep an eye for any more goblins coming down.”

Brom: “…Why is m’ cart leaning?”

Malaina: “Well, the axle broke, but it should get fixed up soon.”

  • Seiankornai leaps into the air and heads in the direction the goblins came from
    Jessaila: “Jamshid is repairing it. When the goblin injured you, it cut one of the horses away and spooked the other into driving into a stump.”

Jessaila: “Or something. I didn’t see it.”

Malaina: “What she says is true.” saw it since she was on the wagon or hanging on or having to grab back on

Seian sees no further goblins outdoors; the door to their delve is closed
Thurirl has connected.
Brom: (Greetings)

Thurirl: (salutations)

  • Seiankornai returns to the head of the caravan. “Any remaining goblins seem to have holed up in their lair, so we should be relatively safe now.”
  • CaravanGuard 5 approaches the lead wagon and reports
    CaravanGuard 5: “Sir, we lost four men. There’s seven goblins still alive to pry information out of. We didn’t lose any cargo that we know of – haven’t checked the breakables yet.”
  • Brom looks relieved and relaxes
    Seiankornai: “The loss of life is unfortunate.” he says, sadly

Jessaila: “Yes. Given the scope of the attack, it could have been worse.”

Brom: ((renaming the unit leader so the rest of you can find him )) Brom: “The boss’ll be frothing, but it’s better’n what happened to the Five Forks caravan a month ago. All cargo lost, eight dead, and ten more wounded.”

Thurirl: “Indeed. We are fortunate casualties were not higher. We must endeavor to better ourselves so as to discourage further attacks.”

  • Thurirl is looking forward to interrogating the captured goblins. He believes he may be able to assume a rather threatening demeanor…
    Seiankornai: “The goblin leader was saying something about ‘cargo, not bodies’ so they weren’t trying to kill everyone as their primary goal.”

Seiankornai: “He’s still alive, even, so perfect for questioning.”

Thurirl: “Excellent. If you will permit me, I would like to assist in the interrogation.”

Seiankornai: “But of course.”

Jessaila: “No objections here.”

Brom: " … huh. That’s better’n they managed at Five Forks too."
  • Seiankornai grins at Thurirl, with entirely too many teeth, “And I’ll be there as well.”
  • Malaina wants nothing else to do with the goblins, unless it means killing them
  • Vari lays down, yawning
    Seiankornai: “Let’s go wake him up.”
  • Seiankornai wanders back towards the goblin pile
  • Isabis gets the last caravan guard up to “walking wounded” status, then collapses asleep herself.
  • Thurirl considers how to wake up their captive.
  • Jessaila walks up and kicks the goblin.
  • Vari looks for a big enough stick or something like that can be used
    Vari finds a tree with a branch that looks long enough, tears it off the tree, and flies back
  • Vari lands gently with the branch, laying it by the wagon so it can be used
    Malaina: “Good job Vari!” scratchs at the side of his snout, earning a rumble
Isabis: ((does anyone have wood working?))

Malaina: ((Jamshid is fixing it))

Malaina: ((At least I thought he was))

Jessaila: « 1d20+2 = 6 + 2 = 8 » Crafting

Jamshid par-Bahadur: Jamshid Crafting 23 Arxhar Crafting 19

Jessaila splits the end by accident; fortunately, it’s the narrow end you don’t want to use anyway, and Jamshid and Arxhar are able to salvage it.

  • Jessaila asks if they have a spare axle.
    The caravaneers give you a “Whoah. Why didn’t we think of that” look and check the inventory ((1 = yes)) « 1d3 = 2 »
    Brom reads the books, then reports with some disgust that it seems to have been used last year and never replaced.
    (Good thing you have a suitable field-repair half completed)
    Malaina: “Well, hopefully Jamshid can get the axle fixed up.”

Thurirl: “It would be wise to replace it upon reaching our destination, or the first opportunity when you have the funds.”

  • Seiankornai picks up the goblin leader, and holds him in front of Thurirl. “Perhaps you’d like to awaken it?”
    GoblinUnitLeader: ((OK, so you fixed the metalwork and cut the wood to length. You need one more DC 15 woodworking check get it aligned so the axle will turn evenly, and one on metalworking again to get it all assembled))
  • Jessaila uses her knife on one of the unused pieces of wood and seems to be hard at work.
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: Jamshid helps 14

GoblinUnitLeader: ((If you fail either one, you can move the wagon to the nearest civilization but will then have to spend 24 hours or 100 s to repair it more fully))

  • Jamshid par-Bahadur uses an action die 2
  • GoblinUnitLeader wakes up staring into the maw of a drake
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: Metalworking 13
  • Seiankornai flicks his tongue
    Thurirl: “Greetings, my fine goblin.”
  • GoblinUnitLeader vaguely recalls that this started with a pain in his side, but is only now reaching sufficient lucidity to process questions…
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: using another action die if that would fail 8

GoblinUnitLeader: (gamok) “Thought this’d already happened…”

Thurirl: “Hmm. A small difficulty on my part. I do not believe I possess knowledge of this tongue.”

Seiankornai: (Gamok) “Nope, this is the first time you’ve been awake since the battle, little goblin.”

  • Seiankornai translates for him
    The wagon team gets the branch evened out enough to figure out how to mount it usefully. Now for the mounting itself
    GoblinUnitLeader: “Thought you were gonna eat me on the field.”
  • Jessaila overhears Thurirl’s comment. “Why don’t you kick his *? All species understand *kicking.”
    Thurirl: “That is still a possibility. If you answer my questions truthfully, I may consider discouraging him.”
  • GoblinUnitLeader glances down at the people babbling in other-babble, and wonders if there’s any chance they want him not to be eaten.
    GoblinUnitLeader: “Not that I mind (hack cough) but, uh, why haven’t you eaten me yet? Just waitin for me to be awake to enjoy it?”

Seiankornai: “That depends on how valuable you are alive. Knowledge is of great value.”

GoblinUnitLeader: “uh… … I know a great recipe for jerked mountain goat?”

Grok: W “Let him live! Let him live!”

Thurirl: “Fascinating, but not a priority.”

  • GoblinUnitLeader gulps
    GoblinUnitLeader: “I…know a good safe pass over the mountains? Wagons make good time, yes?”

Seiankornai: (G) “Hmm, the ogre seems to value you, but what would make you of value to the rest of us would be who sent you to attack caravans. Hmm, a safe passage would be useful as well.”

  • GoblinUnitLeader turns a little extra pale and squeaks, “A drake! Grey drake, looks like made of stone. Talked long with chief, general – I’m not a general, just squad leader. Gray drake doesn’t talk to me!”
  • GoblinUnitLeader shudders
    Seiankornai: “…. a gray drake?”

GoblinUnitLeader: “…don’t want gray drake to talk to me…”

  • Seiankornai is very much surprised
    Thurirl: “Fascinating. One made of stone.”

Seiankornai: “Where is your chief? Back up in the hill there?” he poitns towards their door

Thurirl: “I do not recall any mythology in this world that mentions stone drakes, or having the appearance of stone. Do any of you have such knowledge?”

  • GoblinUnitLeader trembles
    Seiankornai: ((knowledge check « 1d20+6 = 7 + 6 = 13 » ))

GoblinUnitLeader: (G) “Don’t hunt chief, he hide deep, many barred doors, many traps, small small halls, drake not fit, not want to hunt in there.”

Jessaila: « 1d20+9 = 11 + 9 = 20 » Knowledge then.

Thurirl: “We are more interested in hunting for knowledge. ((to Seian)) I would not advise going after the chief. We must stay with the caravan, and he may not be lying about the tunnels.”

GoblinUnitLeader: ((well, people with the Black Peaks interest know that there are drakes with Earth and Darkness elemental affinities, They are often grey or black))

Seiankornai: (Vidoss) “That is my thought as well. We can always come back to hunt through goblin warrens.”

Malaina: ((Should I roll?))

GoblinUnitLeader: “Hunt the gray drake! He can tell you why he make us look for symbol on boxes, even chief not tell you why.”

Jessaila: “Can he point out the symbol?”

Seiankornai: “And where is this ‘gray drake’?”

  • Thurirl waits for Seian to translate, then nods in satisfaction.
  • Thurirl also notes this is going much easier than he imagined.
    GoblinUnitLeader: “Not know where gray drake nests! Not know, not even chief know! Not near, I think, but maybe wrong, not know!”

GoblinUnitLeader: “Symbol…could but not. Not see it here.”

Jessaila: “Can he trace it in the dirt?”

  • Seiankornai asks the goblin to draw the symbol
    GoblinUnitLeader: ((not while he’s being held up to a drake’s maw ))
  • GoblinUnitLeader waves his hand confusingly in the air
  • Seiankornai lets go one claw
  • Thurirl kneels and waits patiently for the goblin to draw the symbol.
  • Jessaila also watches.
  • GoblinUnitLeader scrathes out a rough but recognizable rendition of the Savinar Peak, although the bit inside that would indicate the individual caravan is muddled. Those with at least some knowledge of the trade leagues know that many different things can go inside, but anything with that outline means the Savinar Trade League
    Thurirl: “Fascinating.”

Seiankornai: “…. you have an idea what it means?”

GoblinUnitLeader: “Not supposed to hurt box if it have this symbol.”

  • Jamshid par-Bahadur has knowledge of the Savinar Trade League and will share the information with those who don’t
  • GoblinUnitLeader waits nervously for something to happen
  • Thurirl calls for others to look at the symbol one at a time until someone recognizes it.
    Seiankornai: ((Seian suddenly eats the goblin!!))
  • GoblinUnitLeader taps the center “Not really matter what in here, general show three, five different kinds.”
    Thurirl: “The outside is what counts, yes? That would cover a rather diverse number of different cargo.”

Jessaila: “He’s absolutely certain they were instructed not to harm anything with this symbol?”

GoblinUnitLeader: “Yes. Mountain-shape, anything inside. Not harm, if attack by accident, run away when see it.”

  • Seiankornai listens to Jamshid, “Hmm, interesting. We might have to look into them when we get to our destination.”
    GoblinUnitLeader: “…I give good knowledge? Go home now?”

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((not only is the caravan trade part of Jamshid’s backstory, but it’s also one of his Studies))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((and he has a related skill of Haggle ))

Jessaila: “He did give us useful information.”

Seiankornai: “I’m afraid you’ll be stuck with us. But at least you might remain alive for some time to come.”

GoblinUnitLeader: “Oh! I think of something else! I tell you, you let go? I run home, not bother farm or wagon or anything, promise!”

  • Seiankornai looks at the other goblins, “Oh, them, the bloated ones, what happened there?”
    GoblinUnitLeader: “Ut? Oh. Peh. Stupids make deal with poison-spikes.”

Seiankornai: “And when the gray drake hears that you told us about him, what do you think he’ll do to you?”

Thurirl: “Curious. I am not aware of anything known as a ‘poison spike’. Not one of your cousins, Seian, I presume?”

GoblinUnitLeader: “…get stuck in drake-trap trying to eat me.”

Seiankornai: “Soregg, Thurirl.”

  • GoblinUnitLeader looks over at the remaining big goblin and starts mocking him “Oh, look, I make deal with poison-spikes, biggest and strongest in whole village /until I melt into vomit/, I so smart.”
    Seiankornai: “Their natural form is like a big sickly urchin.”

Seiankornai: “Or giant spiky spiders.”

  • LastBigGoblin growls and strains at his ropes
    Seiankornai: “Hmmmmm, what else do you know?”

Thurirl: “Fascinating. They must have means to alter the physiology of goblins.”

GoblinUnitLeader: “You let go if I tell you? Then go home?”

Takeru is disconnected.
Thurirl: “I can assue you that you will not be eaten today.”

Seiankornai: “They’re like living chaos, they can change many things, but it always ends up in decay.”

You whisper to Thurirl: You know about the soregg…they can alter the physiology of anything, generally for someone’s worse. Soregg-altered monsters are a more-or-less common problem in the Gronver, where they were long used among other things to keep the Saurian/Rootwalker war going for centuries.

  • GoblinUnitLeader whimpers
    Seiankornai: “I do not think we will be letting you go home, no. But I shall refrain from eating you.”
  • GoblinUnitLeader bargains « 1d20+3 = 16 + 3 = 19 » already gave enough knowledge for not eaten /today/. If just get eaten tomorrow, why help cruel drake?
  • Thurirl recalls his tribe’s stories about the Soregg. The idea of someone making deals with them does not settle well with him.
    Seiankornai: “Because eventually, we will get to a city where they don’t eat goblins, where you can live out the rest of your life just fine.” « 1d20+4 = 4 + 4 = 8 » Haggle
  • Seiankornai is unconvincing
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: Haggle 27

GoblinUnitLeader: ((ooh, OK, what’s your hook then?))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: “There are more unpleasant fates than being eaten. If you cooperate I will keep the drake from eating you.”

Jamshid par-Bahadur: “I may also be able to restrain the rest of my associates”

GoblinUnitLeader: "…and keep from ‘more unpleasant fates’? "

Jamshid par-Bahadur: “Smart goblin”

GoblinUnitLeader: "Oooooh… "

GoblinUnitLeader: “There other symbol. This one paid extra to break.”

  • Thurirl decides now is a good time to inspect his dagger.
  • GoblinUnitLeader scratches out an even rougher rendition of the Hammer Coin, the league symbol of the House of Iron
    Seiankornai: “We could probably demonstrate on the soregg goblin.”

Seiankornai: “He deserve punishment for making himself inedible.”

  • LastBigGoblin struggles with his ropes and glares at UnitLeader
    Seiankornai: ((so what shall we do with the goblins?))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: “Bring them with us”

Thurirl: ((kill the big one; he’s more dangerous))

  • Jessaila draws her saber.
  • Thurirl quietly asks Jamshid about the new symbol. When he’s told what it is, he goes quieter than usual.
  • Jessaila walks over to the big goblin.
    Seiankornai: “Let’s bring the normal goblins with us, but that bloated one should be killed.”
  • Jessaila issues the coup de grace to the big goblin.
    Seiankornai: “Oh, er, like that, I guess.”
  • Jessaila makes sure the job is done right.
  • GoblinUnitLeader mutters “Happy vomit-melting stupid.”
  • Jessaila cleans her blade.
  • Seiankornai makes sure to move his tail away from the spreading pool of molten goblin
    Thurirl: “I think we may have endeared ourselves to the ones who rejected their offer.”

Seiankornai: “How’s the repair work coming?”

The other five goblins make remarkably little protest to the execution of the last Soregg-tainted; their expression range from relieved to a sort of sour vindication
GoblinUnitLeader: ((I think we needed one more roll on metalworking?))

Jessaila: ((Did we ever catch that lost horse?))

Seiankornai: ((yes))

In all, the six survivors seem a lot more concerned about their own fates. A whole lot more, in fact.
Jamshid par-Bahadur: Metalworking 16

You whisper to Grok: I’m interested as the DM; what is Grok’s motivation for not killing the goblins?
Grok levers up the wagon and Jamshid gets the axle in place.
It looks like the rough repair it is, but the wagon rolls steadily along, so apparently good enough it good enough.
Grok whispers: more people to tell of the terror of fighting Grok. Also, Grok doesn’t see goblins as anything worth any special consideration
Grok whispers: To Grok, goblins barely exist
Seiankornai: “Thurirl, are you good with bindings?”

Malaina is disconnected.
The rest of the caravaneers have wrapped the bodies of their dead in tarps; now they build a pyre and start stacking goblin bodies inside the fire break.
Soon the enemy dead are burning.
Thurirl: “My knotwork should be sufficient to hold them. If not, I shall personally ensure they do not escape.”

  • Seiankornai sneaks a goblin
    Jessaila: ((I’ve survival +10, that’d seem to cover ropework.))

Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 18 + 10 = 28 » Survival

Seiankornai: “Grok, you can march with the goblins, I doubt they’d try running from you.”

  • GoblinUnitLeader looks up at the big ogre, and recalls him yelling something earlier.
    GoblinUnitLeader: “He one of the ones want us to have ‘fate worse than eating’?”

Seiankornai: “He wants you to teach him your cooking recipes.”

GoblinUnitLeader: “Ut? Want recipe for jerked mountain goat?”

Seiankornai: “So as long as you don’t give him any recipes using goblins as an ingredient, you should be safe.”

  • GoblinUnitLeader turns to goblin 14 and whispers “Maybe he less stupid than humans about horse soup.”
    Thurirl: ((I’m gonna assume that didn’t get translated… =P))

GoblinUnitLeader: ((probably just as well…the Caravan drivers wouldn’t take it very well ))

The wagons load up, resting places are made for the injured, and soon the whole caravan is moving again.
Off to the north there’s a storm brewing over the mountains, but you make a fine dry camp that night and pass several uneventful days travel into the mountains.
GoblinUnitLeader: ((anyone have last minute things to do?))

Thurirl: ((not that I can think of))

Thurirl: ((though I think Thurirl might want that recipe too, or at least to try it…))

Grok: ((nope))

GoblinUnitLeader: ((OK, then.))

Game Saved
Log Saved

Log 38

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 37

Sunchasers DH Moochi