Log 49

Logs Index
Log 48

You find yourselves outside an ancient tomb, with instructions to recover the scepter of rulership from within. Unfortunately, you know little about this ancient elvish king, or what, or who, may lurk inside
Jamshid par-Bahadur: or what …. horrors
But then again, such is the fate of explorers.
Seiankornai: “The scepter of ruleship. I fitting implement for myself, pity it’s unlikely to be designed to be properly held by my claws.”

  • Isabis tries to remember hearing anything about the king, consulting her notebook
  • Malaina rolls her eyes a bit
  • Vari yawns
    DM whispers: feel free to make a knowledge check, with the appropriate number of studies, and a 4 for your elvish history study
    Isabis: knowledge check « 1d20
    13+4 = 20 + 13 + 4 = 37 »
    Isabis: ((Whoot! I totally know stuff!))
    DM: ok then…
    Seiankornai whispers: how’d you get a 13?
    DM whispers: you recall this king was a clever and cruel king, but most notably for yourselves, his tomb was protected by many traps that claimed the lives of several of those who ventured into the tombs.
    You whisper to Seiankornai: ah, maybe by miscounting? with a 20 it might not matter much, but what counts as a study again?
  • Isabis flips through her notebook, then suddenly groans
    Malaina: “What’s wrong?”
  • Axhar tries to see if he can remember stuff too (with a possible bonus from being from 2k years ago?) Knowledge 25
    Jessaila: « 1d20+7 = 1 + 7 = 8 » Knowledge
  • Axhar also looks around very carefully. (Search 20)
    DM: At the entrance, Axhar finds nothing. Perhaps inside….
  • Jessaila apparently missed that part of her education.
    Isabis: “It’s king traps-a-lot. He was famous for being clever, so they thought it would be fitting to trap the living lights out of his tomb. People die regularly in there.”
  • Seiankornai let’s the scholarly ones do the remembering of history
    Malaina: “So…we shouldn’t go in there?”
    Behind you, the red sunpool continues to shimmer…
    Seiankornai: “Eh, we can manage.”
    Seiankornai: “We can at least poke our noses in there.”
    Isabis: “Let’s start the poking with something more resilient than our noses, shall we? Sticks, perhaps?”
    Seiankornai: “About the same thing in my case.”
    Seiankornai: “But go ahead, pick a stick.”
    Jessaila: “Right. The Indestructables go first, then.”
  • Isabis mutters “where are all the undead mountain goats when we actually need them?”
  • Isabis looks around for a suitable stick, or at least some solid throwing stones
  • Malaina frowns and wraps her arms around one of Vari’s front legs
    The tomb is on the edge of the forest. sticks and rocks are in abundence
  • Isabis selects a long sturdy branch and strips the twigs off it. It’s maybe a bit overlong for a walking stick, but it’ll do for poking ((field expedient 10’ pole))
  • Jessaila prepares to head inside.
  • Malaina sighs and slips out her Halberd so she can use it in front of her as well
  • Isabis swings the stick around ahead of her, tapping the ground and walls before stepping forward
  • Seiankornai let’s Isabis poke the stick in through the door way first, before poking his nose in
    Jessaila: “I’m afraid I’ve got very little idea what traps look like, at least within a structure.”
  • Isabis looks almost like a blind person with an overlong cane, testing the ground at least a little before she steps onto it, but she keeps her eyes open and stays alert
    The stick encounters nothing but air, but as you finally peer inside, a horrible sight meets your eyes. Against the far wall, next to a stone door and rusted chain, there is a macarbe display of skeletons. Flesh is still rotting off them, and worms crawl through them.
    Seiankornai: “We need to hire a dwarf sometime.”
    DM: ((Will DC 20 check or become frightened))
    Jamshid par-Bahadur is disconnected.
    DM: ((frightened him right off, I see.))
    Seiankornai: ((Will « 1d20+6 = 10 + 6 = 16 »))
    Isabis: « 1d20+8 = 6 + 8 = 14 » “It’s just biology, it can’t hurt me…”
    Isabis: ((apparently not comvincing herself))
    Seiankornai: “Eww, I’m not getting close to that!”
    Malaina: « 1d20+5 = 9 + 5 = 14 » Will
    Isabis: “Well burn it off then!”
    Jessaila: « 1d20+7 = 4 + 7 = 11 » Will
    Vari: « 1d20+2 = 18 + 2 = 20 » Will
    Jessaila: “Ew.”
    Seiankornai: ((yay for Vari))
  • Vari blinks, not seeing what the big deal is
  • Isabis mumbles something about sterilization
  • Malaina keeps her grip around Vari’s leg, not really wanting to go inside
    DM: ((Fyi, Frightened means you will technically will have to make a move action away from the source of fright. In this case, it will be more a case of you won’t go inside.))
  • Vari slowly goes inside, passing everyone (is that ok?)
    Jessaila: ((That could be rather problematic for all of us who failed. ))
    After your intial scare, you mentally know what is coming. You may now make a resolve check to steel yourself and overcome your fear, DC 20
  • Seiankornai steps aside for Vari, disgusted at the sight of thing
    Malaina: « 1d20+5 = 2 + 5 = 7 » Will
    Seiankornai: ((resolve, not Will))
    Malaina: ((Oh, sorry))
  • Isabis turns around and tries to get herself under control « 1d20+12 = 2 + 12 = 14 »
    Malaina: « 1d20+13 = 9 + 13 = 22 » Resolve
    Seiankornai: ((Resolve « 1d20+6 = 4 + 6 = 10 » ))
    Jessaila: ((Oh great, I can’t beat a DC20 check with resolve.
    Seiankornai: “Can you burn it up, Vari?”
  • Malaina takes in a deep breath and follows after her drake
    Btw, I forgot to mention, Jessaila, for her heroic captaining and leadership last time on ship, gets one bonus action die.
  • Vari looks behind him and watchs as Mala comes in and then looks to the others, blinking to see if they will follow
  • Seiankornai appears apprehensive
    Jamshid par-Bahadur has connected.
    Jessaila: ((Well, I guess I can roll a resolve and try to hopefully boost it with an action die.))
    Isabis: ((wb))
    Malaina: “Vari, just do as he says, burn the bodies away so they can come in, ok?”
    Vari and Malania still find the sight disgusting, but not horrifying enough to drive them away. A closer look at the room reveals that the skeletons are mounted on spikes, and the spike pad they are on extends into the ceiling
    Jessaila: « 1d20 = 4 » Resolve
  • Vari snorts, still not seeing what the big deal is and starts to burn the bodies away so the others can come in
    Jessaila: ((Um, nope.))
    The stone door with the chain besides it goes deeper into the tomb, and the chain also disappears into the ceiling.
    Isabis: ((that sounds ominous))
    Grok is disconnected.
    Grok has connected.
    Seiankornai: ((wb))
    Unfortunately, the bodies seem to be perserved in their present state by some unknown force, as they resisting both the natural forces of decay, and fire
    Malaina: “Sorry everyone, bodies aren’t going anywhere. And I REALLY don’t want me and Vari to go in alone.”
    Isabis: “No, that would be bad.”
    Seiankornai: “Nor do we. Isabis, can you determine what kind of magic that might be?”
    Isabis: “I can try…”
    Isabis: ((can I look at it if I don’t try to get closer to it?)
  • Jessaila is seriously freaked out by the indestructable bodies.
    Grok: ((not for long. It’s pretty grotesque
    Seiankornai: ((Thurirl’s will « 1d20+5 = 7 + 5 = 12 », and resolve if necessary « 1d20+5 = 16 + 5 = 21 » ))
  • Isabis is at this point both intensely freaked out and intensely curious…the two forces are /almost/ in balance. Still and all…
    DM: Thurirl is resolved to continue into the tomb, and teach the tomb builder some education…
    Isabis: "Thurirl, what does it look like to you?
    Thurirl notes that the magic on it is strong preservation magic.
    DM: Btw, what is everyone’s notice check?
    Seiankornai: ((7))
    DM: as in, the plus, not an actual roll
    Jessaila: ((
    12))
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: (6 for Jamshid, +7 for Axhar)
    Malaina: ((
    8))
    Thurirl has connected.
    Seiankornai: ((welcome))
    Thurirl: ((thanks))
    Isabis: ((+12))
    DM: Btw, also in the room, for Thurirl information, is a stone door, and a rusty chain going up into the ceiling.
    DM: Actually, it’s a loop of chain, hanging down.
  • Thurirl considers the mechanism that lies before him…
  • Isabis keeps peeking back into the room, then turning away again
    Malaina: “Thurirl, best to find out what magic is making these bodies stay and how we can get rid of it so the others can get in.”
    Malaina: “If not, it will just be the three of us exploring.”
    Thurirl: “I believe I have found a way to remove the bodies.”
  • Jessaila doesn’t even bother looking – she’s outside trying to retain her last meal.
    Isabis: “It’s gotta be a trap, the spikes probably come down and spear you when you try to open the door or something.”
    Malaina: “Would explain the bodies.”
    Seiankornai: “It’s scary, and I don’t know why it should be so scary which for some reason makes it even more scary. Get rid of it, please.”
  • Thurirl decides to inch forward carefully, keeping an eye out for further traps.
  • Malaina stays near the entrance with Vari
    Isabis: “They didn’t nickname this guy ‘king traps-a-lot’ for nothing”
    DM: ((glad grok isn’t here. If he was and failed this check, he might never live it down.))
  • Thurirl hasn’t encountered anything yet. He keeps moving forward.
    Seiankornai: ((gee, and who arranged it such that his honor wouldn’t be properly tested? ))
    Thurirl notices no further traps. For now.))
  • Thurirl continues along toward the loop of chain, keeping as calm as possible, keeping alert for magical traps as well as practical.
    Thurirl touches the chain, and nothing shoots him, stabs him, zaps him, or dumps him into a pit.
    Seiankornai: ((but does anything bad happen to him?))
    DM: ((he’s in the same party as Grok?))
    Seiankornai: ((eh, that’s happened a long time ago))
    Malaina: ((No, he went with us))
    Thurirl: ((I’m standing right here, guys…))
  • Thurirl tries to pull down on one side of the loop. If that doesn’t work, he switches to the other one.
  • Jessaila loses her battle to retain lunch and sees, yes, she did have carrots in that stew.
    Pulling the chain seems to have two effects. It starts the stone door opening, and it also starts to raise the spike bed which the skeletons are attached to.
  • Malaina looks a bit nervous at this
    When Thurirl finishes pulling the chain, the door stands open, and the skeletons have been retracted into the ceiling.
    Malaina: “Ok guys, the dead bodies are gone.”
  • Thurirl doesn’t let go yet, unsure if the trap is reset or not.
  • Seiankornai attempts to enter the place again
    Glancing inside, he sees the object of their search, and a new map, the king’s tomb
  • Isabis dashes through – not very far thought -the door while he holds the skeletons up
  • Jessaila fishes out some hard sugar candies to replace her lunch, and moves to join the others.
    DM: Please switch over, the door is at the south end
  • Thurirl continues to hold the chain until everyone gets through… then slowly lets go, waiting for things to drop again.
    Nothing drops. But they do see a skeleton, less scary, holding a scepter on a throne
  • Seiankornai passes underneath quickly
    The room is well light, surprising, but holes in the ceiling lets in plenty of light.
    DM: need Thurirl and Jamshid on the map, please
    Isabis: “…that can’t possibly be the only trap.”
  • Isabis starts with the floor tapping again
    Malaina: “I highly doubt it.”
    Jessaila: “Was that even a trap, or just a macabre exhibition?”
    DM: ((Grotesque trap, straight out of the rulebook.))
  • Thurirl comes in behind the others.
    Isabis: “Magical, so trap. Or ward or something, anyway.”
    As you enter, a section of the ceiling lights over you becomes covered. Also, behind the throne you notice a huge stone disk, held back by vines. One of the vines snaps as you watch
    Thurirl: “It seems its purpose was to unsettle and frighten any who might proceed to enter this place. A most effective, if unsubtle, method of discouragement.”
    Thurirl: “…it would seem that not all the traps are behind us.”
    Isabis: “There was not chance of that…do you see where that disk wants to roll?”
    DM: ((from now on, we are going into round acting. You will all act together, and then the shadows will advance.
    Seiankornai: ((shadows?))
    DM: ((vines may break, other stuff after you are done with a round, etc.
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur readies his shield and a javelin
    Isabis: ((where is this disk? Which direction is it’s axis?))
  • Axhar casts Fly on himself
    The lights in the ceiling above you have gone out. This area is starting at the door and moving forward. The disk is behind the throne up high, held back by vines.
  • Seiankornai steps forward cautiously, then starts as the lights go out
    Seiankornai: “Do we have torches?”
    Party is up
  • Vari gets ready to grab Mala
    Thurirl: “We should advance carefully but quickly.”
    DM: Let’s stick to typing for the most part
  • Seiankornai advances up quickly
    Seiankornai: ((double move))
  • Seiankornai can probably take the traps, if any
    Seinkornai steps on a presure plate, and activates several blades that slash out from the pillars
    DM: « 3d6 = 8 »
    DM: Reflex of 15 for half
    Seiankornai: ((ref? « 1d20+6 = 13 + 6 = 19 »))
  • Thurirl keeps a keen eye on the situa—Seian!
    Each pillar is now arching out blades at irregular intervals.
  • Seiankornai smirks as he dodges a few blades and the rest bounce off his scales
  • Seiankornai gets to the other side of the pillars
    Isabis: “Drat it Seian, how am I supposed to get through that?”
  • Jessaila looks to see if she can just low-crawl under the spinning blades.
    He now triggers a spray of liquid over himself, that eats into his scales and causes him pain.
  • Thurirl is not liking what he sees.
    DM: -2 to all skill checks unless he passes a DC 20 will check
  • Malaina winces at that
    Seiankornai: ((no ref? « 1d20+6 = 11 + 6 = 17 »))
    Seiankornai: ((AD « 1d6 = 4 » ))
    DM: Jessalia finds that it might be possible to crawl under the blades.
    Seiankornai: “…OK, I think I’ll stand still now…”)
    Isabis: “Dang it Seian, it’s trapped! I wouldn’t be shocked if every stone in the floor was a pressure plate or a trap cover! Show a sense of self preservation!”
    DM: ((yeah, quit acting like Grok!))
  • Jessaila flops down on the floor and low-crawls under the spinning blades.
    Seiankornai: “At least we know, now.”
    Malaina: “Is there anyway to get around the traps? Like flying?”
  • Isabis mutters something about not getting any closer than she absolutely has to and starts forward in Seian’s wake
    Seiankornai: ((how high is the ceiling?))
    Isabis: (is the acid still going?)
    DM: « 3d8 = 17 » damage to Isabis
    DM: Wow. And yes, the acid is still going.
    Isabis: dodge « 1d20+6 = 19 + 6 = 25 »
    DM: it’s not just acid though. It seems to be a mix of several liquids.
    DM: ((anyone else acting this turn?))
  • Seiankornai tries hovering off the floor
    Isabis: “Seian, stand tall, I want to go under you.”
    Malaina: ((Nope, staying right where I am))
    Isabis: ((I have a half-action yet))
    DM: ((Ceiling is 8 ft.))
    Seiankornai: ((oh))
    DM: At this section, it gets higher closer to the throne
  • Seiankornai stands up as high as he can, and uses his wings for cover
  • Isabis attempts to avoid the acid spray by using Seiankornai as a living canopy and crawling under him
  • Jessaila glances up and looks for some holes where said acid is coming from.
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur takes cover behind his shield and advances
    Seiankornai: ((still have a half action of my own as well))
  • Thurirl looks to find a way through, watching the others and advancing behind them.
  • Isabis pauses at the edge of the acid-stuff zone (done for this round)
    DM: « 3d8 = 10 » slash damage to Jess
    Jessaila: ((What?))
  • Axhar casts Gust of Wind to divert the flow of acid from the party and flies to the ceiling where he goes “prone”
    DM: You crawling, Jess?
    DM: Then ignore the damage
    Seiankornai: “I am going to want a bath after this, this stuff itches maddeningly.”
    DM: Axhar has redirected the liquid
    DM: anyone else still to act?
    Thurirl: ((me))
    Thurirl: ((least I think so))
    Jessaila: ((I was crawling, yes.))
  • Seiankornai tries taking a look before leaping this time, and attempts to spot any more pressure plates (using last half action, Search « 1d20+6 = 13 + 6 = 19 » ))
    Jessaila: ((Next round I want to cast a Polar Ray at any nozzles I see on the ceiling.))
    Thurirl: ((wait, are we progressing? I thought the turn was over?))
    Seiankornai: ((still the first turn, yes))
    Seiankornai doesn’t notice any more traps
    DM: ((I’m advancing the shadows a little early, feel free to keep acting))
    Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 10 + 10 = 20 » Notice
  • Thurirl crawls under the blades.
  • Isabis looks for more traps in front of her « 1d20+13 = 13 + 13 = 26 »
    Jessaila: ((Odd. My notice check should actually be +12, not +10.))
    Neither of you notice anything more
    Isabis: ((I am “searching” for the record ))
    DM: last chance to act
    Isabis: ((done)0
    Round 2
    The shadow area advances to over the pillars, and another vine holding back the disk snaps
  • Isabis prods the ground in front of her hard with her stick
  • Axhar continues the unnatural wind, protecting the others from the acid
    No effect on the the proding
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur continues to advance slowly and hurls a javelin at the base of the disk attempting to wedge it in place (21)
  • Seiankornai looks to see how many vines might be holding back the stone
    Jamshid advances into a wall of flame
    DM: « 3d6 = 10 » fire damage
    Seiankornai: “OH!!! FIRE!! YAY!!!”
  • Thurirl attempts to disable the acid trap with some magic, and a little know-how. (Prestidigitation: « 1d20+12 = 6 + 12 = 18 »)
  • Seiankornai jumps ahead into the fire
    DM: reflex for half, also, need to make a reflex save to avoid being caught on fire
    DM: DC equal to damage suffered
    Seiankornai: ((Athletics to jump into the fire « 1d20+7 = 15 + 7 = 22 » ))
  • Seiankornai sits in the flames in happy contentment, being warmed and burning off that annoying liquid
    Thurirl: ((Did I manage to disable the trap?))
    Seiankornai jumps into the fire. Unfortunately, one of the liquids he was sprayed with was alcholic, and he goes up like a torch
    Isabis: ((does this bother him…?))
  • Seiankornai hums to himself while alfame
    Seiankornai: ((I’ve got monster fire resitance!!))
    Thruril manages to disable his side of the spray
    Seiankornai: ((go ahead, roll your best fire damage))
    DM: « 3d6+5 = 8 + 5 = 13 » fire damage on Seiankornai
  • Seiankornai is perfectly fine in the fire
    DM: ((don’t know if that will hurt you though))
    Seiankornai: ((nope, fire resitance 17 _ ))
    Thurirl: “Over here! I have succeeded in disabling this part of the trap!”
    Seiankornai: ((plus with the DR, I can ignore 20 points of fire))
    DM: ((fire ignores DR, i believe))
    DM: « 3d6 = 10 » fire damage to Isabis
    DM: reflex dc 15 for half
  • Isabis holds her breath and jogs through the fire, taking advantage of her armor’s fire resistance 5, dodging flare-ups for « 1d20+6 = 15 + 6 = 21 »
    DM: Nice.
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: Reflex for 1/2 damage 10 and to avoid catching on fire 9
  • Thurirl moves forward toward the fire, though not eager to try running through it.
  • Jessaila takes advantage of Thurirl’s work and dashes through.
    DM: Jamshid is on fire! Literally
  • Isabis casts a spell (level 1) « 1d20+13 = 5 + 13 = 18 »
  • Seiankornai tries the trick to make a shelter with his wings in the fire for people to pass through, since he really isn’t bothered here
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur is glad to be wearing leather armour (0 damage)
  • Isabis animates the dead skeleton as a “skeleton with xp value 40 or less.”
    1 action dice for outside the box thinking on the part of Isabis
    Isabis: ((Yay ))
    Jessaila: “Holy hell, the skeleton’s alive!”
    Isabis: “It’s mine!”
  • Seiankornai looks between the skeleton and Isabis, jaw open, “You can do that???”
    DM: ((Kill it! Kill it with fire!))
    Thurirl: “Fascinating. I did not know Isabis could perform necromancy.”
    DM: ((you have ownership of the skeleton.))
    Jessaila: “What the hooey-hay!”
    Seiankornai: “Since when are you a necromancer?”
    DM: anything else, or is everyone stunned that the skeleton is moving?
    Isabis: (in a rush) “It was an accident! Or the will or Moru or something I never meant to do anything like that I was studying healing I’ll explain later”
    Thurirl: “Enough! Do what you can with it! Explain later!”
    Thurirl: “Preferably when we are all still alive and breathing!”
    Isabis: (At the skeleton) “Come here!”
    Round 3
    Isabis: ((it can’t move until …well, now, I guess))
  • Thurirl sees no profit in walking through flames, and hopes they can get back safely.
    Seiankornai: “At least there’s light in the fire.”
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur is impressed
  • Thurirl is not sure what will happen when the shadows reach the end of the room… but he doubts he’ll enjoy it.
    Seiankornai: “Shall you two hurry under?”
    Two more vines break, and the disk groans closer
    Seiankornai: "We ought to be moving quickly, I think
    Jessaila: “Think I’ll stay here, actually…”
    Malaina is disconnected.
    Isabis: ((Why are you moving it back?))
    The skeleton triggers yet another trap, where he is dumped into a pit, and the walls of the pit close in on it
    DM: « 2d6 = 9 » blunt damage
    Isabis: “…drat. Figures, but still.”
    Seiankornai: “….”
    Jessaila: “…Okay then.”
    Seiankornai: “Can you open the door and have it toss the sceptor up here?”
    Jessaila: “So he got rekilled by one of his own traps…”
    Jamshid’s Javelin wedges itself into the base of the disk, and perhaps will slow the rolling of the disk
    Some of the skeleton is still above the surface, it will matter more if it survives or not
    DM: « 1d20+3 = 19 + 3 = 22 » Skeleton save
    Isabis: Skeleton health save: « 1d20+3 = 18 + 3 = 21 » vs 14
    The skeleton is slowly being crushed, but it still holds the scepter clear
    DM: ((who else is acting?))
    Jessaila: ((I suppose I can run through and try to grab it.))
    Jessaila: ((But it might be better if one of the leaders here can do it.))
  • Isabis walks up to the edge of the pit, and says “give me the scepter you are holding”
  • Jessaila makes with the magic. « 1d20+11 = 14 + 11 = 25 »
  • Seiankornai can hold Isabis down to it if nesessary
  • Jessaila gets totally drenched as she runs through the fire.
    DM: Success with Jessaila, and Isabis grabs the prize from the skeleton
    DM: « 3d8 = 12 » damage to Jessaila
    Isabis: “OK, out we go, move, move! Oh, and you try to get out too if you can.”
  • Isabis no longer thinks this is possible, but hey, she /could/ be wrong.
  • Isabis holds her breath and jogs through the fire, taking advantage of her armor’s fire resistance 5, dodging flare-ups for « 1d20+6 = 17 + 6 = 23 »
  • Thurirl gestures to where he disabled the acid and goes through it himself again.
  • Seiankornai runs closely after them
  • Seiankornai provides a bridge through the fire first, though
    DM: « 3d8 = 20 » damage to Isabis
    Isabis: ((I’m actually out of move for the turn, so I’m done))
    Jessaila: “I guess I ran through for no good reason. Oh well…”
  • Thurirl decides to try disabling the blades too. (Prestidigitation: « 1d20+12 = 9 + 12 = 21 »)
    Isabis: reflex vs 5 « 1d20+6 = 5 + 6 = 11 »
    Thurirl: ((if I can’t move and disable on the same turn, then I’ll just use that roll for my next one))
    Jessaila: “Jamshid, need to keep from getting burned?”
    Thurirl also brings down this sides blades as well as the acid
    Isabis: ((so do we need to divert around the end of the columns to get to the disabled blades, or will any place right of center be safe from that trap now?))
    DM: Anyplace next to two right pillars
  • Seiankornai positions his wings to make a safe haven for Jess and JAmshid
  • Jessaila takes full advantage of this to return.
    DM: everyone done?
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur moves up to the disk and looks for something more sturdy to wedge it with
    Jamshid hits another pit, and suffers « 2d6 = 6 » blunt damage, and is currently trapped
    DM: ((things just got more interesting
    Round 4
    Jessaila: ((Indeed.))
    Isabis: “New priority! Get HIM out of HIS pit if at all possible.”
  • Jessaila again runs under Seian’s shadow and runs over to Jamshid.
  • Seiankornai would be doing a headdesk now, if he had a desk and didn’t need to take action
    Isabis: ((OK, so now I need to know, are they just pinched, such that the could concievably be pulled out, or are they spiked in or something?))
  • Seiankornai lowers his tail in, “Grab on!!”
    DM: ((Pinched, with some force behind it))
  • Thurirl looks frustrated, but figures he’d only be in the way. He moves back toward the entrance, telling Mala and Vari to get out.
  • Seiankornai looks around, “Where’s Axhar?”
    Jessaila: ((Is it something we can push apart?))
    Isabis: ((so what check would concievably get them out, strength? Can I wedge it with my long stick?))
    DM: ((Str would help, or possibly disabling the trap itself))
  • Jessaila looks for a way to disable the trap.
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur grabs the tail and begins to climb out
    Thurirl: ((…shoulda told me a little sooner, guys. =P))
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: Acrobatics 24 or Athletics 20
    DM: Jamshid makes it part way out with Athletics. His legs are still in the trap
    DM: ((notich check Jess))
    Jessaila: « 1d20+12 = 11 + 12 = 23 » Notice
    DM: *notice
  • Axhar flies to the skeleton
    Axhar: ^toward
    Isabis: *The skeleton tries to pull itself out with « 1d20+2 = 7 + 2 = 9 » athletics
    Jessaila notices a loose tile that flipped Jamshid into the pit. Beneath it are some gears
    DM: ((skeleton pulls in vain.))
  • Jessaila takes out her saber and starts smashing the gears.
  • Seiankornai tries pulling Jamshid out ((Athletics « 1d20+7 = 6 + 7 = 13 »))
  • Jessaila strikes with elfin speed and her fencing sabre. « 1d20+6 = 6 + 6 = 12 » tohit, « 1d10 = 9 » for damage.
    Jessaila’s blade lacks the proper timing, and simply bonces off the gears
    Jessaila: ((If necessary, will use the blade-guard or pommel to batter, rather than the blade.))
    Isabis: *The skeleton tries again to pull itself out with « 1d20+2 = 20 + 2 = 22 » athletics, because skeletons aren’t too smart
    Skeleton also starts to free itself
    DM: (anyone else still to act?)
    DM: « 2d6 = 9 » damage to skeleton
  • Isabis takes the presumably-critical scepter to the door
    Thurirl: ((I’m going to start disabling the full blade trap if I can.))
    DM: « 2d6 = 10 » damage to Jamshid
    Isabis: *skeleton saves for « 1d20+3 = 10 + 3 = 13 » vs 18
    Isabis: *skeleton burns a grade of toughness
  • Seiankornai tries to pull Jamshid out again! « 1d20+7 = 5 + 7 = 12 »
    Seiankornai: “Grr, can’t geta good grip on you!”
    DM: anyone else?
    Seiankornai: ((unless that can count as an assist to Jamshid’s own check, in which case he’d get a +2 to it))
    Isabis: ((I’m done))
  • Jessaila just starts helping pull Jamshid out.
    The area of shadow nears the throne… and the stone disk breaks several more vines
    Round 5
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur attempts to wriggle out of the trap 25
    Jessaila: « 1d20+12 = 1 + 12 = 13 » Acrobatics to aid Jamshid.
  • Thurirl begins to wish he had stayed to help… this is not looking good…
  • Axhar flies to the skeleton and casts Fly on it
    DM: ((no help from Jess
    Jamshid manages to free himself, though
    Isabis: *Skeleton uses it’s sword to lever aside one side of the trap with strength « 1d20 = 6 » and tries to pull out its legs « 1d20+2 = 20 + 2 = 22 »
    The skeleton is also free!
  • Seiankornai grabs Jamshid and heads out of here before he can get in more trouble
    DM: don’t know how he’s supposed to make it through the traps though…
    Isabis: “Come to the door by the side without the acid spray and blades!”
    Seiankornai: “Coming, Jess?”
    Jessaila: “As if I want to stay…”
  • Thurirl attempts to disable the other blade trap to ensure a better path. (Prestidigitation: « 1d20+12 = 8 + 12 = 20 »)
    Thurirl takes dow the rest of the blades
    Isabis: *Skeleton lumbres through the fire-wall, avoiding flare-ups for « 1d20+4-2 = 3 + 4 – 2 = 5 »
    DM: « 3d6 = 7 » damage to skeleton
  • Thurirl waves the others over, casting glances at the far side of the room…
  • Isabis makes a damage save for « 1d20+3 = 9 + 3 = 12 » vs 13 and a save vs. catching fire of « 1d20+2 = 8 + 2 = 10 » vs 7
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur spares a glance back toward his best javelin but keeps going
    Isabis: *The skeleton incinerates, dropping it’s sword at Jessaila’s feet
    You whisper to Jessaila: want to loot that?
  • Jessaila snatches up the sword.
  • Isabis casts light on her trap-finding stick
    DM: axhar might want to get moving…
  • Seiankornai keeps moving on
  • Isabis stands just outside the door
  • Thurirl brings out his dagger and casts a light spell on it, holding it up high as a beacon.
    Most of the party nears the door
  • Axhar flies after them
  • Jessaila runs like a madwoman.
    The light is only shining on the throne now, and few vines hold it in place.
    Round 6
  • Isabis clears the doorway, only holding her light-on-a-stick over the top of the door frame to light everyone’s way
  • Thurirl stays near the door as well, trying to make sure everyone gets out, casting one last glance at the throne and those vines…
  • Seiankornai goes out as quickly as possible, pauses a moment at the spikes with skeletons to be sure they’re not going to come crashing down on him
    The rest of the party hurries out of the room, and to safety.
  • Isabis takes the scepter and waves it over the sunpool
    Outside, they meet an emassary from the king, who looks amazed at your return
    Isabis: ((or not, then))
    Jessaila: ((A what?))
    King’s Representative: "You have survived!
    Seiankornai: “Um, yes, who are you?”
    King’s Representative: “I represent the king. We have sent many into the tomb, but you are the first to return alive, except for those who didn’t even set foot inside, of course.”
  • Thurirl seems a bit surprised, but is sure to move out of the way of the trap with the skeletons.
    Isabis: “How did you even know we were here going in?”
    The sunpool is now green behind the offical.
  • Jessaila whispers to Isabis, "Did we travel back in time or something?))
    Isabis: “I mean, we didn’t even know we were going to be here going in until…less than an hour ago, I think?”
    King’s Representative: “Why, I hired you! You have my instructions give to you on a scroll.”
    Isabis: “…”
    Isabis: “Right. Here’s your sceptre.”
    The officical suddenly looks concerned. “Perhaps the king’s doctors can do something for your memory loss.”
  • Thurirl is glad Isabis is willing to play along. This is probably just an unusual illusion of some kind… probably.
    Jessaila: “What year is this?”
    The offical gladly takes the scepter from you.
    Jessaila: “Just to be, yanno, perfectly clear.”
    You whisper to Grok: What polity do I think this guy was king of?
    Axhar: “Do I know you from somewhere?”
    The offical looks at this strange, talking object, and quickly makes his departure with the scepter
    Isabis: “I…can’t decide if I want to jump back in the sunpool this instant before the cosmos implode, or run away and spend half a lifetime in libraries before I come back to it. But I think we probably shouldn’t do things like trying to warn the current king of impending doom or anything.”
    Jessaila is disconnected.
    DM: I was hoping to choose another challenge, and then end for the night
    Thurirl: “Best to be on our way. I doubt any of that was real… and if it was, I would not wish to meddle in the past. The ramifications for our present would not bode well.”
    Jessaila has connected.
    Seiankornai: “I’m guessing that if you ran far enough, you’d find hte edge of the world much sooner than one would expect.”
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “I don’t suppose they sell high quality orcish javelins here….”
  • Seiankornai wades into the pool
    After you return, you see the light has faded from another symbol
  • Seiankornai comments over his shoulder before he disappears, “Should’ve thought of that before throwing your best javelin.”
  • Isabis reluctantly follows Seian in
  • Thurirl follows into the sunpool, casting a nervous glance behind him.
    DM: ((So, where to next? Or perhaps, when to next?))
    Jessaila: ((Let’s go for this one next, I say.))
    Isabis: “Jessaila, do you still have the sword? It didn’t, oh, dissapear or anything?”
  • Jessaila still has a sword, yes.
    DM: ((yep))
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “I don’t see you complaining about not being a significantly thinner lizard….”
    Isabis: “So it wasn’t /just/ an illusion then. …I’m going to be second-guessing that quick departure for a long time.”
  • Isabis sighs
    Seiankornai: ((is Jamshid refering to me?))
    Jessaila: “Me too, I’m afraid. Seriously – did we just travel back in time and FAIL to investigate our forgotten history first-hand?”
  • Thurirl would just like to quietly get to the next challenge and forget about time travel. It is leagues beyond his thoughts, and outside his expertise.
    Seiankornai: ((not qutie understanding what he’s getting at))
    Thurirl: ((probably me =P))
    Thurirl: ((or not…))
    Isabis: ((he was reducing your chances of getting rolled out like dough by that big disc trap))
    DM: ((so, touching the city symbol?))
    Isabis: ((one moment please))
    Seiankornai: ((A city is fine, I suppose))
  • Isabis votes for the city too
  • Jessaila pulls out the prize sword and takes a swing or two to test it out.
    The sword is well balanced
    Isabis: ((Mooch says the city one is fine with her))
    Thurirl: ((no complaints myself))
    As you step into the sunpool again, you hear a voice in your head. "Sometimes an explorer needs more than just his own wits and luck. Sometimes he needs money. The difficulty is finding favor to launch an expedition, when you have a rival attempting the same.
    Jessaila: “Well balanced, has kept an edge and everything. Looks like an old elven court sword, but fully functional.”
    You appear in an eleborate chamber, with a young man before you.
    Isabis: ((“Hello sir, what year is this please?”))
    Young man: Now remember, the king won’t wish to speak to you until the last half hour, but that doesn’t mean you should just take it easy. Baron Talken will be working to win the king’s favor and impress the court, and so should you."
    Seiankornai: ((human or elven?))
    Seiankornai: ((or something else?))
    Young man: ((Fyi, this next one will be a competition to influence and win favor with the king. You will have an opponent doing the same with his party. Whoever comes out on top, wins.
    Young man: ((elven))
    Young man: Anyways, that will be all for tonight
    Thurirl: ((interesting… I hope our skills at persuasion are above par for this…))
    Young man: ((other skills may be helpful too.))
  • Isabis pats Jessaila’s shoulder and says “Well, oh leader, it looks like we get to experience some history after all.”
    Jessaila: “I’m the leader again? Oh dear…”

Log 50
Logs Index

Log 49

Sunchasers DH drgnhawk