Log 51

Main Page
Logs Index

Log 50

DM: Ok, DM is properly provisioned.
Jessaila: Huzzah
Jessaila: A well-fed DM is a happy DM is a merciful DM!
Isabis: We can hope anyway
Isabis: If the dice will just cooperate a little bit…
Jessaila: If we tell the DM he is merciful and we reward his mercy, then he becomes merciful!
You are on one side of a cliff, facing the other. Between you is a roughly 72 yard gap between the two, and a few hundred feet fall into the river below. Your task is to build a fairly substained bridge across this gap, while your flyers remain in a clear box over the river

  • Isabis looks around, considering what materials are available
    Nearby there is a forest down about 1/2 mile away
    Isabis: “Well, lets start with tools shall we?”
    Jessaila: “How much rope do we have?”
  • Thurirl is not skilled in building bridges. He defers to others and helps where he can.
    DM: Jamshid doesn’t list any rope on character sheet. Or any other equipment, for that matter.
    Isabis: (incomplete sheet; he started with a magic item, for one thing, and there has been shopping since)
  • Jessaila starts looking into rope supplies.
  • Seiankornai claws at the barrier again, and paces around the perimeter
    Isabis: ((Malain has rope, but apparently Mooch is falling offline))
  • Malaina has 50ft of silk rope
  • Seiankornai gets tired of trying to find an escape and therefore decides to make one of his own. He pulls out his drakehorn from his satchel, and plays for the amusement of the others and escapes into the music.
    Jessaila: “Okay. We don’t have enough rope to make a rope bridge.”
  • Isabis hunts in her pack and digs up 50’ of rope also
    Seiankornai: ((are there any vines or so forth to make into rope?))
    Malaina: ((We can check the forest))
    DM: ((not that you see from where you are…
    Isabis: “We might have enough to help us deal with the process, though. Frankly, I’d rather not leave all our rope here anyhow.”
    Isabis: “Lets go check out the forest.”
    Jessaila: “Agreed.”
  • Jessaila immediately heads off.
    Isabis: ((have the fliers discovered walls in their prison, or only a floor?))
  • Isabis goes with her
    DM: ((walls, floor, and ceiling
    Seiankornai: ((so we can’t follow them over the forest?))
    DM: ((nope.))
    Jessaila: ((Question. Are the sides of the canyon climbable?))
    DM: ((Technically, yes. However, they are rather smooth sided, so it will be a difficult climb))
    DM: ((whoever is searching the forest make a survival check to find the needed supplies))
  • Isabis seeks building supplies, or at least suitable tool-makings « 1d20+7 = 6 + 7 = 13 »
    Jessaila: « 1d20+11 = 17 + 11 = 28 » Survival
    Thurirl: ((I have climbing rope))
    Thurirl: ((or a climbing line, technically… either that or proficiency in it =P))
    Isabis finds sticks on the ground, and a few trees that might have potential. Jessaila finds vines, approximatedly 100 feet of it, if you tie it all together
    You have explored about 1/2 mile into the forest to find these items. YOu can keep looking if you desire farther in.
  • Jessaila takes the vines back to the main group.
  • Isabis wants to find some appropriately shaped rocks for purposes like hammering pegs
    Jessaila: “Guys, I need to ask what sort of bridge we actually want to build, here.”
    Jessaila: “If we build a truss bridge, we’re going to be at this a long time.”
  • Isabis wants even more to not be alone in the forest, so she comes back out with Jessaila, but she searches again while she goes « 1d20+7 = 6 + 7 = 13 »
    Malaina: “What about a rope bridge?”
    Jessaila: “But a rope bridge, even if we can’t carry as much weight on it, would be a lot less material and time-intensive.”
    Isabis: “Possible, if we can make a solid anchorage on both sides.”
    DM: ((doesn’t anyone carry a hammer anymore?)) No luck on the stones, unfortunately
    Jessaila: “We could theoretically make even a three-rope bridge.”
    Isabis: “Or…could we just build a sort of gang-plank deal, and then lower it over the canyon? It wouldn’t be strong enough for caravans, but maybe for foot travel.”
    Jessaila: ((I’m thinking something like this: http://www.dont-look-now.com/uploaded_images/rope.jpg ))
    Isabis: ((oh…I have a wood working kit, that’d have a small hammer. I’m looking for something to sledge in supporting stakes too though))
    Malaina: ((Link doesn’t work))
    Seiankornai: ((bad link, but you can just trim off the “%20))” in your browsers to see it))
    Jessaila: ((What about this? http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2420/2314737421_d9f90ea557.jpg ))
    Seiankornai: ((need double spaces, or use html tags))
    Seiankornai: ((Like so))
    Malaina: ((Something like that?))
    « 72*3 = 72 * 3 = 216 »
    Jessaila: ((That works.))
    Isabis: ((yeah, although again, it depends somewhat on finding good anchorage on the far side. And the near side.))
    Malaina: ((Maybe we could throw to something on the other side?))
    DM: ((78 yards, or 234 feet))
    Jessaila: ((I can’t throw something a hundred feet, let alone 263 feet. We’re going have to climb.))
    Jessaila: ((Oh, you changed the distance.))
    Seiankornai: ((can we flies go out over the canyon to the other side?))
  • Isabis thinks hard about the far side and suggests, "Maybe this is a time to think like Grok. We could make a little bit of siege, launch a starting line across.
    Jessaila: “Or use a kite.”
    DM: ((Nope, you are stuck pretty close to the middle, flyboys))
    Malaina: “Maybe Thurirl can float it across?”
    Seiankornai: ((bah))
  • Isabis tests the wind – would a kite work?
    Thurirl: “An excellent idea, Malaina.”
    Jessaila: “Or we could climb down the canyon, then cross and climb again.”
    Thurirl: “I do recall I have a climbing line with matching arrows, though I am unsure how useful it would be in this circumstance.”
    Jessaila: "Because we’d still have to secure a line on the other side, and we can’t do that unless someone’s over there.
    Isabis: “Thurirl, can you shoot it into something on the far side, so we can climb across to work on the far support structure?”
    Thurirl: “My levitation spell could prove far more useful.”
    DM: ((Wind direction 1-25 across the cliff, 26-50 downriver, 51-75 upriver, 76-100 in your face)) /roll 1d100
    DM: « 1d100 = 93 »
    Seiankornai: ((that is non-helpful ))
    Isabis: ((…the dice are NOT in a cooperative mood tonight I see))
    The wind is currently blowing towards you, so a kite may not work in your favor
  • Thurirl offers to levitate himself and maybe someone else over to secure a climbing line on the other side.
  • Malaina will go along
    Jessaila: “Oh, you can levitate yourself?”
    Isabis: “Can you move side-to-side with the magic, or so you still need an anchor line to pull on?”
    Isabis: (( make that “or do you” ))
    Seiankornai: ((he would, Levitate is up/down only; you can be pulled or pushed though))
    Jessaila: ((We need 1078 feet of rope to cross the 234’ gap with a three-rope bridge, with 4’ securing ropes every 5’.))
    Thurirl: “I believe it requires an anchor line. It is not a fly spell, not yet.”
    Thurirl: “Perhaps when my studies are more advanced, I can understand the forces required…”
    Jessaila: “Wait a second.”
    Jessaila: “You can levitate. How much?”
    Jessaila: “If you were at the bottom of the canyon wall, on the other side, could you just levitate from bottom to top?”
    DM: ((Not a bad idea))
    Jessaila: “Because I’ve got a spell that’d let me just jump over this cliff and not get hurt.”
    Jessaila: “So we don’t even have to fuss about with something as mundane as climbing.”
    Seiankornai: ((well, float down it and walk to the other side and not get hurt))
    Jessaila: ((Right.))
    Isabis: “So if we can just figure out how to anchor the ropes on both sides, and make enough rope, we can have you guys take it over and tie it down?”
    Malaina: “Sounds like a good plan.”
    Jessaila: “All right. I’ll get working on finding more vines for the ropes.”
    Jessaila: We’ll need to tie the bridge together on one side of the canyon, and then pull it across."
    DM: ((more survival checks to find more vines, unless you have another idea for finding them))
    Isabis: ((rope can be made – better! – from more things than vines. Grass, tree bark, long leaves, anything fiberous))
    Thurirl: Survival (to find suitable materials): « 1d20+2 = 13 + 2 = 15 »
  • Isabis helps search for rope makings, and looks for sledge-stones again too « 1d20+7 = 20 + 7 = 27 »
    Jessaila: « 1d20+11 = 19 + 11 = 30 » Survival, rope check.
    Isabis: (can I activate that crit?)
    DM: ((yep))
    DM: ((going to?))
    Isabis: (activating with 1 AD )
    Isabis finds a section of trees with all the vines you will need. No more need to look for vines, and possibly distrub the wildlife.
    Seiankornai: ((YAAAY))
    Thurirl: ((w00t))
    Isabis: ((but are there large useful rocks under those trees?))
    Malaina: ((Woohoo!))
    Isabis: “Jessaila! Look what I found! It’s the mother of all vine thickets!”
    DM: ((nope. Jessalia can’t find any vines, but she just stumbled onto a rocky section of the forest.))
    With a little bit of work, you should be able to get acceptable large rocks from here as well.
  • Isabis hauls vines to the canyon
    Jessaila: ((Rocks? What good are rocks?))
    DM: ((why did they have to remove use rope? Perfect skill for this section.))
    DM: ((Anchorage.))
    Jessaila: ((Oh. Well, I’d think anchored branches would be better.))
    Some of you work on your haul of vines, while you still confront the problem of how to get to the other side
    Isabis: ((good for pounding in the anchor stakes and stabilizing them))
    Seiankornai: ((use rope was merged into the grappling rules shrugs))
    Isabis: “Hasn’t anyone shot one of those climbing lines across yet?”
    DM: ((nope))
  • Isabis sets down a pile of vines and gets out her bow
  • Jessaila starts working the lines together.
    Thurirl: “I have not yet had the opportunity. Considering my lack of skill in archery, I may not be the preferred candidate for the attempt…”
  • Seiankornai continues to play his music
    The DM peacefully works on maps for the future
    Isabis: “Can I borrow one of the specialty arrows, then? I don’t carry that kind.”
  • Thurirl gladly hands her one.
    Thurirl: “Please aim carefully. I only possess a total of five.”
  • Malaina just waits to see what she can do to help
    Isabis: ((is there a suitable solid tree or similar anchorage on the other side to shoot at?))
    Isabis: “I will. Although, if I miss, we should be able to reel it back in by the line.”
    DM: ((there is a tree.))
  • Isabis ties the end of the line to something on this side, so we don’t get amusing accidents involving the whole line going across.
    Jessaila: “What are we doing with that arrow?”"
  • Isabis shoots at the tree with the arrow tied to the climbing line « 1d20+7 = 3 + 7 = 10 »
    DM: ((Drat. smart players))
    Thurirl: “We are attempting to create an anchor line.”
    Thurirl: ((heh))
    Jessaila: “We’re still going to climb over there and secure it, right?”
    DM: ((but not accurate ones. The arrow misses, and hits the cliff wall below the tree, and bounces off))
    Thurirl: ((Jah, ve is schmot guys!))
    Thurirl: “Indeed. However, since none of us possess a flight spell, we must improvise a solution.”
  • Isabis reels in the arrow and tries again
  • Isabis shoots at the tree with the arrow tied to the climbing line « 1d20+7 = 4 + 7 = 11 »
    Jessaila: ((Ve ist jonrah savvie.))
    DM: 1-50 arrow breaks, 51-100 arrow is still usable « 1d100 = 48 »
    Sorry, you needed to use another arrow to miss
    Isabis: ((what’s the AC on a tree anyway?!?))
  • Thurirl looks a little irked, but hands Isabis another arrow. Though he might try shooting one himself to increase their chances…
  • Seiankornai stops playing a moment, “Why not just use the levitation you mentioned before to bring it over?”
  • Isabis affixes the line carrier to one of her normal arrows (craft:woodworking « 1d20+13 = 4 + 13 = 17 »
  • Thurirl looks up and sighs. “It only levitates. One does not possess the ability to move about when under the spell’s influence.”
    Jessaila: “Um, yes.”
    DM: ((It’s not so much an AC, as you are trying to shoot into the wind, with a rope tied to it. Totally messes up aerodynmics of the arrow.))
    Thurirl: “You would still need an anchor line to move.”
    Jessaila: “No, you could just go to the bottom of the canyon, then levitate up to the edge.”
    The rope is tied to the arrow successfully
  • Isabis shoots at the tree with the modified arrow tied to the climbing line « 1d20+7 = 17 + 7 = 24 »
    Thurirl: ((yeah, my notes on Obsidian Portal indicate a -5 to range… which I’m not sure we’ve been adding in…))
    This time, the arrow successfully strikes the tree.
    Isabis: “OK, that was embarassing, but it’s in now.”
    DM: ((ehh, Grok would have tried to throw one of you over. That would have been worse.))
    Jessaila: ((My first 3.5 group did that with our gnome.))
    Isabis: “I’ll start working on the anchor posts now; someone else should probably start twisting rope.”
    Jessaila: ((We failed the first time then, too.))
    DM: ((Good for them!))
    Jessaila: “Well, I guess I’ll go across and anchor the line on the other side.”
  • Isabis crafts solid anchorage? « 1d20+13 = 11 + 13 = 24 »
  • Thurirl waits until Jessaila gets a good hold of the rope, then starts to cast his magic…
    Jessaila: ((What?))
    The anchorage on this side is solidly put together. Are you putting it in the ground, or using rock to afix it or something else?
    Thurirl: ((you were gonna climb across without levitation?))
    Jessaila: ((Yes? What good is it now?))
    DM: ((and the party learns about working together…))
    Jessaila: ((Oh, I see what you’re thinking.))
    Thurirl: ((It’s a levitation spell, not flight… it just makes you go up and down… at my direction, I believe…))
    Jessaila: ((You’re going to cast levitation on me so that I don’t weigh anything when I crawl across the rope.))
    Thurirl: ((yep))
    Thurirl: ((…so keep a tight hold, or you’ll blow all the way back to us))
    Jessaila: ((Yeah, that’s a whole lot more convoluted than what I thought you were proposing.))
    Thurirl: ((alternatively, take a flying leap and I’ll try casting it when you leave the ground =P))
    Thurirl: ((I’m sure my magic won’t backfire as you sail majestically off the cliff…))
    DM: ((Go ahead, cast your spell))
  • Thurirl uses his magic to pick up Jessaila off the ground, leaving the target ungrounded. (Target cannot attack without a cumulative -1 penalty (up to -5) as they spin around; Casting check: « 1d20+12 = 9 + 12 = 21 »; can lift 100 lbs/Casting Level)
    Jessaila: “Ooh, this is comfy. How long does this last?”
    DM: 1 min per casting level
    Thurirl: “The duration should be a few minutes. I suggest you use it wisely.”
    Jessaila uses the rope to cross to the other side. When her feet hit the ground on the far side, the prison of the drakes and Axher disappears
  • Vari starts to fall, but flaps his wings hard to gain altitude
    DM: ((good thing you used levitate. Otherwise the arrow wouldn’t have held.))
  • Thurirl blinks in surprise. Did they already succeed in the mission?
  • Seiankornai was distracted from that, still playing his horn, when the floor suddenly gives out from uner him, “RAAAARRR!?!?!”
  • Vari flies out of the way and makes his way over to Mala
    Axher floats over to the cliff where most of the party is.
    Isabis: “Huh. So it released as soon as we touched the other side? I think we should still finish the bridge, though, we’re supposed to leave something usable by others.”
    Jessaila: “No, maybe it’s just decided that since we’ve crossed the ravine, there’s no point to restraining our winged friends.”
  • Seiankornai quickly regains his orientation, and flies to one of the cliffs
    Seiankornai: “That was unexpected.”
    DM: ((Axher is now able to cast fly as needed.))
    Thurirl: “It would appear that indeed one condition has been fulfilled. Now we need only construct our permanent crossing and we will be able to leave for another challenge.”
    Isabis: “Well this it good, though, the drakes can fly the big lines across. And the posts, even more to the point.”
    DM: ((With flight available, as well as the proper materials, you will now need to 1. Braid or tie the ropes together 2. Construct a proper anchorage on the other side. 3. Attach vines to anchorages on both sides))
    Seiankornai: “Right, let’s us get to work.”
    DM: ((Says the lazy bum who has been playing music the whole time while others work hard…))
    Jessaila: ((We already braided the ropes together into the bridge.))
  • Isabis gives Seian the far-side anchor posts to carry across and starts pounding in the near-side posts a couple feet from the edge
    Seiankornai: ((hey, not my fault))
  • Seiankornai does so happily, now having something to actually do
    Thurirl: ((should I make a crafting check to help out?))
    DM: ((anyone have craft (tailoring)?))
    Malaina: ((Not I))
    Thurirl: ((don’t think so))
    DM: ((I think Jamshid did))
    Thurirl: ((I’m not a little gnome trying to get a powerful artifact to the Arch-Mage =P))
    DM: « 1d20+10 = 7 + 10 = 17 », « 1d20+10 = 18 + 10 = 28 », « 1d20+10 = 12 + 10 = 22 », « 1d20+10 = 11 + 10 = 21 »,
    Seiankornai: ((Thurirl: hehe))
    Thurirl: ((DM is rolling… should I worry?))
    Jamshid braids the vines together, and also creates the cross strip vines connecting the three vines
    DM: ((Still need to be done: anchorage point on the far side constructed, and then attaching the vines to the anchorage on both sides.))
    Isabis: “Thurirl, will you levitate me across?”
    Axher casts fly on Isabis
  • Seiankornai was taking care of the anchorage on the far side, at least in bringing it over
    DM: ((How are you setting up the anchorage so as to be stable? Post in the ground? Or some other method?))
  • Isabis flies over to help Seian
    Isabis: ((I’m pounding in the posts with the big rocks, pretty deep, and a couple feet back from the edge))
    Isabis: ((The posts have carved hooked tops so the ropes can tie on securely and won’t pull off easily))
  • Seiankornai goudges out an initial hole with his claws, then starts ramming the thing in with a big rock
    DM: ((Ok, craft check for the woodwork on the anchorage for this side, and then that should be about it))
  • Isabis backfills the hole when Seian is done and pounds the dirt in solid with another rock.
    Isabis: « 1d20+13 = 13 + 13 = 26 »
    The bridge is complete, and with your efforts, you have made a passable one person bridge. Not the most elegent, but it gets the job done. The red sunpool on the near side turns green.
    As you come back to the temple, you see yet another symbol has been grayed out. Which will be your next choice?
    Isabis: “Well, we’ve done air, shall we try water?”
    Seiankornai: “Can’t be any worse than being trapped up in the sky.”
    Isabis: “…you must have a very limited imagination.”
    Thurirl: “A swimming exercise would be most refreshing. If that is indeed what lies behind the symbol.”
    Seiankornai: “Mala, Vari, which one do you suggest?”
  • Malaina shrugs “We’ll go along to wherever everyone else chooses.”
    Thurirl: “And if we decide one of you should make the choice?”
    Malaina: “…that made no sense.”
    Isabis: “Just trying to get your opinion. We’re all guessing here, but the drakes should get a chance to pick among themselves I think, after that annoying box thing.”
    Seiankornai: “What did you mean by that, Thurirl?”
    Seiankornai: "Bah, it was my chopice that led us drakes into getting stuck "
    DM: ((True, true))
    Thurirl: “I was trying to suggest that we should all get a turn to choose. It is a fair way to deal with the situation.”
    Seiankornai: “Ah, yes.”
    Seiankornai: “So pick one, Vari, any one!”
  • Vari tilts his head
    Seiankornai: “Let’s have it be your turn, just pick anyone you want.”
  • Vari looks to Mala
  • Malaina smiles and nods her head
  • Vari makes his choice
    DM: ((The green/yellow surprise one?))
  • Seiankornai jumps into the pool
  • Jessaila follows forthwith.
  • Thurirl follows after to see what awaits them.
  • Malaina follows as well
    Emerging from the sunpool, you find yourself in a massive structure created of giant stone blocks. As you look around, a section of rock moves down to block what appears to be the only exit from this place. Your lights reveal that it looks like you are in another tomb, with a stone coffin in the middle.
    Thurirl: ((good thing I’ve got fight music going on already…))
    Seiankornai: “Oh, interesting.”
  • Thurirl doesn’t much care for being underground. No proper sunlight to warm yourself.
  • Isabis glows up her bowstave again
    The Voice speaks, “Sometimes an explorer might get in over his or her head. Sometimes they get trapped, their bones found centuries later by other explorers. A lucky few, however, get out on their own. But then again, you have your own way out, don’t you?”
    Jessaila: “Ah. So, deathtrap,”
    Examining the tomb, you note that you are indeed stuck in a giant enclosed tomb. You see no way out, and the stone that blocks your exit is far too heavy to move.
    Thurirl: “So it would appear.”
    Jessaila: “Yay.”
  • Isabis looks for the red sunpool, just by way of making sure of the emergency exit
    Thurirl: “…was that an expression of sarcasm?”
    Behind you and off to the side, a red sunpool glows faintly.
    Seiankornai: “So… search for hidden doors and so forth?”
    Isabis: “Nothing better to do. …well, maybe search for traps, too, while we’re at it.”
    Malaina: “Or someplace we can probably dig out.”
  • Isabis examines the coffin
    Jessaila: « 1d20+10 = 13 + 10 = 23 » Notice
    Thurirl: “Hopefully, the symbol leading here was not an indication that we must blast our way out. I am not certain of the structural integrity of our current location.”
    Isabis: « 1d20+13 = 4 + 13 = 17 » search
    DM: Jessaila notices writting and inscriptions on the wall
    Isabis: "If the structural integrity is poor, then we can blast our way out, and find the green sunpool.
    Seiankornai: “Oh, I’d enjoy blasting, wouldn’t you, Vari?”
  • Jessaila goes over to read the writings.
    Isabis: “It’d be a terrible mistreatment of an archeological site, but it’d be better than failing the test.”
    Jessaila: “Blast later. There’s stuff to read!”
    The coffin is slightly open, which appears to have triggered your current predictament.
    Seiankornai: “Eh, dead people are dead people, as long as you get the gold to safety it shoudl be fine.”
  • Thurirl ponders the words of the voice… he can’t help but feel there’s a riddle contained within…
  • Isabis pokes her bow and thus the light into the opening and tries to see if there’s really a body inside
    Much of the writting, written in man’s language, gives a history of the king and his reign. Tucked into a corner, however is the following question. “I am the beginning of the end, and the end of time and space. I am essential to creation, and I surround every place. What am I?”
    DM: You also notice random symbols, numbers, and letters around the walls as well.
    Jessaila: “Hey hey! Too bad we don’t have Grok. There’s a riddle for him.”
    Seiankornai: “Drat, we lack a Grok.”
  • Malaina tilts her head at the words
    There is in fact a desecated corpse in this tomb.
  • Thurirl refuses to believe the ogre would be vital to this mission.
    Malaina: “…..e.”
    Thurirl: ((*dessicated))
    Isabis: ((OK, knowledge check, is that riddle as familiar to my character as it is to me? « 1d20+12 = 7 + 12 = 19 » ))
    Jessaila: “I’d say the answer was ‘muffins’, but I’m not sure how they surround every place…”
  • Thurirl perks up. “Malaina?”
  • Isabis hmmms and removes her bow for the moment
    Isabis: “I suppose it can’t be as simple as closing the coffin properly. Let’s do that before we go, though.”
    Isabis believes she is familar with this riddle
    Seiankornai: “Something spook you, Mala?”
    Malaina: “The answer to the riddle. It’s E”
    Isabis: “I…know that riddle. It’s the letter e, this character here.”
    Seiankornai: “Oh…”
  • Isabis touches the character on the wall.
    Thurirl: “As in the letter? In the human alphabet?”
    Malaina: “Yes.”
    Isabis: “Right. Although assorted metaphysical answers have been suggested as well.”
  • Thurirl considers and his eyes lights up. “Indeed. Gramatically, the correct answer.”
    Jessaila: “…that’s a stupid riddle. It doesn’t work in any other languages, or if you’re a poor speller.”
    Seiankornai: “Not something profound like light, or time… hmmm, guess not time, it’s already a part of the riddle.”
  • Isabis pokes every “e” in the vicinity, working outward from the text of the riddle itself
  • Malaina frowns at Jess and goes to see if there is anything else to notice
    You touch this letter. It moves aside, and underneath is more writting and another riddle.
    DM: My life can be measured in hours, I serve by being devoured. Thin, I am quick Fat, I am slow Wind is my foe.
    DM: My life can be measured in hours, I serve by being devoured. Thin, I am quick. Fat, I am slow. Wind is my foe.
    Thurirl: “Well done, Malaina, Isabis! It seems these riddles may provide us with an escape. Or at least a way to pass the hours.”
    Isabis: “That sounds vaguely familiar too…”
    DM: ((that’s with proper puncuation.))
  • Malaina reads the riddle
    Seiankornai: “Hmm, can’t think of any prey that fits that description.”
    Malaina: “…..A candle.”
    Isabis: “Ah, yes.”
  • Thurirl smiles and nods to Malaina.
    Thurirl: “It would seem we do not need the ogre after all…”
    Jessaila: “Hum. I was thinking of clouds, but candles work too.”
    Isabis: “Someone blow a little fire into this hole, perhaps?”
    Seiankornai: “No, you can’t eat a cand- … …bah.”
    DM: ((DM struggling to find riddles no one has heard of…))
    Jessaila: “Nice thinking, Mala. Go little sis!”
    You again find and touch a candle, and another riddle confronts you.
    Isabis: ((This DM is modifying some logic problems for the next riddle-infused dungeon > ))
  • Seiankornai has a comment to make about the designers of this tomb, but will save it till we’re safely out of here, in case the place is intelligent.
  • Jessaila reads the next riddle.
    Whoever makes it, tells it not. Whoever takes it, knows it not. Whoever knows it, wants it not.
  • Thurirl ponders the riddle, wondering what it could mean.
    Seiankornai: “Oh, I know I heard of a similar riddle, but it had nothing to do with telling.”
    Thurirl: “Perhaps something abstract? A grudge?”
    Jessaila: “Fake money.”
    Seiankornai: “Sickness?”
    Isabis: “Sounds like a secret, sort of, but I don’t think that’s quite right…oh, a forgery? Maybe.”
  • Isabis looks for currency symbols or coins that might be fake
    Thurirl: “A forgery sounds quite plausible. You would not want others to know your currency is fake, and those who cannot recognize it would take it at face value. Those who do know it’s fake, will not accept it as payment.”
    Again finding the proper symbol, you uncover yet another riddle
    DM: Lighter than what I am made of, More of me is hidden, Than is seen.
    Isabis: “Ice! Wait, hidden?”
    Jessaila: “One of Logair’s friends loved that joke. He tried to convince Logair that the best way to conquer the human kingdoms was through the devaluation of currency.”
    Thurirl: “It seems we are advancing through these riddles at a respectable pace. Time will tell if we are chasing after the wind, or a rabbit.”
    Jessaila: “Icebergs, maybe.”
    Seiankornai: “What’s an iceberg?”
    Thurirl: “…yes. I have heard of the dangers of sailing in the north.”
    Isabis: “Oh, that makes sense.”
    Jessaila: “My pa told me of them. Big icecubes that float in the ocean.”
    Malaina: “Iceberg?”
    Thurirl: “I don’t remember the details… some large mountain or hill of ice floating in the sea…”
    Jessaila: “Dangerous to boats.”
    Thurirl: “Yes, something like that.”
    Yet another riddle solved, you come across the last riddle
    Seiankornai: “Sounds too fantasical to be real.”
    Thurirl: “Mostly dangerous because much of what they are is below the waterline.”
    Jessaila: “If you look at a cube of ice in a glass, most of it is submerged. So if you have an ice-mountain floating in the sea, it’s really big.”
    Isabis: “Seian, aren’t there any glacier mountains near your home lair?”
  • Malaina looks to see what the last riddle is
    Isabis: “It’s just like that but in the ocean.”
    Thurirl: “They are, thankfully, only dangerous near the north, or at certain times of the year, or so I’ve heard it…”
    DM: An iron horse with a flaxen tail. The faster the horse runs, the shorter his tail becomes. What is it?
    Seiankornai: “No.”
    Seiankornai: "Sounds like some dwarf work.
    Jessaila: “I’ve never heard of them in the north.”
    Jessaila: “Only in the south, because it’s colder.”
    Isabis: “An iron horse…”
  • Thurirl feels he should be familiar with this riddle…
    Malaina: “A needle and a thread.”
    Jessaila: ((Remember that we’re in the southern hemisphere, not the northern.))
    Isabis: ((indeed))
    Thurirl: “Excellent, Malaina!”
    Jessaila: “You’re really good at this, Mala!”
    Isabis: “I don’t see what speed has to do with it, but if you see a needle symbol poke it anyhow.”
  • Thurirl smiles at Mala and lays a hand on her shoulder.
  • Jessaila pats Mala on the back.
    The DM sighs. At the push of the final object, and needle and thread, the entrance which closed down, opens back up.
  • Malaina rubs the back of her neck, “Eh, I got tested with riddles by my pa.”
    The sunportal turns green.
  • Vari nuzzles Mala, feeling he done good this time
    Thurirl: “Simple. As you sew, more and more of the ‘flaxen tail’ is left behind… thus, you can make each pass in less time.”
    Seiankornai: “Yay! Good work Mala.”
    Jessaila: “Oh, sweet!”
    Isabis: ((DM, our characters come from a culture that considers riddles an intrinsic element of higher learning ))
  • Isabis goes for a peek outside
    Jessaila: “Six down, two to go!”
    DM: ((True. But I didn’t quite think it would be this easy.))
    DM: ((I go in dry and come out wet, The longer I’m in, the stronger I get. What am I?))
    Isabis finds a large desert area outside.))
  • Seiankornai looks for the green pool
    Isabis: “Well, let’s close the coffin and wade back through.”
    DM: ((The pool has turned green))
    Isabis: “This poor fellow doesn’t need to be left open to insects and so on.”
    Malaina: ((Hmmm…a tea bag))
    Jessaila: “Ugh. Now this is an unpleasant looking place.”
  • Malaina heads into the pool, Vari right behind her
  • Isabis shoves the coffin lid
  • Seiankornai enters the pool
    DM: ((Curses!))
    DM: ((So, which of the 5 do you now choose?))
    Thurirl: ((If I’m ever stuck in an evil maze of riddles, I’m calling Mooch. =P))
    Seiankornai: ((who has yet to chose a rune?))
    Jessaila: ((I chose the city, Vari chose the riddles, Seian chose the bridge, don’t recall who chose the ruins or the sailing test.))
    Isabis: ((I think I chose the sailing test))
    DM: I think Isabis did sailing, if I remember correctly))
    Thurirl: ((I know I put my hand on a symbol… not sure which one, or if it was my choice.))
    DM: ((Looks like it’s Malaina’s choice.))
    Malaina: ((Mine? Has Jess chosen?))
    Jessaila: ((Yes.))
    Jessaila: ((I chose the city.))
  • Malaina looks over the remaining symbols
    Seiankornai: “Well, now I’m curious what the skull is, if it’s not the death trap. Not curious enough to find out right now, though.”
    Isabis: ((Is That green one still available?))
    DM: ((yes))
    DM: ((So, is that what you are choosing?))
    Jessaila: “I suspect the skull one may be combat.”
    Malaina: ((Yes))
    Jessaila: “You’ll notice that the tests so far have been aspects of the sunchaser’s various skills. Combat is one of them.”
    Jessaila: “One of the more… brawling aspects of problem-solving.”
    Isabis: “We should sleep overnight here and take that one on rested then, when we’re ready for it.”
    You again activate another symbol. After emerging from the sunpool, you find yourself in a forest.
  • Isabis looks around
    Trees surround you, and sticks lie underfoot. Vines dangle down, and you can see the light of the sun through the trees.
  • Vari stands protectively close to Mala
    Isabis: “I suppose it’s too much to hope that if we walk a quarter mile the right way we’ll find our bridge.”
  • Jessaila casts Endure Elements on herself.
    Seiankornai: “Mostly likely. I suppose it’s also too much to hope I can just brun my way through all this.”
    DM: ((Please come to the forest map))
    DM: ((go ahead and place your tokens down))
    Isabis: ((Can we have a reference point? Red sunpool or something?))
    The vines around you move!
  • Malaina gets her katana ready just in case
    Roll Init
  • Jessaila springs into action. « 1d20+13 = 19 + 13 = 32 » Initiative.
    Malaina: « 1d20+9 = 20 + 9 = 29 » Malaina and Vari’s Initiative
    Isabis: « 1d20+6 = 20 + 6 = 26 »
    Seiankornai: « 1d20+6 = 16 + 6 = 22 » Init
    Thurirl: Initiative: « 1d20+8 = 6 + 8 = 14 »
    Jessaila: “Aw, that’s cute – just like my vegetable garden back in the Gron’ver!”
  • Thurirl looks rather alarmed. Suddenly, all those dwarven stories about the “evil trees” start to make sense…
    DM: « roll 1d20+4 = Invalid expression: roll 1d20+4. »
  • Malaina already in one of her stances
    DM: « 1d20+4 = 15 + 4 = 19 »
    Seiankornai: “Hmm, so see anything interesting yet, now that the vines have moved out of the way?”
    Jessaila has received initiative.
  • Jessaila strikes out with her rapier.
  • Jessaila strikes with elfin speed and her fencing sabre. « 1d20+6 = 2 + 6 = 8 » tohit, « 1d10 = 3 » for damage.
    You see vines attempting to grapple with you and choke you.
    Jessaila: ((Aw. The dicelove hath departed me.))
  • Seiankornai isn’t slow on the uptake, just arrogant that plants aren’t a threat
    DM: ((miss))
    DM: ((Mal and Isabis, feel free to act at the same time.
    Seiankornai: “What are you doing?” he asks Jess
    Isabis: “Seian, don’t get cocky. The ogres didn’t think they’d be defeated by grass either.”
  • Thurirl has his sword out already…
    Malaina: « 1d20+10 = 2 + 10 = 12 » Katana; Cavalry, Keen 4, Grip, Bleed
    Jessaila: “Assassin vines. We need to clear them before they attack us.”
    DM: ((Another miss))
    Seiankornai: “Ah, I see.”
    Malaina: ((I get another attack, right?))
    DM: ((Yes))
    Malaina has received initiative.
    Malaina: « 1d20+10+1 = 4 + 10 + 1 = 15 » Katana; Cavalry, Keen 4, Grip, Bleed
    Vari: « 1d20+5 = 9 + 5 = 14 » Claw Attack; 19-20 Threat Range @ Vine 6
    Vari: « 1d20+5 = 11 + 5 = 16 » Claw Attack; 19-20 Threat Range @ Vine 6
    DM: ((Vari finally hits with his last attack))
    Vari: « 1d8+2 = 5 + 2 = 7 » Claw Damage
    DM: « 1d20+6 = 7 + 6 = 13 » health
    Isabis has received initiative.
    DM: Isabis and Seiankornai both can go
    DM: ((We can finish up a round, and then call it a night.))
  • Seiankornai bites at vine 5
    Hits « 1d20+10 = 16 + 10 = 26 » for « 1d10+7 = 4 + 7 = 11 » damage, AP 1
    DM: « 1d20+6 = 6 + 6 = 12 »
    Seiankornai: Munch Munch “I dislike salad, you know, it’s food’s food’s food.”
    DM: ((Seian, poke your wife.))
  • Isabis slashes with her hand-claw, hitting « 1d20+6 = 3 + 6 = 9 » for possible damage « 1d6+1 = 4 + 1 = 5 »
    DM: ((miss))
  • Isabis slashes with her hand-claw again, hitting « 1d20+6 = 9 + 6 = 15 » for possible damage « 1d6+1 = 5 + 1 = 6 »
    DM: ((and miss again))
    DM: any other action, Seian?
  • Seiankornai then idly claws the unnumbered vine
    Hit « 1d20+10 = 11 + 10 = 21 » for « 1d8+7 = 1 + 7 = 8 » damage, AP 1
    Seiankornai has received initiative.
    DM: Vine grapples with Isabis « 1d20+9 = 5 + 9 = 14 »
    DM: Vine grapples with Jess « 1d20+9 = 5 + 9 = 14 »
  • Seiankornai 5ft steps and Contemptuously bites vine 2
    Hits « 1d20+10 = 12 + 10 = 22 » for « 1d10+7 = 9 + 7 = 16 » damage, AP 1
    DM: ((Athletics))
    Isabis: « 1d20+6 = 5 + 6 = 11 » vine-be-gone!
    DM: « 1d20+6 = 2 + 6 = 8 »
    Isabis: ((I’m so getting strangled 9.9 ))
    DM: Vine grapples with Vari « 1d20+9 = 3 + 9 = 12 »
    Seiankornai: “Ehhhhh, I suppose these could make a decent garnish, but definitely not a full and proper meal.”
    DM: Jess and Vari need to make an opposed athletics check, 14 and 12
    DM: Then Thuril is up
    Vari: « 1d20+2 = 3 + 2 = 5 »
    Jessaila: ((I think I need to put points into Athletics. ))
    Jessaila: « 1d20+1 = 7 + 1 = 8 » Athletics
    Vari and Jess are both grappled
    Thurirl has received initiative.
    DM: Thurirl?
  • Thurirl decides to help out the others, stepping to the side so he has a clear view…
  • Thurirl fires off three rays of intense heat, burning into his targets with the fury of his magic!
    (Casting Check: « 1d20+12 = 10 + 12 = 22 » Damage: « 3d4 = 7 » per ray; AP 5)
    DM: « 1d20+6 = 7 + 6 = 13 »
    DM: action die « 1d8 = 6 »
    Seiankornai: ((two more saves, too))
    DM: wait, each ray does 3d4 damage?
    Seiankornai: ((yep, and triggers damage seperately))
    DM: Forget the action die then…
    Seiankornai: ((hehe, dunno if you can boost a damage save anyway))
    As you deal with most of the vines, you see shambling mounds move towards you, living up to their names. In the distance, you hear the cackle of a female voice, which sounds slightly unnatural
    DM: init Shambling mounds « 1d20+3 = 11 + 3 = 14 »
    Seiankornai: “Ummmm, that’s not encouraging…”
    DM: Init cackler « 1d20=8 = 10 »
    DM: « 1d20+8 = 11 + 8 = 19 »
    Seiankornai: “Hmm, unless that female voice is a person made of meat.”
    Malaina: ((Did we ever hear the voice that usually gives us clues?))
  • Seiankornai is definitely ready to do some proper hunting, as it’s been quite awhile
    DM: ((not this time.))
    Thurirl: ((good question… I don’t recall it talking to us… though apparently that’s ’cause it thinks this part is obvious… =P))
    DM: ((Ok, what do I need to do to save the Init order?))
    Seiankornai: ((I need to save it on the hosting end))
    Thurirl has received initiative.
    Jessaila has received initiative.
    DM: ((Please do so, then.))
    Seiankornai: ((k))
    Isabis: ((we can reconstruct it from the chat log if that goes wrong, though, so be sure to save that too ))
    DM: ((Btw, dang, these things go down way fast.
    DM: How do I save chat again? Btw, we will be done for the night, for those you who may want to go.

Log 52

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 51

Sunchasers DH drgnhawk