Log 57

Main Page
Logs Index
Log 56

You are poling upriver on an old boat you got from some suspicious, not to mention arrow-happy, fellows near the city of Thieves.
Seiankornai: ((the messenger, it’s a classic))

Grok: ((you know, at this rate, someone is going to invest in the riding focus for boats))

The messenger who delivered your invitation to hear a job pitch from the Riddlemasters has already taken off on some other job – something about “delivering a message to the gods” which he avvers cannot be harder than delivering a message to a sunchaser.
Seiankornai: ((it would make sense, yes, but it won’t be Seian))

Seiankornai: (( * Seian calls after him “Hey! That’s my job!” ))

It is later afternoon, and you are about half a day below Longtooth’s Roar, the falls that mark the edge of the Gronver (and the associated portage).
Seiankornai: ((as in coming to it or past it?))

Malaina: ((Can I ask where on the map are we?))

Dragonhawk: ((coming up to it. Do you want to push on, camp for the night, something else?))

Grok: ((find the local temple, put it on the alter, perhaps burn it, job’s done))

Malaina: ((Cool, thank you!))

Dragonhawk: ((Grok: That’s about what the messenger figures. The tricky part is getting them to sign for reciept ))

  • Grok is in favor of pushing onwards, to glory!
  • Thurirl is ready to leave at a moment’s notice. Sooner, in fact.
    Grok: ((did we sign the reciept?))
  • Jessaila is also prepared to leave.
  • Isabis signed a reciept for the letter; the Riddlemasters persist in acting as though she was in charge of the group so it was addressed to her.
    Seiankornai: ((I think so))

Seiankornai: ((we’re passed preparing to leave ))

  • Malaina enjoying the view as they are going down the river
    Grok: ((The ship has the left the building!))

Grok: ((So is pushing onwards continuing on the river, or over land?))

Isabis: ((River unless you say otherwise))

  • Grok is disappointed that the river doesn’t seem to have any fun river monsters in it
    Seiankornai: “There can’t be river monsters everywhere on the river, Grok.”

You pole on, vaguely indecisive about where to stop for the evening. Isabis fries fish while the others debate.

  • Thurirl enjoys dragging his tail in the river.
    Grok: “Why not?”

Isabis: “They chase each other away.”

Seiankornai: “And humans chase them away too.”

Jessaila: “Because they’re afraid of you and are trying to escape your mighty presence.”

Seiankornai: “Taht too.”

Grok: “Smart monsters. Get to live.”

Jessaila: “Not all enemies are dumb.”

Jessaila: “Unfortunately.”

Isabis: (Kamil) “And I don’t blame them a bit, but I almost wish there was one. He needs a bath, and a swim would at least help.”

Thurirl: (Kamil) “I would volunteer to teach him to swim, but I fear I may be tempted to teach him how to sink.”

Jessaila: (Kamil) “Maybe there could be a false alarm?”

Grok: ((Grok can swim, better than any of you))

Thurirl: ((not that any of us know that though =P))

  • Malaina goes to sit next to Thurirl, having a question for him
    Grok: ((I went diving for the sunken ship!))

Malaina: ((Yea, he did))

  • Thurirl smiles and nods to Malaina.
    Grok: ((Swim is under atlethics))

Malaina: ((Now I am not sure if I should ask him here))

Thurirl: ((go ahead))

Grok: ((not I))

Malaina: “I have to ask, before you left your tribe, did you ever get into any battles with the Black Erron?”

Thurirl: “I did, once or twice. It is where I earned my title, defending my village against raiders. Though I do not believe all of them were rootwalkers.”

Malaina: “Have you ever met a rootwalker that wasn’t out to kill you?”

Thurirl: “…I believe so, yes. I have not talked with them much though, as you might understand. Even the non-violent rootwalkers reminded me of those bloody, dangerous battles… and also of their brethren that I had ‘educated’…”

Thurirl: “Besides, everyone in that city seemed eager to share their gods with me. And I was just passing through, on my way out of the swamp to other ventures.”

You whisper to Thurirl: something nips Thurirls tail where it’s dangling in the water.
Seiankornai: “You should have called on us, the drakes, to help. Trees burn nicely.”

  • Jessaila points to one of the banks. “That looks like a safe place to stop for the night, if we’re wanting to cook a meal and get some sleep.”
  • Thurirl starts a little and lifts his tail out of the water.
  • Malaina looks to where Jess is pointing and nods
    Jessaila: “High enough above the river that we shouldn’t be observed by anything on it.”

Suddenly, the pole Jessaila is leaning on drops out from under her.
Isabis: reflex vs. 18 to avoid falling overboard

Grok: ((Yeah, sea monsters!))

Jessaila: « 1d20+9 = 9 + 9 = 18 » Reflex

  • Thurirl doesn’t seem to find anything on his tail, but he hears the pole slip into the water, barely.
    Jessaila: “I think it’d AACK!”
  • Malaina stands up quickly
    Grok: « 1d20+8 = 19 + 8 = 27 »
  • Jessaila nearly tumbles out of the boat but barely manages to stay in, balancing on one foot.
  • Seiankornai looks behind him, “What? Grok, are you attracting monsters again?!?”
    Grok: reflex
  • Malaina goes to help Jess
  • Thurirl climbs to his feet, muttering about a pleasant boat trip ruined.
    Behind Seiankornai in the water, there is the sound of someone blowing a raspberry
    Grok: “no good monsters here!”

Seiankornai: “Wha…?”

  • Thurirl goes over toward the noise, curious as to its origins.
  • Jessaila gets lower in the boat and draws her saber.
  • Seiankornai goes over to investigate ((« 1d20+8 = 1 + 8 = 9 » search))
  • Jessaila checks something out. « 1d20+9 = 8 + 9 = 17 » Investigate
    Seiankornai stumbles over Grok’s unattended weapon (dratted loose cannon)
    Seiankornai: ((« 1d20+4 = 6 + 4 = 10 » reflex))

Seian falls in the water
Seiankornai: “RAAWK!!”

Grok: “No kick my cannon!” Grok shouts.

  • Malaina gets splashed
  • Thurirl blinks as the drake causes a large splash.
    Under the surface, the river is full of strange-looking elves riding hippocampi (horses with dolphin tails) and waving spears at you. Some of them are making faces too.
  • Grok picks up his cannon and makes sure it is ok.
  • Malaina huffs as she squeezes water out of her hair
    Jessaila: “What is it?”
  • Thurirl notices their visitors and stares at them out of curiosity. “Fascinating.”
  • Seiankornai ’s head above water, sputtering, “Grrr, who did that?!”
    Jessaila: “You did.”
Jessaila: “You tripped on Grok’s cannon.”

Malaina: “Yes, you did, we all saw you.”

Jessaila: “I think it’s scarred for life now.” Jessaila: “Are they hostile?”
  • Seiankornai lowers his head into the water a little, along with bubbling mutters
  • DolphinNationElf rears up out of the water on his hippocampus. The mount whinnies; the elf shouts something half-incomprehensible in garbled Melios to the effect that “Sharpie” will feel the revenge of “Stickman”
  • Seiankornai looks around a moment later and sees the elves
  • Malaina archs an eyebrow at the elf, looking more confused then impressed
    Jessaila: “Seian, I’d suggest getting out of the water. They’re talking about revenge or something.”

DolphinNationElf: (Kamil, underwater) “Captain, Stickman didn’t say anything about sharpie travelling with a drake…”

  • Thurirl looks at the man with the same amount of curiosity.
    Seiankornai: “I heard.”
  • Seiankornai swims for the bank
  • Seiankornai climbs up out of the water and shakes it off
    Jamshid par-Bahadur: “See, this is why I stay away from water”
Jessaila: ((So did we lose the pole we needed to propell the boat?))
  • DolphinNationElf attempts to prevent Seian from reaching shallow water. Using his spear.
    DolphinNationElf: (roll init or atttempt diplomacy, Seian)

Grok: W “Go away, or Grok beat you up.”

  • Seiankornai responds to the spear in halting Kamalil, “Hey, I’ve done nothing to you and don’t want your territory.” ((Impress « 1d20+8 = 14 + 8 = 22 »))
    Grok: resolve
  • DolphinNationElf is impressed, somewhat « 1d20+3 = 3 + 3 = 6 »
    DolphinNationElf: “Yike! Captain, what do I do with the drake?”
  • DolphinNationElf gets out of Seian’s way
    Seiankornai: “You listen to him and do as he says which is to leave him alone.”
  • Jessaila tries to get the boat ashore.
  • DolphinNationElf waves his spear “Hey, you hang out with Stickman’s rivals, you get what’s coming to you. Right guys?”
  • DolphinNationElf looks over his shoulder. A few of the other riders close on Seian’s position.
    Jessaila: “Who’s Stickman?”
  • Grok attempts to keep any elves from getting close with his intimidating presence and not so subtle hand gestures « 1d20+12 = 10 + 12 = 22 » Intimidate
  • DolphinNationElf is intimidated, somewhat « 1d20+3 = 19 + 3 = 22 »
    Grok: ((blast))
  • Thurirl readies a stance and takes out his bow with as little movement as possible.
  • Malaina also gets ready to battle if do attack
    Grok: ((and so does grok)) « 1d6 = 4 »
  • DolphinNationElf Captain keeps his men menacing the boat. You see that you are loosely surrounded. One near the bow thorws the broken pole back onto the deck
    DolphinNationElf: « 1d6 = 5 »

Grok: ((Although DMs get action dice 1 step higher than PCs.))

Seiankornai: ((true, but I don’t think she’ll opt for a reroll))

  • Seiankornai tries to go back for the boat then
    Grok: ((Thurirl is there, you just can’t see him.))

Seiankornai: ((that works))

  • Seiankornai clambers aboard if the river elves don’t stop him
    Seiankornai: “Now we know why you didn’t find any river monsters Grok, too many river pests in the area.”
  • DolphinNationElf Captain gestures to the others (Kamil) “OK, men, they’ve heard, now get the boat.”
  • Jessaila gets out of Seian’s way, and helps if she can.
    Grok: “A light dawns in Grok’s eyes, and now he’s out for blood.”
  • Seiankornai roars back at them “What do you want!?!”
    The ring of spearmen tightens on the boat underwater.
    Grok: W “you scare away Grok sea monsters! You die now!”
  • Grok jumps in and goes after them, after dropping his cannon again
    Seiankornai: W “I don’t think they can’t understand you Grok.”

DolphinNationElf: init

Grok: Grok acts quickly, with a roll of « 1d20+9 = 7 + 9 = 16 » Malaina: « 1d20+10 = 2 + 10 = 12 » Malaina and Vari’s Initiative

Seiankornai: Init « 1d20+7 = 18 + 7 = 25 »

DolphinNationElf: init « 1d20+8 = 19 + 8 = 27 »

  • Jessaila springs into action. « 1d20+13 = 1 + 13 = 14 » Initiative.
    Thurirl: Initiative: « 1d20+8 = 18 + 8 = 26 »
Isabis: init « 1d20+8 = 4 + 8 = 12 »

Grok: ((around a +7 by my calculation. Obsidian portal is out of date for him))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: Init 24

  • Grok attacks the dolphin warrior 40
    Grok: ((nope))
Grok: Grok smashes the foe down with brute strength! « 1d20+13 = 17 + 13 = 30 » for « 1d4+10 = 4 + 10 = 14 » damage

Grok: ((if I have 4 or more ranks in athletics, i thought i negated them))

Seiankornai: ((so it appears))

  • DolphinNation_Warrior 40 saves for « 1d20+5 = 13 + 5 = 18 » vs 17
    Each of the warriors spears a hole in your boat, then attempts to remove his spear:
    DolphinNation_Warrior 40: Remove spear, vs 15 (clockwise from #53) « 1d20+2 = 17 + 2 = 19 » « 1d20+2 = 8 + 2 = 10 » « 1d20+2 = 16 + 2 = 18 » « 1d20+2 = 1 + 2 = 3 » « 1d20+2 = 7 + 2 = 9 » « 1d20+2 = 19 + 2 = 21 » « 1d20+2 = 13 + 2 = 15 » « 1d20+2 = 18 + 2 = 20 » « 1d20+2 = 1 + 2 = 3 »

Seiankornai: SNARLSLEAVE US ALONE!”

Grok: ((2 errors))

Grok: ((If one of them is next to grok, he will activate, otherwise no))

Grok: ((Won’t help grok, never mind))

Thurirl has received initiative.
Malaina: ((I’ll use an AD to activate one of the errors))

Grok: ((Didn’t someone just get a magic item with the always ready trait?))

DolphinNation_Warrior 40: ((which one? Nearest you?))

Malaina: ((Yea))

  • DolphinNationWarrior 48 accidentally gets his spear stuck /above/ the waterline, right next to Malaina.
    Seiankornai: “Don’t make me use fire!” (Threaten, at 53 « 1d20+10 = 11 + 10 = 21 » vs Resolve, and at 21 « 1d20+10 = 17 + 10 = 27 » vs Resolve)

Seiankornai: ((for « 1d6 = 4 », and « 1d6 = 1 » stress damage))

  • DolphinNationWarrior resolves not to be afraid of fire: for 53 « 1d20+3+2 = 7 + 3 + 2 = 12 » ; for 21 « 1d20+3+2 = 4 + 3 + 2 = 9 »
    Grok: ((so how do they hear the threaten then?))
  • DolphinNationWarrior s 53 and 21 apparently thing Seian can boil the river (idiots)
    Seiankornai: ((OH, Seian can boil the river, at least the part near someone))
  • DolphinNationWarrior 53 saves for « 1d20+5 = 11 + 5 = 16 » vs 12
  • DolphinNationWarrior 21 saves for « 1d20+5 = 4 + 5 = 9 » vs 10
  • DolphinNationWarrior 21 turns to flee
  • DolphinNationWarrior Captain yells “Coward!”
  • Thurirl acts with great haste (Surge of Speed) and takes up a more sure-footed stance ideal for archery (Deadshot Stance).
    Seiankornai has received initiative.
    Grok: ((free move half action, which stances are movement actions))

Jessaila is disconnected.

  • Thurirl lines up and shoots an arrow at his foe!
    Attacks « 1d20+8+2 = 2 + 8 + 2 = 12 » for « 1d6+2 = 2 + 2 = 4 » damage, AP 4.
    DolphinNationWarrior: ((Jamshid can go))

Jessaila has connected.
Grok: ((damage, but each damage are different categories))

Jamshid par-Bahadur: “Fire at Will” (everyone who can hear and see Jamshid gets +2 morale to ranged attack rolls until otherwise noted)

  • Thurirl lines up and shoots an arrow at his foe!
    Attacks « 1d20+8+2 = 1 + 8 + 2 = 11 » for « 1d6+2 = 1 + 2 = 3 » damage, AP 4.
    Thurirl loses two arrows before he remember to aim a little off-center because of the refraction. How embarassing.
    Jamshid par-Bahadur has received initiative.
    Grok has received initiative.
  • Jamshid par-Bahadur moves to provide shield cover to Isabis (Phalax tactics stance, +2 defense and reflex saves to adjacent allies) and attacks the nearest enemy (Attack 16 for 13 ap4,bleed)
  • DolphinNationWarrior 21 saves for « 1d20+5 = 4 + 5 = 9 » vs 16
  • Axhar stays behind cover for now
  • Grok finishes off elf 40, and then strikes elf 10
    Axhar: ((done))
Grok: Grok smashes the foe down with brute strength! « 1d20+13 = 17 + 13 = 30 » for « 1d4+10 = 4 + 10 = 14 » damage Grok: Grok smashes the foe down with brute strength! « 1d20+13 = 20 + 13 = 33 » for « 1d4+10 = 3 + 10 = 13 » damage

Grok: ((AD spent for crit))

Grok: 1st one was

  • DolphinNationWarrior 40 saves for « 1d20+5 = 10 + 5 = 15 » vs 24
    Grok: second agaist 10

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((bonuses have been updated on Obsidian Portal … still trying to decide on feat and proficiency))

  • Grok surges of speed over to the captain for conversation
    Grok: ((yes))

Grok: ((He let fists do the talking))

Jessaila has received initiative.
Grok: ((done))

Malaina has received initiative.
Malaina: « 1d20+11 = 12 + 11 = 23 » Halberd; AP 5, Reach +1,Trip, Bleed, Hook, 19-20 Threat (17-20 for Favored Foes), Skull Crack @ 48

  • Jessaila casts Water Walk on herself.
  • Jessaila makes with the magic. « 1d20+13 = 10 + 13 = 23 »
    Malaina: ((Is that a hit, and if so, is their Wis lower then mine?))
Jessaila: ((Level 0 spell, should pass.))

Grok: ((if lower wis, auto fait))

Malaina: ((Auto Fail if they have lower Wis then mine))
  • Jessaila strikes with elfin speed and her fencing sabre. « 1d20+7 = 15 + 7 = 22 » tohit, « 1d10 = 2 » for damage. Touche! (If your target is a standard character with a lower Dexterity score than yours, he immediately fails his Damage save. 1/round.)
  • DolphinNationWarrior 48 slides backwards off his hippocampus, leaving his spear in the side of the boat.
    Jessaila: “All the time! Never meet any NICE elves. Just gaunt elves, and idiot elves who poke holes in my boat! WHY AM I THE ONLY INTELLIGENT MEMBER OF MY SPECIES?!”

Grok: ((who says you are?))

Malaina: “Jess, can you rant later?!”
  • DolphinNationWarrior Captain (Kamil) “You’re a nutcase lady! You wanna meet nice elves, what you hanging around Sharpie for? Where IS Sharpie anyhow??”
  • Axhar recommends elfharmony.com
    Jessaila: “I DON’T KNOW WHO THAT IS!”
Vari: « 1d20+9 = 17 + 9 = 26 » Intimidate
  • DolphinNationWarrior Captain “What? Then what are you DOING in his boat??”
    Thurirl: “I believe a better question is ‘who’, not ‘where’.”

Thurirl: “…ah. A case of mistaken identity.”

Seiankornai: “We stole this boat…”

Vari: « 1d6 = 2 » Stress Damage Jessaila: “THIS IS MY BOAT NOW!”
  • DolphinNationWarrior Captain chokes “YOU WHAT? WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE??”
  • Vari roars for everyone to SHUT UP!
  • DolphinNationWarrior 95 saves for « 1d20+5 = 12 + 5 = 17 » vs 17
  • Malaina blinks in surprise at Vari
    Malaina: “Vari, you’re so forceful! It’s about time!”

Isabis has received initiative.
Grok: ((start repairing Jess’s boat))

  • Isabis shoots her foe, hitting « 1d20+6 = 15 + 6 = 21 »
  • DolphinNationWarrior does « 1d6 = 2 » damage to #95
  • DolphinNationWarrior 95 saves for « 1d20+5 = 5 + 5 = 10 » vs 18
  • Seiankornai would shed a proud tear for Vari, if he wasn’t so angry and concentrating on the elves right now
  • DolphinNationWarrior 95 gives up his spear due to an arrow in the arm and urges his hippocampus downwareds
  • DolphinNationWarrior 80 « 1d20+3 = 6 + 3 = 9 » tries to get his spear back
  • DolphinNationWarrior Captain yells “Retreat!”
  • DolphinNationWarrior 80 « 1d20+3 = 15 + 3 = 18 » tries to get his spear back
    Jessaila: ((“Oh no you don’t, I want reparations!”))
  • DolphinNationWarrior mostly retreat…except for the unconscious and/or dead ones, and the one that is so determined to take his spear with him
    Malaina: “Ok, can someone PLEASE tell me what in the world just happened?!”

Thurirl has received initiative.

  • Thurirl sees a rather close target… and then the drake moves in, darn it.
    Grok: ((you have a bow, use it))
  • Seiankornai roars in his face
    Threaten « 1d20+10 = 2 + 10 = 12 » vs Resolve for « 1d6 = 3 » stress
  • DolphinNationWarrior rises out of the water and yells “Nothing personal! The boat’s marked for the Sharpman Pirates – we were hired to give them a message. Uh, Can we take our dead now, or are you still determined to kill us?”
  • DolphinNationWarrior 80 resolves to retreat with dignity? « 1d20+3 = 6 + 3 = 9 »
    Malaina: “Why in the bleep did you attack us?!”
Malaina: ((Either Isabis or Jess can smack the back of her head now or later for using such bad language for her young age)) Jessaila: ((Maybe later.))
  • DolphinNationWarrior Captain “Why in the bleep didn’t you sand out the pirate mark?!”
    Thurirl: “Malaina, I do not feel such language is appropriate for a young lady.”
Jessaila: “We didn’t know there was one!” Malaina: “What pirate mark?! We aren’t pirates we are sunchasers!”

Seiankornai: “Thurirl, Jess, did you not note a pirate mark, being from this area?”

  • Malaina narrows her eyes at Thurirl
    Jessaila: “Why don’t you tow us to the beach and we’ll talk this over?”
  • DolphinNationWarrior Captain turns an interesting shade of brown. “yes ma’am, sunchaser ma’am…oh kelp…we’re so dead…”
  • Seiankornai is annoyed
    Thurirl: “It has been a while. I did not consider any pirate marks when we were busy educating its former owners.”

Seiankornai: ((and perhaps Isabis and Thurirl can see whay they can do for their dead or near-dead))

  • Malaina is greatly annoyed and in turn, that makes Vari even more annoyed
  • Thurirl does his best to look threatening with a drawn arrow.
    Grok: ((an ogre, 2 drakes, elf and humans? What else could we be?))
  • Malaina puts her Halberd away, but folds her arms, frowning
  • Jessaila helps pull the boat to shore, still walking on the water.
  • Grok clambers aboard
    Seiankornai: ((drakes don’t really do much pirating, I would think ))

The less-panicked elves hitch up their hippocampi and tow you to the shore
The more-panicked elves eventually come back and take their injured and dead comrades in charge, disappearing into the deepest part of the stream.

  • Jessaila waits on shore for the captain, tapping her foot.
  • DolphinNationCaptain doesn’t come any further up the shallows than his hippocampus can swim
  • Thurirl stays close to Jessaila, looking very much the part of a fierce armed guard.
    Seiankornai: “Oh, good vocal projection, Vari, you must be growing bigger and strong.”
  • Vari looks down at himself, wondering if he hit another growth spurt
    Isabis: “Time’s passing. And you’re getting a lot of exercise and excitement, not to mention exposure to powerful magic. I shouldn’t wonder if you’ve grown more than you realize.”
  • Vari has noticed his saddle straps have been tighter around him lately
    DolphinNation_Captain: “So, um…no hard feelings? Bye.”
  • DolphinNation_Captain makes to leave
    Jessaila: “Get. Over. Here.”
  • DolphinNation_Captain pauses
  • Thurirl does his best to convince the elves on seacows that he’ll put an arrow through each one of them soon as look at ’em.
    DolphinNation_Captain: “Crazy lady, I got 5 dead-or-wounded I need to see to.”
  • Seiankornai lets the elf deal with the elves
    Thurirl: “May I humbly suggest then that you dismiss your men and let them deal with the wounded.”
  • Grok points his cannon in the elvish direction
    Thurirl: “Your presence here is… required.”
DolphinNation_Captain: “I’m not saying we didn’t step in it our own selves, but you did your damage. It was a mistake. Let us go.” Jessaila: “I want you to come up here and point out this mark.” DolphinNation_Captain: “Oh, it’s around here on the stern.”
  • Jessaila has a look.
  • DolphinNation_Captain points to a small rune painted on the stern down near the keel
  • Thurirl remains on the shore and keeps an eye on the subordinates. And an arrow.
    The subordinates nervously edge out towards the deeper channel
  • Thurirl nods in approval.
    Malaina: “They are scared enough Thurirl.”
Jessaila: “Thank you for pointing that out.” Jessaila: “We shall remove it.”

Thurirl: “It is wise to keep the rabble in check, all the same.”

Jessaila: “However, I’d like to acquaint you with the fact that I, as the representative of the original owner, appropriated this vessel back from the river pirates.” DolphinNation_Captain: “Uh, no problem. Good. You might put the sunwater symbol in it’s place – give mercenaries like us from making stupid mistakes, huh?” Jessaila: “If you still intend to deliver a message to said gang, I can tell you were to find them.” DolphinNation_Captain: “Oh?” Jessaila: “They were near Adrell two weeks ago.” Jessaila: “We manhandled them just a bit.”

DolphinNation_Captain: “Oh. Yeah, they were supposed to be, according to Stickman.”

Seiankornai: “Who is Stickman?”

DolphinNation_Captain: “Both ’near Adrell two weeks ago” and “manhandled a bit” except we were supposed to do the second part."

Thurirl: “I was curious about that name myself.”

  • DolphinNation_Captain gives Seiankornai a wary eye. “Guy with money. We don’t ask questions, it gets us more money.”
    Seiankornai: “A bit suspicious, those kinds of people. Though that it’s against pirates isn’t too bad.”
  • DolphinNation_Captain starts drifting away from shore again, only slightly more subtly than before.
    Jessaila: “Given the environment of Adrell, I wouldn’t doubt.”
Jessaila: “We apologize for killing your troops, by the way.”

DolphinNation_Captain: “Yeah, well….yeah. Thanks.”

DolphinNation_Captain: “Can I go now?”

Jessaila: “…do try to be more discerning next time, and fix your hair. It’s very badly messed up.”

DolphinNation_Captain: “My what?”

  • DolphinNation_Captain reaches up to smooth his hair.
    Jessaila: “Your hair. Toupee. Fuzzy folicles. Mop top. I’ve seen better haircuts on ogres.”

DolphinNation_Captain: “Aw, kelp. That style isn’t meant for surfacing in.”

Thurirl: “It does show.”

Jessaila: “For goodness sakes, you’re elves. Take some pride in yourselves!”
  • DolphinNation_Captain glares at Jessaila
    Malaina: “Maybe that is how they take pride in themselves Jess?”

Malaina: “Everyone has something they do different from everyone else.”

DolphinNation_Captain: “Big words, coming from one of the Enemies of the Sun.”

Malaina: “Maybe the kelp looks pretty floating in the water when they are under it?”

  • Seiankornai takes a moment to tell Grok the elves thought we were cowardly pirates and not mighty sunchasers
  • DolphinNation_Captain dives away. You can see him trying to fix his hair style underwater.
  • Jessaila chuckles.
  • Thurirl wonders who that last comment was addressed to.
    Isabis: “…who are the Enemies of the Sun?”
  • Jessaila turns around to review the distressing state of her boat.
    The boat needed repair already. Now it needs SERIOUS repair.
    Jessaila: “I’ve no idea.”

On the plus side, free spear!

  • Seiankornai takes it to pick his teeth of the game we’ve been catching
    Malaina: “Seian!”

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((afk))

Seiankornai: “What? Did you want it?”

Malaina: “Give that to Jess! It’s not a toothpick!”

Jamshid par-Bahadur: ((back))

Jessaila: “Hey, is that made of…”

You unload the boat and hike up to the portage way.
Isabis: (Alvaroy)

  • Thurirl helps to carry what loads he can.
  • Seiankornai hands it of to Jess, a bit disgruntled but in an amused way
    You whisper to Jessaila: the name of the alloy in question is “Alvaroy”
    Jessaila: “It’s made of alvaroy. That’s nice stuff!”
  • Seiankornai looks up the cliff, “So, Grok, Vari, and I have have to be the one to carry the boat itself up, I suppose.”
    Jessaila: “Well, I wonder if we can even repair the boat now…”

Malaina: ((I hope Vari’s increased Str helps))

Isabis: “Maybe we can pay someone to repair it while we keep going?”

Malaina: “Do we even have the materials necessary to repair it?”

Isabis: “Not in my pack, I don’t.”

Malaina: “I am sure if our three strong ones can carry it, we can get it repaired when we reach our destination.”

Jessaila: “If it’s just holes, we can patch it a bit.” Jessaila: “But I’m not even sure it’s worth repairing.”
  • Grok readies his rope for climbing the mountain
    Jessaila: “Maybe we shoud just ditch the boat and hoof it.”

Malaina: “Might not be a bad idea”

You resolve to pull it up further and come back for it later if it seems worth while.
Another 6 days of hiking up the riverside roads leads you to Faer Padris, where you are footsore enough to decide you’d rather look up the agent that spend another week hiking into the mountains just to hear the pitch from the horse’s mouth.

  • Thurirl makes sure to suggest they send a letter with the location to Jessalia’s father, in case he wants to salvage it.
    The agent’s address turns out to be a small office, nice enough, but surprisingly far away from the Library of Kings – or maybe it was chosen for that; the two Colleges are notorious rivals after all.
    Agent: “Hello Scholar, Gentlement, Ladies.”
  • Vari pouts because he has to wait outside
    Seiankornai: “Hello little man.”
  • Seiankornai doesn’t let something like being too big prevent him from poking his head in the door
  • Grok enlarges the entryway as need.
  • Vari peeks in via a window
  • Thurirl finds a non-descript corner and proceeds to be mistaken for a hat stand.
    There’s a “drake window” in the office, that is, a window that opens into a sort of cushioned ledge suitable for drakes to rest their necks on while sticking their heads inside.
  • Vari happily rests his neck on the cushioned ledge
    Agent: “Ahem. I’ve been asked to give you a thorough breifing on this mission – for some reason, they seem to feel strongly that you are the people for the job.”

Agent: “To start with, a brief review of certain pertinant history…”

Agent: ((wall of text alert ))

Agent: "It was our ancestress Lady Snowblade who solved the riddle of the moon pools, and led our peoples out of the Underheart – not that she led the escape alone, of course, but she opened the door for us, and she closed it again with her life. "

  • Grok takes a total defensive action
    Agent: "Now Lady Snowblade having died in the escape, our leadership was weak for a time. It was the Rascal who bested the drake-king in a riddle game and won a thousand years of peace for the Matha, so although we are Snowblade’s people we remember him next in honor. The Rascal’s own are the Janno in the plains, and that’s why they’re all so impossible about proper authority and cooperation; or maybe he had it from them, but either way they remember him clever and independent and don’t think enough on how he chose to work with others of his own free will, and – well. I’ll rant about that later, or you can read my monograph. "

Agent: “Anyway, Longtooth of the Ahset was swept down the Morubraid in battle agains the goblins and finally mingled his people with the dwarves in Moru’s Mirror. Between them, the dwarves and the Ahset produce the best soldiers, and never forget that the Crone is the enemy of everything. Brighteyes led her people in search of them, and the majority stopped in the swamp and got involved with trying to convert the Vessa and Erron in the middle of their conflict, and the Sharos call it their homeland still.”

Agent: “Now here’s the reason for the history lesson: Snowblade, as I said, was the one who knew the secrets of the moon pools. She was wise, and did not fail to notice that they were works of the Crone, and so she was concerned about leaving the secrets of the moon pools lying around where, well, anyone could find and read them.”

  • Agent grimaces
    Agent: “So she wrote her notes onto a scroll, and divided it into four sections, and divided them among the leaders – the Rascal, Longtooth, Brighteyes, and her own second in command.”
  • Seiankornai is particularly fascinated by this bit of exposition
    Agent: “You can probably see where this is going already.”

Seiankornai: "We get to collect them? "

Agent: “Oh please, I hope so. There are, of course, complications. Obviously, or we wouldn’t be begging sunchasers to do the job.”

  • Agent sighs
    Agent: “For example, some drake seems to have obtained the Matha fragment – I can’t imagine how it was allowed to happen.”
Jessaila: “Probably a bet in a riddle contest.”

Seiankornai: “Probably.”

Agent: “I wouldn’t put it past…well anyway, he doesn’t want to let us copy it, never mind buying it back.”

Seiankornai: “Hehehess, those silly Matha, still trying to beat us at riddles, sometimes we let them win.”

Agent: “Er. Ahem. The Dawnbringers hold the Sharos fragment, and have apparently threatened to beat up everyone who tried to negotiate with them for it? Seems out of character, but that’s the report I have.”

Jessaila: “Beat them up?”

Grok: ((Sounds like an ogre method of negotiating))

Agent: “The Ahset fragment is, depending on which agent you believe, lost of locked into some place with a flooded access tunnel. Or locked into someplace lost.”

Jessaila: “You’re kidding, right?”
  • Malaina looks a bit confused by that statement
  • Agent shrugs helplessly at Jessaila, adding “I trust you will be able to straighten out what’s really going on there.”
    Jessaila: “All the Dawnbringers I met would be horribly apologitic if they smashed a fly on the wall.”

Agent: “I know, I know… what can I say? Something in the report doesn’t add up, but I haven’t /been/ there myself.”

Jessaila: “Fair enough.”

Agent: “Anyway, the Library of Kings has already told the us that the Janno fragment is none of our business. Shortsighted fools.”

Jessaila: “So, collect all four pieces?”

Agent: “Indeed. The thing is, the Crone’s next best chance to make her attempt is very close now. Some of our scholars think that if we had /all/ of lady Snowblade’s notes, we might be able to figure out how to bolster the seal.”

Thurirl: “Perhaps not. They may fear, justly, that you are seeking to use the notes for neferious purposes. I might, were I in their position.”

Agent: “If you take the job, we will provide scrolls that will allow you to copy the portions of scroll without damaging them. You can ‘steal’ them from the unwilling without actually taking the originals away.”

Agent: “Will you do it?”

Malaina: “Sounds like we have alot of sneaking around to do for this mission.”

Seiankornai: “I suppose we can keep our eyes out for them if nothing else.”

Agent: “Convincing them to behave sensible is acceptable behavior too…”

Agent: “Except for the one the dwarves locked up and/or lost, we know pretty much exactly where they are.”

Thurirl: “I may be able to help with that one, if none of the others.”

Malaina: “Yes, you are our expert at getting information from someone.”

Thurirl: “That and I know a few dwarves. I am certain some of them may be willing to aid us in this endevor.”

Agent: “The contract is to seek out and obtain or duplicate all four portions. Pay is prorated, not equally, on the basis of number of portions recieved if you can’t complete the full contract for some reason.”

  • Agent mutters “such as the Crone getting her goblins in a row and invading first.”
    Seiankornai: “That would make the whole a bit mute, wouldn’t it.”

Thurirl: “Moot. The term you want is ‘moot’.”

Jamshid par-Bahadur is disconnected.
Jessaila: “Well, I’m in!”

Malaina: “Me too.”

Isabis: “This should be /fascinating/ .”

Seiankornai: “Might as well. I’ll have to talk to this drake, what’s his name? Or is it a her?”

  • Agent opens a folder full of notes and hands the sheet with the drakes info to Seinkornai; he gives the rest to Isabis
    Jessaila: “Maybe it’s a her. You could ask her out on a dinner date while we loot her hoard!”
  • Thurirl comes up behind Isabis and tries to read over her shoulder.
    Jessaila: “That was probably a failed attempt of humor, by the way.”

You whisper to Seiankornai: It’s a male, famous throughout the mountains for, ah, Extreme Eccentricy.
Jessaila: “…I’m sticking to human humor from now on.”

Seiankornai whispers: aha
You whisper to Seiankornai: To quote a previous King of the Matha, “He’s madder than the hatter in the rabbit hole, and twice as mean.”
Grok: ((seems like we are going after the in town one 1st))

You whisper to Thurirl: You learn the floor plan of the Library of Kings Historical Human Documents Archive
Seiankornai: “It’s not a her, unfortunately. Early head injury from a goblin, a bit eccentric and mad, though one of the best riddlers around, he can make amazing connections that most drakes can’t see right away.”

Agent: ((OK, anyone opposed to tackling the Library of Kings first?))

Jessaila: “Which is really saying something.”
  • Thurirl makes a mental note of something in Isabis’ files, then backs away without a sound.
    Grok: ((So investigate to find out any potential levers to us to use, followed by nicey/nicey diplomacy, and if that doesn’t work, smash and grab?))

Seiankornai: “And if it was a ‘she’ I still wouldn’t go out on a date just so you could steal from her hoard. Still might go out on a date though, as you put it.”

Seiankornai: “But for now, a visit to the library!”

Agent: ((Grok: Possilby sneak-and-grab, with ‘smash’ as a last resort for getting away once you have the copy))

Grok: ((so ammended. We starting this part tonight then or putting it off?))

Agent: ((it’s getting late. Let’s start next week.))

Thurirl: ((agreed))

Jessaila: ((Dittod))

Malaina: ((kk))

Agent: ((OK))

Game Saved
Log Saved

Log 58

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 57

Sunchasers DH Moochi