Log 96

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 95
Log 97

Host has connected.
Seiankornai has connected.
Malaina has connected.
Jessaila has connected.
Jessaila: There’s four. And Bandit’s on IRC

Thurirl has connected.
Seiankornai: there’s the Bandit

Thurirl: Yarr!

Grok has connected.
Seiankornai: And Grok!

Dragonhawk: Yay!

Jessaila: YAY!

Dragonhawk: Welcome back, Grok

Grok: Hello all.

Jessaila: Where’ve you been? We missed you! (Even though we didn’t get killed even once in your absence.)

Grok: I’m sorry for not contacting you earlier, but i kept forgetting the day.

Dragonhawk: Ah. Well, the good news is, you didn’t miss much, because other people were out sick. The bad news is, we still haven’t finished the dang dungeon

Dragonhawk: I anticipate no more than two more weeks (this one included) however, and then leveling up and moving on!

Grok: Well, I have some bad news too. I have work at 6 AM M-F, so i can’t really afford to stay up to play

Seiankornai: ((but now we have a chance!))

Seiankornai: ((awww))

Grok: Because of this, it looks like i’m going to have to take a break or drop out

Grok: sorry to disappoint you all

Thurirl: That sucks. =\

Grok: Yeah, it does

Dragonhawk: Yeah, but I always said “real life comes first” and it’s still true…

Grok: Unfortunately

Dragonhawk: I suppose we could try for a schedule change

Seiankornai: ((does that include tonight?))

Seiankornai: ((@Grok))

Grok: Yeah, it does. I can’t function on 6 hours of sleep, and do well, unfortunately.

Dragonhawk: yeah

Seiankornai: ((sad))

You whisper to Grok: Is this a permanent job schedule, temp, seasonal?
Grok: Yeah, it’s been fun

Thurirl: Sorry to see ya go, man. =\

Grok whispers: depends on what opens up. Right now, I see it lasting at least through December, maybe into the Spring
You whisper to Grok: Would you be able to play if we switched to, say, Fridays or are you going to be so en-busied anyway that it wouldn’t really help?
Tak has connected.
Grok whispers: that would work most weeks, but I hate to mess everyone else up
Thurirl: So… what do we do with the ogre?

Malaina: Back, sorry, and I am sorry to see you go Grok

Grok: typically, you use him for meat shield

Jessaila: Also back.

Dragonhawk: I propose this: let’s detatch Jamshid and Grok to escort paranoid guys home while we finish the scroll-assembly mission

Dragonhawk: and maybe the next thing

Seiankornai: that works for now, yes

Dragonhawk: Then we’ll contact Dave and Isaac and see if they’re available to come back in

Dragonhawk: If they are, their characters rejoin the party between missions

Malaina: sure thing

Grok: sounds good to me

Dragonhawk: OK

Dragonhawk: Sorry to lose you, but I wish you luck with the job etc. in the mean time

Jessaila: Indeed.

Jessaila: Grok always did make things more… lively and dangerous… for the rest of us.

Dragonhawk: It made things interesting ;()

Dragonhawk:

Dragonhawk: And kept the GM from always having my way, which really is for the best

Grok: Why thank you. My two goals were to cause trouble for players and GM alike, and to entertain. Glad to know I succeeded.

Thurirl: Heh.

Grok: Anyways, my bedtime is in 15 minutes, so I have to get ready for bed. Have a good time all, and take care.

Thurirl: You too! Take care!

Dragonhawk: OK, goodnight

Seiankornai: ok, have a good night

Dragonhawk: Thanks for telling us what’s happening

Malaina: Night!

Jessaila: Later

Grok is disconnected.
Malaina: and then there were 4

Seiankornai: ok, then, I guess we shall continue; at least diplomacy has a better chance or working out now

Dragonhawk: That’s true. It may speed up the completion of this dungeon crawl considerably.

When last we saw our heroes, you were having issues with an odd woman who claimed to be trapped in a library. However, she has now teleported away (yay?) and you have searched the area and found a few scrolls (yay!)
There are a few other areas (marked in yellow) which have been cleared of undead but not properly searched as yet.
Malaina: “I guess we search around and try to find a way out as well.”

  • Seiankornai searches the well room « 1d20+8 = 18 + 8 = 26 »
  • Isabis loots the library, stuffing things into Grok’s magic bag until he refuses to take any more books
    Seiankornai: *flick*flick*flick*flick* *poke*poke*poke*poke*
  • Seiankornai searches like a typical lizard does
    Seian suddenly pokes his nose right through a plaster panel covering a hidden door!
  • Jessaila helps Isabis in the raiding.
  • Jessaila searches. « 1d20+11 = 7 + 11 = 18 » (Search)
  • Malaina does her best to help
    Isabis: ((already searched the library, unless you’re looking for something specific))
Malaina: « 1d20+9 = 12 + 9 = 21 » Search
  • Seiankornai tries to open the door
    Seian discovers an unpleasantly narrow passage (for the drakes anyway)
    Seiankornai: ((oh drat, squeezing rules time))
  • Jessaila looks over.
    Jessaila: “I see Seian stuck his nose through the wall.”
  • Malaina peeks over
    Isabis: ((different room))
Malaina: “Oh dear, I think we better make sure he doesn’t get stuck.”
  • Isabis makes a quick survey of the rooms Grok cleared of enemies
    Isabis: “I think most of these are in such bad shape the fragment wouldn’t have survived if it was in them. Do you think they’d keep something like that in an armory?”

Seiankornai: “It seems to be a secret passage, like in those novals Isabis likes to read.”

  • Isabis sounds pretty dubious
    Isabis: “What novels now?”

Thurirl: “A hidden passage would give the builders better strategic advantages.”

Malaina: “I don’t know, the Fragment was probably too important to keep in some place anyone could find.” Isabis: “…well we are behind the throne, I think.” Isabis: “Probably back in the day, this was nobility row.” Jessaila: “Want me to go first?”
  • Jessaila draws her saber and prepares to enter the tunnel.
    Isabis: “Better you than me. Although Thurirl might be better than either of us.”
Malaina: “I’ll follow behind you, hey Thurirl, think you can send one of those lights with us?”
  • Jessaila is the scout, though.
    Thurirl: “Certainly! I need a moment to cast the spell…”
Isabis: ((well she doesn’t want to follow Isabis then ))
  • Seiankornai steps back to let JEss through
  • Isabis makes way for the sneaking experts to go first
  • Thurirl summons a few balls of light, each bright enough to illuminate 10 feet of space.
    Spellcasting Check: « 1d20+14 = 19 + 14 = 33 »
    (Bonus: +1 gear with Conceal Action checks and Diversions)
  • Jessaila has keen elven senses. « 1d20+12 = 12 + 12 = 24 » Notice
  • Seiankornai goes on to search more rooms while hte humanoids search the passage
    Seiankornai: « 1d20+8 = 17 + 8 = 25 » search
Jessaila: Elves are sneaky, and Jessaila is an elf. Therefore, Jessaila is sneaky. But she was raised by humans, so… « 1d20+8 = 15 + 8 = 23 » Sneak
  • Malaina draws her katana before following after Jess
    One of the kittens comes along and sneaks in with Jessaila
    Jessaila: ((With cat-like tread! Upon our prey we steal! In silence dread! Our cautious way we feel!))
  • Isabis puts away her bow in for the close quarters, but readies her hand-claw just in case.
    The rest of the animals are distracted at the well, getting a good drink
  • Jessaila reaches a fork in the tunnel and looks both ways before crossing the street.
  • Malaina decides to check down tunnel Jess passed by to see if it leads anywhere
    It looks like doors at the end of both forks
  • Jessaila signals to Mala and Isabis that she’s going right.
  • Jessaila listens at the door.
  • Jessaila has keen elven senses. « 1d20+12 = 17 + 12 = 29 » Notice
  • Malaina goes straight and goes to check out the door at the end of this part of the tunnel
    You whisper to Jessaila: you hear the muffled sounds of snoring, but not terribly close to the door
  • Thurirl stays near the tunnel entrance in case either parts of the party need his assistence.
    You whisper to Malaina: You hear the sound of a waterfall
  • Jessaila steps back and whispers to Isabis. “I hear snoring within – but not too close to the door.”
    Seiankornai: ((While they’re doing that I’ll search the remaining rooms; the other four 44’s « 1d20+8 = 1 + 8 = 9 », « 1d20+8 = 8 + 8 = 16 », « 1d20+8 = 20 + 8 = 28 », « 1d20+8 = 11 + 8 = 19 », and the 48 « 1d20+8 = 5 + 8 = 13 »))

Seiankornai: ((int counter clockwise order))

  • Malaina steps back a bit and sees if she can open up the door
  • Vari 1 waits anxiously at the door
    Jessaila: “Psst, Mala!”
Malaina: “Hmmm?”
  • Jessaila points at her door, and indicates someone inside sleeping.
  • Malaina looks to her door, but decides to leave it for now to see if they need to ambush anyone
    You whisper to Seiankornai: You find a loose treasure item, roll on the tables with -2 for pre-looted territory
  • Isabis waits at the intersection in case something comes in the less-guarded door
  • Isabis whispers “What’s behind the south door?”
  • Jessaila can go listen.
  • Malaina whispers back “I heard a waterfall.”
    Seiankornai whispers: “Any : 1L, Gem, Iolite (375sp) (7.11 Any : 17, 7.14 Loot : 17, Value : 15, gems : 18)”
    Jessaila: “Snoring first – then waterfall.”
  • Malaina nods in agreement
  • Jessaila evaluates the door to see if it’s locked.
  • Jessaila has keen elven senses. « 1d20+12 = 12 + 12 = 24 » Notice
  • Seiankornai comes up to Vari, “Look what I found, Vari!”
  • Seiankornai shows Vari a nice big blue gem
    Seiankornai: ((that looks like This))
Isabis: “Do we /want/ to talk to someone?”
  • Vari 1 goes over, looking impressed, becuase it is as blue as him
    Seiankornai: “Maybe there’s more, help me look!”

Jessaila: “I don’t know. Let’s see who it is, first.”

  • Vari 1 helps him look, eager to show off when Mala came back
  • Malaina gestures for Jess to do her thing
    The drakes search the room more thoroughly, and eventually find two smaller stones of the same type – it looke like it might have been an earrings and pendant set once upon a time
    Seiankornai: “Niiiice, one for each of us, though once you combine again you’ll have two.”
Isabis: ((but together they’ll have the same caratage as the bigger one Seian found, so it works out ))
  • Vari 1 looks sad at that thought
  • Jessaila opens the door, if unlocked (I wasn’t informed that it was…)
  • Seiankornai coks his head loooking at Vari, “Why do you look sad?”
  • Vari 1 looks embarrassed he was caught and cranes his head away so he can’t see his face
    Jessaila finds herself looking into …the back of a closet?
    The snoring is of course louder with the door open.
  • Malaina tilts her head, confused now
  • Jessaila evaluates the contents of the closet to see what kind of being may be on the other side of the door.
    Seiankornai: ((It IS like those secret passages in spy/mystery novals/shows))
Isabis: ((you’re on the wrong side of a hidden door, you see ))

You whisper to Jessaila: You’d say “short”
You whisper to Jessaila: Dwarf probably covers it…some of these are old noble’s robes, much the worse for time and smoke damage; others are newer but much rougher.

  • Jessaila gestures “Short” to the others.
  • Jessaila eases the door open just a bit and looks into the room.
    Modifying the fog-of-war manually without a server running affects only the global exposed area (i.e. the entire map), even
    if one or more tokens are selected. If you want your changes to apply to individual tokens, start a MapTool server with
    Individual Fog enabled (you can leave the Alias field empty to make an anonymous server, if you wish).

This warning will not appear again for this campaign.

  • Malaina figures that makes alot more sense
    Seiankornai: “It’s ok Vari, no need to be embarassed. What is on your mind?”
  • Jessaila slowly eases out of the closet, moving as silently as an elf.
  • Vari 1 continues to not look at Seian for a moment, then peeks outside to make sure his twin isn’t within hearing distance and then looks at Seian finally
    Jessaila is looking into (no shock) a bedchamber. In the near corner stands the remains of a large wooden sleeping compartment, badly gouged by axe blows and partially burned. There are also a table, bench, and writing desk of similar condition and age. The snoring seems to be coming from, not withing, but the other side of the sleeping comparment.
    Isabis: ((not within, even))
Vari 1: “….I’ve never had a brother before….and I know I will be sad when he finally disappears.”
  • Jessaila looks to see if she can spot the snore-ee.
    Seiankornai: “Ah, I see. Having two of you will be something that’s missed. Hess, though you also squabble with yourself like natural brothers too.”
  • Jessaila has keen elven senses. « 1d20+12 = 6 + 12 = 18 » Notice
    Seiankornai: “I wonder if he feels the same way, and I wonder how it will be for you once you do combine.”
Vari 1: “I don’t know…I can’t tell Mala, she will be sad.”

In the middle of the far wall, a space has been cleared for a common sleeping pallet. It is currently occupied by a dwarf looking more or less like the ones in the throne room, only not enlarged.
Dragonhawk: Jess, roll sneak

Seiankornai: “I don’t think she’ll be too sad, she’s a tough girl.”

Dragonhawk: listener: « 1d20+4 = 16 + 4 = 20 »

Seiankornai: “And she does already know that you’ll combine again, but if you’re feeling sad about it, letting her know will let her be able to comfort you too.”

Vari 1: “But I can’t let him know!” Jessaila: Elves are sneaky, and Jessaila is an elf. Therefore, Jessaila is sneaky. But she was raised by humans, so… « 1d20+8 = 3 + 8 = 11 » Sneak Thurirl: ((I think you just stubbed your toe. =P))

Jessaila steps ever so carefully…on a half-burned board, which snaps loudly
Seiankornai: “Why not?”

Thurirl: “…I believe I heard something.” Vari 1: “Cause…it will be embarrassing!” Thurirl: “Please pardon my absence.”

Suddenly the door opens, and a fully-alert dwarf in armor and holding a battle-axe looks in at you in suspicion.
Guard: “Who goes there?!?”

Jessaila: “Your mother.”

Sleeper: snort “Wha? Huh?”

Jessaila: “Now get back to bed, young man, and don’t let me catch you up again.”

Guard: “Cute. Even my mother may not attack our honored leader in his bed! En guard!”

Malaina: “Really? His mother?”

  • Guard steps fully into the room and raises his axe.
    Jessaila: “I was improvising.”
  • Jessaila adopts a fencing stance.
    Guard: “Who are you talking to?!”
  • Thurirl can barely hear the voices, but he gets the feeling something is going on…
    Guard: “GUARDS! INTRUDERS IN NIMIR’s CHAMBERS!”

Jessaila: “I don’t want to have to hurt you, but I don’t know where I am.”

Guard: ((you can all hear that yelling))

Thurirl: “…that is a less than optimal outcome.”

Malaina: “Knew I should have went through the door with the waterfall.”

Seiankornai: “I suppose it would be embarassing at first, but things tend to get better after that. Why, when I met this young fiest drakess, I could hardly get myself to tell her I liked her. It would be too embarassing. But I forced myself, you should have seen my tail twitching. And after that, one thing leading to another, she became my mate.”

Seiankornai: “So being afraid of being embarassed can keep you from a better relationship.”

  • Vari 1 listens, but then whips his head around when he hears the yelling
    Seiankornai: “…I think they’ve found someone.”
  • Vari 1 is frustrated he can’t fit
  • Malaina tries to shoo the kitten out of the room
    Seiankornai: ((Squeezing rules; can squeeze through an area half one’s facing; that looks to be a 5ft corridor, and the drakes have a 10ft facing, so we can fit; though we move at half speed and are flat footed))

Seiankornai: “Pull in your wings, Vari!”

  • Kitten goes up to the Guard and tries to beg for petting instead
    Guard: “Ack! Not now! Shoo!”
  • Guard doesn’t want to kick the kitten.
  • Malaina wonders if they should let the kitten handle this
    Guard: ((And the GM belatedly remembers to make the NPCs visible to players…))

Jessaila: “Hey, before we get to the fighty stuff, you’re not allied with that group of dwarves who let us search these chambers, are you?”

Guard: ((and there’s the bed-thing

Guard: “With…what? Who let you search which chambers?”

Jessaila: “The dwarves. They let us raid the undead chambers.”

Nimir: (disbelieving tone) “Are you the people that Ghared sent into the Wight?”

Malaina: “Yes, he didn’t last long and we pretty much cleared out the rest of the undead.”

Jessaila: “I forgot her name. Hey, what was that lady’s name?”

Isabis: “Ghared sounds right, I think.”
  • Malaina nods
    Seiankornai: (back at the drakes) “Well, I heard some shouting, but not fighting sounds so far. Hopefully they’re alright.”
  • Jessaila eyes the guard. “So, ARE you allied with that lady?”
  • Thurirl suggests Isabis could speak easier if she wasn’t in the tunnel… ((hint hint))
    Guard: “Why would Ghared let a bunch of elves into the king’s bedchamber?”

Jessaila: “…this is a king’s bedchamber?”

Jessaila: “Seriously, the tunnels dumped us out in the closet.”

Malaina: “Well, we came in a bit further north, she wanted us to clear out a chamber with the Wight and his undead.”

  • Isabis take a hint and moves up as far as the closet
    Nimir: “There’s a secret door into the wight spaces…um. Yeah, in the closet there where the rest of them are hiding.”

Malaina: “Then she closed the door, I think saying we had to find out own way out, and we kept going forward.”

Guard: “What?!? Why don’t we have someone posted there?”

Nimir: “Well, the smart one couldn’t get out of the room he was in, and the crazy ghost didn’t care about the door either way, and I like a little privacy when I sleep.” Nimir: “Besides, it was secret.”
  • Nimir sighs
    Malaina: “Look, we didn’t mean to intrude in the Kings Bedchambers, we’re looking for something and so far, we haven’t had any luck.”
Nimir: “Somebody should tell Ghared adventurers aren’t as easy to get rid of as 70-year dead wights.”
  • Thurirl pokes his head through the secret door.
    Jessaila: “So… can we discuss this like civilized people, or do we have to keep waving weapons at each other like barbarians?”
Thurirl: “We Sunchasers have proven to be a rather irritating group to many people, of that I have no doubt.” Nimir: “Stand down, Roghem.”
  • Malaina sheaths her katana
  • Guard uneasily backs up against the door and takes a guard stance.
  • Jessaila similarly sheaths her fencing saber.
    Nimir: “So…you cleared out the wight spaces. Find what you were looking for?”

Jessaila: “Not yet, no.”

Nimir: “What are you looking for?”

Jessaila: “But your people can probably occupy them now without too much trouble.”

Malaina: ((What’s it called again, I always forget))

Jessaila: “We’re looking for a Fragment of Lady Snowblade’s scroll.”

Nimir: “Huh…never heard of it.” Nimir: “Sounds like something that burns easy, if you’ll forgive my saying so…” Nimir: “Did you check that library?”

Jessaila: “We did, yes.”

Jessaila: “No luck. We did encounter a demon there, though she left.”

Nimir: “That’s the only place in our territory I’d expect to find an intact scroll.” Nimir: “…did you say you got rid of the succubus?!?” Nimir: “HOW?”
  • Malaina shrugs
    Thurirl: “We’re not certain, only that she seemed very satisfied at leaving.”

Jessaila: “Well, she was apparently bored and wanting to leave.”

Nimir: “Well, yeah, but some nutcase adventurer bound her there and got eaten by that dragony-thing in the mere. We never figured out how to release her so we could use the library safely.”

Jessaila: “Oops. Well, now she’s gone.”

Malaina: “Well, she’s not there anymore, so you can finally find what you want to find now.”

Nimir: “…come to think of it, you probably want to go to the mere, too. Nightscale has all the bigger stuff worth having in here anymore, except the forges themselves.”

Malaina: “Well, you’re leader did say something about a dragon….and it’s affinity to collect things.”

Malaina: “I have a feeling that is where we will find the scroll.”

  • Seiankornai bellows down the hall “Are you all ok?”
  • Nimir jumps
    Nimir: “Who’s that?”

Jessaila: “That’s one of our drakes.”

Guard: “Maybe that ogre they…oh.”

Malaina: “They can’t fit down the corridor.”

Nimir: “Oh? Too bad – the ladder to the mere is back there.” Thurirl: “I shall aleviate their concern.”
  • Thurirl slips away with nary a sound.
    Malaina: “I guess that is where we need to head next. I did hear water behind the door.”
  • Kitten bothers the guard until he gives up and picks her up to be petted
    Thurirl: “Pardon, my companions. We had a small misunderstanding… in the King’s bedchambers.”
Nimir: “When you return, do me the favor of knocking on the door politely instead of just barging in, eh?”

Seiankornai: “Oh… everyone alive?”

Guard: (muttering) “If they return. Nightscale might do what the wights couldn’t.”

  • Nimir gives the guard the hairy eyeball
    Jessaila: "Sure. We didn’t know there were friendlies in here, and so I was scouting the room for enemies.
  • Malaina waves and decides to head to the southern door
    Thurirl: “Indeed. They are not that hostile to our presence, merely surprised we are alive, and irritated at arriving unannounced while their King slept.”
Nimir: “Ah. Well, good luck with Nightscale.”

Seiankornai: “Ah, ok. so a dead end then, I guess.”

Nimir: (at the guard) “What is this, pets on duty? Go back to your post.”
  • Malaina tries to see if she can open up the door
    Thurirl: “Not entirely. There is still one more door to investigate.”

Seiankornai: “Oh, ok.”

  • Jessaila makes a polite bow to the king. “My apologies for the interruption and the misunderstanding, majesty.”
    Malaina can open the door; it requires two simultaneous latches, but both are obvious and neither locked. It’s probably an anti-skeleton precaution.
  • Malaina will wait until she has back up before opening the door and going through
    Dragonhawk: ((skeletons being mindless undead and thus not smart enough to figure it out))

Dragonhawk: "Bad news, drakes – you have to squeeze through. The way down to the local not-dragon resident is down this hallway.

Malaina: ((Jess, you coming?))

Isabis makes sure the scaled party members got the news

  • Jessaila follows Malaina, allowing her to take point now.
    Thurirl: “Ah. That’s convenient. Shall we away?”
  • Malaina opens up the door when she sees Jess is coming down the hall
    Seiankornai: “Ah, I see. Ok, I’ll go first, Vari, you can do what I do.”
  • Seiankornai pulls his wings in tight and squeezes in though the hall.
  • Vari 1 nods and waits
    Thurirl: “Do you require light, Malaina?”

Malaina: ((It’s like a conga line!))

Malaina: ((I don’t know what I see yet))

Malaina leads the way out onto a moderately deep ledge above a long drop. Waterfalls plummet down the western side of the pit; the northern side is graced by an old and slightly rusty chain ladder
Dragonhawk: (like a rope ladder, but less flammable))

  • Malaina goes through, but draws her Halberd just in case
    Jessaila: “Ooh. That’s a bit of a drop.”
  • Isabis kicks the ladder over the side; it unrolls down the cliff face
    Malaina: “Meh, I jumped off a much steeper cliff when I had to force Vari to use his wings when he was old enough.”
  • Seiankornai squeezes his way through
    Thurirl: “Hmm. Not an ideal method of transport between levels.”

Seiankornai: “I suppose this is what being prey feels like.”

Thurirl: “…I shall endeavor to forget you ever said that.”

Malaina: “So I suppose the only way to go now is down.”

Isabis: “Long way down, and not much room to fly.”
  • Thurirl would prefer the drakes not say those kind of things when directly behind him. It zings the “prey instincts” in the back of his mind.
    Isabis: “Although I suppose if you did it in a hover, you could go one at a time.”

Malaina: “Maybe we should climb down first, that way we can warn the drakes in case something attacks?”

  • Isabis squeezes against the walls to give the drakes a chance to get out of the tunnel
    Seiankornai: “That’d be best, provided there’s nothing waiting down there.”
Isabis: “I’ll go second then, that guarantees us light.”

Malaina: “I wouldn’t be surprised if there was.”

  • Thurirl sends a light over the pit. “That should give us some light as we descend.”
    Malaina: “So, who’s it going to be Jess, you or me? Rock, paper, scissors?”

Jessaila: “I don’t need to use the ladder. You go first.”

Thurirl’s light shows only the top of the chasm; the chain ladder falls below its sphere of good illumination

  • Malaina shrugs and goes over to the ladder, “Seian, let the Vari’s know I will see them down below and they better not argue.”
    Modifying the fog-of-war manually without a server running affects only the global exposed area (i.e. the entire map), even
    if one or more tokens are selected. If you want your changes to apply to individual tokens, start a MapTool server with
    Individual Fog enabled (you can leave the Alias field empty to make an anonymous server, if you wish).

This warning will not appear again for this campaign.
Seiankornai: “Ok.”

  • Seiankornai relays Mala’s message to the Vari behind him
    Isabis follows Malaina down 100 feet of ladder to a narrow landing with a bridge leading off it to the south.
  • Malaina tries to see what can be seen thanks to Isabis’ moon glow
    Listen check for Nightscale « 1d20+19 = 7 + 19 = 26 »
  • Jessaila descends the ladder, but with a careless manner that shows she doesn’t care much if she falls, so long as she doesn’t fall ON somebody.
  • Seiankornai examines the rock wall to see if it has plenty of claw holds
    Let the record show that Nighscale can totally hear the chain rattling and people talking
  • Thurirl leans over just enough to see the others. “Are you quite all right?”
    Minimal exploration reveals a second bridge further along the ledge; call it one path east and one path west.
    Malaina: “Come on down, we still have a ways to go.”

Seiankornai: “You better go Thurirl, so we can move down.”

You whisper to Malaina: notice check please
Malaina: « 1d20+13 = 19 + 13 = 32 » Notice

The river runs fast here, from southeast and east to west

  • Thurirl climbs down the latter, hoping the rust is just superficial.
    The ledges are many feet above water level near the bridges
  • Jessaila has a look about the ledge.
    Jessaila: “So, which bridge?”
  • Thurirl brings a light down to help.
  • Seiankornai attempts to climb down the rocky walls, using his wings for balance and lift (Athletics « 1d20+10 = 4 + 10 = 14 »)
    You whisper to Malaina: You notice the east bridge seems to be in questionable shape – visibly settling, leaning outward a little, and the stone seems oddly pitted
    Malaina: “I don’t think this bridge is very safe. Looks odd…”
  • Jessaila looks at the bridge.
  • Jessaila has keen elven senses. « 1d20+12 = 3 + 12 = 15 » Notice
    Seiankornai: ((AD « 1d6 = 3 »))
Malaina: ((What check would it take to get across the bridge?))

Seian slips and falls off the wall… DC 18 acrobatics check to get your wings under you before you fall
Isabis: ((my bad))

Seiankornai: ((only falls on a critical error))

Thurirl: “We should investigate its structure before crossing. You may be correct about its current state.”

Seian slips and digs his claws into the rock, holding on but not making much progress this way
Seiankornai: “A bit akward…”

  • Seiankornai tries continueing « 1d20+10 = 9 + 10 = 19 »
  • Seiankornai gets angry at the annoying climb (His Str increases by 3, and his bonus by 2, 21! )
    Isabis: ((you know, I said the drakes could try hovering down the shaft I’ll give you an acrobatics check vs. 15 to just jump off the ledge control your drop with your wings))

Seiankornai: ((fair enough))

Seiankornai: « 1d20+13 = 16 + 13 = 29 » acrobatics!

Malaina whispers: What check would need to be made to get across the east bridge?

  • Seiankornai is more graceful in the air even in a constrained environment than he is clinging to a wall
    Isabis: ((search check to examine the bridge and find the critical supports’ status))
Malaina: « 1d20+9 = 12 + 9 = 21 » Search
  • Jessaila searches. « 1d20+11 = 11 + 11 = 22 » (Search)
    Malaina: ((Could the Varis just slowly hover down?))
Thurirl: ((…why is there green stuff over us?))

The areas marked in green are under the chasm, and the Drakes can land there. To the west, the cavern is too low-ceilinged to fly. To the east, there is a low-ish archway over the bridge, but the sounds of moving water echo in what must be a very large chamber
Thurirl: “Now that we are all here, shall we choose our destination?”

The wolves howl disconsolately from the top of the ladder, but one of the kittens got down safely by stowing away in Isabis’s pack.
Malaina: ((Did Mala find out if she can cross the east bridge?))

Seiankornai: “I hope there’ll be an easier way back up.”

Jessaila and Malaina agree that someone reasonably light weight could cross the bridge safely, but perhaps not someone in heavy armor, and certainly not someone so large as a drake or ogre
Dragonhawk: ((do any of you wear heavy armor?))

Jessaila: ((Not I, said the little elf.))

Dragonhawk: ((Certainly not Isabis.))

Malaina: ((Nope, it’s moderate hardened leather with the Lightweight upgrade))
  • Jessaila goes ahead and carefully crosses the bridge.
  • Thurirl feels a pang of sorrow that he forgot about his pack. That wasn’t very “Alpha-like” of him, was it?
  • Seiankornai is next to naked, just has a drake cape and satchel
    Thurirl: ((nuuuuuuuu, mai puppies! D=))
Malaina: ((So Mala can cross the east bridge, no problem?))

Dragonhawk: ((oh, the western bridge is solid, and any of you can walk on it safely.))

Dragonhawk: ((I wouldn’t have marked it for a landing zone if not!))

Modifying the fog-of-war manually without a server running affects only the global exposed area (i.e. the entire map), even
if one or more tokens are selected. If you want your changes to apply to individual tokens, start a MapTool server with
Individual Fog enabled (you can leave the Alias field empty to make an anonymous server, if you wish).

This warning will not appear again for this campaign.
Dragonhawk: ((It’s the eastern bridge that will only take light characters))

  • Malaina will go with the others, figuring now isn’t the time to split up when they are probably close to that dragon
    Jessaila: ((Oh, I was confused about the bridges.))
  • Seiankornai explores west, finds a dead end
  • Jessaila follows Seian.
    The river goes into a tunnel to the west
    Seiankornai: “Not much over here. Back to the bridges.”

Dragonhawk: ((you characters wouldn’t know it, but if you fell in there you’d come out where the ropers used to live))

Seiankornai: ((ahhhh))

Malaina: “Well, to the east bridge then.”
  • Thurirl sends his lights around to help keep things visible.
  • Jessaila returns to the bridge.
    Modifying the fog-of-war manually without a server running affects only the global exposed area (i.e. the entire map), even
    if one or more tokens are selected. If you want your changes to apply to individual tokens, start a MapTool server with
    Individual Fog enabled (you can leave the Alias field empty to make an anonymous server, if you wish).

This warning will not appear again for this campaign.
Malaina: “This doesn’t seem ominious.”

Malaina crosses, Isabis following closely with her critical magic light for Malaina. She lights up…one end of…a large cavern mostly full of lake.
Malaina: ((Would the drakes be able to glide across?))

Thurirl: ((Maybe jump it?))

Dragonhawk: ((under the low arch? Jump is more practical))

  • Vari 2 looks a bit wary about the distance
    The bridge is technically not much longer than Vari…on the other hand, Isabis wouldn’t want to /have/ to jump her own height either
    Seiankornai: ((it looks like the drakes could just strectch-step over the bridge))
Vari 2: ((Slow going, but I think it could work))

Dragonhawk: ((Let’s say the drakes need acrobatics vs. 12 to stretch-step-hop over the bridge))

Seiankornai: “Get a firm grip on the tail of the one in front, and we should be able ot step over safely.”

Seiankornai: “After Thurirl crosses.”

Dragonhawk: notice checks from people on the souther ledge

  • Jessaila has keen elven senses. « 1d20+12 = 20 + 12 = 32 » Notice
    Vari 2: ((Let Seian go first, Vari’s Acro roll would just be a +3 and the dice are sometimes not nice to him))
  • Jessaila sees everything. She was, after all, once a mother.
    You whisper to Jessaila: You hear a soft splash, and glance up just in time to see a scaled head sinking under the dark waters of the mere
  • Seiankornai gently crosses teh bridge, mostly stepping on rock ((Acro « 1d20+13 = 3 + 13 = 16 »
    Jessaila It looks about the size of Seian’s head
    Dragonhawk: (( sigh…it drives me nuts that I can typo one character and go from a whisper to a shout >. ))
  • Jessaila immediately points.
  • Thurirl keeps his lights back, fearing they might find the dragon already…
    Seiankornai: “Make way.”

Jessaila: “Head – about the size of Seian’s head. It went under the water.”

  • Vari 2 does what Seian suggested, grabbing onto his tail to cross carefully
    Isabis: “Is that our giant drake?”

Seiankornai: “Ah, so he, or she, is home.”

  • Vari 1 makes sure that kitten stays put
  • Isabis tries to catch sight of the figure, but she’s too far under the dark waters now…
  • Jessaila has her bow in hand, though no arrows… yet.
    Seiankornai: ((is this a beach or high ledge? could Seian just slink into the water himself?))
  • Malaina has her hand on the hilt of Rostislasi
    You whisper to Jessaila: You notice a new series of ripples appearing, much closer to the legdge this time
    Jessaila: “Look! Ripples in the water. Watch out!”

The ledge here is only about a foot above the water, which moves much more slowly in teh wide lake

  • Jessaila casts Magic Vestments on herself.
    Suddenly a looong neck rears out of the water.
  • Thurirl slinks back to the wall and does his best to blend in. (Stealth check: « 1d20+13 = 20 + 13 = 33 »)
    Thurirl: ((“I’m Batman, dammit!”))

In a deep slightly quavering voice, the black-scaled creature demands: “Who dares invade the lair of the g-great and powerful Nightscale?”
Game Saved
Log Saved

Log 95
Log 97

Logs Index
Main Page

Log 96

Sunchasers DH The_Grand_User